Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"Choice & Consequence"
I killed Shadowheart in Act 1.
In Act 3, Viconia wants Shadowheart for herself or there's no deal with you.
Well I can't give it to her, so... she goes hostile anyway. For no reason.

Great scripting and writing.
Sounds like you made the choice to kill a character, and suffered the consequence of a different character not approving your prior deeds.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"Choice & Consequence"
I killed Shadowheart in Act 1.
In Act 3, Viconia wants Shadowheart for herself or there's no deal with you.
Well I can't give it to her, so... she goes hostile anyway. For no reason.

Great scripting and writing.
Followed by:

You kill Viconia, find Shadowheart's parents hanging from a torture device. You can't free them. It was supposed to happen in a cutscene with SH present.

"Reactivity".

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You would think that after 7 months, they would've fixed the bugs, but I spent half a day googling how to overcome this or that bug in act 3.

Valeria disappears after the fight with Sarevok, doesn't let you finish the quest
An unreachable lever under Thronbo's house
Viconia bugs out if knocked unconscious without SH present. Or they just didn't write any dialogue for this scenario.

This is all so basic, that even if you let one QA employee play, he'll stumble on it. But they just dropped the ball after release. Acts 1 and 2 are polished, Act 3 never will be in a decent state, looks like.

It's also very unbalanced - in act 3 you wreck everyone like a bulldozer even on tactician, the challenge is gone. I haven't lost a fight in Act 3 once. Before that, the Kethric's two fights were almost unbeatable on tactician without cheesing/save scumming.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
codex.png
I am sorry, mr. Winkler, but you will not shut our mouths with fuckable devils, vampires and gay frogs, oh no you won't!

Are they fuckable though? That is the question. It's even a step down from Skyrim. Show me the tits and ass.

Edit: just not the bear ass.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The epic battle in Hell is accompanied by a special theme where the devil Rafael, the antagonist, sings specifically about your situation:

I loved it. Except the song kept getting interrupted whenever my characters would step out of the room where the battle was going on (a valid part of the strategy). Another major bug ruining the experience, not fixed 7 months in.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The epic battle in Hell is accompanied by a special theme where the devil Rafael, the antagonist, sings specifically about your situation:

I loved it. Except the song kept getting interrupted whenever my characters would step out of the room where the battle was going on (a valid part of the strategy). Another major bug ruining the experience, not fixed 7 months in.

Sounds like Tim Curry doing a musical. Like the devil character he voiced in Legend suddenly spouting into song.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Just when I think the game can't possibly be any cringier, that the levels of depravity have reached their very maximum, someone makes a post about baldur's gate which surprises me yet again. I could only listen for 58 seconds before I started peeling the skin from my forehead with my fingernails. This is truly the gayest piece of media ever conceived.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The end really exposes the "reactivity". You can roll 20 on 4 checks in a row against the elder brain, it plays exactly the same cutscene no matter how many you succeed or fail.

kigmathelm

Literate
Tieflings being a goody two shoes race is the lamest and gayest thing ever. I feel dirty for even reaching act 3 in this game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Finished the game. The later the content, the worse it got.

The fights got progressively easier, until the very final battle, which was supposed to be "epic", but was the ultimate walk in the park.
In the early fights you'd often drink *all* the potions, look through inventory in panic, try to find scrolls that would help a little.
The final fight? I think I used 3 potions. I had 20 with me. I had 6-7 allied groups to call for help, I used 1.

It looks like the ending was written without any enthusiasm or time. "Let's just wrap this shit up any which way" is the feeling you get.
It was emotionally fake. It's especially obvious after the Crocus City Hall massacre in Moscow. The entire country is shocked and demoralized after 150+ people were killed. Yet in Baldur's Gate, after basically a humongous terrorist attack at the end of the game with thousands of dead, everyone's cheery and only talk about "rebuilding". Let's not spoil the mood of the player, he finished the game after all, yay! Good job, playername!
It felt so disingenuous, it's hard to describe. The authors dropped the ball hard. Suddenly the world doesn't live its life in BG, it exists to serve the player. Who cares if half the city is dead? Not a single NPC, that's who.
All they had to do was keep up the suspension of disbelief for another 10-20 minutes, after doing it for 80 hours. But they messed it up.

Another turd in the bed in act 3: As soon as you enter lower city, the narrative rushes you to go straight for the end quest, suggesting there's a timer. It would make you skip 90% of the content of the act. But there's no timer. If I hadn't read on reddit that I need to do it LAST, I would've missed everything.

Acts 1 and 2 are okay. Act 3 is a disgrace in terms of gameplay, the narrative and the quality assurance. The Hell fight is the only redeeming episode.

Last edited:

goregasm

Scholar
I have been fairly interested in picking this, the second pathfinder game, and Rogue Trader up- because big newer rpgs- but backlog is so huge it would be spending money for nothing other than giving apparent degenerates money according to a fair amount of opinions here and elsewhere.

jackofshadows

Magister
It looks like the ending was written without any enthusiasm or time. "Let's just wrap this shit up any which way" is the feeling you get.
Sven confirmed this recently: they were in a hurry because they actually wanted to release before Slopfield. So it shows.

Overall yeah, the ending is very messy and rushed. Especially bad are looking various cut-scenes of crushing nautiloids left and right, ships etc when you have such really high-quality intro of the game. But why waste money on outsourcing end movie-like sequence when you can hack something like that in instead.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Leafing through the artbook. Shadowheart used to look beautiful in concept art before someone intentionally made her ugly.

e139b4907a5954941d08d6715eac27da.jpg

3b75779326e0f2fff63d6705b251600e.jpg

Astarion didn't look like a fag, until someone decided to make him into one:
ae4e21e3981e2e9f875283d139161df0.jpg

Same with Gale:
96c743cc8e84ed7f7129f77d3a3769f6.jpg

I had to kill them all because of the agenda.

Karlach used to look like a white woman originally:
9d351e93a926a5c47c9d145ac5e90630.png

Swen: "ESG called, make her POC"
Artist:
f96d89a140e5c387e0eae152bf3547a1.png

Swen: "Jesus fuck, a black woman with a teeth necklace like an African cannibal, are you trying to get us cancelled? Make her Asian"
Thus Asian Karlach went into the game.

Halsin didn't have that faggot twinkle in his eyes originally, looked like Brendan Gleeson:
6ba5f60a515757db10f6612035b5b601.jpg

Raphael looked like a proper devil
71a4c0d648f61dd67bbb1b58551d7263.jpg

I'm gonna cry, Minthara didn't look like a trap, but a normal woman
c3ad6a685a85dc639a77319104533c43.png

bea51547e0a71cc1df3b5bb15fb57b3b.jpg

Other than injecting poz, all other characters were implemented more or less like they were conceived, no serious changes.
It really shows you that the agenda dick was injected between BG's ass cheeks at a specific stage in development.

Another sad loss is there was going to be a world map:
dc2c0d64b76fea9e0a6e1bde0ae75c2c.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What do you already hate the most about bg3?
DnD 5th edition style multiclassing and respeccing.

The system works fine for single classes, but is too rigid for multiclassing. Martial characters suffer greatly from any multiclassing prior to level 6 (because not having Extra Attack ASAP is a huge handicap). Various characters suffer from not starting either as 1 of the 3 classes with the Constitution Saving Throw Proficiency (cause its a huge boon to upkeep of spell Concentration), from a skill monkey class (cause usually other classes get fewer skill proficiencies, with worse selection) or with Heavy Armor Proficiency (because certain classes only get it on 1st level).
Some subclasses seem entirely unsuitable for multiclassing (except for a tiny dip, maybe) - like Rangers: Hunter and Beastmaster, plus Moon Druid.

This disturbs me a lot and makes me feel like I need to respec my character every 2 levels to have the optimal build at the given level...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Leafing through the artbook. Shadowheart used to look beautiful in concept art before someone intentionally made her ugly.
A shame. These designs do look great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom