Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

copebot

Learned
copebot, my point is that we're not going the get very far discussing the merits of a D&D adventurer's panoply because it is, as you say, subject to the Rule of Cool and only loosely inspired by historical practice. I do like it when individual items try to adhere to their historical sources - e.g. real, historical armour looks much cooler than BG3's "fantasy armour" - but we have to make some affordances for the stereotypical adventurer wearing full plate when hunting cave trolls, or we just wouldn't get to have full plate in the games. Same with coinage, now that you mention it, inventory management would become a right pain if we had to get our healing potions in trade for live chickens.
I do think that, for the most part, creatives will get more Cool mileage by aping history than aping Marvel or just aping other games repeatedly. Often times these game plots and attempts at "worldbuilding" just create a lot of pointless complexity that overwhelms any drama. Part of what makes fantasy and stories from the past actually escapist is that it's a window into a world with a whole lot less information overload.

You can't really lay it at the feet of Forgotten Realms either, because BG3 just ignores a lot of the background of the setting because they want to make it feel modern or the writers just cannot imagine a different time. Peasants write love letters to each other (where did they learn how? why would they need to write a letter?), barbarians with 8 intelligence can easily intuit that a brain has an "edema" without any special feats on a 10 DC roll, they ignore the language groups (BG1/2 did the same as do most computer games), somehow entirely different species live cluttered atop one another, vast druid settlements exist without any visible farms, hunting grounds, or foraging grounds suitable for a population of that size, and so on and so forth. This also contributes to why every game like this feels exactly the same. Cyberpunk has dead bodies with emails on them. System Shock 2 has dead bodies with emails on them, Bioshock has dead bodies with vinyl records on them or whatever. Assassin's Creed has dead bodies with letters on them (how did they learn to write in vulgar language, where did they get the ink etc.), Skyrim has dead bodies with letters on them, and so on and so forth.

I don't particularly understand why the companies invest so much into "worldbuilding" that amounts to a pile of stuff that makes no sense just to check boxes that they have fully developed LORE even though none of it makes much sense or is terribly compelling.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I watched someone stream BG 1 on Twitch today. It was their first time playing and I'm sure 90% of the people in chat were seeing it for the first time as well. A lot of the comments in chat were along the lines of "Is this the bear fucking game?", "When are you gonna fuck the bear?" and other bear-related jokes. This is what the BG series will be known for from now on. Thanks, Larian :salute:
This is who Baldur's Gate 3 was made for. It wasn't made for fans of the OG's or CRPG's. It was made for streamers. Also, it's disheartening to hear that a story once known for doing a great job of deconstruing the "Chosen Hero" troupe is now only going to be remembered for gay bear sex. Current year writers are nothing but iconoclasts.

Black

Arcane
I wonder what the completion rates of this game will be. I have a feeling 99% of the people brought in by the hype won't be finishing this game or even the first act.

99% of their new target audience will "finish" the game by watching cohhcarnage or other weirdo streaming it on twitch.
That much is true, look at how many people even arrived to Arx in DOS 2.
https://steamcommunity.com/stats/435150/achievements
95% positive reviews for a game retards can't even be bothered to finish.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
Its stupid, but this goes for almost every long game, you'd have an easier time listing the rare ones with a decent completion rate. They'll play a few hours, decide they had their fun, drop it, then pre order the next one.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Its stupid, but this goes for almost every long game, you'd have an easier time listing the rare ones with a decent completion rate. They'll play a few hours, decide they had their fun, drop it, then pre order the next one.
I know it's weird, but I have this issue where I'll get to the final dungeon or level, and then never bother to complete the game.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Anyone else posted this?

Hi.

QJekATV.jpg

BUT THEY HAVE NO NIGHT CYCLE!!!! :oops:

Thanks,
Sherry

Reminds me of this bullshit line from Todd Howard, followed by a round of applause and woo'ing.

Because it's not like you could play as a female in Fallout 1 or anything. Or Fallout 2. Or Fallout Tactics. BoS. Fallout 3. New Vegas.. wait, when couldn't you play as a female in a Fallout game?

Bethesda and Larian are basically Kin at this point with their insipid shit.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath

31% finishing the main quest is pretty good.

19xrsTi.jpg

Jackpot

Learned
I'm amazed by how much content the game will have that was never in early access despite the game being there for years.
It's so weird that even basic shit like multiclassing, monks, or dragonborn were never tested in early access.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The number of fetishes I've found so far in Baldur's Gate 3.
  • Foot fetish
  • Bestiality
  • Mind Break
  • Submission
  • Cuckoldry
  • Polyamory
  • Yaoi/Fujoshi
  • Femdom
Fuck, Wrath of the Righteous looks like a fucking nunnery compared to this pride parade of a game.

Also anyone buying BG3 on EA is a cash piggy to Larian's findom, too.

Ent

Savant
Couple of interesting things mentioned in the one of the articles (might be a bit inaccurate due to the translation):
1. They mentioned baking in the hexblade features into pact of the blade which is fine to me because the hexblade patron for warlocks was a bad band-aid fix by wizards of the coast and frontloaded too much stuff at level 1.
2. They mentioned something about changing multiclassing and talked about how players are penalized for multiclassing two casting classing. This one I'm a bit iffy on - casters are already very strong in DnD and basically allowing everyone to be a mystic theurge innately seems bonkers.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Ha ha what if you got the game on EA like 4 years ago and forgot about it. That's not gay then right? I mean you could have just finished playing DoS2 and thought "Wow these guys might do a good job with BG3 I'll get the game on discount and forget about it"

If you did purchase the early access. Not that I did ha ha.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Ha ha what if you got the game on EA like 4 years ago and forgot about it. That's not gay then right? I mean you could have just finished playing DoS2 and thought "Wow these guys might do a good job with BG3 I'll get the game on discount and forget about it"

If you did purchase the early access. Not that I did ha ha.
NO EXCUSE!

Did you not watch the very first gameplay reveal livestream where Swen was shooting explosive barrels and stacking boxes? On a sunny beach, no less, that looked remarkably identical to DOS1/DOS2.

That was moment the alarm bells in your head should have been going off in full swing. But you let your urge to consume a new product take control. And now it is too late for you.

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I'm amazed by how much content the game will have that was never in early access despite the game being there for years.
It's so weird that even basic shit like multiclassing, monks, or dragonborn were never tested in early access.
I believe, based on Swen saying his favorite part of the game is the newest part, that they kept a lot of these core mechanics hidden or they changed them at the last month to make the release feel fresh. But that doesn't bode well for the lads.

Takamori

Learned
I just crossed an italian preview/interview with the game designer where this absolute fool brags about their bold idea of removing any stat requirement for multiclassing.
If this was bad in itself, what followed was the dimwit bragging about how they "reworked the assignment of spells and spell slots" to not make these poor multiclassing underdogs lag behind the privileged single-class players that were unlocking high level spells faster.

I'm starting to thin these people couldn't design a competent subsystem (or even just a decent homebrew rule) even if their entire lives depended on it.
So no penalty in spell progression if you multiclass? Are they retarded?
Well I will do a fucking Sorcadin then, shit was already crazy good

Takamori

Learned
I know already which gameplay mod should be done day 1. 5e grognard edition, where you remove all the Larian retarded shit and add whatever material is missing from the supplements.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I know already which gameplay mod should be done day 1. 5e grognard edition, where you remove all the Larian retarded shit and add whatever material is missing from the supplements.
5E and grognard does not mix, they're polar opposites.

Takamori

Learned
5E and grognard does not mix, they're polar opposites.
Well Larian managed the impossible to defile a system made for retards. So the game would actually benefit from being returned to the vanilla ruleset.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Off the top of my head the most heinous shit should be:
  • Using consumables is a Bonus Action for everyone;
  • Shove is a Bonus Action for everyone and it's not Knock Prone / Push 5-foot but Push for a huge distance scaling with charachter Strength;
  • Wizards can learn divine spells from scrolls, including healing ones;
  • Characters can be healed from a distance via throwing potions near them (throwing directly at them causes blunt damage with the risk of killing dying allies); there isn't an option to "Heal Other" with a consumable like in Solasta;
  • Characters can freely swap equipped weapons without penalties; picking stuff from the ground was also completely free iirc.
To me each and any of these points would be much more worth cutting Larian devs' throats (in-game) rather than an optional joke scene.
Video game streamers and its consequences have been a disaster for gaming. I get the feeling that WotC probably binge watch thots playing video games on Twitch and told Larian; "Make a game that will get Twitch thots to play our games! Our sales will go through the roof if you do!" Everything about this game is just to appeal to the lowest common denominator of streamers. All streamers and their brain dead audience want is "LMAO! Quirky humor!" and "LOL! Quirky sex!" RPG elements and gameplay? What's that? I can't jerk off to Pokimane having her character have sex with a bear when the game is about RPG elements and gameplay!"

Drakortha

Liturgist
Video game streamers and its consequences have been a disaster for gaming. I get the feeling that WotC probably binge watch thots playing video games on Twitch and told Larian; "Make a game that will get Twitch thots to play our games! Our sales will go through the roof if you do!" Everything about this game is just to appeal to the lowest common denominator of streamers. All streamers and their brain dead audience want is "LMAO! Quirky humor!" and "LOL! Quirky sex!" RPG elements and gameplay? What's that? I can't jerk off to Pokimane having her character have sex with a bear when the game is about RPG elements and gameplay!"
Players of all kinds undoubtedly want one thing in their games; the freedom of choice. This becomes an issue when the mainstream headcannon of millenials and zoomers is that freedom of choice just means who you can fuck and in which holes, thanks to almost 10 years of decadent brainwashing.

So it's no wonder Larian comes out with their RPG and decided that the best way to illustrate freedom of choice in their games is .. well, you get the idea.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom