Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cael

Arcane
Most people's assumptions are based on some sort of logic but the train of thought, no matter how well structured, is moving in a direction that may be different from the reality of the game.
Maybe so, but I've always cited where my suspicions stem from, and it's not so difficult to read between the lines with the info that we do have.

That's the thing - with the info we have so far, it's impossible to read between the lines.
Mainly because there are no lines to read.

Sentinel

Arcane
"I want you to be able to see the combat before I tell you what it'll be like, otherwise we'll have months of fan raging"

(Would not be a big deal with real time with pause or even turn based combat)

Props to the Germans for asking the right questions unlike the shallow Americans. The right non-answer is an answer in itself.
That tells us nothing. It just as easily points towards it being turn-based and people being upset that it's not RTwP like the original.

Sure, but it's not the first time that Swen suggested that BG3 will be different from what we expected.
"Expected" here might mean RTwP, since the prequels use RTwP and BG started the RTwP craze. So if it's turn-based, it's definitely different than we expected.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most people's assumptions are based on some sort of logic but the train of thought, no matter how well structured, is moving in a direction that may be different from the reality of the game.
Maybe so, but I've always cited where my suspicions stem from, and it's not so difficult to read between the lines with the info that we do have.

That's the thing - with the info we have so far, it's impossible to read between the lines.
The team size is a known.
The trailer being in-engine is a known
Swen's dancing around the answer about the combat system and perspective is obvious.
The fact they have never been silent about any past game in such a way is verifiable.

So, "analyze this". It's more than enough.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Do cite the source that says the trailer is in-engine because that sounds like absolute bollocks.
What? It looked like a simple CG render to me. Was there a comfirmation about this?
No, my bad. I misinterpreted "render trailer". There is no confirmation.
Thank God. That would really nail the coffin for this project. This way there is still hope. I want to believe!

Quillon

Arcane
Baldur's Gate 3: First gameplay at Gamescom? Larian reveals plans

For Swen Vincke, whose team earned a lot of praise for the turn-based combat system in Divinity: Original Sin 2 , the question of the combat system is not something he wants to put to the vote, even though Baldur's Gate 3 is a kind of beta test or early-access before release Phase should go through .

We're going to introduce it [in a video] and say, "We'll do it." We're not going to change it, whether the bouts are turn-based or in real-time with a break or we're making a racing game out of Baldur's Gate 3. It's always going to be Giving someone who disagrees, for whatever reason, that's why it's so important to be able to show the fights: That's what they look like, that's how they play themselves, and then we do the same. "

I told ya so!!

wait adapted rules? this won't be turn based? or atleast RTwP? is this some akshun popamole shit??

latest rumors point to it being a racing game.

lol Swen actually reads codex?

Few 100,000? L0L

That said, it is always amusing to see people work on a game series and system they so clearly hate.

Why should I be excited about a game being made by people who hate BG and D&D? LMAO

This 'unfun' game has been attracting players, fans, and gamers for decades. LMAO
why does this keep happening?

why can't someone who likes D&D actually make a D&D game? is that totally crazy? First josh, now sven. I actually think the fat stuffed animal sex abuser sven was towing around with him to all those interviews from Hasbro or wizards of the coast or D&D or whatever does not seem to particularly like D&D all that much either...seems more like an anime, figurine, magic the gathering type who sort of fell into it some how...

Last edited:
My prediction: it will be shit but lots of people will eat it and ask for more, aka fallout 3 scenario.
At this point all the bits of interviews just keep confirming that.
well that wont be me. I still have never played fallout 3 or 4 or even new vegas.

I actually almost bought new vegas yesterday on steam summer sale, looked at some screen shots and saw some stupid robots with one wheel rolling around with a gun or something you are supposed to be shooting at and it was enough to ward it off, looked really retarded

edit:

yes infinitron fallout 3/FNV are both very old which is one of the reasons I am so hesitant to bother with them.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Friendly reminder that WOTC is owned by Hasbro and these were the last new official licensed DND games:

They are even less interested in making a deep DND game than Larian.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That tells us nothing. It just as easily points towards it being turn-based and people being upset that it's not RTwP like the original.

a) they removed the turn-based tag from Steam themselves
b) "We wanted to be more faithful to the rules so we made the switch to turn-based"

We already went through the rtwp vs turn-based thing with Tides of Numenera, it really wasn't all that severe. In the end, it wasn't the combat system people cared about.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW, WotC also has multiple unannounced "publishing" titles, not only "licensing" titles like those games and BG3: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alisonluhrs/

• PUBLISHING: Narrative Design Lead for three unannounced publishing titles
LICENSING: Co-Lead for Baldur's Gate 3

Narrative Designer for Wizards of the Coast Digital Publishing. In this role I partner closely with other designers and producers to create game worlds where story is core to the player experience. My responsibility is to drive an innovative story vision that is central to one of WOTC’s digital publishing titles.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love how some people think our assumptions are random, i.e. they can't read between the lines, or think there isn't enough info to read between them, i.e. they can't into context and indirect clues.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright Sherlock, keep writing pages of theories based on what you "read between the lines".
Btw my main point was that I didn't log in for a week and there were 100 pages more of NOTHING. There is zero new information, just people theorycrafting

I still put odds in favor of a turn based system. The fact that Larian was picked to restart this sacred series wasn't coincidental. It's also a AAA game, so it will be released on console. The inferiority of consoles requires a turn based interface. Swen being coy could be a bad sign, but I think they are attempting to avoid the backlash of deviating from RTwP and into TB.

There are only two issues that give me doubts. First, is that Larian said that D&D 5E didn't work. It's one thing to say they adapted it, and another to say it doesn't work in a CRPG. The second is the awkward mollusk that Swen keeps in tow from WotC. I've come to learn that this charmless creature, who thought a Beholder was an Illithid, is responsible for a great deal of 4E D&D. When acknowledging that 4E was the World of Warcraft version of D&D, coupled with the dubious claim that 5E doesn't translate digitally, and I am clutched with silent horror. I try not to think about it too much.

Last edited:
My prediction: it will be shit but lots of people will eat it and ask for more, aka fallout 3 scenario.
At this point all the bits of interviews just keep confirming that.
well that wont be me. I still have never played fallout 3 or 4 or even new vegas.

I actually almost bought new vegas yesterday on steam summer sale, looked at some screen shots and saw some stupid robots with one wheel rolling around with a gun or something you are supposed to be shooting at and it was enough to ward it off, looked really retarded
is new vegas fun? I just feel like I won't like it. I did not like witcher III, Dragons Dogma, Mount N Blade, and all for the same reason..the fighting was just too arcade like. It was not like an RPG, it was based too much on you dodging and blocking and parrying and there was too much of it and it overwhelmed the character, meaning it felt more like donkey kong to me than an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom