Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Anyway. My point on this was that implementing a day/night cycle is no inherent impediment to it
Again, there are other narrative reasons. The tadpoles.

What about the level gain? In Baldur's Gate you'd at least have a couple months pass as you adventure around to explain that away (along with your Bhaalspawn nature). BG3 doesn't absolutely require day-night cycles, but the passage of time (more than a few days or a week) needs to be written into the game somehow.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
What about the level gain? In Baldur's Gate you'd at least have a couple months pass as you adventure around to explain that away (along with your Bhaalspawn nature). BG3 doesn't absolutely require day-night cycles, but the passage of time (more than a few days or a week) needs to be written into the game somehow.
5E is screwed up in general with levels from what I can tell. As I mentioned before, Wizard's Avernus campaign was for levels 1-13.

I don't even want to broach the topic because I have a feeling it will always lead back to 5E being trash. And I really don't understand the leveling system in 5E anyway, since I don't play it.

The way it is now in EA is fine, since the whole of act one is currently capped at level 4. Time does pass in the game, but only on rest.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
The day/night cycle discussion began May 2000
:shredder:
It's up there with the "I want to be introduced as an npc who romances Coran" discussion.
You know what's the worst? I'm able to believe that such a thread exists.
It's a story from the Black Isle forums. There used to be a female fan who INSISTED on having Coran as a romanceable npc in BG2. She was so infamous for this that Bioware brought back Coran, but as a cameo... in which he's in a relationship with Safana, and is being actively being hunted by a forest beast who demands his affection.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Coran_and_the_Wolfweres

Are you talking about this quest, I completed it and I was disappointed that Safana betrayed me for the bounty. She was an interesting Romance arc

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly, 2023 has been fucking LIT in terms of games.
So much good shit coming out, I hardly have time to complete it all, haven't had a year like that in forever.

cRPGS, ARPGS, horror stuff. its just GUD.

And ofc the crown of 2023 is also releasing this year, Colony Ship.

Get motherfucking hyped.

I swore Pathfinder would be my last big Fantasy CRPG I would dive into, but fuck me, Baldurs Gate 3 delivers, and it's a quite big step up for the lackluster D:OS 2 and D:OS.

Larian, you have impressed me, now keep your eye on the ball neggas

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So which one of you is gonna upload the Cuck% world record speedrun first when this game drops? What do you think the lowest amount of time is that you can spend collecting companions and having the series of unfortunate events that the seven man cuck squad has laid out for you take place?

I have no idea why you people keep arguing about the "tadpole progression threat".

There's no tadpole progression whatsoever in this game. You get scared a bit with the doom and gloom at the beginning but then it becomes quickly obvious that you are NOT changing no matter how much time you waste and how many rests you take.

How would this conflict with having a day/night cycle or even just a in-game clock more in general is not really clear. Whatever bullshit excuse they are using currently would apply in the same identical way.

And of course the "non edgy" mongoloid is going to spam a reaction instead of coming out with a convincing answer.

Also, Act 1 hasn't been capped to level 4 for almost 8 months at this point.
It's capped at 5, though.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
And of course the "non edgy" mongoloid is going to spam a reaction instead of coming out with a convincing answer.
Why bother repeating myself?
There's no tadpole progression whatsoever in this game.
So you don't get tadpole powers on rest after using the requisite Illithid Wisdom checks? Your companions don't exhibit symptoms over time? Did you just never try to rest to see these things happen?

Whatever. I've been over this with you again and again.

Also, Act 1 hasn't been capped to level 4 for almost 8 months at this point.
It's capped at 5, though.
Do they actually explain why the parasite isn't working-as-intended?
They come up with some contrived explanation, yes.
Finding it convincing is a matter of opinions I guess, but the bottom line in the end is: no, the clock is not ticking and you are not in a hurry.

So you don't get tadpole powers on rest after using the requisite Illithid Wisdom checks? Your companions don't exhibit symptoms over time? Did you just never try to rest to see these things happen?

Whatever. I've been over this with you again and again.
You experience side-effects AND develop special abilities IF (and only IF) you abuse your tadpole powers. Which you are not under any mandate to do.

That has NOTHING to do with being on a timer, though.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Because you're not on a timer, since everything is on rest. No need for a timer to be running at all.

Then there's the dreams and other events that are tied to how many times you've rested.

I tested it a long time ago. Just spam rest. See what happens.

I guess I should point out that if there were actual time, you'd need a timer, since a player could simply stay awake for days. Fatigue mechanics might help with this, I guess, but then it'd still be a time metagame in a turn-based game.

Anonona

Learned
Maybe I remember wrong, cause I haven't played early access, but weren't there "time" sensitive quest? Like, if you rest too many times the quest changes or something like that? I seem to remember being one about saving some people (fishers I think they were) from some corrupting or brain washing creature, and if you rested before saving them they would have become pretty much zombies. I may be remembering wrong.

Because you're not on a timer, since everything is on rest. No need for a timer to be running at all.

Then there's the dreams and other events that are tied to how many times you've rested.

I tested it a long time ago. Just spam rest. See what happens.
No You are not on a timer because it doesn't matter how many times you rest.

Also, the tadpole progression is NOT tied to how many times you rest but to how many times you use its power, so you made some pretty lousy test there.
You can go through the entire EA resting at will without seeing a single dream sequence if you don't use its power.

Not to mention that when we are saying "progression" we aren't talking about ACTUALLY transforming, but just unlocking a few more dreams. You can't reach game over and turn into a mind flayer resting too much.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe I remember wrong, cause I haven't played early access, but weren't there "time" sensitive quest? Like, if you rest too many times the quest changes or something like that?
Yes, I think Lae'zel could free herself from the trap and wander off if you didn't. Probably other things too.

I haven't played a completionism run, since I didn't want to spoil the actual game for myself.

Maybe I remember wrong, cause I haven't played early access, but weren't there "time" sensitive quest? Like, if you rest too many times the quest changes or something like that? I seem to remember being one about saving some people (fishers I think they were) from some corrupting or brain washing creature, and if you rested before saving them they would have become pretty much zombies. I may be remembering wrong.
The way it works is this: once you enter a certain area and activate an invisible trigger, you are supposed to do something before traveling away from the area or doing a long rest, otherwise that event progresses without you. It's not really time-based.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
huh I thought feats are something you gain every 4th level no matter how many dips you got and some of those looks very powerful (alert & lucky seems very good for all chars then stuff like war caster feels pretty mandatory for some classes) so this makes multiple dips less tempting. I would guess its pretty hard to pick +2 attributes when there are so many strong options

Anonona

Learned
As I see it, it seems Larian tied the passage of time to resting, as a way to introduce a kind of time management without having a real time-based time limit to quests and, hopefully, main story related events. I think a classic day to night cycle wouldn't work too well for the game then. If they were to implement Day and Night, it should be tied to resting. There should be a day and night version of each map with important differences, and long rest would change from one to the other. Night maps of course have their own encounters and change some existing ones. There could be wolfs at night and maybe the goblins in the goblin camp would be sleeping, but some would be patrolling with torches to find you if you are hiding in the shadows. And stealth would be very different thanks to the shadow and light system. The problem is that it probably would be a lot of work, specially if they want to keep reactivity, but could be feasible for the definitive edition. They did remade Act 3 of D:OS 2, so big changes aren't out of the question, but these may be just too much.

I don't know exactly how dramatic the effect of resting is on quests. There also should be important consequences to resting too much through the game. Similar on how Pathfinder:KM makes some event and quest change or fail if you take too long, BG3 should encourage as few long rests as possible to get the best results in all quests. Also Larian should have the balls of locking you into a bad ending if you rest too many times during the game. You should reach the last chapter and the tadpole should kill you if you "took too long".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom