Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dodo1610

Arcane
There's absolutely no chance they won't have at least all the base classes and races.
Why? How do you know this?

Ranger class is already confirmed
Even garbage like Sword Coast Legend had basic races and classes. Of course, BG3 will have them all.

And there is that quote from Swen
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-baldurs...-rules-of-the-tabletop-games-theyre-adapting/

"We've done a lot more than people expect, I think," he continues. Still, cuts have to be made. "We made a list of everything that's in the Player's Handbook, and we coded it green, orange, red. Green, meaning [we can use it as-written]. Orange, needs change. Red, impossible—or maybe not impossible, but we'd have to make a completely new game just to support this feature."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Inb4 Ranger is a sub-class of Rogue with the only difference being the pet. I am being overly apocalyptic, but I expect them to shit in my cornflakes.

None of the other arguments are evidence for being absolutely no chance. So and so game had X and Y is completely irrelevant.

"We've done a lot more than people expect, I think," he continues. Still, cuts have to be made. "We made a list of everything that's in the Player's Handbook, and we coded it green, orange, red. Green, meaning [we can use it as-written]. Orange, needs change. Red, impossible—or maybe not impossible, but we'd have to make a completely new game just to support this feature."

Inb4 the whole Handbook is in red with the exception of 3 pages in which lore is discussed.

Curratum

Inb4 Ranger is a sub-class of Rogue with the only difference being the pet. I am being overly apocalyptic, but I expect them to shit in my cornflakes.

None of the other arguments are evidence for being absolutely no chance. So and so game had X and Y is completely irrelevant.

My only hope for the game is Mike Mearls / WotC holding their reins relatively tightly and the book being as faithful a digitization of the ruleset as possible, so I hope / like to think / believe that won't be the case.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I can't wait until tomorrow. When all the people who don't even care about the game that much come into this thread and tell the actual fans who have been here the whole time what is and isn't a big deal.

Anyone who has been here longer than you can have any opinion they want. Don't be a fucking bore.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

My only hope for the game is Mike Mearls / WotC holding their reins relatively tightly and the book being as faithful a digitization of the ruleset as possible, so I hope / like to think / believe that won't be the case.

Because the DnD video games adaptation after Neverwinter Nights 2 had been faithful to the ruleset right?

:negative:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Because the DnD video games adaptation after Neverwinter Nights 2 had been faithful to the ruleset right?

What DnD video games adaptation?

Curratum

In all the previous ones, a company was just given the license, and this time I *BELIEVE* M. Mearls was more closely involved. I could of course be wrong, but it's what I hope for.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Weeeelll, that interview in which the Ranger is confirmed kinda implies or at least it seems like Swen is in charge. I don't see what Mearls is doing there.

Harthwain

Magister
In one of the interviews with Sven and that guy from the WotC Mike Mearls they admitted that the Ranger was lacking and as such he'll receive some changes for DnD, and they shared that with Larian, which implies they will also take that into consideration for BG3 (since it was Mike Mearls who had to ask Sven for a permission to talk about the Ranger class).

Is it hard evidence? No. But it's relevant as a point of reference for what we can reasonably expect from BG3.

Salvo

Arcane
Hoping they don't fuck this up and actually deliver something fun, without TOO much of Larian's shit humor

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Diablo was about tactical combat and strategic decision making, absolutely.

Diablo was about "tactical combat and strategic decision" (that is erroneusly thought as being automatically synonym with turn based combat ) until Brizzard said to cut the TB bullshit and Diablo be real time.
And after Brevik made some minor tweaks and made it an action RPG, he was in awe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc
^27:00

RTwP will always be full of trash encounters and maybe a few memorable ones - it's just the only way to design these games.
The encounters become "trash" when they're too repetitive and offer no real challenge and makes the player sleepwalk throughout the combat.
And sometimes is good to throw at the player trash mobs to underline the strength of the party achieved 'till that point in the game.

If you need a longer play time in RTwP, you need more encounters
In BG1 a big chunk of gameplay was exploration. A rtwp BG3 with fewer encounters but with more map exploration would be ideal.

and there's no way you have the time to design all of them in a way that would allow them to be memorable.
A good designed game is the one that has a good ratio between memorable and not so memorable encounters. Wanting for all of them to be memorable is absurd.

I can still remember most encounters in D:OS1
I don't.

But I remember encounters in BG1 because of flair and in BG2 I remember adrenaline filled fights where the victory hanged by a hair strand, fights that were meticulously prepared, positioning was paramount and casting spells half a second too late made me weep.

I forgot about pretty much every encounter in both PoE1 and 2...
And I forgot every encounter in Battle Brothers. Does that mean it is a bad game? Of course not.
Will I advocate for a rtwp Battle Brothers sequel? That would be ridiculous.

And I have 440 hours sunk in Underrail.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
In one of the interviews with Sven and that guy from the WotC Mike Mearls they admitted that the Ranger was lacking and as such he'll receive some changes for DnD, and they shared that with Larian, which implies they will also take that into consideration for BG3 (since it was Mike Mearls who had to ask Sven for a permission to talk about the Ranger class).
And the change are probally here: https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf

Saravan

Savant
Larian has already achieved in making Baldur's Gate 3 entertaining by producing 298 pages of manchild tears before even revealing its first instance of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom