Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So what's the difference between a rogue and a shadow monk for stealth related stuff since the shadow monk (...shmonk? is described as a ninja. Wtf is the rogue then?)? Asking the experts.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So what's the difference between a rogue and a shadow monk for stealth related stuff since the shadow monk (...shmonk? is described as a ninja. Wtf is the rogue then?)? Asking the experts.

Like mechanical differences or flavor? Flavorwise, rogues are pretty far from being ninjas since they are based on thieves.

Mechanically, monks have ki points and rogues have sneak attack and cunning action. Also, the shadow monk has a straight up teleport, while rogues just try their best to imitate Garrett from Thief.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine training whole life to be an assassin-rogue. You get a mark and then have to learn perfect route to your target, place fake evidence, learn guard schedule and etc. You go to do your job, but some edgy hobo martial artist who is also after your mark just teleports and explodes them with a bitchslap.
No weapons to track, no sound, no wounds and no identifiable body if necessary.

Why do rogues exist again? Ah yes, lockpicking duty and stabbing disabled people.
To endure and in enduring grow strong ….

massive amounts of cope

EvilWolf

Learned
What do we have now?
The worst parts of religion, on fast track to redo all its horrors under the guise of 'science' without any of the upsides. Detractors of religion are quick to point out its failings but usually fail to draw comparisons once the word 'scripture' is replaced with 'science'.
I will take modern cult of pseudoscience over religions of the old any day. I can disagree with or shit on someone who uses retarded arguments that don’t have any research behind them without getting hanged, burned, stoned or tortured to death as a result.

You fuckers haven’t lived in heavily religious society if you think that shit is good for human development of any kind.
The Renaissance would have never happened if not for religion. The dark ages would have lasted a lot longer if not for religion. Religion funded all of the old science everyone takes for granted today. Before you bring up Galileo: the only reason he was ostracized and told to shut up was because he published his book before he actually proved his theory.

Citation: read a fucking book.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

A reminder that samurai is literally a fighter subclass in 5e.

You have to admit there's something extremely funny about a European-styled knight practicing unsheathing attacks with longsword.

Even more hilarious, they'll look like this dude but be from Waterdeep or some shit. I wish they had unsheathing attacks. That would actually be an interesting mechanic.

View attachment 39219

Welcome to Fighter, the lamest martial class.

What you think fighter is like: being a heroic manly man, the rock of the party, arguably most iconic class of the game

What fighter actually is: lame features, poor combat ability, poor utility, fails at being meatshield

Just go Barbarian or Paladin instead.
Depends how you spec it. If you want a tanky warrior go dex instead of str.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

What you think fighter is like: being a heroic manly man, the rock of the party, arguably most iconic class of the game

What fighter actually is: lame features, poor combat ability, poor utility, fails at being meatshield

They should let them learn magic after level 11+. That would feel more right.

Incendax

Augur
The Tau are literally a reflection of the humans in their Dark Age of technology phase, they make far more sense than the random Samurai or Ninja in a middle age fantasy.
Tau are just a plot by the last surviving Old One in the galaxy to make a low psychic race that won't trigger the Enslaver Plague again. Secretly feeding them tech to advance them quickly, but still slow enough that it's presence is plausibly deniable. But it's 40k, so it's too little, too late.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What do we have now?
The worst parts of religion, on fast track to redo all its horrors under the guise of 'science' without any of the upsides. Detractors of religion are quick to point out its failings but usually fail to draw comparisons once the word 'scripture' is replaced with 'science'.
I will take modern cult of pseudoscience over religions of the old any day. I can disagree with or shit on someone who uses retarded arguments that don’t have any research behind them without getting hanged, burned, stoned or tortured to death as a result.

You fuckers haven’t lived in heavily religious society if you think that shit is good for human development of any kind.
The Renaissance would have never happened if not for religion. The dark ages would have lasted a lot longer if not for religion. Religion funded all of the old science everyone takes for granted today. Before you bring up Galileo: the only reason he was ostracized and told to shut up was because he published his book before he actually proved his theory.

Citation: read a fucking book.

There was no such thing as "the Dark Ages".

Halfling's lucky looks very good but the problem is that you need to play as a halfling :| + need to spend 1 spell slot for darkvision

k85f40v4vwdb1.jpg
Let me guess: this is from the fucking subreddit.

Incendax

Augur
Let me guess: this is from the fucking subreddit.
Yes. Astarion used to have 9 Int, and Shadowheart used to have 8 Int.
Supposedly Larian were waiting to see how smart their writers/VAs made them sound before giving them a number, but many memes were spawned because of it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
As a preparation for playing Monk class in BG3 after full release I watched "Love on Delivery". I saw two people beating the crap out of each other, and blowing few wally with punches.

https://youtu.be/v2dXBYVP7iw?t=280
lduPuee.png
This is very educational. Observe how these 18 uses chair to hit him when he's on the ground.

Voids

Augur

They should let them learn magic after level 11+. That would feel more right.
Magic is an abomination

Gradenmayer

Learned

You have to admit there's something extremely funny about a European-styled knight practicing unsheathing attacks with longsword.

Even more hilarious, they'll look like this dude but be from Waterdeep or some shit. I wish they had unsheathing attacks. That would actually be an interesting mechanic.

View attachment 39219

Ah, Fighter. The class you never pick because the very first companion you get will be that class anyways.

Saravan

Savant

View attachment 39219

Bro battlemaster is gonna fuck shit up in BG3 just watch me do 9 fucking attacks in a round with 3 attacks + haste (full round action in BG3) + PAM + action surge. Oh and additional riposte attack if target somehow survives and miss their attack on me.

Also extra based damage as white human male.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine training whole life to be an assassin-rogue. You get a mark and then have to learn perfect route to your target, place fake evidence, learn guard schedule and etc. You go to do your job, but some edgy hobo martial artist who is also after your mark just teleports and explodes them with a bitchslap.
No weapons to track, no sound, no wounds and no identifiable body if necessary.

Why do rogues exist again? Ah yes, lockpicking duty and stabbing disabled people.
To endure and in enduring grow strong ….

massive amounts of cope

Saravan

Savant

View attachment 39219

Ah, Fighter. The class you never pick because the very first companion you get will be that class anyways.
Why would you pick frog girl in your party also there is full companion respec (lame but it’s there ya know).

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Does anyone actually like Haer'Dalis? This cunt just talks all the time.

As I go through more playthroughs I tend to favour Henchmen who just shut up and do what they are supposed to.

Korgan is very based.
I think he's wonderfully written as a smug prick. And Blades are a top-tier class.
I'm sorry but Blades are garbage, you need to read my awesome retrospective on BGII.

Haer'Dalis is like the second best tank in BG2.

Minsc, Anomen, Keldorn, Korgan, are all better. Also, why is a class called "Blade" tanking? And finally, Haer'Dalis is gay.
Jaheira is the only tank that's better than Haer'Dalis, which you didn't even name.

You know, you can just say you're shit an the game

Lol of course you like Jaheira. You really like the gay guy and the biggest bitch in Faerun.

Also, the idea of "tanking" in BG2 is kind of ridiculous considering there is no meaningful way to control enemy attention. "Tanking," as commonly understood, really only applies in games where you can control aggro and/or engagement. There's not really a mechanic for this in BG2, which is why you can run past enemies and just wail on casters, or just keep your own casters out of range and have almost nothing to worry about.

Anyway, Jaheira can be a tough character if you load her up with a bunch of shit and cast Iron Skins, but who cares? She does not have the survivability of an Anomen or Korgan. Towards the end of the game you can easily get Anomen, Korgan, Keldorn, or Minsc down -10 AC or lower. The only reason to have her in your party is for Call Lightning and her insect spells which can wreck enemy casters. Otherwise, there is no reason to put up with her boss-bitch nonsense.

Idk, seems like you play on babby vanilla.

SCS master race. :obviously:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Rather than explicitly eating her people's souls when they get too strong, Vlaakith is sort of deliberately holding them back, preventing any one of her lieutenants from gaining too much experience and power and so overthrowing her. And because they live in the Astral Plane, where no one ages and time has no meaning, the githyanki are instead basically jaded war-hipsters, spending all the time they aren't fighting or raiding bored out of their fucking minds and desperate for some novelty as they futz about their decadent metropolis of a city toying with various hobbies without ever really getting into any of them. Thus, as Mordenkainen himself notes, Vlaakith's system does a great job of churning out indoctrinated fanatics without actually creating people fit for doing anything useful.

So Githyanki are basically Muslims. :smug:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bro battlemaster is gonna fuck shit up in BG3 just watch me do 9 fucking attacks in a round with 3 attacks + haste (full round action in BG3) + PAM + action surge. Oh and additional riposte attack if target somehow survives and miss their attack on me.

Does BG3 haste give you 3 extra attacks instead of the usual 1 in tabletop?

Lol if true.

Sorcadins go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Saravan

Savant

Does BG3 haste give you 3 extra attacks instead of the usual 1 in tabletop?

Lol if true.

Sorcadins go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
That’s what I have read and yes, it’s absolutely retarded if true and will most definitely break the game by itself.

Gives +3 to fighter cus apparently gives a full round action.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
in EA haste is like action surge? and in bg3 you can cast multiple spells in same turn so basically doubles your action economy (other than bonus action)

Its pretty retarded if they dont change it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom