Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

La vie sexuelle

Learned
image.png

Think about that - somebody put effort in adding this no-information to game handbook, another person approved that and another paid all bills. It's even more than ideology, this people are possessed by their obsessions.

From Pazio blog (different company, same mentality): "When encountering a Starfinder NPC (nonplayer character), you can assume that character is queer unless explicitly stated otherwise. This is only partly a joke considering the myriad weird and wonderful celebrations of queer identities in the setting.Examining society’s gender constructs and ultimately turning them upside down is a long and proud tradition for sci-fi creators. As we create infinite fictional worlds, we imagine humanity’s own infinite possibilities. Here on Earth many people recognize multiple genders in humans, though the truth is more complex and subtle even than “male,” “female,” and “nonbinary.” In the fictional worlds of Starfinder, understanding has progressed even further. Add aliens to the mix and it gets super interesting!"

BTW

MerchantKing

Learned

Perkel

Arcane
Why do I think that modders for BG2 became official writers for WoTC and Paizo ?

Xan was not in Baldur's Gape. The only one who troons out there was Edwina.

? Xan was in Nashkel mines in BG1. He wasn't present in BG2.

jungl

Augur
weak decade+ in waiting sequels use presumably dead villains and characters as a crutch cash grab. Lets hope larian is not creatively bankrupt as the 4channer fan fiction larp and has good writers.

MerchantKing

Learned
Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3 have reignited the 'quantity vs quality' debate around RPGs that promise a billion hours of gameplay, but I think they can actually deliver:

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-a...meplay-but-i-think-they-can-actually-deliver/
Here's the cringe compilation

"BioWare writer David Gaider"
"meaningful content"

"But I love New Vegas!"

"Baldur's Gate 2 set the standard for adapting high-level D&D"
"feeling like a tabletop campaign"

"games that earn their long runtimes like Elden Ring, Red Dead Redemption 2, Skyrim, or The Witcher 3"

"substantial RPGs"
"Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3"

"I've been heartened by Bethesda's repeated insistence that the game will have more bespoke, handcrafted content than any of its previous games"

"Bethesda games like Oblivion and Skyrim nail this combination of an immersive, other life simulation with meaningful storytelling underpinning it⁠"

"I've always had trouble getting into stuff like Mount & Blade"

"long games are bad, except when they're not"

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
"Bethesda games like Oblivion and Skyrim nail this combination of an immersive, other life simulation with meaningful storytelling underpinning it⁠"

1688587194918.png

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, so let's *finally* address the elephant in the room, or should I say... hamster:

What do you think they'll do to Boo? Will they double down on the jokes? Will they triple down and create an epic meme? Will they create a whole adventure where you can actually become tiny and meet them giant miniature space hamsters?

Or... even bolder: will they kill Boo?

MerchantKing

Learned
Alright, so let's *finally* address the elephant in the room, or should I say... hamster:

What do you think they'll do to Boo? Will they double down on the jokes? Will they triple down and create an epic meme? Will they create a whole adventure where you can actually become tiny and meet them giant miniature space hamsters?

Book was always a shit joke.

Perkel

Arcane

Knowing nu writters it turns out that Minsc relationship with Boo was something else that we all assumed playing BG1/2 decades ago...

Herumor

Scholar
How does having a veteran of the Blood War as a level 1 companion / origin story make any sense?

I feel like a lot of the stuff about the beginning / Act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3 really falls apart easily if you just look at the levels they're presented as, i.e. they should be way more powerful.

How does having a veteran of the Blood War as a level 1 companion / origin story make any sense?

I feel like a lot of the stuff about the beginning / Act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3 really falls apart easily if you just look at the levels they're presented as, i.e. they should be way more powerful.
Remnants of "I should be able to take on a beholder at level 1" from 4th ed and its game adaptation.
The entire trailer felt more epic than it should, that much is true. In my opinion the game should start at level 4 more or less. But then you run into the problem that this is going to be the first big D&D game for this generation, so they have to make some adjustments. A lot of this might be a shared responsability thing between Wizards and Larian. It's a licensed property after all.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Well, the campaign was clearly designed to be much more epic. They just scaled the lvl down which makes sense.
We definitely shouldn't start at level 5 because that would do more harm than good.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Which has nothing to do with timed progression.
It has to do with the overall concept. I don't really care if Zelda had time progression. It's a different game with a different design.

BG2's use of time tracking was very occasional and, as I said, when they had events happen as a result of that, they could simply have an NPC walk in from the edge of screen. The same with NWN.

BG3's design is more cinematic. Just triggering a dialog or a dream or whatever in the middle of nowhere can result in clipping and other issues.
Story pacing and development works in books too, and they're even less cinematic than NWN2.
Books aren't even games. Why are you taking your comparisons further away from what BG3 is?
The day/night cycle and the abstract camp aren't a package deal, for fuck's sake, just see Throne of Bhaal for an example.
Ok, then drop the abstract camp argument. I didn't bring it up.

My original was point about the cinematic nature of the game, as well as the plot being centered around time progression, meaning that day/night cycles will be a difficult to track and manage element. And one that's unneeded.

Cope. Again:

At first, you think it's going to be around a week (meta: obviously not). Then, you see that you aren't transforming. But if you rest enough, and I've tested it, you start hitting events like Lae'zel going nuts and possibly trying to kill you, or everyone having fever dreams. Finally, you can start gaining minflayer powers, depending on your choices.
What about that isn't time progression?

Oh, right, it's all time progression, and that's why you skipped over it.
The point there is that they already fucked with the timeframe, so they could fuck with it some more!
Yeah, just make it take a year's worth of rests! Oops. Except if they do that, some players will say it takes too long, and others will say it's too short.

All someone has to do is go afk for a while and they've ruined their story progression.

As I said many posts ago, there are ways to work around this, but it's not WORTH it to Larian.
Again, you build your gameplay, then you write your story around it. Otherwise, if you put the cart before the horse, you don't get anywhere.
Chicken or the egg argument. Waste of time. Just like sticking in a tedious time management minigame that doesn't actually do anything.
My premise is that day/night cycles are beneficial in open-world cRPGs. I'd settle for a mostly cosmetic one, but I'd also welcome a more mechanically meaningful one. Which I told you on the next fucking line after the one you quoted.
Nigger, you just now skipped over my sentences. Be less butthurt about it.

And I know you'd "welcome" an expensive to develop feature like schedules, for example. We've been over that. You're just adding new features that weren't in BG games to the price tag, so it's irrelevant.
"Don't criticise this shit design because it's meant to be shit."
"The design is shit because it doesn't have one niche feature that I can't shut up about."
Great, then you can tell your story outside of camp too.
As I said, some cinematics can only occur in camp. It's how they manage the animation problem.
You need to take a break from the thread, you're having trouble reading.
Your fault for ninjaing my edit. You say I need to take a break, but here you are spamming refresh and making semantic arguments.
The "illusion of the open world" is cosmetic
Yes, it is. And the rest of what you suggested is stuff BG 1 & 2 didn't even make much use of.

I'm glad you think you can make a AAA game with all these features cheaply and think that you can design a 3D, cinematic game like a 2D game. Go do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom