Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BruceVC

Magister

Here is a positive video about BG3 and its features , its a little cringe at times but overall it should provide some reasons why BG3 is going to be epic

I encourage everyone to watch it, its only 29 minutes :cool:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
fuck day/night cycle if it's not some proper horror thingy where real scary things stalk the night and you have to stay indoors anyway.
otherwise it's just some arbitrary dark shit to make it harder to notice loot containers.
and there is zero horror rpgs.
In most games with day/night cycles I've played, the real scary thing that stalks the night is the player character.

ropetight

Savant

Here is a positive video about BG3 and its features , its a little cringe at times but overall it should provide some reasons why BG3 is going to be epic

In my gross uneducatedness I didn't know that Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the best RPG ever made.
I'll praise Larian from now on as our Lords and Saviors!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I enjoyed D:OS, flawed as it was

I hated D:OS2

My controversial and highly polarizing expectation is to enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 more than either of them, but I would be surprised if it made it into my Top10. I expect to enjoy the gameplay and kitsch mind flayer D&D planar aberration stuff, hate the companions and be 'meh' on the story

As not being in the "it's completely unplayable shit" or "it's the saviour of RPGs"-camps is in clear violation of the BG3 Thread protocols, I will now erase myself from the Codex forever

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

The attempt to balance burst damage via armor was unsuccessful.
The nerf to crafting was uncalled for.
The power gap between levels made gear temporary, unless you keep it for a skill.

These are the flaws I can think of, in all other ways D:OS2 improved. Granted, the armor thing is a major game mechanic that continues to annoy throughout the game.

BruceVC

Magister

In my gross uneducatedness I didn't know that Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the best RPG ever made.
I'll praise Larian from now on as our Lords and Saviors!

Thats a serious endorsement of Larian but I generally never question peoples personal opinions on what they like, so I support your sentiment :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The attempt to balance burst damage via armor was unsuccessful.
The nerf to crafting was uncalled for.
The power gap between levels made gear temporary, unless you keep it for a skill.

These are the flaws I can think of, in all other ways D:OS2 improved. Granted, the armor thing is a major game mechanic that continues to annoy throughout the game.

The item system competes as "Most Ass Itemization of Any RPG ever", but mainly, my problem is this:

D:OS is fundamentally a pretty shit game that has two major things going for it, namely the environmental mechanics and the encounter design of Act 1.

D:OS 2 fucks the first with a rusty shovel in an attempt to balance the game, which makes sense since combat in the first game was essentially reduced to environmental interactions at certain points. Unfortunately for D:OS2, the environmental effects basically constituted the sole, redeemable quality of the game's combat. Unsurprisingly, when you kill your one hit single, the rest of the album will never leave the shelf. When you then also fail to perform on the encounter design of your first game's first act, which all but saved it from complete uselessness, you're left with a dud.

Stories and characters in both games are useless to the point of not existing. Core gameplay and systems suck utter donkey-cock in both - my God, the character system. So when you say "in all other ways D:OS2 improved", I'm not sure what you're referring to. It's essentially the same shit game just with worse combat, less interesting encounter design and (somehow, impossibly) even worse itemization. I think I literally quit after replacing some epic purple omegadrop like 15 seconds and a level-up later with some random item.

Turns out the chaotic combat and varied encounters of the first act of D:OS did a lot of the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
They should either delay the game or launch a few weeks early.

No point going toe to toe with Starfield, arguably the most hyped game this year, if not the decade.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
They should either delay the game or launch a few weeks early.

No point going toe to toe with Starfield, arguably the most hyped game this year, if not the decade.
Lol, amerijank like bethesda crap has zero chance against my game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom