Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BruceVC

Magister
I love you guys, for the last five days or so when I have troubles with sleeping I go to this thread, read your posts about day/night, tadpoles and other shit and after one or two pages I sleep like a baby.

You're the best!
It sounds like you dont understand the debate and confusion is known to induce somnolence?

Saravan

Savant
WOTR threads are not so sleep inducing since some of you retards stopped dropping by :(
Hold on just going to buff my party will respond in 10 minutes.
He's an asshole, but he's got a good point there

:despair:

fetchimage

cpmartins

Cipher
WOTR threads are not so sleep inducing since some of you retards stopped dropping by :(

That only lasts until you get Camellia those extended duration feats. After that point, my party of 12 was good to go for a whole day!
What do you mean you didn't give pets to EVERY SINGLE ONE of your companions? You retarded or something?

Darth Valer

Literate
It looks like they kept Sneak Attack as an action instead of a toggle/reaction. At this point it's believable they kept the same trash stealth system they had in the EA.
Hopes and dreams: crashed :negative:

Yosharian

Arcane

That only lasts until you get Camellia those extended duration feats. After that point, my party of 12 was good to go for a whole day!
Honestly, I don't agree. Even with 24H buffs, buffing is a tedious process that made me want to not play the game anymore.

With the buff mod, it's fine. Without? Fuck that shit.

Gargaune

Arcane
Things do change. You still haven't handled afk ruining games due to a hidden timer. You've come up with a new time management minigame. And I'm not sure why you and other posters keep equating this to MotB, since it's a countdown to transformation, not a spirit meter that you can fill or run low on.

The fact that you need to come up with that multi-paragraph cope of how to work around it and then shout "nothing changes!" when you just added new systems to the game is proof that this is an issue.

The rest of your post amounts to going back into circles we've already covered. You've chosen to spew a rehashed version of your argument instead of just responding to my post.
I'm not sure if you're just that fucking stupid, or if you're simply hoping that quoting a snippet and misrepresenting it is going to convince others you're not stupid because they're not going to the check what you're replying to. "Just responding" to your post isn't an option because you're deliberately trying to obfuscate the argument instead of engaging with it and formulating a cogent rebuttal. Which you can't, because you were wrong.

In any case, no - option (c) does not add any new mechanics. I gave you options (a) and (b) to illustrate how it could work on other mechanics, and then I gave you option (c) which adds absolutely nothing new. I outlined a potential new mechanic as strictly optional. AFK has no bearing on it, real time doesn't affect the tadpoles, there is no new minigame. You claim the game tracks rests for progression, it would still be doing the same thing exclusively.

So if you want to keep playing, I will quote option (c) again and you don't tell us that "things do change", you tell us WHAT changes and HOW that's a problem:

c) NOTHING FUCKING CHANGES

The tadpole eats your brain when you rest. Boom. You've got a dynamic day/night cycle as you play outside, but your tadpole ticker still increments when you take a nap, meaning the entire tadpole plot progresses exactly the same way Larian have it now, with it being tied to your need to replenish your resources. And since, without a fatigue mechanic, your rest frequency is governed by your resource use, it's literally the same in this regard.

Now if you were to also implement a fatigue mechanic, that could present an interesting opportunity to also cap the maximum time per tadpole increment, gain a little extra control as a designer that way. But that's entirely optional, you don't have to if it frightens you.

As for why the tadpole only eats your brain when you rest... Well, for whatever fucking reason the writer wants. You could say it's a gourmand tadpole and your brain's tastier while you're sleeping. Or - check this out - you could say nothing at all. We've already established that your transformation is not progressing per the usual rules for reasons that will be revealed later in the story. It's still "urgent", but slower and no one knows exactly how much time you have, so you can set that ticker to whatever the fuck you want. Part of a writer's job is to also know when not to explain shit. So, once more, nothing changes.
Drop the camp bit like you say, ignore the other options, you may address the above or admit you were incorrect.

Again, there are other narrative reasons. The tadpoles.
No, the tadpole lore isn't a problem, it's covered above, address it there.

Yes, because you have nothing of actual value to say.
No, it's because Reddit won't call you out for being a lying little weasel. :hug:

I have no idea why you people keep arguing about the "tadpole progression threat".
I didn't pick it, just addressing the ridiculous excuse that the game being rest-timed means we can't have possibly had day/night cycles. He said tadpoles, I went with that. All the more ridiculous once you pointed out how it all actually works, but you get the idea, it's a general design argument.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Saravan

Savant
I don't have a tiktok account so this is not showing up for me, but if anyone here is interested Larian posted a preview on their account:
https://www.tiktok.com/@larianstudios/video/7252686313881881899?_r=1&_t=8dlOyZXaEsf
Imagine picking anything other than Human white male fighter with longsword and shield.
Black male with spear and shield.
Watch out, whiteys!
Actually pretty based.

Herumor

Scholar
The bhaalspawn's story is over. What do you want, "somehow, the bhaalspawn has returned"?
Would it be really that far fetched for the Dead Three to start spawning new progeny for whatever schemes they might have?

I'm not saying I want to see that, just that it's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since the Slayer form is in the game's files, though I can't recall in what capacity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom