Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Barbarian

Arcane
Also, many of the other changes they made from core 5e were sensible. But indeed one stupid choice making a single spell both mandatory and more powerful than anything else breaks it.

It's probably isn't that important because there are more combat encounters than one per rest. 3 per turn means they would run out of slots 3x faster.
I mean, given how their system works, nothing is stopping you from having even MULTIPLE long rests after every single combat encounter, if you want to abuse the system, since there's literally no risk or drawbacks involved in spamming them.

So, yeah, it's actually pretty fucking important and fairly stupid in general.
But the stupidest thing is that they were recently on video jokingly complaining about how Metamagic "literally breaks the game's balance allowing multiple fireballs per round". Something that exists only because they did it wrong.

It's the waiter shitting on your plate and then telling you "Boy, this food we are serving surely stinks".

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea, it's better to cook yourself. Then you are not forced to pay waiter for that shit.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Like mechanical differences or flavor? Flavorwise, rogues are pretty far from being ninjas since they are based on thieves.

Mechanically, monks have ki points and rogues have sneak attack and cunning action. Also, the shadow monk has a straight up teleport, while rogues just try their best to imitate Garrett from Thief.
And does the shadow monk have something resembling a sneak attack? If you multiclass with a rogue do you get the lockpicking ability or cunning action? Sorry, not familiar with this class at all.
You could also pick up expertise with thieve's tools through the criminal background if you want lockpicking.

Shaki

Arbiter
It's probably isn't that important because there are more combat encounters than one per rest. 3 per turn means they would run out of slots 3x faster.
I mean, given how their system works, nothing is stopping you from having even MULTIPLE long rests after every single combat encounter, if you want to abuse the system, since there's literally no risk or drawbacks involved in spamming them.

So, yeah, it's actually pretty fucking important and fairly stupid in general.
But the stupidest thing is that they were recently on video jokingly complaining about how Metamagic "literally breaks the game's balance allowing multiple fireballs per round". Something that exists only because they did it wrong.

It's the waiter shitting on your plate and then telling you "Boy, this food we are serving surely stinks".
For Larian it's not a bug, it's a feature, and they love it. Their philosophy was always that breaking the game is perfectly fine as long as their average player finds it "fun", and their average player is a twitter egirl who thinks teleporting 3 explosive barrels in boss' face, or teleporting the boss himself to an overpowered friendly NPC, is not cheese and doesn't trivialize the game, but instead it's a pinnacle of creativity that resulted in a well deserved and very satisfying victory - and Swen agrees wholeheartedly.

Barbarian

Arcane
combat was never going to be good in this game
compared to what, rtwp? :lol:

To be honest this might still be better than the bugfinder games, if anything because it is better developed and featured(i.e: verticality, interaction with battle scenes and objects, etc).

I'm just increasingly doubting that they can provide actual balance and challenging difficulty settings(something that owlcat actually delivered). If it is too easy most tacticool enjoyers will get bored of the combat in a matter of hours.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Is tiax coming back? Or montaron?

Isn't Monty dead? I remember that harper quest in Bg2.
There's an entry about him in Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy, he was apparently brought back by the Shadow Thieves to control Xzar who is now a demilich (a soulless chaos clone of Xzar has also been created by a Slaad so there are two Xzarish things running around). I'm not sure how canon the book is, hopefully not at all because Kivan is now married to Cernd, which seems like a fate worse than death.

Rhobar121

Scholar

There's an entry about him in Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy, he was apparently brought back by the Shadow Thieves to control Xzar who is now a demilich (a soulless chaos clone of Xzar has also been created by a Slaad so there are two Xzarish things running around). I'm not sure how canon the book is, hopefully not at all because Kivan is now married to Cernd, which seems like a fate worse than death.
It's not canon.

Reinhardt

Arcane
A reminder that samurai is literally a fighter subclass in 5e.

You have to admit there's something extremely funny about a European-styled knight practicing unsheathing attacks with longsword.

Even more hilarious, they'll look like this dude but be from Waterdeep or some shit. I wish they had unsheathing attacks. That would actually be an interesting mechanic.

View attachment 39219

Welcome to Fighter, the lamest martial class.

What you think fighter is like: being a heroic manly man, the rock of the party, arguably most iconic class of the game

What fighter actually is: lame features, poor combat ability, poor utility, fails at being meatshield

Just go Barbarian or Paladin instead.
Ah, Fighter. The class you never pick because the very first companion you get will be that class anyways.
poe is not the only rpg game in the world.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Well shit Tyranicon is actually right, playtesters claim the release version has haste as providing a full action - i.e: fighters double their attacks, casters can cast 2 spells per round, etc.

The hope is that they will fix it due to negative feedback. Or alternatively this will be balanced by the ai also using it. Why buff what was already a good spell anyway?

Really makes haste the most powerful spell in the game by a mile.

Wait. Two spells as in a regular spell and a cantrip, or two full spells?

Lol at the ability for sorcerers to twin two separate hastes on their turn.

My god. I can only get so erect.

It also becomes trivial because of potions of speed(which last less rounds, but give the same extra full action and don't take concentration checks).

Really bizarre. I suppose enemies will use it as well so it will balance it out in kind... or not. Initiative will be really big. Casters double fireballing for instance will be a thing, and hardly any character can survive being boinked 9 times per round by every fighter - imagine higher level mobs.
Sorcerer can drop 3 fireballs in a row with a haste potion and helmet that gives bonus action for using fire spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Now that aaa devs are jelly of divinity3 and say you shouldt expect aaa games from aaaaaa billion studiouses I am confused how to feel about divinity3 lol
Probably still not playing it but also not hating on it while not playing it

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Not as long as we remember him.
1690353224239.png

Darth Valer

Literate
I'm just increasingly doubting that they can provide actual balance and challenging difficulty settings(something that owlcat actually delivered). If it is too easy most tacticool enjoyers will get bored of the combat in a matter of hours.
Given what I've seen in EA and Larian's track record in terms of design decisions I fully expect the actual game to suck ass in terms of balance and enjoyability, but I'm also at peace to some extent because most (not all) of the problems will be solvable by mods. One I've already used multiple times in EA is "DnD Rebalancing Mod".

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Owlcat balance is fucking garbage and any DM that designed encounters like they do would get the shit beat out of him IRL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom