Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Let's say you're in Larian's marketing department. Either a contractor or you work for them directly. How would you advertise the game to the RPGcodex community?

Keep in mind you want to stay employed, so your first instinct of making an account and posting a video of killing Halsin while chanting, "Come home, white man" may not fly.

I don't think they care about us at all. There's a reason Swen stopped posting here. It's a classic small indie developer arc though. Lean on grognards for money and word of mouth when you are poor, to the extent of getting Kickstartered, then run away and embrace the mainstream when you have a larger audience.

I mean, who would want to associate with the Codex as a semi public person either?

Jimeh

Educated
The builds and guide below have been slightly modified to account for some rule changes Larian has made to multiclassing revealed in Italian written article or Enlgish translated article
They have removed ability score requirements for multiclassing. This is the 13 in different stats that you need in order to multiclass. This change definitely makes multiclassing more accessible and could buff many builds, but few would say it is game breakingly overpowered. I tried to edit out previous mentions of ability score requirements.

I am not really sure what to make of this line, but it sounds like it is going to buff multiclassed casters:

The other thing we changed is how magic users use spell slots, making it less punishing to level up more than one magic class. One of the issues with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class. But we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the beginning of the campaign, without necessarily having to wait for higher levels, so we had to tweak the resource usage a bit

Until we get clarification on what point 2 means, I am not going to account for it. It could significantly change anything with regards to multiclassing casters. I still think the below guidance can be immensely beneficial for understanding how multiclassing works, and then you can apply the modifications to your build based off the above rule changes.
Introduction and Assumptions

The D&D 5e rules for multiclassing can be found here for free. Larian may adjust these rules in BG3. Larian is already homebrewing several of the rules regarding race, class, and subclass options. Some D&D 5e builds may not work well in BG3. And BG3 may have some really good multiclassing builds that wouldn't be possible in tabletop. Until we know the exact details and to get people a basic understanding of the rules, I am going to assume that BG3 will be in line with D&D 5e except in areas we already know this will not be the case.
There are many posts out there with regards to D&D 5e multiclassing. This post will be unique in that it will account for the subclasses, races, and level cap which are found in BG3. But once again, we don't know all the details yet to plan a complete character builder, so I am treating any unknown features as though they work like in D&D 5e.
You can try to make your own D&D 5e multiclassed character using character creators like those on D&DBeyond. A free account I believe gets you 2 or 3 characters you can make at a time, and you will be very limited on what class, race, and subclass options you can pick. But you can dabble in multiclassing, pull up a character sheet for the character you made, and see how things work.
Edit to add this video by MortismalGaming which closely aligns with this post.

Opportunity Cost

It is difficult to "mess up" a D&D 5e character, but Multiclassing without a plan can be one way to mess up your character. Multiclassing does not come for free. Every level you take in some other class, means one less level in your main class. It is up to you to weigh whether this trade-off is worth it. For example, in the first of the below builds the character will finish BG3 at Barbarian 9/Fighter 3. Those three levels in fighter grant some great features, and many people would say it's worth the multiclass. But is it worth losing the subclass feature, feat/ability score increase, and relentless rage that a barbarian gets between levels 10-12 in their main class? That's for you to decide. If you are going to multiclass, then do it with a plan in mind and always weigh the opportunity cost.

It is worth emphasizing that multiclassing can result in you losing a feat/ASI. Most classes only get feats/ASIs every 4 levels (fighters or rogues can get additional ones at 6th or 10th class level respectively). Missing out on one or more of these can be extremely detrimental to your character at higher levels.

Common Multiclassing Confusion and Pitfalls

I am not going to cover all the multiclassing rules. They are described in depth here with examples. The basics are that when you level up, you can choose to increase the level in your existing class. Or you can take a level in a different class. So a second level character may be a Level 1 Fighter/Level 1 Wizard, getting most of the benefits of each class. But I will provide emphasis to some common sources of confusion and pitfalls.

What do you get from your second class? - You get almost everything that your second class has to offer. The biggest outliers are the starting proficiencies. You do not get any additional saving throw proficiencies by taking first level in a second class. You only get armor, skill, and weapon proficiencies from your second class that are shown in the table found in the rules. If your second class has a subclass which grants proficiencies at first level, then you DO get those proficiencies as well. The other big things that you do NOT get to stack from a multiclass are unarmored defense, extra attack, and uses of channel divinity. A 5th level paladin gets to make an extra attack when they take the attack action, and a 5th level barbarian gets to make an extra attack when they take the attack action. But a barbarian 5/paladin 5 does NOT get three attacks when they take the attack action (barring some external buff of some kind). Monk and barbarian unarmored defense do NOT stack, you get one or the other.

Class Level vs. Character Level vs. Spellcaster level - For the most part if you are trying to see what your character can or cannot do, you need to only look at the features granted by their level in each of their classes. The two main things that scale off Character Level are proficiency bonus and damage scaling from cantrips (0 level spells). There are other things that scale of character level, such as the Tough feat. But we are really getting into nuances here. Cantrip damage scaling and proficiency bonus are the big two. Spellcaster level is covered below.

Multiclassing Spellcasters (ignoring Warlocks) - Multiclassing spellcasters is the most complicated part. You determine your spells known/prepared (including cantrips) by looking at what spells you would know or prepare for each class with the Spellcasting feature. And you must use the spellcasting ability (Cha, Int, Wis) for the class which gave you that spell.

However to determine the number of spell SLOTS you must determine your spellcaster level, and then use the caster level table provided in the rules (which is identical to the spell slot table for any full caster). So while a second level sorc would only have three spell slots of 1st level, and a third level paladin would only have three spell slots of 1st level, a sorc 2/paladin 3 does NOT have six spell slots of 1st level. This character's spellcaster level would be third. 2 spellcaster levels from sorc, and only 1 spellcaster level from paladin since paladins are "half-casters" (like rangers), so you divide the class level by two and then round down to determine the spellcaster level. This means the character would have three first level spell slots, and a second level spell slot. But they won't actually know any second level spells, meaning that the second level spell slot can only be used to upcast the first level spells that they actually know.

While the basic rules version of multiclassing don't cover Eldritch Knight Fighter and Aracne Trickster Rogue, they follow the same rules as paladins and rangers except that EK fighter and AT rogues are 1/3 casters. Meaning you need to divide their level by 3 and then round down to get their effective spellcaster level.

Multiclassing Warlock with other casters - Note that warlocks do not have the Spellcasting feature. They have Pact Magic. Pact Magic and Spellcasting are separate. The warlock spell slots are in addition to whatever spell slots you have from your effective caster level as described above. When you take a short rest, you only get your warlock spell slots back (not counting something like Wizard's Arcane Recovery feature). However the warlock spells slots are interchangeable with spell slots used to cast spells from other classes, or class abilities like divine smite.

Spellcasting abilities (Cha, Int, Wis) - Didn't I already bring this up in italics in the "Spellcasters" section? Yes. But it is so important that I'm going into it with more depth. If somebody shows you a high elf character with levels in Sorc X/Druid Y, but don't see 2 reasons why this would possibly be a bad idea then keep reading. Any spells you learn from being a sorc use Cha for determining the chance to hit, or the target's ability to resist the effects. Similarly, any spells you learn from being a Druid will use Wis for determining the chance to hit, or the target's ability to resist the effects. Multiclassing between these two classes is possible, but you have to be careful about it. You either need to roll for stats (still pending verification that this will be an option in BG3) and get really good Cha and Wis scores to be able to use all Sorc and Druid spells effectively. Or you focus on one of these spellcasting stats (Wis or Cha). If you pick Wis, then you can choose whatever Druid spells you want, and just make sure you only pick Sorc spells that don't require dice rolls to hit or save, such as buffs like mirror image or jump. Vice versa if you pick Cha as your main casting stat, you will need to be careful about what Druid spells you pick. I picked high elf for this hypothetical character, because as part of picking this race they get a cantrip that scales off Int and a lot of people miss this detail, wondering why their sorc is using Int to cast ray of frost. Similarly, a drow's Faerie Fire scales off Cha. Always look at what the casting stat is for a racial spell, and if it requires an attack roll or saving throw.

Making a spellsword or "gish" character - BG3 does not include the Hexblade class, which is overtuned at first level and has become an overused staple of "gish" builds. This is because the hexblade subclass allows you to use Cha as both your spellcasting ability and your ability to determine accuracy and damage with weapon attacks. BG3 also does not seem to include the "SCAG" cantrips of booming blade or green flame blade. These spells help casters that don't have extra attack keep up in melee combat with martial characters that do have extra attack. It is a bit trickier to make gish characters without these options, but still doable. Single class options exist such as eldritch knight fighter, arcane trickster rogue, ranger, paladin, warlock (pact of the blade at level 3, thirsting blade at level 5), swords bard, valor bard. But if you want to make a multiclassed gish, then you will want to get to extra attack as soon as you can. Ideally level 5, though level 6 is doable. If you are at level 7 and playing in melee without extra attack or the SCAG cantrips, you're going to have a bad time.

Multiclassing martials - Multiclassing martials is pretty simple, once you understand that extra attack from different classes do NOT stack. But similar to above with gish characters, you want to get to extra attack as fast as possible. You can afford to perhaps take a dip outside of your main class. But you absolutely want to have extra attack by the time you are level 7 as a martial character.

Popular & Likely Viable BG3 Multiclass Builds

The below are common multiclass builds in D&D 5e which may work in BG3. I also added a couple builds that may work better in BG3 than they do in tabletop. These are by no means the only possible multiclass builds. There are tons and tons of them, and I myself am considering making my first character a paladin/rogue multiclass which I won't cover here since it isn't what folks would view as common or particularly synergistic.

Crit Fishing Half Orc - Barbarian 9/Champion Fighter 3

When a half-orc crits, they roll an extra damage die. When a 9th level barbarian crits, they roll an extra damage die. Champion fighters have double the crit chance (they crit on a 19 or 20 on the attack roll). And if a barbarian reckless attacks, you get advantage on the attack roll which further increases your odds of getting a crit (but also makes you a bit more vulnerable). If you want to go this route, make sure you use a two-handed weapon with a d12 damage die unless you find something extraordinary for your build. If you use something like a greatsword with a 2d6 damage die, then your extra damage dice from half-orc and barbarian would bring it up to 6d6 damage (average 21) on a crit. Whereas is you use a weapon like a battleaxe with a d12 damage die and crit then you will do 4d12 damage (average 26) on a crit. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Tanky Moon Druid - Moon Druid X/Barbarian Y

Moon druids can wildshape, and when they do they basically get a massive HP pool on top of their existing one. Barbarians can also rage, and while raged get only takes half damage from piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage (the three most common types). If Larian adds Totem (a.k.a. Wildheart) of the Bear, then this rage damage resistance expands to instead half ALL damage except psychic. If bear totem is in, then I think the best split is Druid 9/Barbarian 3. But you could argue for other splits as well. One common point of confusion is that people thing unarmored defense carries over into wildshape. The rulings on this are various, but technically you only get the "natural armor" of your wildshaped form, and do not get any bonus to your AC from your barbarian unarmored defense. Some DMs let players use unarmored defense in place of the wildshpaed form's natural armor if unarmored defense is higher, but note that your dex and con change to that of the creature you are wildshaped into. Under no circumstance should unarmored defense stack with wildshaped natural armor. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Tanky Caster version 1 - Fighter X/Squishy Caster Y

The "squishy caster" in this scenario is usually a Wizard. It also works with lore bards, warlocks, and sorcerers, but these classes will often do a similar build where they choose paladin instead of fighter as will be discussed below. By taking your first level in fighter you get proficiency in (among other things) medium armor, shields, and con save proficiency which is great for maintaining concentrations on spells. As well as a fighting style, and defense is a great option for this. Plus second wind for a bit of self-healing. By making your caster start as a fighter with 14 dex you'll have medium armor, a shield, and the defense fighting style for a total of 19 AC. Or you can start at 13 Str and go the heavy armor route with chain mail. Or you can go 15 Str and go the heavy armor route, and get 21 AC with plate mail, a a shield, and defense fighting style. This is enough to get from the fighter class for some people, but others will take a second level in fighter at some point (maybe character level 3) for Action Surge. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Tanky Caster version 2 - Cleric 1/Wizard 11

I guess this works on other squishy casters like sorc or bard or warlock, but I never hear people talk about doing this on anything but wizard. So I'll just specify wizard on this one. This build is taken for similar reasons as the above Tanky Caster version 1 build; provide armor class to a squishy caster. The downsides are that you don't get the defense fighting style, second wind, or the option to get action surge. What you DO get is another level in a full caster class, which fighter does not provide. This benefit may increase the number and level of spell slots you have through the early and middle stages of the game. But 11th level and 12th level caster have the same number of spell slots so it does not make a difference near the end of the game. You also get the spells known from a cleric. This includes great spells that don't require you to make any attack rolls or force saves, such as guidance or bless. So having the bare minimum 13 Wis is fine. And while healing word from the cleric does scale the healing slightly off of your Wis modifier, the amount healed is not really relevant when restoring an unconscious ally to life in the middle of combat. Lastly, you get the level 1 cleric subclass benefits. Many will pick a subclass that grants heavy armor proficiency such as life, nature, tempest, or war. I personally encourage knowledge domain to get expertise in two intelligence based skills that your wizard will already be great at. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Sorcadin - Paladin X/Sorcerer Y

This can be very similar to the above "Tanky Caster" where you get defensive features from Paladin, but are primarily a caster. But more commonly people play Sorcadin as a spellsword "gish" build. They get up close and smash things over the head, and they use all the extra spell slots they get from full caster levels in sorcerer to do divine smites and deal extra damage. Sorcerer is a popular pick because they get a lot of spell slots (as compared to warlock), and sorcery points to convert into more spell slots. Or they can use metamagic to cast powerful buff spells like haste as a bonus action. I personally feel that with a level 12 cap, it is ideal to start with Paladin 6 to get extra attack and the amazing paladin aura, then go the rest of the levels in sorc. Others may say to go 5 levels paladin and 7 in sorc to get access to 4th level sorc spells. Or may go 7 levels in paladin to get the improved paladin aura from your subclass, and 5 in sorc. You pick what you prefer. Larian gave white draconic bloodline sorc the spell Armor of Agathys as a spell known, so that is the sorc subclass I would pick with known info.

I had to edit this one because I forgot paladins get heavy armor proficiency only if that is your starting class. Caster focused Sorcadins who are mostly going sorc and only dipping into paladin for tankiness may want to opt for starting with 14 dex, starting as a sorc to get con save proficiency, then take your level(s) in paladin. Though starting as a paladin and putting 13 or 15 in Str and using heavy armor is also valid. But Str based melee Sorcadins should likely start in Paladin, unless you are doing a very niche and nuanced Dex sorcadin build. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Bardadin - Paladin X/Bard Y

This is very similar to the Sorcadin above, except bard instead of sorc. You can make a caster heavy focused baradin or a melee focused one, just like the sorcadin. However unlike Sorcadin, the bard has the valor and swords bard subclass. This means a melee focused Bardadin will focus on swords or valor bard for the first 6 levels to get extra attack and then 2 levels in paladin to unlock divine smite, and then the rest can go in bard. But starting as a bard and multiclassing into Paladin means you do not get heavy armor proficiency, so you'll want to be dex based if you go this route.

This build will do a similar amount of damage as the melee sorcadin since you don't have metamagic to make more spell slots, but you also have more spell slots available and at higher levels due to all your bard levels. Sorcadin probably wins on damage if you are using metamagic to quicken cast buff spells. But Paladin already has a ton of damage potential, and you are supplementing it with your bard spell slots so Bardadin damage is nothing to scoff at whatsoever. However you will be better at out-of-combat support through extra skill proficiencies, jack of all trades, and bardic inspiration than a sorcadin would be. I would play a bardadin over a sorcadin any day thanks to this utility. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Lockadin - Paladin 10/Warlock 2

This is very similar to the Sorcadin above, except warlock instead of sorc. You can make a caster heavy focused lockadin or a melee focused one, just like the sorcadin. The melee focused lockadin takes advantage of getting the warlock's spell slots that come back on a short rest on top of their paladin slots. So they smite away, and then get back two of their spell slots back on a short rest. This multiclass is a lot more common with the warlock's hexblade subclass. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Bardlock - Warlock 2/Bard 10

One of Bard's greatest down sides is a lack of a good damage source. But they are Charisma casters, warlocks are charisma casters, warlocks get eldritch blast which is a decent damage cantrip, but made into a great damage cantrip with the warlock's agonizing blast invocation at second level. So the build usually goes taking 2 levels in warlock, the rest in bard. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Sor-lock-bard-adain

Some combination of Paladin, Warlock, and the rest in either Bard or Sorc. Using the principles of above four builds. Maybe you make a paladin gish with the benefits of sorc and warlock spell slots. Maybe you make a bard-lock eldritch blast spammer, but dip into paladin for armor and shield proficiency. There are tons and tons of options between the 4 charisma casters. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The Ambush Bard - Bard X/Rogue Y

This one is actually really simple once you get the hang of it, but a bit complicated to explain without accompanying images. I think the most efficient way to explain this build is with this short video. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The Ambush Ranger - Assassin Rogue X/Gloomstalker Ranger Y/Fighter Z

It is worth noting that Larian has already made several changes to the ranger class. And outside of this build, almost nobody plays the rogue's assassin subclass in tabletop D&D 5e so it may also be adjusted at release. But per tabletop, this build has a devastating opening turn of combat. Especially if it opens from stealth.

Gloomstalker gets bonuses that make them very difficult to detect in darkness by most creatures, helping them catch their enemy by "surprise."
Gloomstalker ranger gets to add their Wisdom bonus to their initiative rolls, helping them go early.
Assassin rogue gets advantage on any creature that has not gone yet in combat.
If you started the combat from stealth or otherwise caught the enemy off guard, then any character that is caught unawares during the first round of combat has the "surprised" condition. And assassin rogues automatically crit when they hit a surprised target
Gloomstalker rangers get to make one extra attack on the first turn, and if that hits then it does an extra 1d8 damage.
If you are dual wielding or using the crossbow expert feat or polearm master feat then you can make an additional attack using your bonus action.
Action surge, and get three more attacks.

Put all this together and you get 2 attacks from a level 5 ranger or fighter's attack action, another attack doing an additional 1d8 damage from gloom stalker, and a bonus action attack if you are properly equipped with equipment and possibly feats for a total of four attacks. Now add at least 2 levels of fighter to get action surge, which gives you another 3 attacks (2 from extra attack, 1 from gloomstalker opening round which does an additional d8 of damage) attacks for a total of 7 attacks on this absolutely absurd opening turn. One of the above attacks will also do sneak attack damage. Any of these attacks made against targets behind you in initiative will have advantage, and if the target is surprised then each of these attacks automatically crit which doubles the amount of damage dice rolled. And with all these possible crits, half-orc is looking awfully tempting for the extra weapon damage die for each attack that crits.

Once you get past the first round of combat, this build significantly quiets down. But after such a devastating opening, the enemy is usually down a few members. The exact level split may be up in the air, pending possible changes to assassin rogue and the ranger class. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The "Great"berry Healer - Life Cleric X/Druid Y or Life Cleric X/Ranger Y

When a healing spell cast by a life cleric does healing, it does an additional amount of healing equal to your Wisdom modifier. The goodberry spell in tabletop summons 10 berries, each of which does 1 healing. And in tabletop the life cleric additonal healing does interact with each goodberry consumed. Meaning that a single cast of good berry will do somewhere between 40 to 60 hitpoints of healing, depending on a typical wisdom caster's Wisdom modifier. But this spell has been changed in BG3 Early Access at least to instead summon four berries, each of which does 1d4 healing (this may change on launch). On its own this change is a roughly equivalent amount of healing. But if BG3's goodberries interact with life cleric's additional healing bonus at all then this will significantly cut down the expected amount of healing to closer on the order of 22 to 30 hp. Edit: In BG3 Early Access this interaction will also only work if the life cleric who cast the goodberry spell is the one to consume the "great"berries, it does not work if another party member eats the "great"berries. It is still extremely powerful for a first level spell, but not as good as in tabletop. All you need is 1 level in life cleric, and the goodberry spell which can be obtained by 1 level in druid or 2 levels in ranger. You can make any of these three classes into your main class after that. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The Angry Rogue - Barbarian X/Rogue Y

For a rogue to get sneak attack they either need to have advantage on the attack roll, or the target must have another hostile (not counting the rogue) within 5 ft of it while the rogue does not have disadvantage. This is usually achievable, but not always. If only there was some way to just give yourself advantage... This is where two levels in barbarian comes in so you get Reckless Attack. You get advantage on your attack rolls, but enemies will have advantage on attack rolls against you for one round. Fortunately rage and uncanny dodge are there to help your defense a bit. The main way to build this would be to go Strength based, as sneak attack only requires that you use a weapon with the finesse property, but not necessarily that you use dex on your attack rolls. So you can sneak attack by wielding a rapier for example with strength. And while you are at it, apply bonus rage damage if you are raging. If you go this strength route you will probably want to take your first level in barbarian, because that is the only way this build is getting medium armor proficiency (unless you pick the mountain dwarf as your race, or the moderately armored feat). That is how most tabletop players do this build, and I'd recommend doing 2 barb and 10 rogue to catch the bonus ASI/Feat that rogues get at level 10.

But in BG3 it may be possible to do this with a dex based build. Normally in 5e you do not get the extra barbarian rage damage to your attacks unless you use strength, and you cannot recklessly attack unless you use strength for the attack roll. BG3 Early Access does not impose either of these restrictions, and a Dex based barbarian is a good bit tankier while unarmored than a strength based barbarian is while unarmored. Plus a Dex based barb can start as a rogue and get the extra skill proficiencies that come with this.

Edit: Furthermore in BG3 you may want to take barbarian to level 3 and pick berserker subclass, and pick the thief subclass for rogue. This will give you two powerful bonus action attacks you can take as a barbarian/rogue multiclass when raging if these subclasses launch the way that they are in Early Access. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The Classic Eldritch Knight Gish - Eldritch Knight Fighter X/Abjuration Wizard Y

The fighter is great because it makes lots of attacks and gets lots of feats. The eldritch knight subclass adds a bit of magic on there. But the magic you can use is severely limited by both spell selection and number of spell slots, since eldritch knight is a 1/3 caster. This is where wizard comes in to shore up the eldritch knight's short comings, by adding more spells known and more spell slots. Abjuration wizard is great, since you'll likely be casting the shield spell a good bit with this build and each time you do you'll get a bit of temp HP thanks to abjuration wizard's Arcane Ward feature. I personally would go EK fighter 7 and abjuration wizard 5. Or EK fighter 8 and abjuration 4 if you prefer an extra ASI/Feat over third level wizard spells. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

The Skill Monkey Support Bard - Sorc 1/Knowledge Cleric 1/Lore Bard 10

I meant to add one of these to the post, but am glad I did not because this commenter provided a better one then the one I was going to do.

Absurd Lightning Damage - Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorc 10

Storm Sorc is typically viewed as one of the weaker subclasses in 5e, and many are hoping to see it buffed in 5e. However Larian has a homebrewed rule in BG3 Early Access that causes lightning damage to do double damage against targets which are "wet." And when a storm sorc casts a leveled spell that does lightning or thunder damage, then you can cause all enemies within 10 feet of you to take lightning or thunder damage equal to half of your Sorc level (cantrips don't trigger this effect). So if an enemy is wet (possible via a quicken cast of create water, an ally setting it up by throwing a water flask or other means, etc.) and you cast a lightning or thunder leveled spell like thunderwave or chromatic orb, you will do double damage with the lightning spell and damage to all nearby enemies equal to your sorc level. This is potentially very powerful without multiclassing.

But wait, there's more. Tempest domain clerics get channel divinity at second level allowing them to roll max damage on all the damage on a lightning or thunder spell once a short rest (essentially double damage). So by combining this with storm sorc and the BG3 EA wet condition making enemies vulnerable to lightning damage, this means that once a short rest you can do 4x damage with a lightning spell on a wet enemy, and simultaneously deal damage equal to your sorc level on all enemies near you. And you can use metamagic to do even more damage by enhancing it or twin casting the spell if action economy allows. This is a gimmicky but viable build in tabletop, and if Larian's homebrewed "wet = double lightning damage" stays in then it will be even more gimmicky but also more viable in BG3. I recommend first level sorc to get con save proficiency, then two cleric, then the rest sorc. You do not need to have a high Wis for this build, Cha is your main casting stat. Just make sure that the cleric spells you pick are ones that don't require an attack roll or save. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.

Sorlock - Warlock 2/Sorcerer 10

Note it is almost certain that the once mighty tabletop build referred to as the "coffeelock" where you get infinite spell slots will NOT work in BG3. But even ignoring this rulebending build, Sorlocks are still viable. Typically the premise is that sorcs can do great burst damage. Wouldn't it be nice if they can do some extra consistent damage on top of that? So start sorc, take a two level dip in warlock for eldritch blast and agonizing blast, then go sorc the rest of the way. This also gives you some extra warlock pact magic spell slots which come back on a short rest so you can convert into sorcery points to fuel your metamagic shennanigans. Cast a powerful eldritch blast with your action, and follow it up with a quickened fireball with your bonus action or quickened haste to buff your paladin who needs to go charging into combat. Assuming relevant rules are implemented per D&D 5e, and you should weigh the opportunity cost.
A note on Monk

The best monk features often rely on Ki points, which you can only get more of by taking more levels in Monk. If you want to multiclass out of monk, most find that the opportunity costs are too high and you would have been better off just staying with monk. Taking a dip into monk grants you melee combat focused features that only work if you are unarmored, so will be useless on most characters. The monk's unarmored defense does not stack or otherwise interact with unarmored defense from a wildshaped druid, or a barbarian's unarmored defense. These reasons are some of the more prominent ones for why monk multiclasses are not common in tabletop. Larian has said they are making changes to monks in BG3. Depending on these changes, monk may become a more tempting multiclass target

I'll link to some comments with monk multiclass ideas from commenters here:

Spore druid/monk

Shadow monnk/battlemaster fighter

Shadow monk/thief rogue

A note on Thief Rogue

The thief rogue's Early Access ability to get two bonus actions may be the most power shifting feature in BG3. Many martial casters will get benefit from dual wielding, crossbow expert, or polearm master with a 3 level dip in thief rogue. This is especially the case for ranger, which is notoriously starved for bonus actions. Bonus action controllable spells like spiritual weapon or flaming sphere just got their damage doubled by this. Currently in BG3 early access, Larian does not restrict you from casting a leveled spell with your action and bonus action. This means that a Thief Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Sorc 7 would be able to cast a spell with their action, action surge and get another action to cast a leveled spell, use metamagic to cast a powerful spell as a bonus action, and use metamagic to cast another powerful spell with your extra bonus action. You will burn everything you have to do this, and you will be limited to 4th level spells, so maybe that will balance things. A raging berserker barbarian now gets two very powerful bonus action attacks when they rage, which could go great with the Angry Rogue build. But if thief rogue is going to launch as it is in early access, you should always ask yourself, "Is 3 levels in thief rogue worth the opprotunity cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimeh

Educated
I've been playing dnd 5th edition for almost a decade now and I can safely say I do have some experience specifically in Cleric class more than any other given how many campaigns I played with them. My goal with this post is guide anyone willing to play a cleric Tav or build Shadowheart properly.

Some are new to 5th edition, some to Dungeons and Dragons as a whole. Some are seeing cRPGs genre for the first time. I can say with certainty that not only newcomers, but longtime players don't fully grasp what a cleric can bring to the table. I've played with parties that were shocked with what my character could do... and what he was not good at too, more on that later.

This is an early guide, of course, subject to change in the long run.
Cleric, the basics:

You are a caster, first and foremost. Full spellcasting. You can go to the frontline, but you are not a fighter, nor you should try to be (unless you multiclass).
You start out decent at frontlining. Medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency and some decent HP can make you stay in combat longer than your typical caster. Some domains can give you heavy armor proficiency or even martial weapon proficiency, so bear that in mind.
Wisdom is your main stat. Its keyed to your best class features and spells, and determine your spellcasting DC or Atk. Constitution is very important as well. As a third place its likely either Str or Dex.
Clerics are frontloaded. What that means is, your best features are in the early levels. You still get a lot of nice things, but the biggest stapples of the class you can find in the first 5 levels. What that means is that clerics can do wonderful multiclasses (more on that later).
Don't, and I repeat, DON'T reduce your role as a "healer". Clerics aren't the guys in the back cheering up their friends and patching up their injuries. You heal when you have nothing more important to do. Maybe your friend is down to 0 HP and you can cast that handy Healing Word, then its great. But don't go burning your precious spellslots to upcast some cure wounds because you want everyone to be full HP all times, you have short rest for that.
A cleric can be very different from another. You got, at launch, 7 different subclasses, represented by domains. You can be a frontliner, a blaster, a skillmonkey and yes, even a healer!
Clerics are one of the best ways of acquiring Heavy Armor proficiency if you don't start with a class that already has it.

Class Features

Spellcasting, you get at level one and is your most important feature. Follows full spellcasting rules, remember that if multiclassing. Their spells include healing, buffs, some surprisingly good blasting and even some summoning.
Your Domain. Those are your subclass options, which unlike many, you get at the very first level, will have its own section but, as of now, its a bit early to give an accurate rundown on these since there are a couple differences between BG3 and DnD5ed ruleset. But what domains do is to give you an alternate way to use your Channel Divinity, some Domain Spells (spells that are always prepared) and some extra class feature.
Channel Divinity. At start, very niche ability, but your domain can give a different, powerful use to those. The default use is to Turn Undead, a classic cleric ability. Undeads around you make a Wis save, if they fail, they run away from you. Neat, but situational.
Destroy Undead. If the undead you turn are truly garbage, you destroy them instead. Its more of a clean up the field so the players can focus their actions on whatever is threatening them right now instead of wasting their time with fodder.

Domains

Life

The first thing most think about cleric. The healer. Life is good at that, yes, and can even be busted. Their main draw are the follow:

Disciple of Life: They get 2+ spell level increase in HP healed for each healing spell they cast. This can vary from good to busted, making the Life cleric one of the few classes that should even bother with making healing their main role.
Heavy Armor proficiency: Great, amazing. Heavy armor are dope and this allows you to be a very capable frontliner.
Domain Spells: Not a single spell is out of cleric spell list, but they are all staple cleric spells so its not a bad list at all.
Channel Divinity: Is even more healing, quite the overkill in my opinion.
Divine Strike: You get +1d8 radiant damage per turn to a weapon attack you hit. Neat, but not powerful.

Rating: 4/5. Good, reliable cleric. Chances are it will deliver whatever you expect this class to give. Most vanilla flavored cleric tbh.

Light

The blasty cleric. Quite different from Life cleric, this one gets access to anything related to light, be it class feature or spell known, although it can do a good ammount of blasting easily.

Warding Flare: Gives some welcomed defensiveness to you and later, to party members as well.
Domain Spells: You get a lot of spells outside of cleric spell list. The main standouts are Faerie Fire, Flaming Sphere, Fireball (!) and Wall of Fire.
Channel Divinity: Moar blasting. 2d10 + cleric level of fire damage to enemies that don't pass a Con save. Coolish.
Potent Spellcasting: Adds Wis mod to your cantrip damage. Neat, but not impressive.

Rating 3,5/5. 4/5. Neat, but really, what I like the most is the access to Wall of Fire and Warding Flare, otherwise and ok subclass.
Edit: Case been made by posters that this is stronger than I have previously guessed. However, there are some points to be made.

Its a very frontloaded subclass, in that its CD blast is quite powerful at early levels, but weak in later. Granted, this game goes 1 to 12. If it were something like 8 to 16 I would stick with my initial rating.
Fireball, the posterspell of this domain, is... overrated. Been there, used that, but hear me out. You won't be impressed by fireball for too long. It starts off as 8d6 fire damage, beautiful stuff at level 5. Level 7 you can upcast it for... 9d6 fire damage. Its basically a spell locked at lvl 3 that has some marginal benefits when upcasting. Compare that with Spirit Guardians who, at base level, does 3d8 radiant damage per turn. Upcast it and it does 4d8. A lvl 5 fireball is doing one time 10d6 fire damage AOE possibly hitting friends, while SG is doing 5d8 radiant damage without friendly fire... every turn. As far as blasting goes SG wins by a landslide.

Trickery

Shadowheart's subclass, so you might be discouraged to chose this one. Neat subclass with some really cool spells out of cleric spell list. A bit of an out-of-the-box cleric that likely won't appeal to those who have a more conservative playstyle. Powerful to those who are willing to lean on its strengths.

Blessing of the Trickster: Meh, sounds quite situational. But indeed can be abusable in some situations with sky high stealth checks.
Domain Spells: Where this domain's strengths lie. Mirror Image, Polymorph, Pass Without a Trace, Dominate Person, Dimensional Door... completely stacked of great spells.
Channel Divinity: Invoke Duplicity. Cool, can setup some interesting situations to your martials so they can deliver powerful attacks, maybe even criticals, with advantage. Unlike other subclasses, this domain also get a second use of CD, which is Cloak of Shadows, granting you invisibility until the end of your next turn. Can be very useful.
Divine Strike: +1d8 poison damage. Might as well not even be there.

Rating 4/5. Hard carried by their awesome spells, that benefit can be diminished if you are willing to multiclass.

Tempest

Now we are getting more speculative. Im drawing mostly from my experience in tabletop here. This domain is one of the best blasters in the whole game, mainly due to the crazy use of Channel Divinity.

Wrath of Storm: A good use of a reaction, does 2d8 lightning or thunder damage to a creature that hits you in melee.
Heavy Armor AND Martial Weapons proficiency: Wow, super good, specially the heavy armor.
Domain Spells: Good spells such as Thunderwave, Shatter and specially Destruction Wave.
Thunderous Strike: Adds some more control to your lightning spells.
Channel Divinity: Possibly the reason you picked this domain. Burn a CD to maximize a lightning or thunder spell. Can be a crazy nova that clears the room.
Divine Strike: +1d8 thunder damage. Neat, and you are not a terrible attacker yourself.

Rating 5/5. Cookie filled subclass that meshes well with other classes such as sorcerer or wizard. Maximing a Lightning Bolt is no joke. The fact you can do that heavily armored only enhances the opressiveness.

Knowledge

Skillmonkey. One of the biggest nerds in the setting. A very utility heavy subclass with some strong mind affecting spells and features. Seems hard to implement in a cRPG and I expect many divergences between BG3 version and PHB.

Blessings of Knowledge: Gets two languages and two knowledge skills such as Arcana, Nature, History and Religion. Also gets expertise in those know skills.
Domain Spells: Mostly mind affecting spells and info gathering ones. Good spells all around.
Channel Divinity: Great stuff. In a pinch, you can be the right one for the job by just burning a CD and getting proficiency in a skill or tool. Can also use CD to read thoughs and apply Suggestion to those who got their mind read. Strong stuff.
Potent Spellcasting: Adds Wis mod to your cantrip damage. Again, neat, but not impressive.

Rating ?/5. Hard to gauge. How will Divination spells be handled in the full release? How far can you go with mind manipulation. This can shift from 3/5 to 4/5.

Nature

Kind of druid, but less of Tree Hugging and less restrictions on yourself.

Acolyte of Nature: You get some cantrips from the druid. Can be really great with Shillelagh, allowing you to pump Wis and almost nothing else.
edit: also grants a skill proficiency in Animal Handling, Nature or Survival (by TommyF085) - big change here since Nature and mainly Survival are quite imporant skills.
Heavy Armor proficiency: Great, again.
Domain Spells: Mostly niche spells from druid spell list.
Channel Divinity: You charm plants and animals. Sounds meh to me.
Divine Strike: You get +1d8 fire OR cold OR lightning damage per turn to a weapon attack you hit. Goodish, better than the alternatives.
Dampen Elements: Reaction to grant a creature you can see resistance to an element. Possibly the best class feature in this domain, who would otherwise be quite lackluster.

Rating 4/5. Heavy armor and a Dampen Elements are the main standouts here. Acolyte of Nature isn't bad at all. Its really a bunch of neat features added on top of each other that makes this subclass good. But its CD is lackluster and Domain Spells hardly add to your list.

War

Overrated domain imo. But still a solid subclass overall. Main thing is likely the +10 bonus to some attacks.

War Priest: Allows you to use your bonus action to attack. A lot of restrictions on that one.
Heavy Armor AND Martial Weapons proficiency: Expected. Still amazing.
Domain Spells: Good spells but mostly are already on cleric's spell list.
Channel Divinity: +10 bonus to attacks is immense in this edition. Great feature.
Divine Strike: +1d8 weapon damage. Neat, specially to someone who actually invested in going melee.

Rating 3/5. In my opinion, a lacklusted domain with some good features here and there. Might be great if you intend on dipping for the CD alone.
Main Spells

Now I'll give you a quick analysis of the spells I consider staple spells in cleric list.
Spells with a * I added later due to other posters feedback and are not my initial thoughs on them (but I do agree). They are followed by my own take on them.

Lvl 1:

Healing Word: Oh god, this is healing as a bonus action. From distance. If you are playing Co-op and you don't bring this spell your friends will start worrying whats wrong about you. One of, if not THE most, essential spells in the game.

Bless: One of the best uses of concentration in this game. +1d4 bonus to saves AND attacks for 3 party members... This is immense.

Guiding Bolt: Neat blasting with a debuff to get hit riding it. A good source of damage, but not spectacular.

Sanctuary: Yeah, quite key spell in some of the more delicate moments. Might save you from TPK by discouraging enemies from attacking you. The fact you can cast it as a bonus only makes a good spell even better.

*Create Water: can be used for a lot of combos as it applies the wet condition which causes lightning and frost to do double damage. - Specially nasty for Tempest Clerics. BTW, Call Lightning can be cast twice in BG3 if you are hasted, so this can get crazy.

*Inflict Wounds: a first level spell with 3d10 damage, perfect for guaranteed crits on enemies under certain conditions like sleep. - This is a first to me, indeed, 6d10 damage for a lvl 1 spell slot is insane, that averages 33 damage!

Lvl 2:

Spiritual Weapon: Amazing, amazing spell. A bit weaker in BG3 since it has HP and can be killed, but is a great use of bonus action to you.

*Aid: more hitpoints for everyone and it doesn't need concentration, also it increases maximum hit points so can be stacked with temporary hitpoints. - anything that doesn't eat your concentration is gold stuff.

*Enhance Ability: great for dialog checks or pickpocketing as advantage lets you roll twice, also useful for its secondary effects like doubling carry capacity. - Cool, but takes concentration and competes with the more readily usable Guidance. So clerics become the skillmonkey's best friend.

Lvl 3:

Spirit Guardians: Man, this spell. People who aren't too familiar with clerics are not ready for this spell. Concentration, but does radiant damage to every foe that gets 15ft close to you. Slows their movement too. The main draw here is that this spell scales wonderfully. So you can burn a lvl 6 spellslot to do 6d8 radiant damage to every enemy, every turn. That's crazy and this spell is the reason why I consider clerics to be the best class to deal with hordes in the game.

Revivify: Not only you are an amazing blaster, you just don't allow your comrades to die.

Mass Healing Word: there are many items in EA with on heal effects like resistance against all physical damage types or bonus to attack rolls and saves, having a spell for buffing the whole party with a bonus action can be quite good. - True, plus, this can completely revert a seemingly lost battle... with a bonus action.

Lvl 4:

Deathward: Life insurance. Lasts for 8h, no concentration, and when someone downs you, well, they don't and, instead, you are up to 1 HP. Amazing for you since the cleric is the one that want to endure punishment the most.

Lvl 5:

Commune: Great spell in PHB, wonder if it will be added in BG3. Allows you to talk with a supernatural entity who will answers some of your questions. Very hard to implement in a cRPG.

Greater Restoration: Amazing like always. Heals of almost every malaise.

Lvl 6:

Heal: The most staple healing spell, can be a literal lifesaver. Heals up to 70 HP and some annoyng status effects as well!

Heroes Feast: Benefits the whole party for 24h with extra HP and immunities. Great use of a spellslot.
Feats

Ok, so now you have a few options, let me sum it up real briefly to you. Feats are better than stat increases almost every time. That might not be true to every class and build, but its certainly to you. And what you want is, mostly, to not lose your concentration on your spells. There are two feats that help with that:

Resilient (Con): Gives you +1 in Con and proficiency in Con saves. Pretty simple but still stellar. Alternatively, you can start with a class that grants you prof in Con save.

Warcaster: Gorgeous on any caster. Gives advantage on Con saves (huge!), allows you to use your reaction to cast a spell as attack of opportunity (don't know if it will be implemented) and allows you to cast spells with full gear - but I think this is already allowed in BG3. Still, advantage in Con is why you will be taking this.

There are other feats that might help, such as:

Sharpshooter or Great Weapon Master: Do similar things to ranged attacks and two handed attacks, respectively. The main draw is the -5 penalty to attack for a fat +10 to damage that you can opt to take on every attack. You're choosing one or another. But to be blunt with you, they are much better on a martial class than you, unless you go War domain, which makes them fine.

Alert: Helps you get first in combat, quite important.

Observant: Grants you a +1 to Wis and a fat bonus to passive perception. Perception is very often rolled and with a big impact, so this might be gold stuff for you.

Magic Initiate: A great option if you want a bit of goodies from other caster class but isn't willing to multiclass.
Multiclassing

Clerics are great at multiclass, but this is where most people, even veterans, make huge mistakes. Here are some listing.

Don't be so pressured to pick a class with Wis as an important stat. Monks have Wis, but they aren't great at multiclassing and cleric's class features seem to antagonize with monk's, mostly the medium or heavy armor proficiency. Rangers and Druids are fine, but you might wonder if they are not better as full class, and you're probably right.
Don't feel like you need to go full cleric because full casters "suck at multiclassing", they don't, specially cleric. You can have a spellslot progression unharmed if you multiclass into another spellcasting class.
Every caster has a mental stat that is tied to their casting. It doesn't mean this needs to be as high as possible. It all depends on which spells you want to cast. If you want to be a sorcerer on top of cleric, remember that a Sorcerer with 10 Charisma is just as good at casting Shield, Fly and Polymorph (on allies) than a 20 Charisma can. Your save DCs for that class will be too low, and you won't be as good at counterspelling higher level spells though.
Upcasting. Take notes which spells scale awesomely by casting with higher spellslots, because by multiclassing you might end up with things like 6th level spellslot while you don't know a single lvl 6 spell. That means you can only use them when upcasting. Fly, Spiritual Weapon and yes, Spirit Guardians, scale wonderfully. Most spells don't, though.
Know what you want from your other class, or the cleric, and drop out after you got it. Remember, you get the ASI after every 4 levels in a given class, so you might miss it out if you get too entusiastic with multiclassing.

Classes that are amazing for Multiclass

Wizard: Underrated option, wizard is amazing for clerics. Specially in BG3 where you don't need to pay the 13 Int entry tax. A lot of staple spells such as Find Familiar, Fog Cloud and specially Shield are lvl 1 spells that don't require high Int to be functional. Wizards also get some great class features and full spellcasting progression. Rock solid option.
Sorcerer: Amazing option. Similar to wizards, but less spells known and metamagic class feature. Your metamagic will be far more limited than a sorcerer's.
Bard: Another fullcaster. Bard is very skillmonkeyish. Notice you don't get Shield spell though, which makes it inferior to Wiz and Sorc in my opinion. Also, a lot of class features are tied to Bard progression, so a dip here won't be as huge. But if you invest further you can get juicy stuff, such as Magical Secrets. There are some popular builds in tabletop that use this class, such as Life Cleric / Lore Bard.

Classes that are good for Multiclass

Fighter: A dip in fighter is amazing for anyone. Starting as Fighter and then leveling cleric will grant you heavy armor proficiency, in case you go to a domain without it. Action surge at level 2 is the cream at the top.
Druid: Share Wis as spellcasting. Can get you useful cantrips such as Shillelagh. Good stuff, just not great.
Ranger: Can do some casting with Wis, but nothing spectacular. Half-caster, so you might lose some precious spell slot progression.
Paladin: Looks meh, but Paladin can burn spellslots to smite, which is great, tbh. Also grant heavy armor and martial weapons proficiency if you start in it. Looks almost strictly inferior to a Sorcerer/Paladin, but the fact it doesn't require you 13 in Charisma just to pick a paladin makes it a more interesting possibility in BG3.

Classes that are ok for Multiclass

Rogue: Gives you some skills. Sneak attack as well, but your progression will be abysmal compared to a full rogue. Maybe a dip into rogue if you fancy, but won't be a stellar build.
Monk: The reliance on Wis makes a more naive player feel like they found a jackpot in optimization. Ki progression also pushes you into investing in monk more heavily. In truth, monk and cleric can work, but won't be spectacular.

Classes that are bad for Multiclass

Barbarian: Their main shtick is that they rage, which is awful to you because rage breaks concentration and cleric's best spells rely on it. Possibly the worst multiclass option.
Warlock: They get the best cantrip for damage in the whole game, but is tied to Charisma. A lot of class features demand investment. They won't progress your spellcasting. Warlocks multiclass far better with other Cha based class than with clerics.

Multiclass Examples:

> Dip in cleric - No need to heavy investment in Wis, you're picking cleric for some handy class features and some key spells and cantrips (guidance comes to mind)

Life Cleric 1 / Lore Bard 11: Already mentioned, allows you to apply the 2+ spell level healing on a lot of healing spells, some are not avaible to cleric.

Life Cleric 1 / Druid 11: The previous build, but using that cheese on goodberries. You're still playing tame here trying to fulfil the "healer role", which is not the most impressive way to play cleric in my opinion.

Tempest Cleric 2 / Storm Sorcerer 10 OR Evoker Wizard 10: You want to zap. Channel divinity to max lightning damage and scores of enemies can fall in a single casting. Also, you get to use heavy armor, which is great.

> Dip out of cleric - Quite simple, but I don't think it wield impressive results

Fighter 2 / Cleric 10: Neat, but notice you miss lvl 6 spells here. Still, action surge is action surge.

Paladin 2 / Cleric 10: I mean, cool, you get smite. But you might wonder if you are not better with Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 10 instead.

> Spirit Guardian builds - You get Spirit Guardians at level 5 of cleric. What you want here is use it as your main way of dealing damage while using whatever hightest spellslot you get. Very reliable, don't need to go further than lvl 5 in cleric. You mostly want a fullcaster so you can progress further.

Cleric 5 / Wizard 7 - My favorite, gets way too many spells so you'll be a superb utility caster. Shield spell can make you very, very hard to hit. Don't bother casting stuff such as Fireball though, you'll suck at it.

Cleric 5 / Sorcerer 7 - Just as above, but you miss some spells for some limited metamagic. Powerful if you fancy it.

Cleric 5 / Druid 7 - For the naive, it looks stronger than the previous two options. However, the spells you get aren't nearly as helpful for a cleric. Druids love some concentration spells, which are competing for that resource. What they don't love is armor made of metal. The plus here is that druids use Wisdom as their casting stat, but that's not nearly as beneficial as it initially looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest issue of discussion in the larian forums:

"
This is probably something of an odd question, but I know it's something that some people care about. Myself included, obviously. As far as cutscenes or even general dynamics, do we know in the case of male/male pairings which companions force a top or bottom role, or even a dom or sub dynamic? It's something that's unfortunately fairly frequent in the case of LGBTQ+ pairings, that it's often sort of stereotyped based on body type. eg Zevran from Dragon Age: Origins, or Iron Bull from Inquisition. Being forced into a pairing or dynamic that's the complete antithesis of what you're comfortable with often results in being jarred out of the game, or just dropping it entirely. While I'm not expecting Larian to write/design cutscenes for both directions across each companion, it would be good to know ahead of time to avoid dissatisfaction sort of... which corresponds to which? And the answer might be 'wait until the game is out', as that's what I expect to need to do when it comes out to finding out who is okay with a poly relationship and such. Still, figured it couldn't hurt to ask!

"

This is the fandom that Larian actively cultivated.
Somewhere out there is someone who stopped playing DAI because they thought they would top Iron Bull but he ended up fucking their Inquisitor against a wall

3x.webp

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Biggest issue of discussion in the larian forums:

"
This is probably something of an odd question, but I know it's something that some people care about. Myself included, obviously. As far as cutscenes or even general dynamics, do we know in the case of male/male pairings which companions force a top or bottom role, or even a dom or sub dynamic? It's something that's unfortunately fairly frequent in the case of LGBTQ+ pairings, that it's often sort of stereotyped based on body type. eg Zevran from Dragon Age: Origins, or Iron Bull from Inquisition. Being forced into a pairing or dynamic that's the complete antithesis of what you're comfortable with often results in being jarred out of the game, or just dropping it entirely. While I'm not expecting Larian to write/design cutscenes for both directions across each companion, it would be good to know ahead of time to avoid dissatisfaction sort of... which corresponds to which? And the answer might be 'wait until the game is out', as that's what I expect to need to do when it comes out to finding out who is okay with a poly relationship and such. Still, figured it couldn't hurt to ask!

"

This is the fandom that Larian actively cultivated.
Somewhere out there is someone who stopped playing DAI because they thought they would top Iron Bull but he ended up fucking their Inquisitor against a wall

3x.webp
He wants to use power and privilege that game designers have as "Gods" of the pretend world to force iron bull to be the bottom, even though iron bull isn't like that. That's a rape, time to dox this guy before he does any more harm !!

Gradenmayer

Learned
I've been playing dnd 5th edition for almost a decade now and I can safely say I do have some experience specifically in Cleric class more than any other given how many campaigns I played with them. My goal with this post is guide anyone willing to play a cleric Tav or build Shadowheart properly.

Some are new to 5th edition, some to Dungeons and Dragons as a whole. Some are seeing cRPGs genre for the first time. I can say with certainty that not only newcomers, but longtime players don't fully grasp what a cleric can bring to the table. I've played with parties that were shocked with what my character could do... and what he was not good at too, more on that later.

This is an early guide, of course, subject to change in the long run.

Cleric, the basics:

You are a caster, first and foremost. Full spellcasting. You can go to the frontline, but you are not a fighter, nor you should try to be (unless you multiclass).
You start out decent at frontlining. Medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency and some decent HP can make you stay in combat longer than your typical caster. Some domains can give you heavy armor proficiency or even martial weapon proficiency, so bear that in mind.
Wisdom is your main stat. Its keyed to your best class features and spells, and determine your spellcasting DC or Atk. Constitution is very important as well. As a third place its likely either Str or Dex.
Clerics are frontloaded. What that means is, your best features are in the early levels. You still get a lot of nice things, but the biggest stapples of the class you can find in the first 5 levels. What that means is that clerics can do wonderful multiclasses (more on that later)……………………………
Got it. 12 levels into Monk it is.

MerchantKing

Learned
Cool it with the Blasphemous remarks. Bestiality is forbidden by G-d. Rather it's this European pagan revival which is the source of this nonsense.

What? Are you implying The Jews aren't behind it all? Has the Codex been lying to me all these years?

:stunned:
Yes. You have been lied to. Jews are not behind this. In fact, we're the reason why you stopped performing acts of bestiality as it's forbidden in our Torah.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hey hey maybe Larinan's success will make Bioware actually put effort with the new DA
If its already halfway or more done, not like they can redesign it from scratch.

Bioware and Larian trying to one-up each other over who can make the most degenerate sex scenes?
Dragon Age trilogy vs Witcher trilogy was a fun long war on /v/.

Robber Baron

Savant
I'm just thinking they could ditch the dogshit MMO combat system they had since 2 and return to RTWP seeing as people BUY turn-based games

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey hey maybe Larinan's success will make Bioware actually put effort with the new DA
The only conclusion BioWare could come away with is that furries and more transgender options will save their game.

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
Well well well gaybois, BG3 is currently the best selling game on steam
And which games are it's rivals in the catalogue?

Destiny 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Lost Ark, Black Desert..

What an achievement for BG3. There is nothing else to consume right now and BG3 is only filling in until the next big AAA hype-shitfest.

Fact is, the Gaming industry is in bad shape. Just poor choices all around, including what's currently trending. There is not a single game on the top 10 list on Steam worth playing. It is ALL TRASH!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom