Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay at D&D Live 2020

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bethesda has tread this awful ground before, and ruined a great RPG IP. I am hoping that won't happen here, but I see they are already on the path that leads to a bitter enmity from another lost IP.

This is just a silly comparison. The dynamic surrounding these games is totally different, even ignoring the fact that one of them is a popamole action-RPG and the other is turn-based.

Fallout 3 - announced in 2004, just three years after the last isometric Fallout game. The developer who made the original and was working on a sequel only recently shut down. Troika still around, Obsidian recently founded. Turn-based RPGs are dead, RTwP is king, consoles are rising. In short, an environment with lots of hardcore RPG player angst and a strong sense that things could have been different.

Baldur's Gate 3 - announced in 2019, almost two decades after the last Baldur's Gate game. In the middle of an oldschool RPG glut, with new games of every variety coming out every month and the IE successor niche specifically well catered to by the Pathfinder games and before that Pillars of Eternity. The original developer now discredited, so nobody believes the BioWare guys or any company related to them (eg Beamdog) could have made the game instead.

And then there's the fact that Baldur's Gate isn't really an "IP" in the same way that Fallout was. If you care that much about getting something more similar to the original IE formula, there's always the chance of a different game set in the Forgotten Realms/D&D universe. Some would argue that Pathfinder is already that.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... rather entertainingly written goblins.

:nocountryforshitposters:
6loyltl.gif

IfewVRQ.gif

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The graphics look too much like Original Sin for it to feel like its own game. Every-time i see it in action just looks like a DOS sequel, and thats not a good thing.
Everytime I look at it and I think that it looks to much like D:OS 2, that reminds me that it means an incredibly optimized engine with no loading times that can run in a surprisingly good way even on my shitty computer.

They just have to drop the excessive visual effects they are using for every single action.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Why the hell are they constantly running around with a single character using a wacky 3rd person camera? The isometric and party based is what I came for.

V_K

Arcane
The graphics are great, the writing seems entertaining, and the level design in particular is spectacular, making constant use of verticality. The D&D ruleset means that many of our biggest issues with Larian's previous games are no longer a factor. And yes, the game's dialogue options are written normally now.
D&D 5e + sudden appearance of verticallity - hmm, I hope Solasta devs will manage to get their game out before this, it sure looks like Latian is trying to steal their thunder.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(playing D:OS 1&2 with non-retarded dialog responses would have been great)

D:OS had normal dialogue, just coming from two different characters. 2 was the one where Swen decided there should be no direct dialogue.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Looking good.

Hopefully we'll have an initiative system that works this time and no retarded armor system.

Darkzone

Arcane
I am still on constant edge however watching the dialogue between the 'men' in the campfire scenes.... I can't relax or shake the feeling that at any moment one of them is going to whip out their cock and the other one is going to start going to town on it.
The degenerates have gotten into your cabeza. Get this mierda out and stop watching Brockeback Mountain.

This looks like DOS2, but the DnD 5E rules make it a presumably a better game, since also there is the DnD vibe.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Turn and party based crpg automatically counts as potential incline in my book. DOS1 bored me in about 3 hours though and never played 2, so leaving at "potential" at this point.

But what's the part that's supposed to make this Baldur's Gate 3? Seems like a Fallout 3 or Dungeon Siege 3 scenario, only without the game itself being made by amateurs.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Turn and party based crpg automatically counts as potential incline in my book. DOS1 bored me in about 3 hours though and never played 2, so leaving at "potential" at this point.

But what's the part that's supposed to make this Baldur's Gate 3? Seems like a Fallout 3 or Dungeon Siege 3 scenario, only without the game itself being made by amateurs.
WotC's license, I guess.

There will definitely be a plot link between this game and the rest of the Baldur's Gate series, they don't want to reveal it just yet. It remains the question of whether this link will be complete shit and the answer will probably be: yes.

Murk

Arcane
I really don´t get presentations of this game. Swen is all over the place because of his metaknowledge of game and it is not fun. This is cool, that is cool, lets do this and run over there and nothing seems to have natural game flow thanks to this.

It's awkward, but I'll take this much more realistic presentation over a heavily prepared semi-scripted display of gameplay any time.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This is just a silly comparison.
I disagree.

Fallout 3 - announced in 2004, just three years after the last isometric Fallout game. The developer who made the original and was working on a sequel only recently shut down. Troika still around, Obsidian recently founded. Turn-based RPGs are dead, RTwP is king, consoles are rising. In short, an environment with lots of hardcore RPG player angst and a strong sense that things could have been different.
That is overly simplified. It's not just the combat mechanics, but also the general precepts of the game are almost polar opposite to Fallout. If you cannot make the game right—don't make it.

Baldur's Gate 3 - announced in 2019, almost two decades after the last Baldur's Gate game. In the middle of an oldschool RPG glut, with new games of every variety coming out every month and the IE successor niche specifically well catered to by the Pathfinder games and before that Pillars of Eternity. The original developer now discredited, so nobody believes the BioWare guys or any company related to them (eg Beamdog) could have made the game instead.
Uh huh... As before: If you cannot make the game right—don't make it. This should have been anything but BG#3; This could have been Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2—and the name would have even fit; although... that would be its own can-of-worms. This game (despite considerable merit) is wrong for an official BG3.

And then there's the fact that Baldur's Gate isn't really an "IP" in the same way that Fallout was. If you care that much about getting something more similar to the original IE formula, there's always the chance of a different game set in the Forgotten Realms/D&D universe. Some would argue that Pathfinder is already that.
There is a good parallel here with Warhammer 40k. All (or nearly all?) of the W40k games use the same IP... and yet Spacemarine does not make for a decent Dawn of War sequel; nor vice versa. Each series has its own distinct style of presented experience, and they are not interchangeable simply for both being good games. One is not at all like the other; and this is easily seen with FO3 —and with Larian's BG3.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I do not. I am not looking for rage; I was looking for a triptic... and sadly am not going to find one.

*I will say that 'right' (as used above), is not an opinion; in the same way that one could say that what makes a hammer & pipe wrench is not a matter of opinion; styles differ a bit, but it's either right or wrong. You can hit a nail with a pipe wrench, but that doesn't make it a hammer. You can roleplay in Larian's game, but that doesn't make it Baldur's Gate. It doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate. Play Baldur's Gate; combat and other mechanics all put aside, just in the exploration of the landscape something has been lost; also the lack of available party size, the loss of the character sheet /w full portraits (theirs looks akin to the Menzo/Stone Prophet inventory screen—minus the portraits)... The slick graphic-design UI —as opposed to an illustrated UI... It all makes the game look like something that was adapted to become a BG sequel, rather than having been built from the ground up as one—with a connected foundation from BG1&2.

The game I see is essentially a DragonAge clone; that's not bad thing in and of itself—but AS the official BG3? Yes, that's a bad thing IMO. If you took Swen's gameplay video, muted his commentary, and stripped out the [excellent] Baldur's Gate III logo graphics, I think it could pass as a preview for a future DragonAge title... That's not good.

Why the hell are they constantly running around with a single character using a wacky 3rd person camera? The isometric and party based is what I came for.
If it's in the game... (as an option?) then I'd assume that it's defensive PR, to sell the game to those mainstreamers who are less likely to buy it on name alone, and who might outright scoff at it if they saw the iso-3D view.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don’t get the edgy comments about this one, even if it is a Baldur’s Gate flavored coat of paint on Divinity Original Sin it looks and plays better than 95% of the shit developed nowadays. I mean this is a site built on Nostalgia ie the glory’s of the past versus the disappointment of today, but maybe that is what’s keeping some people from enjoying good modern games just for what they are

I honestly believe Larian is one of the few good developers made by geeks for geeks rather than the massive group tested wide as the ocean deep as a puddle crap created by Bethesda nowadays and I for one are willing to give them the benefit of doubt for this one and hope they stick the landing

Ol'man

Educated
Wow, it looks really solid. Like, how did they come far since the last stream, solid.

I think they play kind of fast and loose with the distance a player can cover on a turn, even using misty step etc and a few other things, but no where near deserving of a heap of nitpicky complaints. Looking forward to EA.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I really don’t get the edgy comments about this one, even if it is a Baldur’s Gate flavored coat of paint on Divinity Original Sin it looks and plays better than 95% of the shit developed nowadays.
This should not matter; painting a DO:S title with the BG name is selling it on the name rather than the contents. Games (series) have earned reputations, not just brand recognition, and slapping a famous name on something with little to no familiarity, or relation is a disservice to the fanbase. Misguided at best; disingenuous at worst.

Imagine if the official TES6 were a to release as a Planescape Torment or Witcher clone (any Witcher game, but using a modern engine). Would the game be great? Probably; would it be fun to play? Probably, but would it be TES? Just because a game is great does not mean that it's a good fit to an established series that it bears little relationship. Would this BG3 game be suitable to rebrand as Witcher 4, or Planescape 2? In Witcher you play as Geralt; in Planescape you play only as Nameless. In both games, your choices matter—and IMPOSE on your freedom. That's basically 180° flip on established TES gameplay.

I mean this is a site built on Nostalgia ie the glory’s of the past versus the disappointment of today, but maybe that is what’s keeping some people from enjoying good modern games just for what they are...
It's not nostalgia, it's deceptive naming practices. It's like buying Vegemite —after the brand gets bought by Sara Lee foods, and is reformulated to compete with Nutella.

nutella%26vegemite.jpg

*If these things taste the same, something is terribly wrong!

I honestly believe Larian is one of the few good developers made by geeks for geeks rather than the massive group tested wide as the ocean deep as a puddle crap created by Bethesda nowadays...
I agree.

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
This should not matter; painting a DO:S title with the BG name is selling it on the name rather than the contents. Games (series) have earned reputations, not just brand recognition, and slapping a famous name on something with little to no familiarity, or relation is a disservice to the fanbase. Misguided at best; disingenuous at worst.

I understand you, but what are you gonna do about it? The best thing you can do is not buy/play it if you wanna show some of respect to the name. The businessman don't care about it, and even for developers is difficult to not fall in the temptation and arrogance of doing his own version of a respected creation.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't have been able to imagine feeling this disinterested in a third Baldur's Gate a couple of years ago. Betrayal fatigue from previous actual and spiritual successors to Baldur's Gate and other cRPGs is a significant part of it but even so...
this is the lukewarmest tapwater in a sort presentable public toilet where the smell of urine only vaguely comes through due the overpowering smell of the generic brand cleaning products that have been splattered excessively over every surface in the stall while the urine itself still lies in a puddle in front of the toilet bowel. I sense the urine while sipping the tapwater but not enough to make me nauseous. It's the smell of cleaning product that makes me stop drawing air in through my nose while drinking. I leave this place and never look back.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well, let me contrast that exceedingly unnecessarily dramatic and empty-rhetoric-filled post of yours, Plane Escapee, with what might be a bit of a surprise to some by throwing some well-deserved praise at Swen instead.

In the main BG3 thread I came to the initial conclusion that this game looked like shit. I stand by that conclusion made at the time, but after allowing myself to be a little more open-minded and patient with this newest glimpse of the game, I now would like to officially reverse course: I was wrong.

There is something very interesting going on with Larian and Baldur's Gate 3, something that could actually wind up being special. I know it's still early, and many mistakes could still and certainly will still be made in its development, but even at this pre-alpha stage I can see what it is I'm referring to: the merger of what Larian has done with D:OS 2 and a Dungeons and Dragons game is actually... working. What?

Yes, that's right. Even the previously-silly mechanic of, for example, moving boxes around with your telepathic abilities in DOS:2 makes much more sense in this game. As the video showed, sometimes characters may need to improvise to reach some ledge and that's the kind of thing we've (or at least I've) always sort of wished computer D&D simulators could do. Finally we can climb walls, attempt things like jumping chasms (I'm assuming the mechanics of jumping illustrated so far are at least mostly in-line with the official D&D rules -- I'm trusting Swen not to venture too far out of the rulebook on these things) and other feats simply not possible given previous games' engines' limitations.

Other things that seem to mesh well with what D:OS 2 was doing and what this game is offering include the reactivity of surfaces or materials or objects with elements such as fire. D:OS 1 was heavily criticized for relying way too much on those water puddles and spells to make us feel clever when we electrocuted enemies. It was bland and trite and stupid back then. But D:OS 2 got a little better at it and now, with BG3, it all seems to make sense. I hope I'm not wrong about this, as I hate clever little tricks like that in what I consider to be "serious" roleplaying games, but unless I'm crazy, it seems like Swen is taking these things a little more seriously now?

Yes, there's still some wonkiness going on. Some of the acting and animations might be a little over the top. But I can handle a little of that. It's what I'd interpret as the DM waving his arms around and mimicking what he'd think the NPC or creature in question might sound like. Sure, okay, make me smirk a little with your British-sounding goblins, as long as you're not taking too much creative license with my precious nerdy D&D lore we'll be fine..

As has already been mentioned, the verticality and adaptability in combat looks quite delicious. The size even of the demo shown is impressive. The advice to explore everything to be rewarded is inciting. This game just looks, already, like it's asking me to play it.

Again, I sure hope I'm not wrong.

But, for now, Swen, if you happen to read this, I take it back. Don't fuck this up. You won me back, for now, and you could be on to something here.

Usually I hate it when I'm wrong, but not this time.

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
The graphics are great, the writing seems entertaining, and the level design in particular is spectacular, making constant use of verticality. The D&D ruleset means that many of our biggest issues with Larian's previous games are no longer a factor. And yes, the game's dialogue options are written normally now.
D&D 5e + sudden appearance of verticallity - hmm, I hope Solasta devs will manage to get their game out before this, it sure looks like Latian is trying to steal their thunder.
Best case scenario we get two good games. But I dislike all product from Larian personally* so I have better hope for Solasta. Maybe Larian they will surprise me this time (I hope)!
*I know I will be downvoted to hell because of this

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Think we will be able to play this on an iPad? Looks like we should be able to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom