Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

There was an option to kill them both on a spot after releasing. Didn't do it tho because the game encouraging stacking companions for managing stuff. You mean it was impossible thing to do?
I honestly don’t remember, but maybe you’re right.

Not being able to make your own created NPCs into advisors majorly gimps you if you don’t get a named npc.

Even DOS2 didn't only have five companions. Plus didn't they say in interviews they were working on a few more?

They hardly will come even close to the BG2 companion amount if they keep up this origin story shit.

The game is so profitable already I could them hiring more folks so that they can expanse the companion options. Plus there are Mercanaries as Companions.

Mercenaries that don't come with banter, a unique personality, custom sound voices, and so on? No thanks.
Wait, how do I get mercenaries? Sounds like a great option.

Mortmal

Arcane
Why do you assume that there will be a companion for every class? This is not a bioware game,it is larian one,and they have always given you companions in the first chapter. I don't think that they will be actual companions,maybe factions liaisons like in dragon age origins,or something similar. Most likely that is the reason why they decided to have only 4 member party. Dos2 had 5-6 companions,depending if you are custom character or premade,they also killed of the other 2-3 characters in the second chapter.
Maybe not a companion for every class, but do you honestly think that we are not getting AT LEAST a dwarf, a drow, a tiefling, an elf, and a gnome as companions?
:hmmm:
Did you play the last two larian games? What makes you think that those are not all the companions? The loading screen shows only them,i doubt that there will be more.
According to Swen, around 130 people worked on D:OS 2, while more than 300 worked on BG3. And a D&D game like this can't have only 5 companions. It's just not possible, my mind isn't able to comprehend it. Maybe they will go for some sort of sidekicks that don't have an origin story attached and that can't be selected during character creations, but I refuse to believe that they don't plan to add new companions to the game.

Even if 2022 comes and the full game gets released without additional companions, I will still stand behind my statement.

When 2025 comes and BG4 gets released in early access, I will still stand behind my statement.

The day I die, I will die screaming that it is not possible for a D&D game like this to have only 5 companions.
300 but many sub studios for the 3D models animation , for the writing alone the 7 cuck squad as they like to be called, that seems already a lot for not so much text . We dont know of the work ethics either , maybe its a cool place with no crunch at larian with reasonable hours.. Anyway i think most of work time was spent on the visuals .Its always like that gameplay doesn't evolve much .

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wait, Solasta is confirmed not to have multiclassing?

https://forums.solasta-game.com/forum/multiclassing

Everyone hyped for Solasta who has ever played 5e is a moron. 5e without multiclassing is like cooking without spices, including salt.
That said maybe modders really manage to make that work.
Solasta is going to be Raw 5E no expanded official rules?
Into the trash it goes

There will be feats and stuff

Lol 5e feats.

5e Feats are pretty powerful, although they are largely making their own feats because the only feat that is in the SRD is grapple.

5e feats are mechanically boring and outside of like, five , are little more than stat modifiers with some flavor. I can probably count on one hand the amount of feats that are actually useful:

Great Weapon Master
Sharpshooter
Lucky
Polearm Master
War Caster

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great Weapon Master
Sharpshooter
Lucky
Polearm Master
War Caster

Magic Initiate (For Booming Blade on Rogues)
Crossbow Expert
Sentinel

There are some tier 2 feats that are still deece after that:

Resilience
Medium Armor Master
Dual Wielder
Healer
Shield Master

I have seen some people pull off stuff like Mobile, Charger and Spell Sniper aswell, but there it gets very specific.

Generally 5e feats aren't atrocious, but there are nowhere near enough to replace a multiclassing system.

Sherry

Arcane

Who can still say decline after that :)

Hi.

wtf. Wtf. WTF!

omg like how what is this some Emily Skrutskie visual novel or because this wtf okay? :argh: Okay! This is just like the second game where non-spoken dialog is voiced like someone is whispering in your ear telling you what the other person is doing to you because you can't feel it or right? And why does he look constipated through the entire scene what is going on so this better not be some plot gate forcing you to witness this so wrong. *she rubs your buttocks and pulls out the sword hilt that was causing you so much discomfort on your face* I cannot believe this is next generation adventuring and as someone else mentioned it is Sword Coast okay? so why does it look like mediterranean place right? 6 more pages what else am I going to see.

Okay so to all the fans of the second game that played it are they reusing art assets from that game at all and recycling them or is there a difference in the art direction from Divinity 2 and BG3? Anyone notice either way?

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:
Unwanted

You

Unwanted
Here is her song. This is Lohse voice actress singing again I think.

incline, not at all like those same cringy attempts by bioware in origins and inquisition at disney singing

bethesda and cdprojekt have no idea what they were doing with their bards this is the way to do it

Gargaune

Magister
There was an option to kill them both on a spot after releasing. Didn't do it tho because the game encouraging stacking companions for managing stuff. You mean it was impossible thing to do?
I honestly don’t remember, but maybe you’re right.

Not being able to make your own created NPCs into advisors majorly gimps you if you don’t get a named npc.
I also recall there being an option to kill them at that point, but I didn't try it either. As for mercs, you actually can appoint them as advisors, they patched that in some time ago. They're less effective on rolls and they'll always select the "neutral" option in kingdom upgrades, but they do okay in a pinch. That said, the lack of a Force Attack option in Kingmaker was one of its more disappointing shortcomings...

... Which brings me back on topic and one dear to my heart - I saw on a BG3 stream that there is a context menu on NPCs, so can you murder your own companions at will? :D I also recall that in the first reveal, Swen accidentally hit Shadowheart and mentioned that they hadn't yet built a reaction for it, is there one now?

Mortmal

Arcane

Who can still say decline after that :)

Hi.

wtf. Wtf. WTF!

omg like how what is this some Emily Skrutskie visual novel or because this wtf okay? :argh: Okay! This is just like the second game where non-spoken dialog is voiced like someone is whispering in your ear telling you what the other person is doing to you because you can't feel it or right? And why does he look constipated through the entire scene what is going on so this better not be some plot gate forcing you to witness this so wrong. *she rubs your buttocks and pulls out the sword hilt that was causing you so much discomfort on your face* I cannot believe this is next generation adventuring and as someone else mentioned it is Sword Coast okay? so why does it look like mediterranean place right? 6 more pages what else am I going to see.

Okay so to all the fans of the second game that played it are they reusing art assets from that game at all and recycling them or is there a difference in the art direction from Divinity 2 and BG3? Anyone notice either way?

Thanks,
Sherry

Plot wise it makes sense he looks constipated , he try to resists the temptation , and everyone can guess how hard it can be for him to resist such a gorgeous dwarf woman with perfectly trimmed beard. You know how hard it is for the little guys ,given the lower female to male ration, a whole life slavering in mines to be able to afford a bride. It's pretty much obvious there will be consequences if he accepts and he will lose his free will if he gives in.

Reinhardt

Arcane
In AD&D no spider in the RAW could have health that high since they were focused on the ~verisimilitude~ of the world http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/s/spider.html
Right. And a domestics cat kills a commoner, due to lower AC and more attacks per round.
http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/c/catsmall.html
2611098_original.gif

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
GOG installer of "BG"3 will put temporary shit into C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp

I have a 150GB SSD for Windows with barely 5-10 GB free, which means I'm fucked?

I'll try changing the environment variable... What the fuck GOG?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

Just move the folder and do a /D symlink. I do that all the time because I don't like the idea of retarded shit like browser caches and log files using an SSD's write lifespan.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I have played the game for several hours.
- the inventory management is hell (or I still don't know how to use it properly)
- the free 3D camera + pathfinding makes for a poor combat experience (the scenery is so loaded you don't realize where the high ground is or how can you get there)
- I didn't find any delay turn button (or it is not implemented at all)
- too many empty containers (or with junk items), you need to check them all and you lose a lot of time for nothing
- UI is terrible

I have the feeling almost 3/4 of the time spent playing the game is doing unfun stuff, fighting the interface, rotating the camera etc

Yes, they reused graphic assets from DOS 1 or 2.

Hi.

wtf. Wtf. WTF!

omg like how what is this some Emily Skrutskie visual novel or because this wtf okay? :argh: Okay! This is just like the second game where non-spoken dialog is voiced like someone is whispering in your ear telling you what the other person is doing to you because you can't feel it or right?
The narrator is an odd choice from a video game perspective, but a fine choice from a D&D perspective, since a dungeon master would (assuming a DM would consent to love scenes) be the one explaining such things to you.

The entire game is designed from the perspective of providing the player with an experience of a 5e PnP game without the PnP.

In a way, it's a slight improvement compared to all the Mass Effect cinematic garbage that we've had to put up with the past 10 years, in spite of the fact that it embraces it by having cinematics at all.

Also...

I haven't played to this point yet, but I'm pretty sure that love interest is a mindflayer delusion.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not sure to what extent but I think taking too many long rests has story-related consequences. I barely rested at all and I've seen a bunch of stuff that seems to be the result of resting too much when viewing other people's playthroughs.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm not sure to what extent but I think taking too many long rests has story-related consequences. I barely rested at all and I've seen a bunch of stuff that seems to be the result of resting too much when viewing other people's playthroughs.
I tried to rest the minimum possible too, but the encounters really exhausts every spells slots, each time . Oh and by the way charm person doesnt work.

I have played the game for several hours.
- the inventory management is hell (or I still don't know how to use it properly)
- the free 3D camera + pathfinding makes for a poor combat experience (the scenery is so loaded you don't realize where the high ground is or how can you get there)
I never had a hard time finding high ground, but both of these things need improvement.

At the very least, there need to be sort buttons in the inventory and I'm surprised it made it this far into development without them. Those poor Alpha testers...

- I didn't find any delay turn button (or it is not implemented at all)
You can simply click on someone else's portrait to have them attack first, provided that they are active before the enemy is - per your initiative scores.

To skip turns, either hit the hourglass or spacebar.

There is no "delay turn" to move your character back in the initiative sequence without skipping the turn. I'm not sure of many games that have this feature.

- too many empty containers (or with junk items), you need to check them all and you lose a lot of time for nothing
- UI is terrible
I've pretty much learned that all vases are empty and so are all open crates. The only barrels that have loot are ones where other loot is present. This will likely be fixed before release, since they already have a feature for showing empty/full on hover.

The UI could use some work, but it is functional. Frankly, I don't look forward to whatever console-friendly trash they eventually will likely implement, so I don't get why Codexers are complaining about it right now while it's still clearly designed for PC.

robinox

Educated
I really hope there will be lots of companions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom