Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It didn't use different dialogue,
IIRC, there were a handful that did.

Like I said though, not a well-developed feature, but a feature nonetheless.
I'm pretty sure scripting would check PC's stats if it checked stats
Citation needed on this. I remember people advising to use your CHA character for barter, for example.

I'll remind you all that BG had a multiplayer system, so it only makes sense that individual stats would be checked. If they weren't, they should have been.

There were also dialogs that defaulted to the party leader iirc.
Considering some of the dialogue is explicitly the PC speaking, I think this is a complete non-point.
I blame this on dev error. Any time that the PC speaks, it should go to the PC. Should have been relatively easy to program.

My bet is that this was a planned feature that they never really did much with and so they didn't bother cleaning up a lot of the dialogs.

There's a similar issue in the original versions of the game where dialog wouldn't pause the game a lot of the time. It just wasn't done.

Regardless, I see no harm in letting players take control of NPCs to some limited degree. KOTOR2 did it at one point. Being able to do it more often is fine.

It's not like you can completely puppet them or anything anyway. It's just an abstraction of real D&D where the cleric can be called on to talk to NPCs, for example.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, I'm pretty sure even with the old approach there wasn't any reactivity regarding race/class combination which makes sense simply because that's a too much of a number to process (55 currently I beleive) for designers writers etc. They're already taking a lot into account in pretty much every dialogue.
Let's hope there is some truth in that:
Here is "everything" from the interview according to re*dit

• 10 AM Pacific release time
  • Whole new download for release / "basically" full reinstall
  • [*](Shadowheart) Evil shadowheart, He mentioned he was doing a full on evil playthrough with Lae'zel, Minthara and Shart,playing as durge, so you'll probably be able to take her really dark
    [*]
  • (possible ending ?)Swen became new ruler of the forggoten realms ? Insane if real, might have been a joke not sure xd
  • Race/class choice leading to REALLY different runs (Swen example: Gith Druid)

Wyll was rewritten from scratch while his appearance may be the same.
Lol, imagine Larian casually changing his "appearance" to appear as something other than African American. How probable is that? BLM activists would sail the Atlantic on canoes provided by Trudeau personally to burn Larian's HQ to the ground.

Vast majority of people won't do their first playthrough as them. It is dumb.
No. It is dumb, hence most people will do exactly that.

When's the last time you were able to hear someone's tits where it wasn't because they were flapping against their stomach and/or other nearby surfaces like tables and chairs?
If you know how to pinch them right, they can induce sound...

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Lol, imagine Larian casually changing his "appearance" to appear as something other than African American. How probable is that? BLM activists would sail the Atlantic on canoes provided by Trudeau personally to burn Larian's HQ to the ground.
He's on all the marketing materials, that's why he won't be changed. Any other reason may be important or not, but this is factually the reason he won't be changed.

LizardWizard

Prophet
He's on all the marketing materials, that's why he won't be changed. Any other reason may be important or not, but this is factually the reason he won't be changed.
NuWyll's appearance actually changes (grows horns) depending on his quest now.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
No. It is dumb, hence most people will do exactly that.
This, but for multiclassing 1 level in every class.

I like the origin character idea, but I plan to only play it after the first run. Unless maybe I get bored and want to play The Dark Urge on the side to kill characters I don't like.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
NuWyll's appearance actually changes (grows horns) depending on his quest now.
That's fine (and cool). Obviously I meant that they have his face, as a blaxx man, on billboards, website adverts, the box, trailers, etc. They can't decide he won't be black anymore, as AwesoemButton suggested, and its not because of BLM. Its because of branding.

jackofshadows

Magister
I always wondered why they included that option in DOS2, it always sounded retarded to me, I never had an urge to try playing as an origin character, all the specific content they created for them felt just like wasted effort coz I would never see it.
It's like if someone played original BG and thought "wow, I sure would like to play as a cuck Khalid, instead of creating my own PC!" - Like, seriously, who the fuck wants that?
Imagine playing as Korgan in BG2 instead for example. Or Fallout/Arcanum pre-made characters would have bits of additional content.

This feature as I understand was born after DOS1 co-op people's serveys/experience. Guess normies don't tend to create their characters as seasoned RPG enthusiasts.

It's not a worthless idea but I understand how people might be mad for auto-missing content when choosing a custom character. In this game however they'll be missing a massive amount of content either way.

Kiste

Augur
Only ten more days until the bearfucking, cloaca pounding and all
sorts of delicious homosex degeneracy can officially commence!

It's finally happening, boys!

alexjonesiee8f.gif

polishlrfxo.gif

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
I realised now that BG3 has full companion respec, we finally have proof that Owlcat's design is already causing irreperable dame to the CRPG genre.

Readher

Savant
Yeah, respec sucks. I, too, love having to have a faggot nigger in my party just because he has the class I need, instead of someone I actually want.

No one is forcing you to use respec btw. I suggest seeing a doctor about your OCD treatment immediately.

Readher

Savant
MORE OPTIONS IS LE BAD!
full party creation offers unlimited options. we don't need your uggos, swen.
Yeah, I love playing cRPGs with a full party of blank state JRPG protagonists.
I, too, love having to have a faggot nigger in my party just because he has the class I need
be honest with yourself - you just want a faggot nigger in your party.
Well, of course. Wyll is a fag only if you try to fuck him as male character, which means Readher already put together a plan to ride his dick.
I was thinking about DA: Shitquisition and Dorian, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom