Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
what gnome?

Herumor

Scholar
Has more of the game's plot been datamined from the early access files? I haven't been keeping up with it.

Has more of the game's plot been datamined from the early access files? I haven't been keeping up with it.
As far as I'm aware of, even going by datamined content we know literally nothing of where the plot is going past Act 1.
Even most of the "spoiler" stuff datamined so far seems to relate to the currently-missing parts of the same Act 1.

Last edited:

Cnaiur

Augur
I just noticed I've already got 105 hours on this game. Most of it is from character creation and even in Act I I've only seen the content that was available at EA release...Looking forward to what has changed/added in Act I.

Think I'm going evil party first, Larian games typically offer plenty of fun playing this way.

I just noticed I've already got 105 hours on this game. Most of it is from character creation and even in Act I I've only seen the content that was available at EA release...Looking forward to what has changed/added in Act I.

Think I'm going evil party first, Larian games typically offer plenty of fun playing this way.
Steam marks me at 500, but realistically speaking at least half of it is idle time sitting on the main menu or with the launcher opened in background (yes, it's counted as playtime as well) and so on.
Still, I'd say that I probably spent more or less 200 hours between a bunch of playthroughs trying different classes (the first one was around 40-50 hours, the subsequent ones get progressively shorter as you become familiar with what to do and in what order).

I never made a secret of having a whole freaking list of complaints about some questionable (when not downright bad) decisions Larian made, but overall I'm confident the end result will be at very least a solid entry in the genre and worth spending time on.
Not sure if it will ever been considered an instant classic and one of the all-timers on the other hand. Time will tell.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I'm not particularly invested with the current companions to begin with, but I have no idea who the hell at Larian thought that swapping from this character model

304-1647203821-1260014624.png

...to this one...

53004412459_a00ad54bec_h.jpg

...was anywhere close to an improvement.

It goes to confirm that someone in that studio has bad taste pretty much across the board.

This change means that Larian better understand customers and generalny reality than WotWC. Wizards could get themselves from shit only by changing their bookart for more appealing for core audience.

Mortmal

Arcane
is 5e as shit as 3e number bloat ?
While not ideal, I prefer it over the lunacy 3E/PF1 buff stacking sometimes becomes (see Wrath of the Righteous as an example op this).
It's worse in pf games. There is a large number of things they let you do that you wouldn't be able to do in tabletop.
100x worse in pf games indeed , its barely following the ruleset. But owlcat gets a free pass here.

100x worse in pf games indeed , its barely following the ruleset. But owlcat gets a free pass here.
The stupidest thing about how Owlcat designs this stuff is that they create the problem (leaving an inane amount of buffs stack on top of each other) and then in the attempt to "solve" it they go and create another one (over-tuning pretty much every fucking encounter in the game, with random fucking mobs sporting "+77 to hit" and similar shit.

Mortmal

Arcane
The stupidest thing about how Owlcat designs this stuff is that they create the problem (leaving an inane amount of buffs stack on top of each other) and then in the attempt to "solve" it they go and create another one (over-tuning pretty much every fucking encounter in the game, with random fucking mobs sporting "+77 to hit" and similar shit.
The saddest thing is most people consider it great design and voted it game of the year twice. BG3 is already a far superior rpg in every aspects.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Somebody call up the Paladins, there's some fiendish ass to smite.

...if you know what I mean :smug:

But seriously, they managed to both ruin the initial design AND produce something that's somehow less attractive. Impressive, considering a minor nose job and a chin clip would have likely been enough.

scytheavatar

Scholar
It's also possible that Larian may break their long tradition of never releasing big DLC/expansions and decide to release additional content for this game. Especially if it turns out to be a big seller.
BG3 is a licensed product and I can't imagine WotC would let Swen bail on DLC revenues regardless of his rationales if the game sells even moderately well. The plans and contracts have probably been signed off on a long time ago.

Time and effort spent on making BG3 DLC could be spent instead by Larian to make a new 5.5 ed D&D game................ WotC probably prefers the latter rather than the former. And yes you can bet that the latter is coming eventually.

Shrimp

Liturgist

Steam marks me at 500, but realistically speaking at least half of it is idle time sitting on the main menu or with the launcher opened in background (yes, it's counted as playtime as well) and so on.
Still, I'd say that I probably spent more or less 200 hours between a bunch of playthroughs trying different classes (the first one was around 40-50 hours, the subsequent ones get progressively shorter as you become familiar with what to do and in what order).

I never made a secret of having a whole freaking list of complaints about some questionable (when not downright bad) decisions Larian made, but overall I'm confident the end result will be at very least a solid entry in the genre and worth spending time on.
Not sure if it will ever been considered an instant classic and one of the all-timers on the other hand. Time will tell.
That's more or less where I'm at as well. I never really had any doubts that the finalised game would be good, but at the same time I fully expect my playthrough to be full of game mechanic induced headaches and various events that leave me thinking 'this could have been so much better if they had done X instead'

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The saddest thing is most people consider it great design and voted it game of the year twice. BG3 is already a far superior rpg in every aspects.
Pathfinder and DND 5 are both garbage systems.

Owlcat at least understand the ruleset enough to make overturned encounters, Larian are still confused there's no stats for barrels.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Owlcat at least understand the ruleset enough to make overturned encounters, Larian are still confused there's no stats for barrels.
Larian should have stayed with 2e for BG3. It may be a long abandoned system, but at least The Complete Barrelmancer's Handbook was published for it.

Larian should have stayed with 2e for BG3. It may be a long abandoned system, but at least The Complete Barrelmancer's Handbook was published for it.
Again, as per business rules coming from Wizards, any D&D adaptation has to make use of the current D&D system.

Reinhardt

Arcane
what gnome?
The one who died of too many turnips shoved up his vault.
You wouldn't hurt a gnome would you?
you already asked on previous account. answer remains same - why not? it's easy and profitable.
Cool it with the antisemitic remarks.
pity you can't sell his equip because it's some useless shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom