Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They should implement all of the races and classes they're going to so people can test them and screw around and then fill out the rest of the level and area content.

Right now it looks like they're doing the opposite? I guess figuring that if they finish it, you could play it end to end with base classes and then replay with new ones.

But shouldn't it be relatively trivial to implement most classes now that the basic structure and most spells have been developed?

Shrimp

Arbiter
They should implement all of the races and classes they're going to so people can test them and screw around and then fill out the rest of the level and area content.

Right now it looks like they're doing the opposite? I guess figuring that if they finish it, you could play it end to end with base classes and then replay with new ones.

But shouldn't it be relatively trivial to implement most classes now that the basic structure and most spells have been developed?
My guess is the intention is to save some of the classes for the full release. Partially to avoid people exhausting every available class (even though the EA version only goes up to level 4) and partially so they can point out how much 'new' stuff there's in the full release.

Salvo

Arcane

My guess is the intention is to save some of the classes for the full release. Partially to avoid people exhausting every available class (even though the EA version only goes up to level 4) and partially so they can point out how much 'new' stuff there's in the full release.
I don't think there's reasoning behind any of Larian's decisions

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Video game players will continue to decline and decline developers

If was on 90s/earlier 00s, a game like DOS2 would flop due the shit mechanics. This is why I don't hate Larian. Larian is just making declined games for a declined market. D&D 4E if launched today as a CRPG would be considered "good" by many. And on mmo, would be seem as the salvation of the mmo genre. On tabletop, it would still fail, but would't be a critical failure like was cuz despite RPG genre declining quickly, the decline is far less quickly on tabletop.

There are Larian cultists who say that we hate everything that is modern. Which is wrong. Pathfinder Wrath of The Righteous and Knights of the Chalice 2 are amazing games. Larian cultists should play more turn based games. I can get someone who is used to modern declined games liking DOS2. But DOS2 above ToEE and Dark Sun on Codex is unthinkable. ToEE is the most faithful 3.5E adaptation into a video game, made by the glorious Troika games.

16859.jpg

16861.jpg

16867.jpg

source : https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11193

What is really triggering to me is how wake of the ravager is underrated.

"Since most people thought DOS 1 and 2 were good, that means NOTHING about them was wrong and Larian can't be questioned at all".

Exactly and if you point out that despite the few good things, DOS2 has a lot of problems. Like the WORST armor system ever, the shit tier itemization, awful progression, low lethality and so on, you are a larian hater neckbeard.

They're working on implementing higher level abilities for the current classes.

I wonder what "high level" is for Laraian... If Larian is giving Netherese magical nukes to lv 1 wizards, and has you escaping a mindflayer spelljammer ship on the beginning of a low level campaign, and meet "lv 4 archdruids", I wonder what Larian considers a "high level ability" and how crazy a campaign with "high level abilities" will gonna be.

On DDO, at lv 8(reincarnated few days ago). I was doing quests like clear the sewers from kobolds, fight the local gang and the most epic thing which I did was to fight slave trades on the against slave lords adventure pack.

Also wonder how Larian will screw up "high level" abilities and spells. They can't even make firebolt cantrip right. Fireball will probably dish 5d6 damage and create a surface area which requires concentration and deals 3d6 damage on next round or something silly like that. Animate dead will only animate one CR 1/5 mob and you will be unable to use it properly. And larian would probably consider this low level spells "high level".

Saravan

Savant
This has to be like the 50th time I have read this exact post from you Meredoth but I appreciate the pictures they are very colorful.

Vatnik Wumao
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I still can remember Victor being mildly enthusiastic about BG3, but there was a moment he discovered something that broke his faith in the game. Something related to disintegration or some shit.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but there was a moment he discovered something that broke his faith in the game. Something related to disintegration or some shit.

Nope. Was when I spended 1 hour and 13 minutes killing goblins.

They just need to add in a dragon transformation and he'll become a fanboy

Nope. Just add the option to use 3/2E spells and hp values, make the lv cap consistent with the adventure and I would love BG3.

Mortmal

Arcane
I still can remember Victor being mildly enthusiastic about BG3, but there was a moment he discovered something that broke his faith in the game. Something related to disintegration or some shit.
Well viktor went through many things, puberty first hormonal and temper changes, then trying true pen and paper rpg for the first time in his life. He probably realize crpgs arent that deep , worse he played some OSR clone so casters are stronger. Then playing pathfinder WOTR beta , in BG3 you have a few choices , low casters levels only, very limited subclasses, no necromancy. In pathfinder dozens and dozens of classes , subclasses , feats, you can turn into lich and cast over 9000 damage spells...Final nail in the coffin is probably solasta.
So after all of this its no surprise he finds BG3 a bit lacking now specially there's still only act 1 after all this time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
puberty first hormonal and temper changes, then trying true pen and paper rpg for the first time in his life. He probably realize crpgs arent that deep , worse he played some OSR clone so casters are stronger. Then playing pathfinder WOTR beta , in BG3 you have a few choices , low casters levels only, very limited subclasses, no necromancy. In pathfinder dozens and dozens of classes , subclasses , feats, you can turn into lich and cast over 9000 damage spells...Final nail in the coffin is probably solasta.
So after all of this its no surprise he finds BG3 a bit lacking now specially there's still only act 1 after all this time.

S&W was not my first TT rpg. I played a lot of 3E on high school(2010s). S&W Was my first "online tabletop RPG". My group is heavily magical based and tabletop games are group activities, SP rpg's, solo activities. That said, on the table, I prefer to be the guy who makes our monk invisible and buffs him and our druid than the guy who spams evocation spells or creates massive armies. At moment, I an lv 12 on S&W. In video games, is different, since are solo activities. I will play KoTC2 as a Dark Wizard, but if KoTC2 was a "group game", I would probably pick the green wizard and focus more on party buffing.

But in one point you are right. I an used to old school style of RPG's and BG3 is a lot more modern.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You must've hated Icewind Dale.

I loved icewind dale 1/2. I know that is heresy here, but I prefer EE for IWD 1.

Lacrymas' bizarre setting,

Lacrymas eunuch paladin setting is the best part of this thread. And was easier for him to find a group for his setting than was for me to find a OSR group who don't like low level. The DM would't be able to DM on next week and I gave a idea of a ship of horrors one shot on 2E which is close to OSR. I asked to everyone to make a lv 10 char and send me the character sheet till Friday on my e-mail/discord. Will gonna be a one shot and I don't believe that the party will go much further, but will try "speed run" the module in two days and see how long they can go before they die or the campaign ends. Obviously I will keep the rule alterations made by the DM IE - Ascending AC instead of THAC0/normal AC, our way to calculate initiative and handle multiple summons and have to make a lot of alterations on dungeon designs to work for a very short campaign which will last one or two days at maximum. Will gonna be fun. First time DMing a game which isn't 3/*rd edition.

Harthwain

Magister
but there was a moment he discovered something that broke his faith in the game. Something related to disintegration or some shit.

Nope. Was when I spended 1 hour and 13 minutes killing goblins.
You must've hated Icewind Dale.
I loved icewind dale 1/2. I know that is heresy here, but I prefer EE for IWD 1.
In the beginning you spend quite some time killing Goblins in both Icewind Dale games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In the beginning you spend quite some time killing Goblins in both Icewind Dale games.

Only the beginning of the game. And you can easily charm one or two of then and move out and let then kill themselves. They are only common during the prologue and most importantly. Don't have enough hp to soak 5+ shots from a heavy crossbow and walk as if is nothing.

Mojobeard

Augur
There's more than enough of valid things to complain about, fighting various amounts of goblins in low level D&D is not one of them.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And what’s with this retarded ‘I an’ shit, Victor? This is even more painful to read than your nonsensical rants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom