Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Disagreed. Larian has very high production values.
You are not disagreeing with anything I actually said, so there's that.

I said they have poor mastery of cinematography, not that their game lacks in production value.
In fact, I even stressed that BG3 is in many ways the best looking CPRG out there (well, almost out).

And since we are talking disagreements, incidentally, I'll take the chance to say that speaking as someone who approached multiple editions from a neutral stance (I was never a big fan of D&D as a tabletop system to begin with) most of you people's complaints about the 5th edition are trash.

It's not a system without issues, to be clear (like barely differentiating between types of weapons, for a start), but still, features like "bounded accuracy" limiting the potential gap between characters, "attunement" putting a cap to how many powerful artifacts can be equipped at the same time and "Concentration" actively discouraging the stockpiling of multiple pre-buffs before fights have all have been solid design principles.

Harthwain

Magister
And since we are talking disagreements, incidentally, I'll take the chance to say that speaking as someone who approached multiple editions from a neutral stance (I was never a big fan of D&D as a tabletop system to begin with) most of you people's complaints about the 5th edition are trash.

It's not a system without issues, to be clear (like barely differentiating between types of weapons, for a start), but still, features like "bounded accuracy" limiting the potential gap between characters, "attunement" putting a cap to how many powerful artifacts can be equipped at the same time and "Concentration" actively discouraging the stockpiling of multiple pre-buffs before fights have all have been solid design principles.
In a sentence: It's min-maxers' hell?

Wouldn't that be Pathfinder?
As someone with some vague tendencies toward min-maxing myself, "Min-maxer's hell" would be precisely being given the rope to hang yourself, with a system that doesn't put any restriction in how much you can keep stockpiling shit on top of each other.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"bounded accuracy" limiting the potential gap between characters

A lv 20 ranger should be extremely more powerful than a lv 1 ranger. Enemies which a lv 1 ranger has no chance to scratch, a lv 20 ranger should deal with no problem. Same with monsters, a 1 day old dragon and the most ancient dragon must be vastly different. As for item attunement , the problem is that the cap is the same for everything. Having a single magical item in a low level Dark Sun game is ok. Having lots of magical items in a high level Netherese game makes sense. 3 for every game is bad. About Concentration, it is is better implemented in GURPS. But again, enemies no longer have nasty abilities thanks to the way that 5E handles concentration.

IMO how common magical items and spells are should be something for the DM to determine in his campaign, not to be hard codded into rules.

And for people who enjoy immersion. TBH each edition has its pros and cons :
  • Original & 2E = Immersion and RP
  • 3.XE = Variety and options
  • 4E = Balance
  • 5E = Accessibility
Discussions about "what is the best edition" will be worthless cuz depends mostly on personal preferences.

with a system that doesn't put any restriction in how much you can keep stockpiling shit on top of each other.

The problem is not "stockpiling shit", If I'm a DM and the party is casting 645651165615 buffs, I will just cast dispel or maybe disjunction and remove its buffs. Most enemies in CRPG's are too dumb to do it.

A lv 20 ranger should be extremely more powerful than a lv 1 ranger.
And he is.
In fact, D&D characters past level 14 STILL snowball into almost comedic levels of power. I'm not sure why you people keep deluding yourselves in that sense.

What he isn't, it's someone that could even be surrounded by an entire legion of level 5 characters and be confident he would come out of it unarmed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://www.cbr.com/baldurs-gate-3-dnd-updates-impact/

Baldur's Gate 3 might see some changes down the line after recent updates to Dungeons & Dragons.

Larian creative director and founder Sven Vincke spoke with GamesRadar+ about the upcoming full release of Baldur's Gate 3. They discussed how updates to the famous TTRPG, such as Dungeons & Dragons' removal of the term "race," might impact the game moving forward. "We're keeping up with the changes being made to D&D. Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't necessarily adhere to all of the current rules – we make changes along the way as it makes sense for a video game, or based on feedback from our players," he explained. "Since we're still in production, we're likely to pick up some of the recent changes to D&D rules, too."

Larianshill

Arbiter
Yes, that's why weapon skills are in the game, and why paladin and barbarian have some additional abilities.

notpl

Arbiter

It's three steps forward, two steps back in my opinion. Those ideas you're praising are all good in a vacuum, but they're implemented a bit thoughtlessly. Too many spells are tagged with concentration and in practice it makes being a spellcaster annoying - playing Solasta basically the only debuff spell I used in 90% of encounters was Blind, because it's the only one that has a flat duration and doesn't break concentration on the previous thing you cast. It would also be great for spellcasters to get 2nd and 3rd concentration slots as they reach higher levels, or maybe derive it from a secondary stat. The advantage/disadvantage system is also clever and fun, but hideously overused to the point where deep into a combat encounter you might have no fucking clue how many stacks of each one has, and since they all just cancel each other out it stops mattering.

MerchantKing

Learned
Yes, that's why weapon skills are in the game, and why paladin and barbarian have some additional abilities.
I remember when there were just fighters. They just had armor and a weapon and ran around hitting things. It was better that way. Besides, they don't need abilities when they only exist to be mind controlled by a superior Gnome wizard.

Skorpion

Educated
I remember when there were just fighters. They just had armor and a weapon and ran around hitting things. It was better that way. Besides, they don't need abilities when they only exist to be mind controlled by a superior Gnome wizard.
welcome back, hows the wizarding world going smol-harry?

MerchantKing

Learned
welcome back, hows the wizarding world going smol-harry?
All is fine and good goy. Inflationary economies are actually great for profiteering.

Delterius

Arcane
its scary to think that bethesda could only afford patrick stewart for two and a half lines but larian got invincible's dad and marshal zhukov for full roles. the power of the dutchelgians knows no bounds.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Heh. I spent nearly 200 hours in beta and with each patch, witch each note from Larian I have less and less faith in this project. I sense in my bones that be a great disappointed. By all this years Wizards became even more dumb, blue-haired corpo abomination than ten years ago. If Sveneven has any interesting vision, it disappeared under marketing, current climate and corporate greed. For me, first red flag was Patch 1, when then removed half of Shadowheart passive-aggressiveness (to make snowflakes happy, I suppose...).
Oh well, at last Mithara remain crazy as she should be.

And she has nice titties
And Shadowheart
And Frog
Because they share same model.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Heh. I spent nearly 200 hours in beta and with each patch, witch each note from Larian I have less and less faith in this project. I sense in my bones that be a great disappointed. By all this years Wizards became even more dumb, blue-haired corpo abomination than ten years ago. If Sveneven has any interesting vision, it disappeared under marketing, current climate and corporate greed. For me, first red flag was Patch 1, when then removed half of Shadowheart passive-aggressiveness (to make snowflakes happy, I suppose...).

And she has nice titties
And Shadowheart
And Frog
On the other hand, what were they supposed to do when people cried on the forums that companions were mean to them (not even kidding at this point).

La vie sexuelle

Learned

And she has nice titties
And Shadowheart
And Frog
On the other hand, what were they supposed to do when people cried on the forums that companions were mean to them (not even kidding at this point).

Put even more of that! Let them learn how to live a live!

its scary to think that bethesda could only afford patrick stewart for two and a half lines but larian got invincible's dad and marshal zhukov for full roles. the power of the dutchelgians knows no bounds.
Larian has Hasbro money backing this up.

And she has nice titties
And Shadowheart
And Frog
I do think they made your companions less conflictive towards you wasting time, but at the same time there was this bit where they wanted to make you act as quick as possible but every 10 meters you had yet another side quest and distraction. So it was a bit dissonant. The game's general tone is much more lenient now than what it used to be. It's been made easier and more "biowarian", the recent change in tone where everything is a joke is not entirely to blame on Larian, as I said before, the initial pitch and state of the game had it being much darker than what it is now, and people complained because it was not "Baldur's Gate" for them. When Minsc was announced to have a part in this game and the tone was shifted to a more jolly one people felt BG was "back".

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Larian has Hasbro money backing this up.

And she has nice titties
And Shadowheart
And Frog
I do think they made your companions less conflictive towards you wasting time, but at the same time there was this bit where they wanted to make you act as quick as possible but every 10 meters you had yet another side quest and distraction. So it was a bit dissonant. The game's general tone is much more lenient now than what it used to be. It's been made easier and more "biowarian", the recent change in tone where everything is a joke is not entirely to blame on Larian, as I said before, the initial pitch and state of the game had it being much darker than what it is now, and people complained because it was not "Baldur's Gate" for them. When Minsc was announced to have a part in this game and the tone was shifted to a more jolly one people felt BG was "back".
Yes, slipping into Bioware area is a fact. And with every step Larian losing part of their identity. I know, for Codexers that Belgian company always was something odd, and not only because of the humour, but they had a spark of uniqueness making them different than others cRPG wannabe. Now...almost nothing left.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Put even more of that! Let them learn how to live a live!

take your fantasies of getting femdommed someplace else, degenerate

Tell me - do you bridled once malicious, kicking woman? Do you know enjoyment of dialectic conflict, and slow march to success? Do you know that satisfaction?

I know.

You were once a cantankerous woman before you transitioned?
I'm talking about reaching out in relationship. You know, men and woman...oh, now I get it. You don't know.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
then removed half of Shadowheart passive-aggressiveness (to make snowflakes happy, I suppose...).
I'm not familiar with the situation, but personally I'm quite fed up with ~narrative designers~, aka uncultured hacks, who feel obliged to write NPC dialogue in such a way that the NPC must always one-up the player in every conversation. This is a game the player is playing, if one side should one-up the other in conversations, it's the PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom