Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

copebot

Learned
how is playing rogue in bg3? Anyone care to compare to dos2?

I think the bullshit hiding in combat was more or less the most fun thing about BG3 EA for me. In P&P it generally would not be so easy to get back into stealth just because there are far fewer objects on most game boards. The assumption is that the map will look like graph paper, although you could certainly use fancy 3D terrain. But BG3 always uses fancy 3D terrain with tons of things to interrupt line of sight.

I enjoyed most of the stuff that was NOT dialogue, the overworld map (felt exactly like D:OS "this is a computer game map outlined by a hyperactive child), the insipid companions, and the overall plot.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have just one question: How much dicerolls will the game utilize?

I remember an old picture where a die was on the screen after an attempt, but I can’t remember for sure nor do I know if such a festure still exists.

Elthosian

Arcane
I think the Origin concept which Larian invented with D:OS 2 and continued with here is very ambitious and probably doesn't get enough respect. Multiple simultaneous semi-fixed protagonists that can seamlessly function both as PCs and NPCs, implemented in a game that already supports all sorts of reactivity even as a blank slate character.
Their coop implementation is also the best in a narrative driven game. Look at Neverwinter Nights 2, where NPCs don't even remember who spoke with them last time. Whoever is speaking is "The Protagonist".
Co-op was their motivation for doing it. An unlikely example of design for multiplayer actually improving the single player experience. Not many people will actually play like Swen and take an NPC into the wilderness on their own to do stuff as if they were the main PC, but it's cool that you can do it!
For how polished the co-op experience is, it's wild that the party-based dialogue system is still so awful (or inexistent). People complained a lot during EA and it was one of the things they ignored the most consistently. Personally, I won't bother with co-op until some mod fixes, which is not guaranteed to happen seeing how there is no such mod for DOS2 :/

Elthosian

Arcane

I remember an old picture where a die was on the screen after an attempt, but I can’t remember for sure nor do I know if such a festure still exists.

I tried the latest EA version for like 30 minutes but there are visual dice rolls for every skill check in conversations (which is why people are surprised about journos liking it, it's VERY in your face) and most other random elements (damage, etc) have the probabilities calculated as dice rolls too.

Kiste

Augur

If EA is anything to go by, there will be a massive shitload of die rolls. For fucking everything.

copebot

Learned

From the EA, most dialogues have at least one skill or stat check. Most of the time, it does not matter except for flavor. You get different dialogue if you pass or fail the check. It's often integral to resolving quests one way or another way. It's not unlike the nu Fallouts in this way, but what makes it different from how New Vegas/FO4 did it is that it rolls a check every time. It tells you what the DC, your modifiers, and rolls it for you.

My criticism of it is a little similar to the issue of how this works in every other game with a system like this. Your "reward" is always just not having combat, and combat is the only part of the game that is actually a game. This is unlike how it works in tabletop in which your skills can open up novel resolutions to issues that combat cannot really impact. In games like this it's just "you listen to some audio files while animations play instead of getting to play the game if you 'succeed' the check." In almost every choice in which I could pick violence instead of the elaborate set of dialogue to avoid violence I chose the former.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I just want fun combat and exploration

This is really the essence. Give me quality gameplay

But today you get minigames, system bloat if you are lucky. If you are not lucky, you get other people's sick sexual fantasies pushed on you

Watch out, if you play it more than 45 minutes, your brain chemistry gets uprooted and YOU WILL LOOK FOR BEARS TO FUCK!

you really dont know whats going on here do you

they are normalising degeneracy bit by bit

first the gays, then trans, then bestiality, next will be pedophillia (its already being called "minors attracted persons" to sugar coat it)

its social programming to train you to accept these things

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
This is your god now codex

afbeelding.png

Kiste

Augur

first the gays, then trans, then bestiality, next will be pedophillia (its already being called "minors attracted persons" to sugar coat it)

Yes, I do understand what's going on here.

You're raging against your subconscious bearfucker self.

Just accept what you are. Here, this is for you:
2015_01_27_15_44_56z0e2t.jpg

webaufnahme_14-7-202sady4.jpeg

webaufnahme_14-7-202gqdab.jpeg

Try not to masturbate too furiously.

BruceVC

Magister
btw Roguey when will you do your conclusion on bg3's commercial success/failure

a true codex autist will not trust anyone but you to carry out this essential task and pronounce your judgment
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=768581
There is no official disclosure on the amount of money that has been budgeted by Larian to develop and produce BG3.

Based on my understanding (and assumptions) from what i have seen previously with other games i think that BG3 would have a $100 mil + budget easily.

It is public knowledge that Larian have (they have confirmed this) over 300 staff working across 6 international studios.

Say if we only say 4 years of development 300 staff on say an average of $70,000 per year is $21,000,000 and times by four this is $84,000,000. Then you have other development costs plus after release care of the game will easily add up to 100 mil +.

At this point it's been six years, so it'd be closer to a $130 million production budget. Steamdb estimates sales are already 1-3 million so after Valve's cut they've recouped anywhere from 48-144 million already. As for marketing budget, who knows? It doesn't seem like they've spent 100 million on marketing.
Best selling western rpg is Skyrim with 30 million plus sales, it cost 85 million to make, 15 million to market.

It's interesting how many western RPGs have managed to push beyond 20 million sales. All of them very action and accessibility focused.

Borderlands 2 with 22 million.

Diablo 3 with 30 million

Witcher 3 with 30 million.

BG3 is an entirely different beast in terms of mass market appeal, but then again, it seems to have captured the zeitgeist, if briefly (before Starfield hits).

I think that if it manages 10 million sales, it will be beyond Larians wildest dreams.
You have raised an interesting question and thats " how many copies will BG3 sell " ?

I see D:OS2 sold 2 million from this link

https://videogamesstats.com/divinity-original-sin-2-facts/

So lets guess, considering the popularity of BG3 I will say between 9-10 million?

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

a true codex autist will not trust anyone but you to carry out this essential task and pronounce your judgment
There is no official disclosure on the amount of money that has been budgeted by Larian to develop and produce BG3.

Based on my understanding (and assumptions) from what i have seen previously with other games i think that BG3 would have a $100 mil + budget easily.

It is public knowledge that Larian have (they have confirmed this) over 300 staff working across 6 international studios.

Say if we only say 4 years of development 300 staff on say an average of $70,000 per year is $21,000,000 and times by four this is $84,000,000. Then you have other development costs plus after release care of the game will easily add up to 100 mil +.

At this point it's been six years, so it'd be closer to a $130 million production budget. Steamdb estimates sales are already 1-3 million so after Valve's cut they've recouped anywhere from 48-144 million already. As for marketing budget, who knows? It doesn't seem like they've spent 100 million on marketing.
Best selling western rpg is Skyrim with 30 million plus sales, it cost 85 million to make, 15 million to market.

It's interesting how many western RPGs have managed to push beyond 20 million sales. All of them very action and accessibility focused.

Diablo 3 with 30 million

BG3 is an entirely different beast in terms of mass market appeal, but then again, it seems to have captured the zeitgeist, if briefly (before Starfield hits).

I think that if it manages 10 million sales, it will be beyond Larians wildest dreams.
You have raised an interesting question and thats " how many copies will BG3 sell " ?

So lets guess, considering the popularity of BG3 I will say between 9-10 million?
Lol it will sell that ATLEAST. Was already confirmed BG3 had more than 5x early access sales of DOS2. Lifetime sales of BG3 will probably be 15-20 million.

Larian is part of the big boys now and still an indie.

Elthosian

Arcane

Diablo 3 with 30 million

No way it sold only 2. Most estimates put it around 2.5 and that’s not counting GOG and the console versions. Swen said in the Eurogamer interview that it was around 3 times what DOS sold so yeah, maybe 3 to 5 total.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Yes, I do understand what's going on here.

You're raging against your subconscious bearfucker self.

Just accept what you are. Here, this is for you:
2015_01_27_15_44_56z0e2t.jpg

webaufnahme_14-7-202sady4.jpeg

webaufnahme_14-7-202gqdab.jpeg

Try not to masturbate too furiously.

mate you have a dick for avatar

you are also a regular in the hentai thread

kill yourself mentally ill cretin

This was done in response of your other account posting how it won't sell, it will be forgotten, it will fail.
In 10 years nobody will give a damn about BG3. It will be remembered as Dragon Age was remembered. A faggy rendition of a classic era of RPG's that sold itself out for profits. Shitty cutscenes and dialogue and everything. Either these Larian fags have forgotten, or they actually liked that shit. Probably the later.

Can anyone here point out anything that BG3 does that Dragon Age didn't already do? Besides turn based combat. Take your time.
protip, nobody gives a shit about classic games period. people who do are in the <1%. quite delusional crying, honestly.

I just want fun combat and exploration

This is really the essence. Give me quality gameplay

But today you get minigames, system bloat if you are lucky. If you are not lucky, you get other people's sick sexual fantasies pushed on you

Watch out, if you play it more than 45 minutes, your brain chemistry gets uprooted and YOU WILL LOOK FOR BEARS TO FUCK!

its social programming to train you to accept these things
Why do you suggest that humans have no inherent nature and therefore can be molded any which way by social conditioning? That is the same reasoning used by the degenerates to excuse their lack of behavioral standards.

We know the common man isn't swayed by this sort of indoctrination both from the high performance of properties like the Sound of Freedom in the market and from the abject failure of conversion therapy. Human beings have an inherent nature that comes from their genes, and that nature includes both a moral sense and sexuality. It doesn't matter how much people bitch and moan in media and classrooms, for better or worse people will still grow up to be humans.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
protip, nobody gives a shit about classic games period

people are still playing and modding 20 year old classics. Heroes 3, Morrowind, NwN, Diablo II, Doom, Quake, etc. These are huge long lasting communities

and what happened to Cyberpunk? Outer Worlds? Witcher? Mass Effect Andromeda? Dragon Age? Pillars? Forgoten in 6-12 months

dumbass

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom