Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Another comparison between this and original trilogy:

There was all this gravitas in the original trilogy about being the literal spawn of the god of murder, but no real hard choices or limitations - you could easily be goody two shoes paladin or righteous cleric of helm. Aside from that one time you automatically turned into the slayer you were never limited by your very dark origin.

Isn't Dark Urge the way the original CHARNAME should have been? A natural-born murderhobo who could struggle to be good against all odds?

ITT, people playing the EA since the beginning have found clear indication that Tav should be by default the Dark Urge, but that was eventually cut. Several scenes and narrator lines which were progressively edited during EA had the tav having the "blood, blood, blood" moments. I guess they really had this in for a connection with the original game very early.

tav-urge.jpg
The mechanic of Dark Urge’s origin will force you to do bad things if you try to be goody-two-shoes multiple times in a row- it forces an intimidation check and if you fail it, bad things happen without your say in it.

It’s probably would be quite unappealing and annoying for anyone who didn’t willingly decided to pick it, so making it into a separate thing was smart.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

How is dnd5e holding up in crpg? Seems like a bad fit, boring and limited, did they change anything?
5th is vastly better than the 4th has a nice dynamism to it the gameplay is very neat. Is just that in term of rule system Pathfinder 2e is vastly better.
DnD 5th edition is not at all a bad system. Is just i miss the third edition.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

There was all this gravitas in the original trilogy about being the literal spawn of the god of murder, but no real hard choices or limitations - you could easily be goody two shoes paladin or righteous cleric of helm. Aside from that one time you automatically turned into the slayer you were never limited by your very dark origin.

Isn't Dark Urge the way the original CHARNAME should have been? A natural-born murderhobo who could struggle to be good against all odds?

ITT, people playing the EA since the beginning have found clear indication that Tav should be by default the Dark Urge, but that was eventually cut. Several scenes and narrator lines which were progressively edited during EA had the tav having the "blood, blood, blood" moments. I guess they really had this in for a connection with the original game very early.

tav-urge.jpg
The mechanic of Dark Urge’s origin will force you to do bad things if you try to be goody-two-shoes multiple times in a row- it forces an intimidation check and if you fail it, bad things happen without your say in it.

It’s probably would be quite unappealing and annoying for anyone who didn’t willingly decided to pick it, so making it into a separate thing was smart.
It is a decent compromise between including a semi-unique campaign and not forcing a mechanic on new or more casual players. MotB was neat, but I could see the curse mechanic pissing off certain people and dissuading them from playing it further.

apostrophe

Novice
How is dnd5e holding up in crpg? Seems like a bad fit, boring and limited, did they change anything?
5th is vastly better than the 4th has a nice dynamism to it the gameplay is very neat. Is just that in term of rule system Pathfinder 2e is vastly better.
I am mostly concerned about character options and leveling, I haven't played 5e in ages but I remember it as really limited, did they change anything, did 5e got some options in recent years? Also, items were bland and boring, any changes there?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I am mostly concerned about character options and leveling, I haven't played 5e in ages but I remember it as really limited, did they change anything, did 5e got some options in recent years? Also, items were bland and boring, any changes there?
Classes have subclasses just at level one in this is way more dynamic than the past editions. Example paladins have different oaths doing different things. Level up is not very different from the third edition but each tot level you can decide if you want more points on your stats and you want an extra feat.

As for itemizations in Bg3 the last EA branch had lot of changes magic items different than +1 were rare but you had powerfull items scattered around. Tho they are not jist handled to you got to explore for that.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Here's item info from someone on reddit, copied below if you don't want to visit the site

Notes:
ACT 2 has a huge number of more epic and powerful items.
Vendors start stocking tons of items, with multiple variants of different item slots.
All clothing items have armor proficiency. (we knew that really)
More weapon abilities and even unique ones as you get further into the game.
Weapons tied to Race/ Weapon abilities tied to Race
9 Legendary Items in Bg3 - they are extremely powerful (obv) - they are very well hidden.

Items mentioned and confirmed to be in game.
Gloves of the Growling Underdog - Advantage on melee attack rolls when surrounded by two or more foes.
Warped Headband of Intellect - sets Int to 17 - It's in the same place.
Gloves of Dexterity - Sets your dexterity to 18 (Act 2)
Vital Conduit Boots - When wearer casts a spell that uses concentration they gain 8 temp hit points.
Graceful Clothes - 10 AC + 2 dex up to max of 20.
Unknown chest Item - 10 AC + 2 Strength up to a max of 20
Deathstalker Mantle - Gain Expertise in stealth checks. You gain the ability to turn Invisible for 2 turns if you kill someone.

Vatnik Wumao

tav-urge.jpg

I wonder if that still applies if you go for an evil PC (+/- chaotic if the urge forces you into doing stupid evil stuff). At that point it'd be just extra narrative content for your PC just as with any other origin, no?

And speaking of origins and Swen's recc of not 'spoiling' them by assigning them to your PC on a first playthrough, how do companions with preset origins work if you pick their respective origins for your PC instead? Does it just remove the origin content for the companion and gives it to the PC (presumably downgrading the companion in the process by removing their personal side quests or what have you)?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

tav-urge.jpg

I wonder if that still applies if you go for an evil PC (+/- chaotic if the urge forces you into doing stupid evil stuff). At that point it'd be just extra narrative content for your PC just as with any other origin, no?

And speaking of origins and Swen's recc of not 'spoiling' them by assigning them to your PC on a first playthrough, how do companions with preset origins work if you pick their respective origins for your PC instead? Does it just remove the origin content for the companion and gives it to the PC (presumably downgrading the companion in the process by removing their personal side quests or what have you)?
Mh according with the explanation it dosnt you still get the compabion quest however when you play an origin character such quests get richer with the companion you chose to play point of view.

They gave the exanple of shadowheart if you play as her you have pay attention when to reveal you are a sharite depending is said companion likes you or not you could get an harder reaction.

Incendax

Augur
Elminster was turned in to a woman by mystra for some times as mystra wanted to teach him things only females can understand about magic.

Sune stole Sharess by Shar graps kept her as a lover. I can do a dozen of examples.
Sune also concealed herself in a male form when Gods walked on Toril taking the mortal form of an human called Adonis.
Ed Greenwood is a legit free love hippie. Even his wife affectionately referred to him as a pervert. There are many canon examples of orgies in the Realms, especially Silverymoon and Alustriel herself who was almost constantly pregnant. Ed loved the old 70s version of powerful sexually liberated ladies you might find on the cover of Heavy Metal Magazine, or just straight up free love flower children.

It's basically an inside joke for old grognards at this point.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Elminster was turned in to a woman by mystra for some times as mystra wanted to teach him things only females can understand about magic.

Sune stole Sharess by Shar graps kept her as a lover. I can do a dozen of examples.
Sune also concealed herself in a male form when Gods walked on Toril taking the mortal form of an human called Adonis.
Ed Greenwood is a legit free love hippie. Even his wife affectionately referred to him as a pervert. There are many canon examples of orgies in the Realms, especially Silverymoon and Alustriel herself who was almost constantly pregnant. Ed loved the old 70s version of powerful sexually liberated ladies you might find on the cover of Heavy Metal Magazine, or just straight up free love flower children.

It's basically an inside joke for old grognards at this point.
Nice to see another person with knowledge.

Yes tho seem people have a false perception on what is or not in the DnD settings.
I believe because most just played the infinity engine games and those were done in times where videogames were considered kid stuff.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Cdpr is not Larian tho.
What the fuck does that even mean?

Oh, that's right, Larian has Pedigree, as games journalists everywhere like to keep pointing out.

It's not like Larian is just another greedy developer or anything who are trying to cash in on a known brand name while pandering to the widest audience as possible. Because they would never do that, we've seen their quirky and cute behind the scenes development videos. They are so charming and innocent, and hey look! Swen is in his armor again! Haha, he is so funny! *pre-orders collectors edition twice*

Barbarian

Arcane
Apparently in order to "resist" the dark urge you need to resist intimidation checks.

What attribute is used? Charisma? Wisdom?

Larianshill

Arbiter
It's not like Larian is just another greedy developer or anything who are trying to cash in on a known brand name while pandering to the widest audience as possible
And they're succeeding! I'm very glad about that. Are you glad about that?

Vatnik Wumao
Mh according with the explanation it dosnt you still get the compabion quest however when you play an origin character such quests get richer with the companion you chose to play point of view.

They gave the exanple of shadowheart if you play as her you have pay attention when to reveal you are a sharite depending is said companion likes you or not you could get an harder reaction.
Still not sure if I understand correctly how this works. Taking the example of Shadowheart, if I pick her origin for the PC, does that mean that I no longer get to recruit her as a companion at all or do I get to recruit her but with her origin-based content (which presumably would represent her personal quest had I not selected her origin for my PC) being removed since I'll get to experience it from the perspective of the PC instead?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Cdpr is not Larian tho.
What the fuck does that even mean?

Oh, that's right, Larian has Pedigree, as games journalists everywhere like to keep pointing out.

It's not like Larian is just another greedy developer or anything who are trying to cash in on a known brand name while pandering to the widest audience as possible. Because they would never do that, we've seen their quirky and cute behind the scenes development videos. They are so charming and innocent, and hey look! Swen is in his armor again! Haha, he is so funny! *pre-orders collectors edition twice*
Ok let me debunk this:

Bg3 is not a teen friendly game this for some big corpos is already a nono and alone means they are not pandering for the wide audience.

Bg3 is turn based also this is not pandering for a wide userbase.

Bg3 is a complex roleplay game where skills on your character matters a bad roll could make you fuck up a whole quest or make it take a different direction is every quest from sides obe to the main ones branch out on concequrnces also this is something who seek big sales is afraid to do.

Cdpr on the other hand

Turned a rpg in a fps: You know fps in terms of players have huge numbers!

Frauds the userbase with false promises. Where is the branching narrative? The nocs woth daoly routine they promises? All the cool stuff you can do in the gameplay(fake) trailers?

Deny they lied and blame the players for the disaster that was cyberpunk launch.

So yes they are completely different.

Gradenmayer

Learned

tav-urge.jpg

There are common evil acts (like kicking the rodent), but a lot of evil options will be unique to dark urge (like ripping Gale’s arm off) + it will probably have unique questline.

The origins don’t remove questchains, they get turned into personal sidequests. In fact you can get even more content than you would from a companion, because you can affect the outcome of the quest in more ways.

Also NPCs can have different dialogue for different origins. In D:OS 2 playing as Ifan for example, would allow you to skip chores for multiple quests, because a lot of NPC already know and respect you.

One even gave you a unique game ending.

Incendax

Augur

Still not sure if I understand correctly how this works. Taking the example of Shadowheart, if I pick her origin for the PC, does that mean that I no longer get to recruit her as a companion at all or do I get to recruit her but with her origin-based content (which presumably would represent her personal quest had I not selected her origin for my PC) being removed since I'll get to experience it from the perspective of the PC instead?
If you pick Shadowheart, you PLAY Shadowheart. There is no Shadowheart companion to recruit because YOU are Shadowheart.

It's the same as DOS:2 if you played an origin character in that.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

If you pick Shadowheart, you PLAY Shadowheart. There is no Shadowheart companion to recruit because YOU are Shadowheart.
You still get to do her quest but thos time is more personal.

imrazor

Literate
Bg3 is a complex roleplay game where skills on your character matters a bad roll could make you fuck up a whole quest or make it take a different direction is every quest from sides obe to the main ones branch out on concequrnces also this is something who seek big sales is afraid to do.
To expand on this a bit, I believe it has been mentioned that succeeding a skill or attribute check isn't always desirable. Failure can have interesting, even 'good,' consequences depending on your (or your character's) perspective.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally sold enough Steam cards, and game items to get this on the cheap, but I will wait and see if they also have a launch discount (doubt).

Shaki

Arbiter

It's the same as DOS:2 if you played an origin character in that.

I always wondered why they included that option in DOS2, it always sounded retarded to me, I never had an urge to try playing as an origin character, all the specific content they created for them felt just like wasted effort coz I would never see it.
It's like if someone played original BG and thought "wow, I sure would like to play as a cuck Khalid, instead of creating my own PC!" - Like, seriously, who the fuck wants that?

But I guess the option must've been popular in DOS2, since they went with this again.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Ok let me debunk this:

Bg3 is not a teen friendly game this for some big corpos is already a nono and alone means they are not pandering for the wide audience.

Cdpr on the other hand

Frauds the userbase with false promises. Where is the branching narrative? The nocs woth daoly routine they promises? All the cool stuff you can do in the gameplay(fake) trailers?

Deny they lied and blame the players for the disaster that was cyberpunk launch.

Holy SHIT you people have short memories. You've completely forgotten the pre-Cyberpunk CDPR optics and marketing.

Before their big blunder it was CDPR that was treated with Pedigree by games journalism and gamers everywhere (and it was Obsidian and TOW after that). CDPR could do no wrong in the eyes of journalists and gamers everywhere, because they made games for adults like Witcher 3, you see, and Cyberpunk was going have a monolithic amount of choices and consequences, and it was going to revolutionize RPGs. And all this without developer crunch! Is this starting to sound familiar yet?

I'm not saying BG3 is going to turn out as buggy and broken as Cyperpunk was. That isn't my point. My point is your a bunch of dumbasses who keep buying into the same fake optics and marketing time and time again, and on top of that, you defend this SHIT!

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Ok let me debunk this:

Cdpr on the other hand

Holy SHIT you people have short memories. You've completely forgotten the pre-Cyberpunk CDPR optics and marketing.

Before their big blunder it was CDPR that was treated with Pedigree by games journalism and gamers everywhere (and it was Obsidian and TOW after that). CDPR could do no wrong in the eyes of journalists and gamers everywhere, because they made games for adults like Witcher 3, you see, and Cyberpunk was going have monolithic amount of choices and consequences, and it was going to revolutionize RPG. And all this without developer crunch! Is this starting to sound familiar yet?

I'm not saying BG3 is going to turn out as buggy and broken as Cyperpunk was. That isn't my point. My point is your a bunch of dumbasses who keep buying into the same fake optics and marketing and time and time again, and on top of that, you defend this SHIT!
Well the release is close i guess we shall see :)

Vatnik Wumao
I always wondered why they included that option in DOS2, it always sounded retarded to me, I never had an urge to try playing as an origin character, all the specific content they created for them felt just like wasted effort coz I would never see it.
Not to mention that if a certain origin would suit your PC, then the companion who already has that origin would probably suit your party too. So by picking it for the PC instead, you end up having one less suitable companion to pick for your party as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom