Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Multiplayer.it: We would like to start from multiclassing, given that in the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset its use is rather limited, certainly more than it was in the Divinity system. How did you approach it? Did you make it more flexible and interesting in any way?

Nick Pechenin:
We've changed a couple of ground rules, just to remove possible friction with multiclassing. If you know the rules of the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons, you surely know that in order to multiclass there are stat limits that you must respect: we have removed them, there are no more stat requirements and you can make a character with multiple classes in any moment.
The other thing we've changed is how magic users use spell slots, making it less punishing to level more than one magic class. One issue with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class, but we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the start of the campaign, without having to necessarily wait for the advanced levels, so it was the case to revise the use of resources a bit.

If that second part means that its not separate class caster level but total multiclassed casters levels which determine which tier spells u can cast then multiclassing is probably very broken

source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...nterview_at_the_lead_system_designer/jrfpx9l/

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Reasons BG3 is good:
  • If it succeeds, it will forever overshadow the Bioware BG games
  • If it fails, it will tarnish the Bioware BG games by association

I prefer to think of BG3 as a win/win situation. :greatjob:
Me in April 2021: I look forward to Baldur's Gate 3, whether good or bad, overshadowing the Bioware BG games.

Larian in July 2023: We're going to ensure that the name Baldur's Gate will forever be associated with bear-buggery.

:abyssgazer:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Reasons BG3 is good:

Me in April 2021: I look forward to Baldur's Gate 3, whether good or bad, overshadowing the Bioware BG games.

Larian in July 2023: We're going to ensure that the name Baldur's Gate will forever be associated with bear-buggery.

What the fuck did you expect?!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Reasons BG3 is good:

BG1 and BG2: "We got Bugbears! "
Larian: "Hold my beer!"
BG3: "We got Butt Bears!"

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It's all according to Greenwoods keikakku

The current Forgotten Realms material is highly sanitized from Ed's original vision. In FR as created by Ed:

Bisexuality is normal (and yes, this means the men as well as the women)
Transgenderism is encouraged by several deities so that priests can experience life as the other sex
"Revels" (some of which involve sex) are normal
"Festhalls" (many of which employ prostitutes as staff) are relatively common and visiting them is the normal way to spend an evening.
Prostitution is a core industry of the Forgotten Realms; "sex workers" are all over and there are about 40 different names for different kinds of prostitutes.
Incest is a normal way for noble families to "indulge feelings of mutual affection" (poor people don't as they can't afford the contraception)
Pretty much all of the immortal NPCs in the Realms have come to believe that accepted sexual norms such as temperance are bullshit, so they flout them. Constantly.
All of this is confirmed by Ed Greenwood himself via his responses to fan queries on the Candlekeep forum.

Takamori

Learned
Ok breaking from the gay bear butt sex. So besides weapons BG3 having their own moves, combat having some focus of using the scenario(but same could be said in a regular 5e depending on the dm) and multiclass not having requirements, what else Larian changed from 5e?

The other thing we've changed is how magic users use spell slots, making it less punishing to level more than one magic class. One issue with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class, but we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the start of the campaign, without having to necessarily wait for the advanced levels, so it was the case to revise the use of resources a bit.

If that second part means that its not separate class caster level but total multiclassed casters levels which determine which tier spells u can cast then multiclassing is probably very broken

source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...nterview_at_the_lead_system_designer/jrfpx9l/

Yeesh. That does sound OP. If I recall correctly 5E caster level is totalled by all caster class levels, and all spell slots are shared. You still only had access to spell tiers based on your class level though. So 10:10 Wizard:Cleric would have the same amount of spell lots as a 20 wizard, but only access to Lvl 5 spells.

If larian is making everyone a theurge, just missing out on class features, that's still an OP homebrew. I recall reading that wizards are able to learn spells from divine scrolls too. It was a bug that retained as a feature. Does that still exist?

Darth Valer

Literate
Ok breaking from the gay bear butt sex. So besides weapons BG3 having their own moves, combat having some focus of using the scenario(but same could be said in a regular 5e depending on the dm) and multiclass not having requirements, what else Larian changed from 5e?
Off the top of my head the most heinous shit should be:
  • Using consumables is a Bonus Action for everyone;
  • Shove is a Bonus Action for everyone and it's not Knock Prone / Push 5-foot but Push for a huge distance scaling with charachter Strength;
  • Wizards can learn divine spells from scrolls, including healing ones;
  • Characters can be healed from a distance via throwing potions near them (throwing directly at them causes blunt damage with the risk of killing dying allies); there isn't an option to "Heal Other" with a consumable like in Solasta;
  • Characters can freely swap equipped weapons without penalties; picking stuff from the ground was also completely free iirc.
To me each and any of these points would be much more worth cutting Larian devs' throats (in-game) rather than an optional joke scene.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

source:

Yeesh. That does sound OP. If I recall correctly 5E caster level is totalled by all caster class levels, and all spell slots are shared. You still only had access to spell tiers based on your class level though. So 10:10 Wizard:Cleric would have the same amount of spell lots as a 20 wizard, but only access to Lvl 5 spells.

If larian is making everyone a theurge, just missing out on class features, that's still an OP homebrew. I recall reading that wizards are able to learn spells from divine scrolls too. It was a bug that retained as a feature. Does that still exist?

I'm assuming Larian is doing this because the game only goes up to lev12 (?), so a lot of builds won't be as OP as some players may want them to be otherwise.

Sherry

Arcane
Anyone else posted this?

Hi.

QJekATV.jpg

BUT THEY HAVE NO NIGHT CYCLE!!!! :oops:

Thanks,
Sherry

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone else posted this?

I'm watching it now. Glad to hear they reword Wyll. He's awful.

But I'll still probably kill him off if he's a good or neutral warlock. 5E idiocy.

lmao. I just noticed they put a Vitiligo slider in the character creation. Woke points +1. And a genitalia setting? I hate the current year so much.

I watched someone stream BG 1 on Twitch today. It was their first time playing and I'm sure 90% of the people in chat were seeing it for the first time as well. A lot of the comments in chat were along the lines of "Is this the bear fucking game?", "When are you gonna fuck the bear?" and other bear-related jokes. This is what the BG series will be known for from now on. Thanks, Larian :salute:

EDIT: The collection obviously includes Baldur's Gate 3. ^^

kkffdJz.png

Last edited:
I just crossed an italian preview/interview with the game designer where this absolute fool brags about their bold idea of removing any stat requirement for multiclassing.
If this was bad in itself, what followed was the dimwit bragging about how they "reworked the assignment of spells and spell slots" to not make these poor multiclassing underdogs lag behind the privileged single-class players that were unlocking high level spells faster.

I'm starting to thin these people couldn't design a competent subsystem (or even just a decent homebrew rule) even if their entire lives depended on it.

Last edited:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Was thinking about pre-ordering the Collector's Edition for PC on Larian's site. Only to find out that it is now out of stock.

It was still in stock before the Panel from Hell showcase. Probably just a coincidence...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I just crossed an italian preview/interview with the game designer where this absolute fool brags about their bold idea of removing any stat requirement for multiclassing.
If this was bad in itself, what followed was the dimwit bragging about how they "reworked the assignment of spells and spell slots" to not make these poor multiclassing underdogs lag behind the privileged single-class players that were unlocking high level spells faster.

I'm starting to thin these people couldn't design a competent subsystem (or even just a decent homebrew rule) even if their entire lives depended on it.
Mods will fix most of the rules and limitations. It isn't as if BG1&2 didn't have big modding communities fixing the games for years.

As an initial release, the game looks to be in good shape.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
:updatedmytxt:

"Make note of a lack of bear sex options in upcoming game so no one gets confused."

"Don't want to be seen as degenerate as Larian."

Late Bloomer

Scholar
To me each and any of these points would be much more worth cutting Larian devs' throats (in-game) rather than an optional joke scene.

Quit making excuses for the promotion and attempt at normalization of zoophilia. Most likely you are making excuses for yourself to enjoy the degeneracy.

Edit. You actually made an account to defend this. Disgusting.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Any link, per favore?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Any link, per favore?

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/baldurs-gate-3-intervistata-lead-system-designer-larian.html

I linked few quotes from this (previous page)

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Any link, per favore?

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/baldurs-gate-3-intervistata-lead-system-designer-larian.html

I linked few quotes from this (previous page)

Grazie :)

Any update about Daisy? On Larian Forum I encountered information that she might be reworked or this "different-less-fun-Daisy" is for Dark Urge? Now I cannot found this, maybe Larian has removed posts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom