Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If it breaks the balance that's not a solution.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
In the gameplay video, all the party members have equipped the same type of armour but each of them look as having different style of armour.
Was this shit in Divinity 2 because I can't remember?!

Elex

Arbiter
https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-iii-everything-we-know-so-far-gameplay-mechanics/
this one answer some unclear stuff.

camp npc:
Your Camp will develop as the game advances, and you will see this visually as well as in things like Vendors, etc. You can even hire Camp NPCs to work for you here, to further enhance it.

All 12 classes at release: (no artificer i guess)
Baldur’s Gate III currently features 8 of the 12 Classes available in Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, and these are: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Warlock, Wizard, and a few others. The other 4 are slated to be added as the game develops, and you will get to choose from these during Character Creation.

reaction :
Each character will have 1 Action Point to take an Action, 1 Bonus Action point to take a Bonus Action and one Reaction Point, which can be used for an attack of opportunity.
Lastly, there are a couple things that differ from 5th Edition and that is that some creatures will have or not have some spells they normally possess for balancing purposes, and normally your Reaction Point can be used for things other than Attacks of Opportunity. But in BG3, in order to prevent the player from having to click off a box to react every time an enemy takes a turn, this has been simplified into only an Attack of Opportunity.
This is bad, solasta managed to do it.

How initiative work:
When combat begins the team that goes first is the team that wins the Initiative roll. This is accomplished by each character rolling a D20 and then adding any Initiative modifiers to that roll, which is usually Dexterity and then taking the highest value from that team and comparing it to the highest value from the other team. Whichever is higher determines which team goes first.
so i guess that the demo was bugged with that 38 initiative.

that method is not terrible but still meh.

downed characters:
This mean that they cannot take any actions but make 1 Saving Throw each round, and if they succeed 3 Saving Throws before they lose 3 they will revive with 1 HP. But if they fail 3 before succeeding 3 then they will die. Other characters can help the character up using a Bonus Action if they are nearby, at which point they will revive with 1 HP. Additionally, enemies will continue to attack downed characters, which makes them instantly fail a Saving Throw, and speeds up the process of them dying. It does sound like there will be Resurrection Scrolls in the game to revive dead characters, but they will be extremely rare if there are, and won’t be something you’ll have access to often.

Close to the rule but not identical.

Stealth:
Stealth is handled by how obscure the player is, and positioning and daylight play a large roll in this. For instance, characters in tall grass or bushes are harder to see, and are even harder to see at night. This means players will need to use their environments, and chose wisely about when to use Stealth in order to have the most success possible, as well as decide when to activate the Turn-Based feature.
Pretty much identical to the rules.

loot:

The Loot of BG 3 will be much more static than DOS II, and players can expect the vast majority to be in the same place every game. There are small exceptions, but if you know where some great Unique Bow is that you want from an earlier play through, you can head there and get it ASAP. This is good news, and should help a lot of players plan where they want to go, and what decisions to make, especially once we get that information on the Wiki.

Kaivokz

Arcane
That's because traditional PC gaming was neutered by "accessible" game design.

What styles of RPG are most popular?
1. Action "RPG" (skyrim, zelda)
2. JRPG (dragon quest, final fantasy)
3. Overhead TB (fire emblem, battle brothers, D:OS, banner saga, etc.)
4. Phase Based (wizardry clones) / RTwP (PoE/PF:KM), I don't know which is less popular

There's a small gap between 2 and 3 and a large gap between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.

Popularity is inversely correlated to tactical complexity (assuming similar quality of encounter design, character customization, etc.). Not surprising that Larian went with overhead TB + 3D graphics + rotatable camera + MMO GFX, but it's like saying you're making Wizardry 10 and spitting out a Skyrim clone.
Was gonna comment but then noticed you seriously put fire emblem and DOS in the same category. That's just retarded.

Fire Emblem and D:OS are both tactical RPGs. They're different, but they fill a similar niche of popularity and share many gameplay elements that distinguish them from: ACTION RPG, TRADITIONAL JRPG, or RTwP. Or what, you think either fire emblem or D:OS is more popular than Dragon Quest XI? Maybe. Like I said, 2 and 3 are close, and maybe overhead TB will become more popular than the traditional TB in 202X.

Also JRPG is not a style, it's a point of origin. There's about as much variation among JRPGs as among western RPGs.
JRPG is used colloquially in reference to a style of turn-based gameplay and the two I listed should make what kind of gameplay obvious. Try to be a little less faggoty than Olivert. If you want to talk about cool experimental systems in JRPGs like SaGa, Last Remnant, or Natural Doctrine, they're probably about as popular as phase based and RTwP.

deuxhero

Arcane
No, it means you HAVE to give out +1 swords because otherwise a mid level character is barely more competent than a starting one and the only difference for non-casters is more HP and some class features that don't swing combat too heavily.
Even non-casters get plenty of skills each level that can and do swing the combat quite heavily.

With only a handful of exceptions, you get one thing.

Reroll a save a second time per day? That sure makes up for not being able to cast a 7th level spell!

Kaivokz

Arcane
lol come on man. Isn't it the clear lesson of the past half decade in RPGs that "oldschool IE RTwP fans" are an impossible to satisfy, highly overrated niche?
People seem pretty happy with PF:KM, here on the codex and elsewhere. PoE got a lot of slack, too. Just because PoE2 sucked (I love RTwP, but I haven't played any of the DLC for PoE2) doesn't mean infinity engine fans are insatiable.

(and btw Swen deserves respect for introducing his game to the world in core rules, total-party-kill, no-companion-autoresurrection-after-combat mode)
Agreed on that point. Though he should have been as traditional in art direction. I understand why they're going 3D (even though hand drawn backgrounds make PoE1&2 a hundred times more beautiful than the divinity games); they need it for their wonky physics and environmental reactions and stuff, but they could have at least gone for hand drawn portraits and realistic animations in a BG style.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
On a completely different note... What is up with the music being so incredibly bland? Any chance this is a placeholder because if you compare BG1-2 music to that in the demo it is honestly embarrassing.

Anyone that participated in the DivOS beta that knows whether they changed the music between the start of the beta and release?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just because PoE2 sucked
Deadfire was the better PoE of the two.

I have to be the only one who never liked D:OS' music. IMO, for fantasy games, symphonyc orchestra is mandatory. But I never liked D:OS as a whole. The whole game is mostly bloat once you get past Cyseal. It's like they ran out of ideas at the end of that chapter.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the gameplay video, all the party members have equipped the same type of armour but each of them look as having different style of armour.
Was this shit in Divinity 2 because I can't remember?!

Yeah, been wondering about this as well. Like when he threw the boots, he never got barefooted.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to be the only one who never liked D:OS' music.

It was quirky and energetic, which I think worked quite well with Larian's lighthearted approach. Kiril was a talented composer.

The music in D:OS 2 just felt so generic and boring.

Tytus

Arcane
And about the music it would be a dream come true if they somehow managed to bring back Michael Hoenig as a composer for BG3. His work on the original BG is still one of the better pieces of RPG scores out there.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Deadfire was the better PoE of the two.
It had better mechanics and character building, but the main plotline was leagues below the first game (which is saying something) and the disjointed island theme didn't lead to a memorable world. I think if PoE2 had better story and world design, it could have been a success, because they did make a lot of great mechanical improvements.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The ongoing meltdown on the Steam BG3 forums is hilarious. /popcorn
Not sure if trolling or brain damage (although it's Steamcommunity, so probably both).
C0tK5He.png

3V0m83n.png

1dMVQ1s.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom