Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
What old lady? You mean, auntie Ethel?

Yup. But they've been pretty clear when announcing every returning character from the original games. I'm expecting everyone from the canonical party being present either physically and/or via references, sidequests, items, etc. The issue here is that if they include Jaheira they might reference her romance as the canonical one. What if they include Aerie? Viconia died on her romance ending.

Varnaan

Augur
we better meet Imoen in the endgame...
Makes no sense, only two Bhaalspawns remained and they fought, one died leading to Bhaal coming back

In the end they both died anyway.
No more bhaalspawns.

Last edited:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yup. But they've been pretty clear when announcing every returning character from the original games. I'm expecting everyone from the canonical party being present either physically and/or via references, sidequests, items, etc. The issue here is that if they include Jaheira they might reference her romance as the canonical one. What if they include Aerie? Viconia died on her romance ending.
Frankly, I hate how WoTC has canonized details pertaining to the Baldur's Gate video games. I'd prefer if they'd be less specific about things, leave vague outlines of anything not set in stone that can be filled in with how our playthrough played out.

Last edited:
Frankly, I hate how WoTC has canonized details pertaining to the Baldur's Gate video games. I'd prefer if they'd be less specific about things, leave vague outlines of anything not set in stone that can be filled in with how our playthrough played out.
Better to have the games than the novels as canon tbh

Orud

Scholar
Patron
is 5e as shit as 3e number bloat ?
No, it is far more 'mundane' with its numbers compared to all the shit you need to stack in 3e/PF1. That's why it simply uses advantage/disadvantage for most things.

The downside of 5E keeping its modifiers (and the amount of modifiers) quite low is that it often uses HP bloat to make certain threats more dangerous. While not ideal, I prefer it over the lunacy 3E/PF1 buff stacking sometimes becomes (see Wrath of the Righteous as an example op this).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
12 is a good level cap. TBH I din't liked much the encounters past it in the new Solasta. Fighters can get 3 attacks per round, casters can get all of the most iconic spells and so on.

On that topic, I was kinda hoping for level 14, but hey.

It's also possible that Larian may break their long tradition of never releasing big DLC/expansions and decide to release additional content for this game. Especially if it turns out to be a big seller.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
B-but baldur's gate 2

Baldur's Gate 2 depends on the class as in AD&D, leveling takes different xp per class. Druids could get into lv 14 in BG2(not EE, no ToB installed). But in Original Baldur's Gate 1, Mages could only get to lv 7.

I used to believe that a D&D CRPG adaptation needs to allow lv 20 cuz I was too spoiled by 3.0/3.5E video game adaptations. But after playing more games, changed my mind. Most of the 90s CRPG's din't allowed high and epic level gameplay. Eye of The Beholder, only the last game allow you to reach lv 20. The 3 first person games from Dreamforge also ends around lv 12. I only got lv 13 in Ravenloft : Stone prophet by importing my save and doing everything. Dark Sun : Wake of hte Ravager has lv cap = 15 and takes a eternity to reach it. Spelljammer : Pirates of the realmspace has lv cap = 11.

That said, 5E is vastly different than previous editions. Enemies lacks extremely nasty abilities and hence, high level play just doesn't work.

It's also possible that Larian may break their long tradition of never releasing big DLC/expansions and decide to release additional content for this game. Especially if it turns out to be a big seller.

Or modders. People will gonna mod higher level stuff in BG3.

Just like they did for ToEE.

Last edited:
IIRC in bg2 druids get more or less level capped at 14 because, according to the designers, getting them to level 15 would mean granting them world-altering abilities or something like that

Orud

Scholar
Patron
IIRC in bg2 druids get more or less level capped at 14 because, according to the designers, getting them to level 15 would mean granting them world-altering abilities or something like that
No, that's just 2nd edition AD&D for you. Flavor was baked into class balance back then. 15th level meant that you became that worlds grand Druid. I've copied the relevant section of the 2nd edition AD&D player-handbook below.

adnd-druid-highlvl.jpg

Other examples;
  • You might scoff at what a Paladin gained compared to what he lost (weapon-masteries) in AD&D, but that changed once you read the section of the holy sword/avenger. This section wasn't placed underneath item descriptions, but rather the Paladin's class abilities. A Paladin was expected to start a quest for his holy sword (like Arthur and Excalibur).
  • Monks couldn't advance past a certain point either until they became a master of a certain wind direction or something similar.
I'm personally mixed on baking flavor directly into the classes themselves, it certainly has its downsides, but I do love the way it shaped classes and forced AD&D's designers to really consider what a class's identity was.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Arcane
BG3 is a licensed product and I can't imagine WotC would let Swen bail on DLC revenues regardless of his rationales if the game sells even moderately well. The plans and contracts have probably been signed off on a long time ago.

MerchantKing

Learned
baldur's gate 2
An overrated game. But it has its moments like when you get to help a fellow gnome avoid persecution from the local tax officials right before he joins you and uses his brilliant inventions to help you get more profits and shares some memorable stories with you along the way while being the life of the party. The other good moments are when your fellow gnome tells his stories to other companions, especially to the grumpy dwarf and Binky!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom