Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm not saying you can't take pride in being an out of touch old man, I'm saying that Larian is not implementing RTWP, and people who are upset by it are a vanishing minority.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
will rob the plot of a grounded progression
BG... Grounded... Nigga, both BG games started with powerful mages exploding bunch of people with pew pew spells. In cutscene.

They don't actually start with that though. Those cutscenes come after about an hour of play, give or take. In BG1 the beginning area is used to establish some dramatic tension - equip yourself, you're in a hurry, there are even people trying to kill you - and in BG2 the starting dungeon is used to sketch out the character and motivations of the main antagonist. In other words, the time is put to good use establishing invididual characters, setting, and other story elements. THEN the cool high-powered showdown happens. And even there, only the worst capeshit-loving, funko-pop-collecting, gay-for-swen shills contend they have the zomg epic feel of the BG3 opening.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
'm saying that Larian is not implementing RTWP

Concurrent Turns and speed up animations and RtWP are two different things.

I don't like Larian, but is thanks to LArian re popularizing TB that PoE2 and Pathfinder Kingmaker/Wrath got turn based modes. Temple of Elemental evil was TB and allowed concurrent turns, so you don't need to wait 20 enemies taking his turn. And Dark Sun Shattered Lands/ Wake of the Ravager offered a option to skip up animations for faster gameplay.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
2) "Spelljammers and mind flayers are not an appropriate start to a game." vs "Saverok and Gorion were just as epic!"

There's some basic difference in personal taste going on where one group prefers a personal antagonist, an organic growth of tension, and some residual sense of the human scale they are used to in real life, and the other has fried their already subhuman brains with the grossest forms of pop culture consumerism. Needless to say, they are both equally valid, and I would never claim that one is better than the other.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Characters used to work up to that sort of content, it wasn't a case of "I saw an Intellect Devourer the other day, disgusting creatures."
It's like saying "99% of people never was in a crashing plane so crashing planes don't exist" Yes, most of the people never met mind flayers. so what? Your character was not so lucky. If shit exists in their world there is nothing wrong with setting anyone against it. It's not like mind flayers or dragons are "i eat only epic level mages!" Lvl 0 commoner can be eaten too.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
As has been pointed out, the sudden appearance and crashing of a Spelljammer in the Realms would at the very least cause a huge stir among groups that want to keep the existence of Realmspace a secret. At the very least the place ought to swarm with Harpers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I think BG3 should have is fog of war. Right now you can scout the whole damn map with your floating camera, and in general you just see way too much ruining any surprises.

Coincidentally the second video also shows how stealing items always makes the NPC behaviours fall apart
Conversely you have also moments like this:

I'm not going to pretend the game is perfect (hell if I'm not in first line constantly remembering the devs of its shortcoming) but let's also not pretend that this degree of accountability for the player's actions is common place in the genre.

jackofshadows

Magister
One thing I think BG3 should have is fog of war. Right now you can scout the whole damn map with your floating camera, and in general you just see way too much ruining any surprises.
Oh yes! Even limiting camera float around woudn't work well considering how terribly cramped the map is. I mean, you have stealth system, let the players either carefully scout ahead, to suddenly stumble on something really cool or even got into ambush/trouble. Nope, let them just look ahead. Immersion, my ass. I guess any surprises will be implemented via sweet cool cut-scenes.

Harthwain

Magister
There are three sorts of conversations here:
You need two people to have a conversation. What you're speaking of is a single grandpa* constantly grumbling "back in the old days..." over and over.

* Well, not a real grandpa, but you get the picture.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This thread is a localized proof that time goes in circles, and grandfathers repeat the mistakes of their grandsons. There are three sorts of conversations here:

1) "Wizards are weak, and Larian hates them. Back in my day, disintegrate..."
2) "Spelljammers and mind flayers are not an appropriate start to a game." vs "Saverok and Gorion were just as epic!"
3) "Why didn't Larian implement this backwards and/or unnecessary thing their customer base doesn't want?"

Very occasionally, it takes a break to discuss something like paladin eunuchs, before the wheel of time restarts again. I pray lord Swen will release this thread from this miserable loop with a fresh batch of content, but even that might be not enough to break the spell.
Dude. Dude. Dude.

You weren't around for the previous thread. Now, THAT was truly something else.

Here, have some fun:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...arly-access-released-go-to-new-thread.127856/

EDIT: fuck, I just remembered that that thread spawned not just one but TWO heated discussions about bread. Good times.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This thread is a localized proof that time goes in circles, and grandfathers repeat the mistakes of their grandsons. There are three sorts of conversations here:

1) "Wizards are weak, and Larian hates them. Back in my day, disintegrate..."
3) "Why didn't Larian implement this backwards and/or unnecessary thing their customer base doesn't want?"

Very occasionally, it takes a break to discuss something like paladin eunuchs, before the wheel of time restarts again. I pray lord Swen will release this thread from this miserable loop with a fresh batch of content, but even that might be not enough to break the spell.
Dude. Dude. Dude.

You weren't around for the previous thread. Now, THAT was truly something else.

Here, have some fun:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...arly-access-released-go-to-new-thread.127856/

Oh yeah where did that derail to again? I vaguely remember illegitimate borders on the Balkan and language fragmentation after the collapse of the roman empire being retardo'd from it.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw i reconsidered. Day/night is very important! I mean night can do something Irenicus couldn't - it forces people to close shops!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Imagine if devs sucked journo cock like Owlcat is doing with Carnage

Owlcat sucking up to cohhcarnage actually seems like a good idea. He has a large audience and influence but unlike journalists, they actually know he's competent enough to engage with the game because they've seen him play their other game. I use to think streamers being used for marketing and getting early access was a silly idea but it actually makes a lot more sense and seems a lot better than giving all the influence and early access to reviewers.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh totally, and Carnage is baby steps along the path I’m suggesting. But just imagine if Carnage were as good at Wrath as the DOTA or League of Legends or whatever pros are at their games.

Carnage Haploing 100 AC shit on Unfair would be insane. Instead they’re like oh Cohh maybe don’t go that way yet you know how sadistic our devs are!

Gargaune

Magister
It's not like mind flayers or dragons are "i eat only epic level mages!" Lvl 0 commoner can be eaten too.
That would be cool, though. Character levels could be like Michelin stars for dragons. "I only dine in Waterdeep, their Clerique Flambé is positively epic!"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh yes! Even limiting camera float around woudn't work well considering how terribly cramped the map is. I mean, you have stealth system, let the players either carefully scout ahead, to suddenly stumble on something really cool or even got into ambush/trouble. Nope, let them just look ahead. Immersion, my ass. I guess any surprises will be implemented via sweet cool cut-scenes.

Mentioned this before, but I'm actually surprised there isn't a third person mode. It would go around this issue completely... and well, a mode for those that want "immersion" I guess. The game looks good enough for it at least, and for me personally it would feel better. I have a bad time controlling the camera in this game :/

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Mentioned this before, but I'm actually surprised there isn't a third person mode. It would go around this issue completely... and well, a mode for those that want "immersion" I guess. The game looks good enough for it at least, and for me personally it would feel better. I have a bad time controlling the camera in this game :/

Yeah felt like I should have been making union wages as much as I was swinging that boom around to capture all the action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom