Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Let’s not pretend D&D 5 is balanced as well when Clerics and Wizards exist.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
About the actual game, I had the time to skim through Larian's livestream from a few weeks ago (on 2x speed) instead of just watching clips.

Some interesting things I noticed that we haven't talked about much due to the thread's consuming fascination with ursine romance:

Corruption influence quests similar to helping Anomen choose whether to be LG or CN, is possible with all the companions in BG3. If they are on an evil route, it will change their influence reactions to your choices.

Anyone in a multiplayer game can apparently pick an origin character, meaning that you can have one person play Astarion and another Shadowheart. (Or pick the bearsex druid and play it straight, denying the furfags in your party their prize.) I think this is old info that I didn't actually realize until now, since origin characters weren't in the early access without hacks.

The artifact Shadowheart is carrying is responsible for allowing you to escape the Absolute's control.

Last edited:

Kiste

Augur
I gotta say, I stepped in the BG3 reddit and came out of there covered in cum. These guys are just cumming perpetually about the game, they just cannot wait for the release

I've already gone through three rolls of paper towels myself and it's still 2 weeks to release. Plz halp.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My opinion: The Ring of the Ram is probably the most OP, because it can damage a Demi-Lich, interrupt spellcasting and push it. (also 5d6 dmg is pretty good, too)
Don't the liches just die from two flame strikes or whatever you call that pillar of fire spell cleric's have and that one sword lets you cast x amount of times a day. Regardless of what spell defenses they have up?
If they see you, they're probably going to cast Spell Trap, in which case, you might want to cast other stuff, so you don't waste your spells. If they don't see you, then it's a waste to use the spells, when you can just have your martial classes crush them.

Either way, superfluous.

In the case of Kangaxx, he will glitch if he doesn't see anyone. His dialogue won't trigger upon his... first death (?). Technically second, because mortal... lich... then demi-lich. Anyway, semantics aside, you need to have 1 character he can address when you dismantle him the first time. In which case, you can do whatever you want. Personally, I like you use Khelben's to take his stuff off, first. Then a sequencer to take of his physical protections, and then let the martials whack at him.

Then when he gets back up, use Melf's Meteors + both Rings of the Ram. (yes, I like to "cheat" and get two - sue me)

If you play your cards right, and if you maybe have some anti-undead weapons, he should be dead before he does any major damage. Obviously, Prot. from Abj. on whoever he has aggro on. We wouldn't want unnecessary 9th level spell slots wasted, right? Also... his imprisonments can sometimes break romances. Like Jaheira's. If you care about that sort of thing.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Not sure if it's been posted already but this thread is making the rounds on gamedev twitter.

https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/07/12/baldurs-gate-3-new-standard-for-rpg-genre-opinions
:lol:

It's been making the rounds, yeah.
It's utter cope if you ask me. Other studios and publishers should (rightfully) be shaking in their boots and be held accountable for releasing shit games.

Yeah. Larian was able to make a very good pathfinding algorithm in DOS 1&2. Companions can traverse huge levels from one side to another without deadlocks. Furthermore, they are able to avoid all the visible traps and go around the dangerous terrains like normal people.
Yes, this is an anomaly in a world where Bioware was considered the state of the art.

Kiste

Augur
Yeah. Larian was able to make a very good pathfinding algorithm in DOS 1&2. Companions can traverse huge levels from one side to another without deadlocks. Furthermore, they are able to avoid all the visible traps and go around the dangerous terrains like normal people.
Yes, this is an anomaly in a world where Bioware was considered the state of the art.
The pathfinding seems to not work entirely realiably when jumping is involved. It works most of the time but sometimes it doesn't. Might have something to do with jump distance. There are definately some cases when you have to babysit your party.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Otoh, their insistence on the chain system when click-and-drag or shift-click selecting is strictly superior in every way is kind of baffling. It’s Larian’s Jar-Jar - most of DOS’ and BG3’s interface manipulation is fine if a little clunky, but the chain system is just an unnecessary complication of something that had a perfect solution in 1996

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

Shrimp

Arbiter

Otoh, their insistence on the chain system when click-and-drag or shift-click selecting is strictly superior in every way is kind of baffling. It’s Larian’s Jar-Jar - most of DOS’ and BG3’s interface manipulation is fine if a little clunky, but the chain system is just an unnecessary complication of something that had a perfect solution in 1996
Larian is such a weird company because while they have the talent and experience to make excellent RPGs they have this weird caveat where for everything they do right they also insist on counterweighing it by adding some of their homebrewed systems that actively make for a worse experience
I can't figure out if it's Swen single-handedly pushing his own ideas through at the top level of discussions or planning meetings or if they just have a group of designers that genuinely think they know better in all matters
When they'll eventually get around to making D:OS3 I hope it'll be with a new engine that allows for more traditional controls

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Again, this is another moment of criticizing BG3 for something BG1 & 2 did themselves, if not did worse.
Let me get this straight - cricisim of BG3 isn't allowed if the completely unrelated as story and gamepay two games from 20+ years ago had the same flaw as the one being criticized?

Wow, that's what "discussing the game" is like, huh? :lol:
You straight up said it wasn’t a thing in BG2 dumbass

in a game where unlike BG/BG2 you can already raise your attribute scores with feats, is a bit much.
No, I didn't. I actually said the opposite. How bad is reading comprehension around here? :lol:

"in a game where unlike BG/BG2 you can already raise your attribute cores with feats, it is a bit much" - In BG3 (due to 5E) you can raise your attribute scores with feats, whereas in BG/BG2 (due to AD&D 2), you can not raise your attribute scores.

This isn't the flaw I'm talking about. The flaw, if we accept it as such, is having items which set your ability score to a high value. BG/BG2 have, if I remember right, items that set your STR, or DEX, or CHA to 18. So, it's a thing in the old games (where you can't raise your attributes with feats), but also in the new game (where indeed you can raise your attributes with feats). That's what my point is.

Last edited:

havox

Novice
Wow speaking about schizos lunatics lol.
On one hand Trashfire set a REALLY low bar, making a worse cRPG will be tough, but then again BG3 just might do it.
Everything about it looks so bad, the vomit inducing color scheme from DOS1/DOS2, the bendy corridors maps, the Bioware-tier companions, the combat based on already bad 5e ruleset where devs had brainstorming what additions to make to make it even worse, the degeneracy. Belgian degenerates just might pull it off, I have faith.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Wow speaking about schizos lunatics lol.
On one hand Trashfire set a REALLY low bar, making a worse cRPG will be tough, but then again BG3 just might do it.
Everything about it looks so bad, the vomit inducing color scheme from DOS1/DOS2, the bendy corridors maps, the Bioware-tier companions, the combat based on already bad 5e ruleset where devs had brainstorming what additions to make to make it even worse, the degeneracy. Belgian degenerates just might pull it off, I have faith.
Like I said, some of the 4chan lunatics are itt already...

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Who the fuck plays the steaming pile of balance that Pillars of Eternity is and then goes on to think Deadfire will somehow be better?

My most memorable moment of PoE was sacrificing the faggot henchmen for a statboost at some blood pool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom