Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
in EA haste is like action surge? and in bg3 you can cast multiple spells in same turn so basically doubles your action economy (other than bonus action)

Its pretty retarded if they dont change it
Get a sorc with twinned either yourself or respecced companion. 2x haste that gives 2x FULL ACTION. I mean it’s likely going to trivialise the whole game even on tactician.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Western monk:
A Greek Orthodox monk on Mount Athos, the center of Orthodox monasticism, died at the age of 82 without ever seeing a woman.

This is the story of Michael Tolotos. Born around 1856, Tolotos faced a tragic start to his life when his mother passed away a mere four hours after his birth.

With no father or other family members coming forward, the young boy found himself abandoned on the steps of a monastery situated atop Mount Athos. Fortunately, the monastery took him in and became his new home.
Bred and educated in the walled monastery, Tolotos never even once ventured past the gates of the monastery. Throughout all this, a law passed in 1060 banning women and animals from Mount Athos was in force. A law that still stands today.

He lived his entire life in seclusion, shielded from the external world, and without ever encountering a woman. Eventually, in 1938, at the age of 82, he passed away, having never laid eyes on the appearance of a woman.

The monk was even given a special burial by all the monks living at Mount Athos who believed that he was the only man in the world to have died without knowing what a woman looked like.
New monk mechanic: if they talk to women they lose their super powers.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bro battlemaster is gonna fuck shit up in BG3 just watch me do 9 fucking attacks in a round with 3 attacks + haste (full round action in BG3) + PAM + action surge. Oh and additional riposte attack if target somehow survives and miss their attack on me.

Also extra based damage as white human male.

Does BG3 haste give you 3 extra attacks instead of the usual 1 in tabletop?

Lol if true.

Sorcadins go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
That’s what I have read and yes, it’s absolutely retarded if true and will most definitely break the game by itself.

Gives +3 to fighter cus apparently gives a full round action.

This game is a clownshow.

Barbarian

Arcane
Are there really background specific quests? I saw it mentioned in older interviews, but then the subject seems to have been forgotten.

Barbarian

Arcane
Bro battlemaster is gonna fuck shit up in BG3 just watch me do 9 fucking attacks in a round with 3 attacks + haste (full round action in BG3) + PAM + action surge. Oh and additional riposte attack if target somehow survives and miss their attack on me.

Also extra based damage as white human male.

Does BG3 haste give you 3 extra attacks instead of the usual 1 in tabletop?

Lol if true.

Sorcadins go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
That’s what I have read and yes, it’s absolutely retarded if true and will most definitely break the game by itself.

Gives +3 to fighter cus apparently gives a full round action.

This game is a clownshow.

Fake news, the spell only provides an extra attack per turn.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Like mechanical differences or flavor? Flavorwise, rogues are pretty far from being ninjas since they are based on thieves.

Mechanically, monks have ki points and rogues have sneak attack and cunning action. Also, the shadow monk has a straight up teleport, while rogues just try their best to imitate Garrett from Thief.
And does the shadow monk have something resembling a sneak attack? If you multiclass with a rogue do you get the lockpicking ability or cunning action? Sorry, not familiar with this class at all.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will take modern cult of pseudoscience over religions of the old any day. I can disagree with or shit on someone who uses retarded arguments that don’t have any research behind them without getting hanged, burned, stoned or tortured to death as a result.

You fuckers haven’t lived in heavily religious society if you think that shit is good for human development of any kind.
Oh, I agree. I don't condone any example that you brought up.

That's why I dread when looking at the current situation, because I feel it's heading in the same direction and people are oblivious to it because "hey, they say it's science!". Belief does not require religion or facts.

But at least religion had some moral code, be it a tiny silver lining. Whatever will come out of the social turmoil, it'll need to have some moral code or we'll just do everything over again.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Like mechanical differences or flavor? Flavorwise, rogues are pretty far from being ninjas since they are based on thieves.

Mechanically, monks have ki points and rogues have sneak attack and cunning action. Also, the shadow monk has a straight up teleport, while rogues just try their best to imitate Garrett from Thief.
And does the shadow monk have something resembling a sneak attack? If you multiclass with a rogue do you get the lockpicking ability or cunning action? Sorry, not familiar with this class at all.

Thieves' tools expertise and sneak attack is a 1st level rogue feature, cunning action is 2nd. So as long as you have two levels in rogue you'll get these.

Shadow Monk gets advantage on the first melee attack when coming out of the teleport, but nothing like sneak attack damage. But being a monk, they get all the regular ki damage stuff.

Which one is better in combat would depend a lot on the build and what your party needs.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tyranicon Does the monk use any form of magic? Buffs, debuffs, anything?

It's not explicit magic, more like vague oriental mysticism. Shadow monks can use the following spells (but they're not "spells" in the way that they can be countered or anything):

Darkness
Darkvision
Pass without Trace
Silence

For 2 ki points each. And also the minor illusion cantrip.

Edit: this is of course for tabletop. I have no idea what BG3 does.

bobocrunch

Educated
If you told me this was from some Larian game, I’d never assume you are lying.
I feel like people who only know about Larian from cringe screenshots will get shell-shocked when they see the kind of morbid sadism they are capable of writing. Like in DOS2, the whore punished by binding her soul into an iron maiden torture device, begging men who pass near to enter her, spill their life liquid into her. Like the ghost who was stuck in the world of the living, because he was a pedo and is scared of what will happen if he continues to the other world. Like those "womb of demons" comments randomly from a joke character.
This is still weird European writing that's the other side of their humor. Dark & Dreary dood shit is alright but those examples are just western European edgy sadism-adjacent stuff. Partly why I think there's such a disconnect with Larian writing, because they'll go from talking about purgatoried pedophiles to wacky gnome who drools and shits without any sort of buffer

Barbarian

Arcane
Well shit Tyranicon is actually right, playtesters claim the release version has haste as providing a full action - i.e: fighters double their attacks, casters can cast 2 spells per round, etc.

The hope is that they will fix it due to negative feedback. Or alternatively this will be balanced by the ai also using it. Why buff what was already a good spell anyway?

Really makes haste the most powerful spell in the game by a mile.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well shit Tyranicon is actually right, playtesters claim the release version has haste as providing a full action - i.e: fighters double their attacks, casters can cast 2 spells per round, etc.

The hope is that they will fix it due to negative feedback. Or alternatively this will be balanced by the ai also using it. Why buff what was already a good spell anyway?

Wait. Two spells as in a regular spell and a cantrip, or two full spells? Per tabletop rules you can't even cast another spell period.

Lol at the ability for sorcerers to twin two separate hastes on their turn.

My god. I can only get so erect.

Barbarian

Arcane

Wait. Two spells as in a regular spell and a cantrip, or two full spells?

It also becomes trivial because of potions of speed(which last less rounds, but give the same extra full action and don't take concentration checks).

Really bizarre. I suppose enemies will use it as well so it will balance it out in kind... or not. Initiative will be really big. Casters double fireballing for instance will be a thing, and hardly any character can survive being boinked 9 times per round by every fighter - imagine higher level mobs.

jungl

Augur
They are keeping it true to baldurs gate. Kits level 1 starting with 2. Haste spam the game. Honestly who cares 5e has retarded spell balance anyway with fireball being op and most other spells a joke to slot.

Barbarian

Arcane

Wait. Two spells as in a regular spell and a cantrip, or two full spells? Per tabletop rules you can't even cast another spell period.

Lol just realized sorcerer can actually cast 3 spells in a round with quickened spell metamagic

:hero:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's probably isn't that important because there are more combat encounters than one per rest. 3 per turn means they would run out of slots 3x faster.

Shaki

Arbiter
Idk why people are surprised by haste being broken and retarded, it's Larian, combat was never going to be good in this game. DOS 1/2 combat was trivial and cheesable af, and these were the games they were able to make from scratch, instead of being limited by having to stay as close as possible to the retarded 5e. If you were excited for BG3, you were probably excited for muh 74 hours of cinematic dialogues, not combat.

Barbarian

Arcane
I never played the divinity games. Swen and larian have been hyping "tactician" difficulty as true hardcore challenge.

I guess it is all bs and it will be cheesable af, just as you claim.

Voids

Augur
Idk why people are surprised by haste being broken and retarded, it's Larian, combat was never going to be good in this game. DOS 1/2 combat was trivial and cheesable af, and these were the games they were able to make from scratch, instead of being limited by having to stay as close as possible to the retarded 5e. If you were excited for BG3, you were probably excited for muh 74 hours of cinematic dialogues, not combat.
Yeah i dont get all the marketing about the cinematic shit. Nobody played bg for just the story. The writing was basic and fine, like a fun simple adventure. 3d is still pig disgusting too, bring back the fucking pixelated fuzzy sprites you pussies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom