Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Herumor

Scholar

A politician raised by a devil. What could go wrong?

Please welcome Jason Isaacs to the cast of Baldur's Gate 3 as Lord Enver Gortash.

aPjS9tf.jpg

notpl

Arbiter
Is a 5th level Sorcerer being able to machinegun Fireballs like this an actual thing in 5th Ed D&D, or did Larian take some creative liberties with implementing the rules? :M

Yes, "Quicken Spell" exists in d&d. Has for awhile, actually.

notpl

Arbiter
Yes, "Quicken Spell" exists in d&d. Has for awhile, actually.

Quicken used to increase the Spell's level by 3 (or 4), making it impossible for a 5th Level Sorc to cast a Quickened Fireball.

But I see it works differently in 5th Ed, with Sorcery Points and whatnot.
You used to be able to cast two fireballs per turn by simply casting Haste, another 3rd-level spell. Also, metamagic rods would allow him to cast three per turn. An extravagant item for a 5th-level character to possess, though.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Defend enemies within, and without".

Doesn't' that line sound weird as hell?

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You used to be able to cast two fireballs per turn by simply casting Haste, another 3rd-level spell.

That's why they nerfed that in 3.5 and made it not affect Spellcasting explicitly, because two Spell casts per Round for the duration of Round/Level is just disgusting. :M

I wasn't aware of how the Sorcerer plays in 5th Ed, tho, so I was a bit confused watching that video. I assumed the Class was still mostly just "Wizard without a Spellbook", but it looks like they gave it more of a unique flavor of its own.

Larianshill

Arbiter
You can't machine gun fireballs in 5e, unless you are a fighter multiclass. Quicken spell allows you to cast spells as a bonus action, but in that case your action spell has to be a cantrip. Creative liberies were taken.

notpl

Arbiter
You can't machine gun fireballs in 5e, unless you are a fighter multiclass. Quicken spell allows you to cast spells as a bonus action, but in that case your action spell has to be a cantrip. Creative liberies were taken.
I actually didn't realize that limitation applied to sorcerer quickening. It seems a bit silly, considering sorcerers are the only ones who can do it and it is the defining feature of the class now. Larian appears to have gotten quite a bit of stuff wrong, intentionally or not - I saw something about thief rogues attacking three times with their extra bonus action, for example, which totally breaks the intended action economy. Then again, rogues are a shitty class in 5e and that change maybe does nothing more than bring them up to par with the absolute shitkickers rangers and paladins have become.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We went from choosing alignment, rolling stats and picking a portrait to full body customization and "Non-Binary Other" identity and gender.

Yep. But could be worse. Imagine this + Diablo 3 style stat stickie itemization...

You used to be able to cast two fireballs per turn by simply casting Haste, another 3rd-level spell.

This only in 3.0. Was fixed in 3.5E. Because was ridiculous broken.

Limited Accuracy is the best thing they've ever done to dnd along with the buff cap.

IMO is the worst, it kills the sense of progression. Some retroclones like Lamentations of the flame princess made so only fighters gain + to hit with level. And the "buff cap" kinda removed all nasty ability effects from monsters. In AD&D, investigating the enemy and getting prepared was a huge part of the game. You would't enter a crypt full of undeads without negative plane protection, would't enter a forest famous of deadly poisons without protection from poison and antidotes.

amount of trash mobs.

Not all trash encounters are the same. For eg, a trash encounter which ends in 18 seconds of "autoattack" is not the same of a 36 min trash encounter.

unless you are a fighter multiclass.

Action surge? Could a lv 12 character(10 wlk(fiend)/2 fighter) in 5E cast 2 fireballs, each one as a 5th level spell, dishing a total of 20d6 AoE damage in a single round? And regaining the fireballs and the action surge in a mere short rest?

Now I get why so many 5E DM's ban multiclassing...

Larianshill

Arbiter
Action surge? Could a lv 12 character(10 wlk(fiend)/2 fighter) in 5E cast 2 fireballs, each one as a 5th level spell, dishing a total of 20d6 AoE damage in a single round? And regaining the fireballs and the action surge in a mere short rest?
Yes, but that's a 69 damage average, once per short rest. Which is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but after that it's back to eldritch blast until the next short rest.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Limited Accuracy is the best thing they've ever done to dnd along with the buff cap.

IMO is the worst, it kills the sense of progression. Some retroclones like Lamentations of the flame princess made so only fighters gain + to hit with level. And the "buff cap" kinda removed all nasty ability effects from monsters. In AD&D, investigating the enemy and getting prepared was a huge part of the game. You would't enter a crypt full of undeads without negative plane protection, would't enter a forest famous of deadly poisons without protection from poison and antidotes.
Sounds good on paper, the problem is that when we come to a computer game without dm it turns into a binary choice of either you buff or you don't and you die.
Also assuming you have no knowledge of what's lurking around the corner, that means you're pretty much casting most buffs just in case.
I much prefer what it looks like in 5e than spend 5 minutes after each rest to cast all the necessary buffs.
amount of trash mobs.

Not all trash encounters are the same. For eg, a trash encounter which ends in 18 seconds of "autoattack" is not the same of a 36 min trash encounter.
If a fight lasts "only" 18 seconds then it's pointless and shouldn't be in the game.
This is a typical example of wasting a player's time on something that is neither fun nor difficult.
It's a crappy game design just to make the game longer.
If I wanted to fight hordes of boring and uninteresting mobs, I would go play Diablo or something similar, not crpg.

It's more than a bit jarring how much Larian is focusing on presenting their game in a "cinematic way" through promotional material, given how consistently bad they are at it.
Poor camera work, stiff animations, character models that fall just a bit short in terms of detail if inspected up-close...
At least the voice acting seems to be of good quality, I guess.

The game itself looks good, admittedly at times even top of the line for an isometric CRPG (at least when not too many "cartoony" effects are in place in the scene, otherwise it slips behind something like Pillars of Eternity 2), but holy crap if it doesn't feel like they are leveraging its wrong angles and making almost an active effort in presenting it poorly, at times.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also assuming you have no knowledge of what's lurking around the corner, that means you're pretty much casting most buffs just in case.
I much prefer what it looks like in 5e than spend 5 minutes after each rest to cast all the necessary buffs.

You are looking only into 3.0/3.5E games. The same endless pre buffing problem doesn't exist in for example Ravenloft : Strahd possession. Cuz casters have way more limited spells to cast per rest, much less spells to learn(they can only learn from scrolls) and less buffs to cast. Some of this 90s games even removed the most powerful TT buffs. Eye of The Beholder 2 removed Stoneskin which was incredible powerful in EotB1. In 5E, the same stoneskin is arguably worse than mirror image a 2nd tier spell since it doesn't require concentration and work against magical attacks.

hen it's pointless and shouldn't be in the game.

Disagreed. Can be used to promote a power fantasy or a sense of progression "this enemies where incredible hard, now, we can kill hordes of them so quickly". I don't think that every single fight needs to be a complex "tactical puzzle".

It's more than a bit jarring how much Larian is focusing on presenting their game in a "cinematic way" through promotional material, given how consistently bad they are at it.
Poor camera work, stiff animations, character models that fall just a bit short in terms of detail if inspected up-close.

Disagreed. Larian has very high production values.

Mainly if compared to other AAA devs. Compare this :

gyfQWvS.png

With this :

jkriwe5.png

Despite any critique towards Larian that someone can make, they are masters at production values and reactivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom