Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
I'm sorry to derail the discussion, but, speaking of BG3: stealth is so fucking broken in this game. You can basically sneak around the edges of the area where the encounter takes place, killing enemies one by one. If this is working as intended, at Larian they really don't know what they are doing. They should just insert the sneaking character in the initiative order as soon as he makes his first attack against an enemy, or drop the multiplayer altogether (please, Swen, pretty please...) and implement a proper surprise round.
Well, the P&P ruleset certainly agrees, seeing as when you make an attack from Stealth "you give away your position."

Additionally on stealth, I'd say the vision cone is a mistake, at least the way it appears to be currently implemented - 5E's stealth was supposed to replace both Hide and Move Silently from 3.5E, you shouldn't be able to creep up behind an NPC without some sort of roll even if it's pitch black. Heck, even Bethesda games account for noise. Dynamic line-of-sight is at its core an Action element, if you want to work it into a CRPG you should do so as a modifier, not an absolute toggle.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well, if they decided to show us the best stuff they got in terms of quests... wow, just wow. You encounter a wounded tiefling, and she tells you that a group of fanatics is trying to kill her for no reason whatsoever. Then you encounter said fanatics, and they tell you that there is a tiefling running around killing innocent people (the narrator tells you that it might be the one you met before on the shore... thanks, very helpful). You go back to the tiefling and... there's no dialogue option to confront her about what you just discovered. What the fuck. You either kill her without giving her a chance to explain, or kill the fanatics without knowing if they are right or wrong.
You messed up.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, the P&P ruleset certainly agrees, seeing as when you make an attack from Stealth "you give away your position."

Additionally on stealth, I'd say the vision cone is a mistake, at least the way it appears to be currently implemented - 5E's stealth was supposed to replace both Hide and Move Silently from 3.5E, you shouldn't be able to creep up behind an NPC without some sort of roll even if it's pitch black. Heck, even Bethesda games account for noise. Dynamic line-of-sight is at its core an Action element, if you want to work it into a CRPG you should do so as a modifier, not an absolute toggle.
You roll a stealth check and then compare that to the passive perception (which is both hearing and sight) of the mobs if they aren't aware of your presence. If they are, you roll perception checks for them to see if they see you. You get penalties on your stealth check if you are in the open or illuminated in some way.

Gargaune

Magister
Maybe it's me, but that "don't paly as the white guy, play as that monster with big horns" sounds like subtle trolling
Actually, it rather sounds like the art department would like to have more of their meshes tested for clipping. Remember, Early Access is just a pre-sale and a public Beta rolled into one.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, if they decided to show us the best stuff they got in terms of quests... wow, just wow. You encounter a wounded tiefling, and she tells you that a group of fanatics is trying to kill her for no reason whatsoever. Then you encounter said fanatics, and they tell you that there is a tiefling running around killing innocent people (the narrator tells you that it might be the one you met before on the shore... thanks, very helpful). You go back to the tiefling and... there's no dialogue option to confront her about what you just discovered. What the fuck. You either kill her without giving her a chance to explain, or kill the fanatics without knowing if they are right or wrong.

A lot of options seem to be missing in general. Often I find myself staring at two solutions, wanting to choose "neither, I want one in the middle".
The thing with the caged goblin is another such thing. Stand by and watch the prisoner get executed or step in front of the crossbow, triggering a fight with bad luck.
However it is relatively unlikely they will heavily rework dialogue trees and add new options, the mocap and va is already in the sack. Another reason as for why Mocap and full VA are agents of decline.

Gargaune

Magister
You roll a stealth check and then compare that to the passive perception (which is both hearing and sight) of the mobs if they aren't aware of your presence. If they are, you roll perception checks for them to see if they see you. You get penalties on your stealth check if you are in the open or illuminated in some way.
Really, is that how it works? Then that's pretty good, thanks. I kept seeing Swen just stroll up behind unaware NPCs and thought there was no roll involved.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Really, is that how it works? Then that's pretty good, thanks. I kept seeing Swen just stroll up behind unaware NPCs and thought there was no roll involved.
That's how it works in PnP at least. No idea about BG3.

Gastrick

Cipher
The moral panic in the 80s had nothing to do with homosexuality. Fundies have/had a kneejerk reaction to anything with magic (unless that magic is done through God/Jesus) and demons in it. They hate Harry Potter for the same reason.
I can confirm, even to this day they hate any sort of magic. In the case I saw it was Magic the Gathering, so it has nothing to do with roleplaying and storybuilding. They wouldn't even have known that it's an escapism alternate-world sim game at all, nevermind cared. Lacrymas is a dumbfuck.

Shinros

Learned
Post a picture of your username written on your erect dick or I don't believe you.
Here, try talking to actual people.

https://ibb.co/Drv4R0n

Drv4R0n

Last edited:

Shinros

Learned
To be on track for a moment, overall from what I've seen of BG3 it looks decent, could never get into DOS 1 or 2. The writing didn't jive with me. I might give early access a go next week. But Larian often falls into the trap of a decent to good act 1, then it all falls downhill from there.

Bah

Arcane
For other linux players, I was having problems with saves hanging, and the game crashing quite frequently. Ended up having to bump up the per-user file limit from 8192 to 65535, which seems to have made it at least playable now.

Codex Year of the Donut
For other linux players, I was having problems with saves hanging, and the game crashing quite frequently. Ended up having to bump up the per-user file limit from 8192 to 65535, which seems to have made it at least playable now.
I had no issues at all.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Thanks! What do you mean by “you get more spells memorised from your main stat” though? Like more spells learned?
You can learn all the spells you find as a Wizard, intelligence governs how many of them you can prepare. However, you only have a limited amount of spell slots (i.e. casts) to use them with. If you have 6 prepared spells, but only 3 spell slots, you can cast a spell 3 times from the prepared spell pool. You can cast a spell 3 times or you can cast different spells each time, or any combination thereof, it's up to you. There is no way to influence spell slots with attributes.

Wait, so 5th edition wizard is essentialy 3rd edition sorcerer?

No. The Wizard is now king of versatility unmatched by 3e Sorcerer. You know as many spells as you ever find, you *prepare* X of them per day, and you cast Y of them in any available combination. A 3e Sorcerer was limited to a fixed amount of known spells, period.

Only more proof that Larian know jack shit about RPGs and RPG players.
Wait, this retard is disappointed that most players took the white male as a character? The fuck about "this is your own fault"? What if players don't want deformities like tails, horns, demon eyes and non-white skin?
They would also see far more variety if they actually allowed generation of multiple characters like a proper D&D game. If players were creating 3-6 characters they would begin to add much more variety, but when limited to a single choice they choose the one most like them.

Bah

Arcane
I had no issues at all.

I would suspect it depends on what the default open file limit is in your distribution. (e.g. cat /proc/<processid>/limits )

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Apparently, if we let black people make black characters in video games we will all degenerate and die. Black people must be forced to play white characters so that they know how good they could have had it or something? Is recognizing that some black people play your game SJW? You can play a half-orc but don't you dare be a fucking black person.

Poseidon00

Arcane
A black PC on The Sword Coast is one thing. You can have a history, maybe you are a Calishite or a Chultan. Maybe you have a reason for being there.

When most of The Flaming Fist along with most other humans are black on the Sword Coast, the place of the fair skinned, northlander Illuskans, I'm gonna call bullshit.

Sharpedge

Prophet
What are other's thoughts on
Omeluum, the friendly mindflayer?
Seems likely to me that the theories earlier in the thread about
mindflayer tadpoles being modified by bhaal is likely, especially considering the skeleton in your camp is a priest of Jergal.
Also, this item is really good:
unknown.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh.... i really sorry for your strong Melanin pigmintation. Does it hurt.. is it a permanent condition? Don't worry it is Ok to be black or brown or any color, besides white.
226.jpg
Jokes aside i don't think that anyone would really care about skin color here. More important questions are: TB or RTwP ? Do you like Fallout 3? And what is a RPG? If you fail in this question then you are BLACKlisted.

The Green Ranger is actually the Yellow Ranger (SABERTOOTH TIGER) and the White Ranger is the Pink Ranger (PTERODACTYL).

Fucking BULLSHIT picture. BULLSHIT.

Gyor

Savant
It's very sad that even after two decades, a small, buggy game remains the undisputed champion when it comes to combat/rolls log, combined with its encylopedia-like feature.
toee+skill+check+bonus+breakdown.jpg

What game is that?
Temple of Elemental Evil
It even has what is essentially the entire PHB in the form of an ingame wiki-like format
Anything that's blue in the window is a link to another part of the ingame manual

I remember being completely blown away by it and no big budget RPGs even come close to having such a useful feature.

I have that game and I still haven't gotten around to actually playing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom