Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I always wondered why they included that option in DOS2, it always sounded retarded to me, I never had an urge to try playing as an origin character, all the specific content they created for them felt just like wasted effort coz I would never see it.
Not to mention that if a certain origin would suit your PC, then the companion who already has that origin would probably suit your party too. So by picking it for the PC instead, you end up having one less suitable companion to pick for your party as well.
All tho in bg3 this is mitigated by the fact you have hirelings so you can fill that gap.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

All these features and still I can't edit the black warlock to be a white male.

:killit:

Anyway, mods will fix it.
Wyll was rewritten from scratch while his appearance may be the same. I believe that we will see another will.

Is said to be a monster hunter in the final game that was ready to make a pact in order to gain power.

Would be cool to have a sort of "Blade" companion.

there is already a mod for this, i've seen the ingame screenshot. but he is still a shitty holier than thou type character, and he still has the nigga bone structure. just ice the fool and be done with him :betrayed:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

there is already a mod for this, i've seen the ingame screenshot. but he is still a shitty holier than thou type character, and he still has the nigga bone structure. just ice the fool and be done with him :betrayed:
Like i said has been rewritten. They gave hints about it.

Incendax

Augur
If you pick Shadowheart, you PLAY Shadowheart. There is no Shadowheart companion to recruit because YOU are Shadowheart.

It's the same as DOS:2 if you played an origin character in that.

I always wondered why they included that option in DOS2, it always sounded retarded to me, I never had an urge to try playing as an origin character, all the specific content they created for them felt just like wasted effort coz I would never see it.
It's like if someone played original BG and thought "wow, I sure would like to play as a cuck Khalid, instead of creating my own PC!" - Like, seriously, who the fuck wants that?

But I guess the option must've been popular in DOS2, since they went with this again.
Me. I wanted it. But that's because I'm a content whore and origin characters had more content, full stop, compared to custom characters.

Of course quality varied. Fane and Lohse were excellent, while Ifan and Beast were a waste of fucking time. Really, who makes a dwarf pirate then puts almost no pirate in their whole playthrough?

Vatnik Wumao
Not to mention that if a certain origin would suit your PC, then the companion who already has that origin would probably suit your party too. So by picking it for the PC instead, you end up having one less suitable companion to pick for your party as well.
All tho in bg3 this is mitigated by the fact you have hirelings so you can fill that gap.
Mechanically, sure. Mercs can mitigate the gameplay issue and can often serve as an outright improvement over predefined companions if you only care bout the combat experience and want to minmax your party build.

Although this particular Larian oddity shouldn't be too much of an issue for the storyfags (t.) either given the limited party size. There are enough companions to pick from with or without an origin for your PC.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Mechanically, sure. Mercs can mitigate the gameplay issue and can often serve as an outright improvement over predefined companions if you only care bout the combat experience and want to minmax your party build.

Although this particular Larian oddity shouldn't be too much of an issue for the storyfags (t.) either given the limited party size. There are enough companions to pick from with or without an origin for your PC.
Party size up to four is what the fifth edition is tailored for.

Shaki

Arbiter
Me. I wanted it. But that's because I'm a content whore and origin characters had more content, full stop, compared to custom characters.

Of course quality varied. Fane and Lohse were excellent, while Ifan and Beast were a waste of fucking time. Really, who makes a dwarf pirate then puts almost no pirate in their whole playthrough?

Yeah, but that's like my whole point, why make all this content for different premade PCs, when you could instead make more content for custom PC?

Once you got a choice between custom character with less content or premade character with more content, I understand why people might want to go for premade one, even if it's not the choice I'd personally make, but what's the thought process to even get to this point?

Imagine older Baldurs Gate games, do you think it would be good idea to, for example, cut like 5 big quests from them and instead make more content for specific companions, that you can have access to only if you play as them? Like, let's cut the Firkraag questline from BG2, but instead you can play as Jaheira, get some different dialogue options, and her companion quest is bigger? I don't think it's a good trade.

Incendax

Augur
It's worth noting you can utterly respec your companions even if it makes no sense. Their story and dialog stays the same, but you can turn Gale into an 8 Int Berserker Barbarian.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

It's worth noting you can utterly respec your companions even if it makes no sense. Their story and dialog stays the same, but you can turn Gale into an 8 Int Berserker Barbarian.
True.
Even tho i never cared for such an option to start with some do.

Incendax

Augur
True.
It's a bit weird, but modders were going to do it anyway. Like how many people raged at Kingmaker and Wrath for having pre-determined (and shitty) builds. Larian just skipped the crap.

I honestly thought they were going to force 1 level to be locked in stone so the stories made sense, but nope. Total freedom.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

True.
It's a bit weird, but modders were going to do it anyway. Like how many people raged at Kingmaker and Wrath for having pre-determined (and shitty) builds. Larian just skipped the crap.

I honestly thought they were going to force 1 level to be locked in stone so the stories made sense, but nope. Total freedom.
Well it is a feature you can decide to don't use

Incendax

Augur

Well it is a feature you can decide to don't use
Definitely. But I'm gonna use it and turn my Astarion into a Bard. I don't think that breaks his story.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Interestingly,the original, "this is just a wargame evolved" rulesets were better at addressing this than either the modern editions or Sawyer's retarded ideas.

In 1e and 2e you were supposed to have mediocre stats be the "norm", the game was not supposed to be balanced around 18s, and even if you thought your fighter sucked ass physically because he was charismatic... fighters get hirelings & entire kingdoms as you level up, so you could quite easily roleplay a popular but not amazing fighter who gets by as a leader rather than a wet works operative.

It's amusing to me that the games that were most closest to the number-crunching origin are the ones that are best focused on the actual roleplay part of the medium. Goddamn does this reality make me hate Sawyer even more. It comes back to the eternal conundrum: is he as fucking stupid as he appears, or is he just pretending?
In original D&D and the later non-advanced D&D versions, characters were supposed to roll attributes using 3d6 in order. However, this ended with AD&D 1st edition, which introduced four new options for rolling attributes, while discarding the 3d6 in order method, and a fifth option was added in the 1985 Unearthed Arcana rulebook. AD&D 2nd edition had six options, including 3d6 in order.

The AD&D 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide had four options for rolling ability scores (Method I was probably the most popular by far), and a fifth was added by Unearthed Arcana:
  1. 4d6 6 times, drop the lowest die from each result, arrange the six scores as desired
  2. 3d6 12 times, keep the higher 6 scores, arrange the six scores as desired
  3. 3d6 6 times for each ability in order, keep the highest score for each ability
  4. 3d6 in order for 12 characters, keep whichever set of scores the player prefers
  5. Unearthed Arcana's method, in which class was selected first, following which players would take the best three rolls from a number of dice ranging from 9d6 to 3d6, as specified in a table for that class and each ability (comeliness was introduced as a seventh ability; each class had one ability assigned to each possible number of dice, from 3d6 through 9d6, with the abilities more important for that class receiving a larger number of dice)
The AD&D 2nd edition Player's Handbook had six options for rolling ability scores (Method I is the original D&D method, Method V is AD&D 1st edition's Method I, and Method IV is AD&D 1st edition's Method 2):
  1. 3d6 for each ability in order
  2. 3d6 twice for each ability in order, keep the higher score for each ability
  3. 3d6 6 times, arrange the six scores as desired
  4. 3d6 12 times, keep the higher 6 scores, arrange the six scores as desired
  5. 4d6 6 times, drop the lowest die from each result, arrange the six scores as desired
  6. Roll d6 7 times, add these rolls to a base 8 for each ability score, but each roll must be applied entirely to one ability and no ability can exceed 18
3d6: Mean 10.5, deviation 2.96
4d6, drop lowest die: Mean 12.24, deviation 2.85
3d6 six times for each ability, take highest score: Mean 14.23, deviation 1.77
3d6 twice for each ability, take higher score: Mean 12.18, deviation 2.44
Unearthed Arcana: Mean 13.8, but this varies from 10.5 for the attribute assigned 3d6 to 15.8 for the attribute assigned 9d6

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So now nearing the release, what's the thought of having story elements narrated? I personally dislike it. It makes me feel disconnected from the game. Especially since everything is already visually established and animated. It just comes off as unnecessary to me.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
In theory I'm fine with the narration, but I'm a little worried that the more text there is the more likely it is that some of Larian's weak points when it comes to writing serious dialogue will be exposed (the 'Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood' bit for DU in the last Panel from Hell comes to mind). They're good at the goofy, fun or ironic stuff but I'm not convinced they're great at maintaining a dark atmosphere writingwise.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
So long as it's not the *one sentence* [continue], *one sentence* [continue] nonsense from DOS2, it's no big deal.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The narrator is awful. Now, if she had big tits and was sexay then maybe.

As for 'origin characters'. Vast majority of people won't do their first playthrough as them. It is dumb.

MerchantKing

Learned
LVGeTzw.jpg
Poor bastard probably knew Jaheira wouldn't resurrect him.

j6wMBVB.jpg

Reminder that this, and 100 gold, is what it would have taken for Jaheira to resurrect Khalid.
But if Khalid is alive, how can she have an account on all those lonely old lady sex sites?
FxkVIz1.jpg

Acording to Swen, Jaheira has children (they probably was born after BG 2 story).

Cyberpunk reviews really separated the honest reviewers from the shills for me. Previously I just assumed they had bad taste, but after the 2077 debacle I knew they were just bought and paid for.

It was really funny watching them try to back peddle once the game was released.

The game will succeed with or without codex's seal of approval. What we are seeing here is just yet another episode of pre-release drama and the usual sperging points.

And how you evaluating my content?

Didn't I once call you one of my favorite shitposters? I dunno, it's hard to keep track of alts.

:smug:

I'm not an alt, so you called that different person. But thank you :happytrollboy:
Having an account name that's literally "the sex life" while on the same website as certain other users does seem like someone would make an alt for though. That being said, you're probably a Kruno alt like many of the posters here.

jf8350143

Liturgist
the whole original character system is pretty retarded.

Even if you don't play as them, you can still control them and you get to decide what they say and how they act as long as you keep controlling them and start conversation with them. They can be as evil as they want but once you click on them, you can make them be nice to everyone.

It pretty much destory the whole companions have their own agenda thing.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Even if you don't play as them, you can still control them and you get to decide what they say and how they act as long as you keep controlling them and start conversation with them. They can be as evil as they want but once you click on them, you can make them be nice to everyone.

It's funny how few people seem to remember that you could talk to NPCs in BG1&2 using party members. It just wasn't a very well-developed feature.

The little lips icon on whichever character's avatar showed who was speaking at a given moment.

Zeriel

Arcane

It's funny how few people seem to remember that you could talk to NPCs in BG1&2 using party members. It just wasn't a very well-developed feature.

The little lips icon on whichever character's avatar showed who was speaking at a given moment.

It didn't use different dialogue, and while I'm not absolutely certain on this, I'm pretty sure scripting would check PC's stats if it checked stats, so you can argue that it's just an abstraction and the companion is serving as a gopher for the PC, and the dialogue is taking place with the PC. Considering some of the dialogue is explicitly the PC speaking, I think this is a complete non-point.

In other words, not comparable at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom