Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
Witcher 1 had a day/night cycle as well. And it was (while kinda different) RTwP as well.
In Witcher the concept was kind of central to themes and mechanics of the game.

Again, I like day-night cycles and I do think BG3 could benefit from it, but ultimately mechanics is what you do with it, BG1-2 did NOT benefit from their day-night cycles noticeably and it's Larian's call whether they want to spend resources on this particular thing.

Damage from throwing random objects should be pretty low and modified by target's size and of course object thrown, its weight, etc. Throwing normal boot at medium rare sized humanoid should IMO only deal actual damage on crit, but it should still confer some disadvantages to the target on hit and might be worthwhile in some situations.

I don't know how it is handled in PnP DnD TBH.
that is what I was thinking. I could live with it if on a crit it like dazed a creature or something. But boots doing 1d4 damage, is ridiculous, since that is the same damage as a dagger... especially since it took less time to do than an actual attack. It appeared as if you could move and then take your boots off and throw them or maybe attack and then unlace your boots and chuck them for an extra 1d4 damage. Just stupid. Can you then put on another pair and do the same thing next round?

I would go with something like that (for leather/cloth boots and similar items):
1D4 damage with target size dependent negative damage modifier (something like -4 for medium sized target - it's hard to hurt someone throwing boots at them, but you can for example kill a rat with them - note that this will deal damage on crit).
Roll on special effect table on hit (kind of: no effect, vs disadvantage for the next round OR first action by or against character whichever happens first., vs forced to step back (possibly falling off stuff, etc.)).

Would be mostly harmless, but sometimes a valuable distraction and sometimes cause of hilarious and memorable events: "so the guy was about to kill me and I didn't have any way to prevent that, so I threw my boot in his face in defiance dazing him and making him step backwards and fall off the stairs".

You could also throw boots at pressure plates or mechanisms.

Witcher 1 had a day/night cycle as well. And it was (while kinda different) RTwP as well.
In Witcher the concept was kind of central to themes and mechanics of the game.

Again, I like day-night cycles and I do think BG3 could benefit from it, but ultimately mechanics is what you do with it, BG1-2 did NOT benefit from their day-night cycles noticeably and it's Larian's call whether they want to spend resources on this particular thing.

Damage from throwing random objects should be pretty low and modified by target's size and of course object thrown, its weight, etc. Throwing normal boot at medium rare sized humanoid should IMO only deal actual damage on crit, but it should still confer some disadvantages to the target on hit and might be worthwhile in some situations.

I don't know how it is handled in PnP DnD TBH.
that is what I was thinking. I could live with it if on a crit it like dazed a creature or something. But boots doing 1d4 damage, is ridiculous, since that is the same damage as a dagger... especially since it took less time to do than an actual attack. It appeared as if you could move and then take your boots off and throw them or maybe attack and then unlace your boots and chuck them for an extra 1d4 damage. Just stupid. Can you then put on another pair and do the same thing next round?

I would go with something like that (for leather/cloth boots and similar items):
1D4 damage with target size dependent negative damage modifier (something like -4 for medium sized target - it's hard to hurt someone throwing boots at them, but you can for example kill a rat with them - note that this will deal damage on crit).
Roll on special effect table on hit (kind of: no effect, vs disadvantage for the next round OR first action by or against character whichever happens first., vs forced to step back (possibly falling off stuff, etc.)).

Would be mostly harmless, but sometimes a valuable distraction and sometimes cause of hilarious and memorable events: "so the guy was about to kill me and I didn't have any way to prevent that, so I threw my boot in his face in defiance dazing him and making him step backwards and fall off the stairs".

You could also throw boots at pressure plates or mechanisms.
yes, that would make sense. You could certainly distract and if you got lucky enough ( hit it in the head with the toe or heel) even daze a medium sized creature (critical roll) but of course this would be way too much to ask larian to mess with. They only ever will remove complexity, despite the fact computers are the perfect tool to be adding complexity with things like this.

mondblut

Arcane
Funny, throwing boots and shields and food rations at the enemies with some degree of success was the first thing I *ever* did in a computer RPG.

Eye of the Beholder, throwing boots since 1991. Right mouse buttons, how do they work?

They only ever will remove complexity, despite the fact computers are the perfect tool to be adding complexity with things like this.
Citation needed.

660600_00_OMM.jpg

TL: DR for this thread:
  1. Complaining about Larian making Baldur's Gate. (Long discussion)
  2. Complaining about TB mode and Praising RTwP (Very long discussion x3)
  3. Praising TB mode and complaining about RTwP (Very long discussion x3)
  4. Complaining about 5e. (Short discussion)
  5. Praising 5e. (Short discussion)
  6. Complaining about cinematic for bad logic. (Medium discussion)
  7. Explaining that cinematic's logic is fine (Short discussion)
  8. Complaining about lore. ( Long discussion)
  9. Explaining that lore is fine. (Medium discussion)
  10. Larian is shit (Short discussion).
  11. Larian is good (Short discussion).
  12. Complaining about visuals (Medium discussion).
  13. Complaining that visuals exist (Medium discussion).
  14. Discussing Companions (Short Discussion).
  15. Complaining about elemental damage and environments. (Short discussion)
  16. Explaining that those exist in D&D (Short discussion)
  17. Couple people complaining about being possibly cucked by Gith (one of them was fine with Octavia doing it). (Removed)
  18. Baldur's Gate 3 looking like D:OS2. (Long discussion)
  19. Financial potential of the game (Short discussion).
  20. Stating that Islam supporting woman in England is a sister of the gameplay designer in Belgium and claiming that he is an Islam supporter, therefore game is doomed (Removed).
  21. Complaining about boot throws and calling Swen clown. (Short discussion)
  22. Explaining that throwing items exists in D&D and does 1D4 damage. (Short discussion)
  23. Complaining about day/night cycle. (Ongoing).

17. Couple people complaining about being possibly cucked by Gith (one of them was fine with Octavia doing it). (Removed)
  20. Stating that Islam supporting woman in England is a sister of the gameplay designer in Belgium and claiming that he is an Islam supporter, therefore game is doomed (Removed).
  22. Explaining that throwing items exists in D&D and does 1D4 damage. (Short discussion)
`24: Complaining about complaining

25. Complaining about someone complaining about complaining.

DraQ

Arcane
26. Pyramid time!

I was simply stating, don't care what you waste your time doing.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Absolutely. It's a crime against art but unfortunately being a passionless hack isn't an actual crime.

Holy shit, I just figured it out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder
Do you think a Baldur's Gate 3 thread is the place to launch personal attacks at someone? I'm sure there is a relevant forum section for making hate threads about people but unless you're Hating on the developers, this isn't it. If you want to make a hate thread about me you're more then welcome to, but please keep it to the correct forum section. You guys have been interrupting actual discussion so you can obsessively shit talk me.

Saravan

Savant
Absolutely. It's a crime against art but unfortunately being a passionless hack isn't an actual crime.

Holy shit, I just figured it out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder
Do you think a Baldur's Gate 3 thread is the place to launch personal attacks at someone? I'm sure there is a relevant forum section for making hate threads about people but unless you're Hating on the developers, this isn't it. If you want to make a hate thread about me you're more then welcome to, but please keep it to the correct forum section. You guys have been interrupting actual discussion so you can obsessively shit talk me.

A plea of mercy and he just responds with retarded reaction hahaha man I love this thread.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
right on bro, I only play super serious games for fellow super serious gamers
HAHA GO FOR THE EYES BOO XD

Do you not see a difference between a companion with mental retardation vs. Mechanics and animations threaded into the very foundation of the game?
I agree with the animations bit, they look ugly and obnoxious, but "thowing your boot" is hardly something threaded into the very foundation of the game. If it's consistent with how it works in D&D 5, it will be a fun way to kill off an already dying enemy for the first couple of levels, then it will become simply a way to interact with the environment, with something like "I throw a stone on the pressure plate to activate it" or "I throw some water on the bonfire to extinguish it".

But yes, they really need to tone down the animations.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Every time a dialogue cutscene happens the characters look like they have Parkinson's disease.

Michael J. Fox did not die for this mockery.

RangerOne

Literate
I get the feeling that The Larian White Knight Brigade ITT is a bunch of old grumpy dudes with cataracts.

You can't even criticize the lack of day/night cycles without them getting enraged.

VVGwHO5.jpg

(old grumpy dudes with cataracts retardo this post) :cool:

DraQ

Arcane
But yes, they really need to tone down the animations.
It seems to be one of the things good people at Larian just don't grok.

Mundane animations for mundane things.
Mundane animation for jumping somewhere, slitting someone's throat or stabbing them in the face can actually be more impactful than stupidly flashy one, especially if it does't have ton of GFX shit accompanying it. And the game is TB so even the silly "it must be flashy or ppl will miss it happening!" excuse doesn't apply.

If a character had animation for buttering bread would they also do it assuming ten different dramatic animu poses and shooting sparks from various orifices?
No? Then they don't need it for hopping down a ledge either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom