Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's funnier not knowing the context at all too.
I can just imagine the shitstorm from the first decision that caused the giant backpedal of the second one.
Ruleset changes. Especially 4e, which tried to dumb down the entire setting as well as the ruleset. Oops, but everyone hated it.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
xc2u39pyy8ab1.jpg

seems like u can swap your attributes around (for example half-elf 2 charisma for 2 str or whatever) so half-elf / 2-2 dwarf are best choice (or halfling with lucky fuckness)

human is trash

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reading through lore of the forgotten realms in preparation for playing this game is funny.
"Hey look here's this giant cataclysmic event that changes the entire universe, and the timeline skips 100 years"
"Oh and then there's a second cataclysmic event that actually retcons 90% of the first one, and the timeline skips 100 years again for good measure."

I've never seen such a blatant fuck-up in a setting just from reading wiki articles before. It's funnier not knowing the context at all too.
I can just imagine the shitstorm from the first decision that caused the giant backpedal of the second one.
You've seen it happen before in other media, where instead of paying homage, the shitheads that inherit an existing IP want to insert and shit over established things with their own "better" version. Only with 4E the people in charge "OK'ed" everything that they suggested (except changing the setting's name).

You're also underselling the back-peddling by the way. This wasn't simply restoring a few characters: gods that were annihilated were farted back into existence, characters that were dead returned *suddenly*, entire geographical landscapes and coastlines were magically restored, etc... .

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Reading through lore of the forgotten realms in preparation for playing this game is funny.
"Hey look here's this giant cataclysmic event that changes the entire universe, and the timeline skips 100 years"
"Oh and then there's a second cataclysmic event that actually retcons 90% of the first one, and the timeline skips 100 years again for good measure."

I've never seen such a blatant fuck-up in a setting just from reading wiki articles before. It's funnier not knowing the context at all too.
*Thanos snap* Reality can be whatever I want it to be when I'm the DM.

Anyway yeah it's complete trash. And I say that as someone who actually likes FR

Yosharian

Arcane
xc2u39pyy8ab1.jpg

seems like u can swap your attributes around (for example half-elf 2 charisma for 2 str or whatever) so half-elf / 2-2 dwarf are best choice (or halfling with lucky fuckness)

human is trash
Could you try explaining that again, but in English?

Takamori

Learned
Hmm wondering about an old ass prestige class in 3.5, the shadowbane inquisitor. Can I multiclass rogue/paladin and come out with something decent or I can't bullshit my way from penalty with Milthral Full Plate?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
xc2u39pyy8ab1.jpg

human is trash
Could you try explaining that again, but in English?

sure

edit and human is indeed trash since no extra feat + I doubt most of time u need more than 3 different attributes

Orud

Scholar
Patron
sure

edit and human is indeed trash since no extra feat + I doubt most of time u need more than 3 different attributes
Keep in mind that humans get +1 in every stat. For most classes your focus is on 2 stats but, especially the classic warrior archetypes (barb, fight, pal, ranger), you can't neglect your other stats. The aforementioned warrior derivatives will benefit from an overall higher combination of str+dex+con+(cha/wiz).

Saravan

Savant
sure

Keep in mind that humans get +1 in every stat. For most classes your focus is on 2 stats but, especially the classic warrior archetypes (barb, fight, pal, ranger), you can't neglect your other stats. The aforementioned warrior derivatives will benefit from an overall higher combination of str+dex+con+(cha/wiz).
Even if that wasn't the case elves and especially tieflings are cringe as MC. Fully respect the ability to play drow if swen has made sure that the game shits on them at every instance.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Even if that wasn't the case elves and especially tieflings are cringe as MC. Fully respect the ability to play drow if swen has made sure that the game shits on them at every instance.
Not swen's call. Forgotten realms has gotten all happy diverse tree-friends where everyone can play the most absurd monsterous races. Old, human(like) MC focused Forgotten Realms is gone.

At least they've not yet polluted Greyhawk now that they're trying to breath more life back into it. Although I'm quite sure we're going to see Goliaths and Dragonborn shoved in there too one of these days.

Saravan

Savant
Not swen's call. Forgotten realms has gotten all happy diverse tree-friends where everyone can play the most absurd monsterous races. Old, human(like) focused Forgotten Realms is gone.

At least they've not yet polluted Greyhawk now that they're trying to breath more life back into it. Although I'm quite sure we're going to see Goliaths and Dragonborn shoved in there too one of these days.
Well Swen did still call them races and not species. So at least we got that. Right? :negative:

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Well Swen did still call them races and not species. So at least we got that. Right? :negative:
That'll probably be one of highlights mentioned for the 'Definitive Edition", when they upgrade from 5E to 5.5E.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
So humans, elves, orcs, etc in DnD aren't already different species?

Serious question, all I ever read about the setting was some Planescape and Ravenloft source books.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Imoen romance mod
some say the tadpole wrote that one

It was Sven all time, then as a humble moder....
making esoteric belgian edutainment games by day, making weird fetish mods by night

Making esoteric Belgian edutainment games from government funds to sustain hobby as weird fetish mods creator by night*
And now he's making a fetish game! It's this one!

Turn-based fetish game*

How DARE you have your name when King Crispy is an admin here?

s-l1200.webp

Crispy don't hate own dreams.

Not swen's call. Forgotten realms has gotten all happy diverse tree-friends where everyone can play the most absurd monsterous races. Old, human(like) focused Forgotten Realms is gone.

Overton window. For five years you'll say "At lat some characters aren't trans, I am right?".

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Serious question, all I ever read about the setting was some Planescape and Ravenloft source books.
Just stick with that and maybe have a look at the 2E books for Dark Sun and you'll never need anything else ever again.

Looks like Mad Max meets John Carter, painted by Brom.

Man, the 90s really were the golden age of PnP RPGs.

More like end of 80s a beginning of 90s. In the second part of the decade TSR was sold and everything became more corporate. 2000s brings us some great things, but less and less with every year, and then 2012 happened and we are in current place.

Same story witch cRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom