Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

21Baron

Literate
I'm still considering buying or not in early access.

What's the verdict on the matter?
Don't support the Belgian Homosexual Agenda
Don't go threatening me with a good time.

Buying a month before release, completing the available content in 2-3 days, and then having to wait another month to continue the inaugural playthrough sounds like the least satisfying possible way to play a video game. Go for it!
"Least satisfying possible way to play a video game" sounds just like our jam.

If you're going to buy the game anyway it makes no difference.
If you would have liked to give feedback, the ship has sailed.
At this point you're just paying for early access to the first act.
Was any feedback given by anyone on Codex taken into consideration by Larian in the past couple years?

Buy it asap, it's summer and need to buy my new yacht.
Only if your shekel-collecting ass give a discount on Early Access to prove your undying hate for Turks.

Varnaan

Augur
Was any feedback given by anyone on Codex taken into consideration by Larian in the past couple years?
On my end they literally made all the things I gave feedback on worse, except party movement.
As I mentioned whenever the EA came out, I have a crowbar and a credit card so Sven might have to say goodbye to his/her/theym's knees.

21Baron

Literate
On my end they literally made all the things I gave feedback on worse, except party movement.
As I mentioned whenever the EA came out, I have a crowbar and a credit card so Sven might have to say goodbye to his/her/theym's knees.
"I got a shank and a credit card - but only one of those's going into Sven!"

Varnaan

Augur
"I got a shank and a credit card - but only one of those's going into Sven!"
If Sven were Todd he might have experienced my credit card inside of xhm

Pizzashoes

Scholar
How was it actually explained in 2e that only humans could be paladins?
I found no explanation in AD&D 2ed PHB I have, but it's like asking why only dwarf could be a dwarf.
even better, why can a half elf be a fighter/druid but an elf can't?

race uniqueness was somewhat arbitrary, at least going by how bg dealt with things
Games are arbitrary by their nature. Different buffs, debuffs and limitations are reasons for experimentation. Without that you get something bland like Pathfinder. "Oh golly! Now I can make druid-mage dwarf!" quickly lost its charm.
I don't totally agree. Games are reasoned by nature. Designers decide the strengths and limitations of every aspect of their worlds, as to create an experience that rises above sandboxy make believe. Wether the game feels arbitrary or not is a factor of novelty multiplied by the quality of that reasoning.

To someone who's only known a given version of D&D then humans being the only paladins comes across as natural as a matter of fact, in the archetypical 'humans can be anything' sense or in the 'well, thats what paladins are, holy human knights'. To someone else who's familiar with a given version of a D&D setting, then there could be an in-universe reasoning for why only humans can be paladins. There's also a third reasoning that arises purely from rules design, similar to how meta-humans can multi-class while humans can dual-class. But none of these instances are actually arbitrary.

Even when decisions start on a whim in a campaign run in Lake Geneva, then the guy in charge will ground that decision with some reasoning. 'Why clerics can't use bladed weapons? I dunno man I just went to the public library and got myself a crusades comic to read so uh it's because they are holy and generally refuse to draw blood ok'.

I say this because there's a horde of dumbasses online who will demand rules changes on account of 'player agency'. So drawing a line between arbitrary, poorly formulated choices and well reasoned ones is important.
Delterius,
Rules are rules of course. The ideas don't matter, and I only want the blades of the lads.

The rules don't matter. But, one must wonder what do you think and what have I tried to make? Was it all nonsense? Should we have a session with the lads? What does anything matter?

Pizzashoes

Scholar

What the fuck does this even mean? "Tavs" You, personally, never expected the lads to be a bunch of Tavs. The alternative is a cute graphic. I don't get it, and I don't care. I don't claim to be an important figure, but these figures are silly. People need these figures to support the world.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

What the fuck does this even mean? "Tavs" You, personally, never expected the lads to be a bunch of Tavs. The alternative is a cute graphic. I don't get it, and I don't care. I don't claim to be an important figure, but these figures are silly. People need these figures to support the world.

All characters in creator starts with "Tav" name.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I hope it's easy to enough to mod that a retard like myself can figure it out. All of the classes are boring as fuck, so I'll probably have to make my own to get any fun out of the game.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I hope it's easy to enough to mod that a retard like myself can figure it out. All of the classes are boring as fuck, so I'll probably have to make my own to get any fun out of the game.
It's pretty easy, at last for clothing and characters editing. I'm not sure about new characters and quests.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Anyone who's played the EA, do you create your own PC for this, or is it like Original Sin 2 where you can pick one of the premades and then they sort of have their own "main" quest parallel to the game's plot?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Anyone who's played the EA, do you create your own PC for this, or is it like Original Sin 2 where you can pick one of the premades and then they sort of have their own "main" quest parallel to the game's plot?

In EA you can only made own character and possibilities are limited, but there is blocked option to choose Origin Character (premades). More content on premiere.

Larianshill

Arbiter
They promised the custom character will be as interesting as the origin characters and have as much content, and I'm still very much not sure I believe them. There is only one conceivable way a custom cleric of Shar will have as much content as Shadowheart, and I'm not sure they're going that route.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
They promised the custom character will be as interesting as the origin characters and have as much content, and I'm still very much not sure I believe them. There is only one conceivable way a custom cleric of Shar will have as much content as Shadowheart, and I'm not sure they're going that route.

Astarion got something in Baldurs Gate. Same Gale. Frog in in unavailable Githinki route. Wyll has cambion and I believe this girl can even replace him. Karlach will be connected with all this Avernus things.

Rhobar121

Scholar
A custom character will always be less developed than a character created by developers (at least until AI starts to be used on a large scale).
The maximum we can count on is some general history available only for custom char.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I never pay for early access of any game because I want the final release to be exciting but I am buying the CE for BG3, its going to be an excellent game and a worthy successor of the iconic BG series, Larian wont let us down :cool:
When have they ever?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I never pay for early access of any game because I want the final release to be exciting but I am buying the CE for BG3, its going to be an excellent game and a worthy successor of the iconic BG series, Larian wont let us down :cool:
Bruce, you are desperate to play RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom