Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Just imagine waiting for a D:OS 3 for years, and then it is announced as RtwP with anime designs for its characters. Even it is good and respect the original settings and lore, it would still feel like they are using the name just for recognition.

This very argument was brought up here again and again but the cocksucking Larian psychopaths who simply are unable to put themselves in someone else's shows can't grasp this argument.
It's pearls to the swine.
Maybe if you wanted a "proper" BG3 you should have bought more copies of siege of dragonspear

Codex Year of the Donut
guess you didn't want it that badly then
"It" in a sense whatever is being sold under BG trademark - of course not. Just like in Larian case. I'm very clear about what kind of "it" I want.

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk
Did you ever consider that wotc decided against a rtwp game because of poor SoD sales and similar IE-style games doing poorly?

Xzar

Augur
Did you ever consider that wotc decided against a rtwp game because of poor SoD sales and similar IE-style games doing poorly?
These games were doing poorly not because they were rtwp. But because their developers chose to include stuff that doesn't sell and exclude stuff that sells. CDPR never makes such mistakes.

Codex Year of the Donut
Virgin IE fan: only buys games that are 10/10 perfect leading to every company that makes games they like going bankrupt.
Chad Larian fan: Buys all of Larian's games no matter what because he knows they'll be good and Swen will continue making good games.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just imagine waiting for a D:OS 3 for years, and then it is announced as RtwP with anime designs for its characters. Even it is good and respect the original settings and lore, it would still feel like they are using the name just for recognition.

This very argument was brought up here again and again but the cocksucking Larian psychopaths who simply are unable to put themselves in someone else's shows can't grasp this argument.
It's pearls to the swine.
Maybe if you wanted a "proper" BG3 you should have bought more copies of siege of dragonspear

A proper BG3 si not a Beamdog's game using BG1 assets.

A proper Baldur's Gate 3 would have the overall aesthetic of BG1/2 with more or less subtle changes and visual elements that would make it recognizable by the fans of the franchise and would preserve the writing which is "distinctively non-modern in style and employs the vocabulary and tone characteristic of Forgotten Realms literature."

Xzar

Augur
Virgin IE fan: only buys games that are 10/10 perfect leading to every company that makes games they like going bankrupt.
Chad Larian fan: Buys all of Larian's games no matter what because he knows they'll be good and Swen will continue making good games.
Virgin Larian fan: buys whatever crap his drunk friends and cheating wife want him to just for lulz, between watching dumb comics-based movies and listening to Ariana Grande
Chad BG fan: doesn't care about IE that much, only about the quality of content. Makes sure to hold developers accountable for surrender before decline.

Codex Year of the Donut
Virgin Larian fan: buys whatever crap his drunk friends and cheating wife want him to just for lulz, between watching dumb comics-based movies and listening to Ariana Grande
Chad BG fan: doesn't care about IE that much, only about the quality of content. Makes sure to held developers accountable for surrender before decline.

Not helping your bro out is the opposite of Chad you virgin

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
2KUfOI0Y

the fonts, the only thing in common

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Kiting is a logical tactic and there's nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with enemies following you around like puppies instead of, I dunno, taking fucking cover?

RTS genre was for casuals back in late 90s?

Absolutely.

Then what was Tomb Raider and its ilk? Super casual? Super duper casual?

casuals played tomb raider and warcraft/command&conquer in equal measure.

Elu

Novice
Kiting is a logical tactic and there's nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with enemies following you around like puppies instead of, I dunno, taking fucking cover?

RTS genre was for casuals back in late 90s?

Absolutely.

Then what was Tomb Raider and its ilk? Super casual? Super duper casual?

casuals played tomb raider and warcraft/command&conquer in equal measure.

Well, they didn't follow till the bitter end in BG, they retargeted towards the source of persistent damage. Of course, if they took cover it would hugely improve the game. That AI had the option to run after all (morale breaking), it was just too chaotic and set at too low hp to matter.

Then where lies the threshold of casuality? What was not casual according to you? Are HoMM 2/3 casual?

Last edited:

Xzar

Augur
Not helping your bro out is the opposite of Chad you virgin
In fact I bought SoD, even if one year later at 70 off. Completed it twice. Liked main music theme very much. I rate it 7/10 overall. However, the way Trent was selling this was so irritating, I could not in good faith name him my bro at that moment. Neither now. Right now he allows his moderator Julius Borisov to shill for Larian and delete critical comments on Beamdog forums. By the way, it was always forbidden to mention Codex there. Any threads or comments with such mentions were swiftly deleted, I have the lecturing about this somewhere in my DMs over there.

Elu

Novice
Elu said:
Oh, but you can throw boots at enemies. Muh deep complex gameplay.

A little pet peeve with this argument that is being repeated ad naseum. What is the issue with this? The action is not "throwing boots", but just "throwing". It just allows you to throw any object you have. Of course the normal use will be to throw things like daggers and grenades, but you can get creative with it. Is just a tool taken to its logical conclusion. Using straw man like those is of poor taste.

It's not that I particularly hate the 'improvised throwing' mechanic or whatever it is. But the fact that it is implemented, while other seemingly important features are not (day-night cycle, proper initiative) creates suspicion that the gameplay will be very gimmicky. They have a fairly recent history of it.

Make no mistake, I'm not despondent over this game. It's obvious that there is no way WotC produces AD&D crpg and without that you won't have the gameplay that feels like BG1+2 anyway. The move to use the name for marekting purposes is a bad look, but one requires merely a glance at recent pnp products to realize that this is how WotC operates. This recent pnp adventure BG: Descent into Avernus has barely anything to do with Baldur's Gate. Apparently, Baldur's Gate is now nu-Waterdeep/Neverwinter/Phlan, a default city with troubles brewing under the surface, that can be always used as a convenient starting point.
While I prefer the approach of old editions, I would welcome a solid 5ed D&D romp. Maybe this game will be it. But after all that talk about recreating aspects of pnp previously not brought to computers, the more I hear about it, the more it sounds like a Dragon Age lookalike.

Elu

Novice
outside of a few grognards making a lot of noise there is no "shitstorm"

Since when millenial RTWP noobs are "grognards"?

True grognards have had their chance at shitstorm when Ruins of Myth Drannor came out. BGtards are like Morrowind fanboys who recoil in horror from the one true TES - Daggerfall.

True grognards only play Greyhawk, they lost the decisive battle back when SSI produced Pool of Radiance. Anything Myth Drannor is decline.

Daggerfall? And here I thought you're a champion of tactical turn-based combat a la Wizardry. But still, I approve.

Harthwain

Magister
No day\night cycle confirmed by the devs, because "it will conflict with multiplayer".
Disappointing. This sort of makes the Vampire Spawn pointless. And supports somebody's claim that the player can "master" the tadpole, thus refusing the change but keeping its power. I mean, there is no side-stepping a vampire walking in the sun otherwise, when there is no day/night cycle. Unless they want to restrict vampire players to night, with night being merely a cosmetic?

Also it will fuck up shadow mechanics making stealth broken as fuck.
You could change that by making sneaking much harder by less skilled characters and adding bright moonlight as sort-of light source, as well as a lot of light sources (torches, fireplaces, etc.).

It was made rtwp to appeal to RTS players who were big at the time. Dumb shit. RTS is still played today almost exclusively competitively. If it's so casual why is every casual complaining about how its too hard to understand?
:notsureifserious:

1) You are confusing the competitive scene with the casual scene. It's not the same. I think the word "popular" is better here.
2) This is RPG Codex. People here may be retarded, but sure as hell they aren't casual.
3) "Too hard to understand"? The crux of the debate is how it plays, not how hard it is to understand. (What is there to understand? How hard can it be to press pause at any given moment?)

except being a female character adds a noticeable change to the game simply making the game darker adds NOTHING.
The point isn't just to make the game darker when the night arrives. It's about linking it to the gameplay. It should make the world change (where relevant), thus giving potential for different encounters, make stealth more powerful, empower certain characters (Vampire Spawn?), etc. Because by the same argument that you're making I can say that I have seen a plenty of games where sex added nothing to the game (it's literally a cosmetic option in the creation screen), so why even have it?

It has been discussed to death. Kiting is a logical tactic and there's nothing wrong with it. It is only problematic when it becomes an optimal answer for everything. You could instantaneously improve Baldur's Gate by merely varying movement speed between creatures - let's say make spiders the fastest, then the wolves/dogs then the bears, then the small and big bipedal creatures, in that order. It would make kiting viable in certain circumstances and impossible in others, as it should be. No need for arbitrary mechanics. Sawyer boasted about "fixing" DnD but in the end he was unable to veer away even a little from standard DnD concepts, nor did he understand when they make sense and when they don't. Anyways, usefulness of kiting decreases towards the end of BG1 and is a minor problem in BG2.
Oh, I am not intending on restarting a debate.

I merely agreed that - in my opinion - BG had issues with melee engagement (or melee in general. After all, melee fighters were less interesting than mages or priest, because of how little they had to do) and Swayer intended on fixing that by giving them more tasks. That sounded interesting on paper and resulted in melee engagement becoming a bigger deal in PoE, but sadly the end result wasn't as positive as expected.

I hope that makes my position clear.

would you people prefer if it actually continued where BG2 left off?
It's not about that.

I think most people agree (not just here, but in general) that it would have been much better for the current BG3 title to be a spin-off, rather than the actual BG3 game, given how loosely it seems to be connected with the series it's supposed to be related to. That way technically it would still be a "Baldur's Gate" game in name, while at the same time not having the same preconceptions people have when faced with "It's Baldur's Gate 3, therefore it must/should be closely related to Baldur's Gate 2 and 1".

outside of a few grognards making a lot of noise there is no "shitstorm"
Check out reddit and Steam. It isn't an apocalypse, but it is a [very] hot topic.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Harthwain, I don't appreciate you changing my name to fluent. If you have some accusations to throw around you should come out and say it. Stop being a little bitch and just say it. Why do you think I'm fluent? Let's hear it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom