Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer are you going to keep spamming emotes like a dimwitted sub-human or maybe even point a single wrong thing I said in these last few posts?

Because we aren't even talking opinions at this point.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
No You are not on a timer because it doesn't matter how many times you rest.
It does.
Also, the tadpole progression is NOT tied to how many times you rest but to how many times you use its power
Yes and no. The powers and some of the side effects are tied to use, but you still need to rest to make it happen.
The way it works is this: once you enter a certain area and activate an invisible trigger, you are supposed to do something before traveling away from the area or doing a long rest, otherwise that event progresses without you. It's not really time-based.
Again:
I guess I should point out that if there were actual time, you'd need a timer, since a player could simply stay awake for days. Fatigue mechanics might help with this, I guess, but then it'd still be a time metagame in a turn-based game.
They're tied to rest/travel because that's how they track time. You saying "it's tied to rest" over and over is meaningless.

There is no "time" to track. That's the whole point of our discussion, and probably a big part of the reason they went with this.
You can go through the entire EA resting at will without seeing a single dream sequence.
Pretty sure that's wrong and you always have at least one or two, but maybe it's been changed since I tested it.
Not to mention that when we are saying "progression" we aren't talking about ACTUALLY transforming, but just unlocking a few more dreams. You can't reach game over and turn into a mind flayer resting too much.
Of course not. But as a player, you don't know this unless you're metagaming and look up a guide. The dreams have an actual effect though, if you've used IW enough. And there are events tied to the number of times rested.
@Non-Edgy Gamer are you going to keep spamming emotes like a dimwitted sub-human or maybe even point a single wrong thing I said in these last few posts?

Because we aren't even talking opinions at this point.
The site froze up for me for a while, so I left with most of this written, cut/pasting one of your new posts in the middle where it fit. I don't like to spam multiple replies anyway.

It really, really doesn't. Describe me a single tangible negative consequence of resting too much or shut up.

Yes and no. The powers and some of the side effects are tied to use, but you still need to rest to make it happen.
You are dancing around the point. If you don't use the tadpole you just don't experience any of this.

Again:
I guess I should point out that if there were actual time, you'd need a timer, since a player could simply stay awake for days. Fatigue mechanics might help with this, I guess, but then it'd still be a time metagame in a turn-based game.
Just because you are saying it "again" it doesn't mean you were making a solid point to begin with.

You can go through the entire EA resting at will without seeing a single dream sequence.
Pretty sure that's wrong and you always have at least one or two, but maybe it's been changed since I tested it.
Pretty sure it's not, since I already did it multiple times. So it doesn't really matter how much "you doubt it".
It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about.

Of course not. But as a player, you don't know this unless you're metagaming and look up a guide. The dreams have an actual effect though, if you've used IW enough. And there are events tied to the number of times rested.
You are dancing around the point again.
This does not contradict anything I said so far and still, you keep marking all my FACTUAL statements as "Retarded" without pointing a single wrong thing I said.

Last edited:
As I see it, it seems Larian tied the passage of time to resting, as a way to introduce a kind of time management without having a real time-based time limit to quests and, hopefully, main story related events. I think a classic day to night cycle wouldn't work too well for the game then.
It would make literally no difference. You' be still mandate to solve whatever "timed" situation you cross on the spot or to miss it.
A minor problem of the current system, incidentally, is precisely that you have no way of knowling if you activated one of these invisible triggers, so it's pretty easy to miss something if you don't know you are supposed to be looking for it.
It's generally a good idea if when you enter a new area you commit to exploring it top to bottom.

Weirdy enough this system makes EASIER to miss content compared to something like Kingmaker or Wrath of the Righteous, games that have a day/night cycle AND run actual timers/deadlines to complete quests.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It really, really doesn't. Describe me a single tangible negative consequence of resting too much or shut up.
I already gave them to you. Scroll up. Here's one: You're progressing events too quickly. Here's another: you could end up having to kill one of your companions before you have enough influence with them to stop them from nutting out.
You are dancing around the point. If you don't use the tadpole you just don't experience any of this.
Just don't play the game. You'll never see them then either. :roll:
Just because you are saying it "again" it doesn't mean you were making a solid point to begin with.
No, but the point itself is solid. As evidenced by your ignoring it rather than responding.
Pretty sure it's not, since I already did it multiple times. So it doesn't really matter how much "you doubt it".
Again, maybe it's changed since I've tested it.
It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about.
Same to you.
You are dancing around the point again.
:dance:
This does not contradict anything I said so far and still, you keep marking all my FACTUAL statements as "Retarded" without pointing a single wrong thing I said.
Maybe you just don't recognize your errors. I pointed out multiple things that were wrong.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Honestly, 2023 has been fucking LIT in terms of games.
So much good shit coming out, I hardly have time to complete it all, haven't had a year like that in forever.

cRPGS, ARPGS, horror stuff. its just GUD.

And ofc the crown of 2023 is also releasing this year, Colony Ship.

Get motherfucking hyped.

I swore Pathfinder would be my last big Fantasy CRPG I would dive into, but fuck me, Baldurs Gate 3 delivers, and it's a quite big step up for the lackluster D:OS 2 and D:OS.

Larian, you have impressed me, now keep your eye on the ball neggas
ok, guys. dildolos is here. bg3 confirmed shit. disperse.

I already gave them to you. Scroll up. Here's one: You're progressing events too quickly. Here's another: you could end up having to kill one of your companions before you have enough influence with them to stop them from nutting out.
But that's... not even remotely true? You are pulling this out of your ass.
In fact a common complaint currently in EA is that it feels like the game would expect you to SPAM long rests incessantly, otherwise companion interactions seem to barely progress.
I ended at least one playthrough without even managing to "discover" that Astarion was a vampire.

Jesus Christ, this is exausting because at this point you are doing some acrobatic mirror climbing to cover your sorry uneducated ass.
"You don't recognize your errors". Holy fucking shit.

Anonona

Learned
It would make literally no difference. You' be still mandate to solve whatever "timed" situation you cross on the spot or to miss it.
I was thinking on the lines of encouraging player to manage their resources and limit their long rests by. As in, trying to defeat enemies or solve situations using smart ways that help you conserve spells and items and going as far as possible without resting. I guess it depends on how this trigger activate. I though that resting would "advance" all quest in the map you are in, as in, if you start a chapter and immediately rest a few times, then all quest would be in a different state. But it sounds like is not that, am I wrong?.

A minor problem of the current system, incidentally, is precisely that you have no way of knowling if you activated one of these invisible triggers, so it's pretty easy to miss something if you don't know you are supposed to be looking for it.

I wouldn't call it a problem exactly, I think is fine no to show if you activated a trigger, but the game should certainly explain to the players that resting too much has consequences. Does the game has some tutorial explaining this or the like?

Weirdy enough this system makes EASIER to miss content compared to something like Kingmaker or Wrath of the Righteous, games that have a day/night cycle AND run actual timers/deadlines to complete quests.
I think this is because those games actually make it clear and obvious that there is a time limit, and some quest are structured in a way that makes it obvious why certain things happened

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
But that's... not even remotely true? You are pulling this out of your ass.
I'm not.
In fact a common complaint currently in EA is that it feels like the game would expect you to SPAM long rests incessantly, otherwise companion interactions seem to barely progress.
Probably overcompensation for playtesters spamming long rest. Wasn't this way when I tested it, but that was at least a year ago now, I think.

Then again, you're seeing only Act One, so it's possible it evens out even in such cases in other acts.
Jesus Christ, this is exausting because at this point you are doing some acrobatic mirror climbing to cover your sorry uneducated ass.
"You don't recognize your errors". Holy fucking shit.
You seem upset.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This is false. The dreams only happen if you use the tadpole powers.
I seem to remember the first dream always used to happen even in my non-tadpole runs.

Even if that's the case in the current patch though, it still ties back to rest being used to track time.

I wouldn't call it a problem exactly, I think is fine no to show if you activated a trigger, but the game should certainly explain to the players that resting too much has consequences. Does the game has some tutorial explaining this or the like?
No. Let's put aside the non-edgy moron for a second. You are not listening to my explanations either.

This is not about "resting too much". It's not tied to resting. Resting can be a "sure failure" state, but not the only way to miss out on something.
You can enter an area, decide that you "forgot to check a thing" and backtrack a couple of screens away. And once you are back that bugbear assassin that you were supposed to stop in a corner of the map already killed his target.
That child that was waiting 50 meters ahead and you were supposed to save from the sirens may be dead.
That man that you were supposed to help saving/finding his wife in a flaming building has burned alive.

And so on.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That man that you were supposed to help saving/finding his wife in a flaming building has burned alive.
The burning building, if you're referring to it, was actually timed though, wasn't it? The fire spreads. The quest was kind of bugged when I played it though.
I've been telling you that's not the case for a while. You just don't want to listen, do you?
I've been telling you over and over that it might have changed since I first tested it.
Again, maybe it's changed since I've tested it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Companions have actual portraits now

vzkcee15uaab1.jpg

:incline:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
As I see it, it seems Larian tied the passage of time to resting, as a way to introduce a kind of time management without having a real time-based time limit to quests and, hopefully, main story related events. I think a classic day to night cycle wouldn't work too well for the game then. If they were to implement Day and Night, it should be tied to resting. There should be a day and night version of each map with important differences, and long rest would change from one to the other. Night maps of course have their own encounters and change some existing ones. There could be wolfs at night and maybe the goblins in the goblin camp would be sleeping, but some would be patrolling with torches to find you if you are hiding in the shadows. And stealth would be very different thanks to the shadow and light system. The problem is that it probably would be a lot of work, specially if they want to keep reactivity, but could be feasible for the definitive edition. They did remade Act 3 of D:OS 2, so big changes aren't out of the question, but these may be just too much.

I don't know exactly how dramatic the effect of resting is on quests. There also should be important consequences to resting too much through the game. Similar on how Pathfinder:KM makes some event and quest change or fail if you take too long, BG3 should encourage as few long rests as possible to get the best results in all quests. Also Larian should have the balls of locking you into a bad ending if you rest too many times during the game. You should reach the last chapter and the tadpole should kill you if you "took too long".
The best way to limit resting is to associate resting to non easy to obtain consumable resources. The same idea is used in pathfinder and pillar games. The problem there is that these resources are too easy to obtain, but the idea is good.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I seem to remember the first dream always used to happen even in my non-tadpole runs.
Do you save Shadowheart from the pod?
I replayed it more recently without doing any real testing, so I've seen this and hate it.

If you like SH, you save her, but I think it ruins her character a bit. I have saved her, but I prefer not saving her like in the original.

But I'm speaking of the original, so no, I guess?

The best way to limit resting is to associate resting to non easy to obtain consumable resources. The same idea is used in pathfinder and pillar games. The problem there is that these resources are too easy to obtain, but the idea is good.
Kingmaker found a good balance, since it made "rest supplies" cheap but heavy to carry. And since "travelling light" in that game gave you notable benefits (increasing your travel speed significantly) the trade-off was worth considering.
You were also offered the option to hunt for supplies if you had time to spare.
Personally I don't think that what they did with WOTR was an improvement.

Aarwolf

Learned
I love you guys, for the last five days or so when I have troubles with sleeping I go to this thread, read your posts about day/night, tadpoles and other shit and after one or two pages I sleep like a baby.

You're the best!

Saravan

Savant
I love you guys, for the last five days or so when I have troubles with sleeping I go to this thread, read your posts about day/night, tadpoles and other shit and after one or two pages I sleep like a baby.

You're the best!
Please bro go back to wrath of the tranny and stack +56 str or w/e the fuck you do in that fake ARPG.

Aarwolf

Learned
WOTR threads are not so sleep inducing since some of you retards stopped dropping by :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom