Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Reinhardt

Arcane
we need hp bloat goblins back!

Gargaune

Arcane
You're comparing apples to oranges. These games were all essentially designed like 2d games, even the ones that are 3d. NWN2 was barely cinematic, and only some of the time.
Which has nothing to do with timed progression. Story pacing and development works in books too, and they're even less cinematic than NWN2. The day/night cycle and the abstract camp aren't a package deal, for fuck's sake, just see Throne of Bhaal for an example.

Moving on, I say:
the plot makes it clear that you and your companions are "special" and that it's not progressing as usual
You say:
Fake news.
And then you say:
The plot eventually makes it clear that you ARE progressing. Just not at the speed you thought you were
:nocountryforshitposters:

The point is, it's time-based progression.
The point there is that they already fucked with the timeframe, so they could fuck with it some more! Larian could write their way around a dynamic timeframe however they wanted, regardless of the source 72 hours or whatever it was, the same way they did around their static timeframe. You adjust the dynamic clock or space out the tadpole increments to where it's comfortable for play.

Again, you build your gameplay, then you write your story around it. Otherwise, if you put the cart before the horse, you don't get anywhere. And don't worry, that's not what Larian did, I already told you why they skipped dynamic day/night, because they didn't want to iterate on their dev processes.

You and the Taco guy keep doing this. You have some vision other than BG 1 & 2, but your initial premise was basically 'this is different from BG 1 & 2, that's bad and here's why'.
My premise is that day/night cycles are beneficial in open-world cRPGs. I'd settle for a mostly cosmetic one, but I'd also welcome a more mechanically meaningful one. Which I told you on the next fucking line after the one you quoted. As for BG1 and 2, the point is that even they had some of that, the cosmetic bit, whereas BG3 has none, despite having built-in potential for more. Nevermind the ruleset translation.

Good for you. Make a game like that then. Because this game is meant to be cinematic.
"Don't criticise this shit design because it's meant to be shit."

I haven't played DA:O in years, but I thought you could talk to them outside of camp.

Anyway, you can clearly interact with BG3 companions outside of camp.
Great, then you can tell your story outside of camp too. :smug:

I agree, but as you say, these are cosmetic changes.
You need to take a break from the thread, you're having trouble reading. The "illusion of the open world" is cosmetic, there's nothing cosmetic about "mechanical interplay with [...] the stealth system" or the "ruleset adaptation."

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have no idea what you guys just said for the last couple of pages, but behead anyone that lowers the standards on C&C.

And to make a shitty rhyme: je suis Rusty.

Perkel

Arcane
1688568622775211.png

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Why having night/day cycles? Why having the possibility to create camp spots on the same map?

Then, why having visible enemies too?
Let's abstract everything, let's just have sudden random encounters and let's locate every combat in a magic pocket dimension where you are magically teleported when the plot needs it.

Why having night/day cycles? Why having the possibility to create camp spots on the same map?

Let's abstract everything, let's just have sudden random encounters and let's locate every combat in a magic pocket dimension where you are magically teleported when the plot needs it.
I agree: every rpg should be a jrpg and the genre would be improved by it

Delterius

Arcane

I agree: every rpg should be a jrpg and the genre would be improved by it
Case in point: planetescape tournament.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's the woke strategy: Take a massive shit over an established franchise with a strong fanbase, then corrupt it so that it resembles something else entirely, honk honk!
And insert subtle or overly intrusive current thing political messages!
Woke must be eradicated.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
After spending couple days checking out classes I moved to feats and there seems to be some nice combos you could make

hxVkueN.png

sadly tunnel fighter is not available so can only do it once unless there is a way to gain multiple reactions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom