Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And lets not forget about that DRASTIC XP penalty for next level. I still remember how I played drow wizard in NWN2 and I was wondering when I would finally get that level 2, and then I'd still need one more level to be able to cast L2 spells.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
And lets not forget about that DRASTIC XP penalty for next level. I still remember how I played drow wizard in NWN2 and I was wondering when I would finally get that level 2, and then I'd still need one more level to be able to cast L2 spells.
Someone got burned by playing a snowflake drow

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Someone got burned by playing a snowflake drow
C'mon, it's not challenge when you use easy mode.

Flying snowlake drow that flew until NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is more fun than easy dwarf fighter, or OP sorcerer.

Saravan

Savant
As I said, it would be cool if Larian actively shit on Drows during the entire game so you could enjoy the struggle if you picked it. Guaranteed however it’s going to be a fake struggle to play Drow and the game is just going to include a bunch of soapy woe is me shit so you can RP as some emo lawful good drow fag who is just misunderstood. If they actually did the former there would be so much forum crying, like anything that is actually based in game design.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
As I said, it would be cool if Larian actively shit on Drows during the entire game so you could enjoy the struggle if you picked it. Guaranteed however it’s going to be a fake struggle to play Drow and the game is just going to include a bunch of soapy woe is me shit so you can RP as some emo lawful good drow fag who is just misunderstood. If they actually did the former there would be so much forum crying, like anything that is actually based in game design.
Drizzt ruined the Drow, yeah.

Viconia was actually a pretty well-written Drow: repeatedly persecuted, but probably deserved most of it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Which reminds me. Why would drow actually try to destroy that Larian's tiefling community? They can force people around to stop being racist, accept these tieflings and completely destroy theirs society and economy. And then when drow would be successful... Then they would ask a question: "Why they did such thing to themselves?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Which reminds me. Why would drow actually try to destroy that Larian's tiefling community? They can force people around to stop being racist, accept these tieflings and completely destroy theirs society and economy. And then when drow would be successful... Then they would ask a question: "Why they did such thing to themselves?
They're looking for something they think the tieflings or the druids might have IIRC.

EvilWolf

Learned
Larian themselves know that poll is bullshit. Humans are by far the most popular in EA. I doubt it changes when full game releases.
I remember when, quite literally, EVERYONE in EA made a white male human fighter and Swen got his panties in a bunch and told people to "be original" in the first Panel From Hell.

"Who killed all those Tieflings?"

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Larian themselves know that poll is bullshit. Humans are by far the most popular in EA. I doubt it changes when full game releases.
I remember when, quite literally, EVERYONE in EA made a white male human fighter and Swen got his panties in a bunch and told people to "be original" in the first Panel From Hell.

"Who killed all those Tieflings?"
Villagers obviously. They wanted their money.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
red*it class/race poll

v7dtkevg2udb1.png

2wyj4cxe2udb1.png
Unsurprisingly, 43% of Redditors want to play a drow/dragonborn/tiefling, and only 18% want to play a fighter/magic-user/cleric/thief, lower than the 21% who want to play a nonsensical sorcerer/warlock. But we know that those playing the BG3 demo have differed greatly in their choices from Reddit's desires.

I though Paladin was supposed to be human only?
In 1970, maybe. Almost certainly this was changed before you were born.
Paladins are restricted to humans in four of the six versions of D&D/AD&D and absent in the other two (1977 Holmes Basic D&D and 1981 Moldvay/Cook B/X D&D).

Drow Paladin is about as "legal" as Drow Ranger.
They're Chaotic Evil. Lolth is Chaotic Evil. What's the ONE thing that defines Paladins? Their adherence to a fucking code, which means lawfulness.
Paladins are just religious warriors. If there are chaotic evil gods, there should be chaotic evil paladins. It was always stupid.
Gary Gygax conceived of paladins as emulating the protagonist of the Poul Anderson novel Three Hearts and Three Lions, meaning the class was associated with Lawful Good human civilization, not merely the equivalent of a fighter-cleric hybrid who could be any alignment, depending on the deity worshipped.

The notion of paladin-equivalents for alignments other than Lawful Good began with the article "The Anti-Paladin NPC" (by George Laking and Tim Mesford) in Dragon Magazine #39 (July 1980), which introduced a Chaotic Evil version to serve as an antagonist to the players. This article resulted in a terse rejoinder by Gary Gygax in a letter appearing in issue #41: "The anti-paladin is as useful as a third leg. Paladins were designed to counter balance the weight of evil monsters in AD&D. If DMs must resort to such, to control their games, why not use a 16-ton block instead? It is at least as subtle and rational." Despite Gary's displeasure, this article was included in The Best of Dragon Magazine Volume 2 collection in 1981! Moreover, the Fiend Folio, also published in 1981, included passing references to an anti-paladin class in the description of githyanki.

Moreover, paladin-equivalents soon became official in D&D with the BECMI 'Green Box' Companion Set in 1984, which not only allowed Lawful (BECMI D&D had a single-axis three alignment system) wandering fighters the option of becoming a Paladin after reaching name level, but also allowed Neutral wandering fighters the option of becoming a Knight in service to a secular liege rather than a Lawful church, while Chaotic wandering fighters were granted the option of becoming an Avenger in alliance with a Chaotic church.

An article titled "A Plethora of Paladins" by Christopher Wood in Dragon Magazine #106 (February 1986) introduced paladin equivalents for the other seven alignments (noting explicitly the earlier article on Chaotic Evil "anti-paladins").

It should be stressed that articles in Dragon Magazine were not equal to official rules, and AD&D 2nd edition maintained the LG-only alignment for paladins.

Larianshill

Arbiter
In the EA, there is literally no reason given, except "Slaughter the heathens for the glory of the Absolute". In the full release, Ketheric believes the gith artifact is in the grove and sent Mintharra to get it.

Incendax

Augur
No monk as an origin character. Has there been a game where you actually get a monk companion in the base game?
Baldurs Gate enhanced edition :M
Rasaad was probably the most boring companion, though. At least the other ones were memorably cringy, Rasaad's a nothingburger.
And in BG1, Monks were atrocious dumpster fires that contributed nothing but pulling enemies back to your chokepoint. And lots of characters could do that just as well AND actually be useful.

Shaki

Arbiter
No monk as an origin character. Has there been a game where you actually get a monk companion in the base game?
Rasaad was probably the most boring companion, though. At least the other ones were memorably cringy, Rasaad's a nothingburger.
And in BG1, Monks were atrocious dumpster fires that contributed nothing but pulling enemies back to your chokepoint. And lots of characters could do that just as well AND actually be useful.
I'm pretty sure BG1 originally didn't have monks, they were added as a class in BG2. Then beamdog added all the classes from BG2 into 1 with enhanced edition.

I'm pretty sure BG1 originally didn't have monks, they were added as a class in BG2. Then beamdog added all the classes from BG2 into 1 with enhanced edition.
That is true, but the point still stands. BG1 is too low level to do anything with a monk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom