Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Nobody cares about gnomes and half-lings... just waste of resources.

One of my most interesting BGT playthroughs was a Dart throwing Fighter Halfling crushing mages left and right.

Darts Grandmaster is seriously underrated.

I insist on my Halflings!

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Early Access is :decline: It is a shame they are bringing back tactical RPGs but didn't try to bring back decent business practices in gaming too.
If you don't like early access you can just not play it until it releases?
Yes but it is part of a huge systemic problem.
How is marking your game as early access a problem compared to flat out just releasing an unfinished product like every other developer does?

Lots of ways. Really it is the exact same thing, sell something that isn't finished, and some small print that says early access. People should be more savvy but they aren't, so, companies exploit this by selling unfinished crap all over the place. This is also normalising the whole concept of selling unfinished crap like it is somehow ok. It isn't ok. I think the worst thing of all is that people have given away all our power. You used to get great value in gaming, you would buy a game for a fixed price, a fair price too, and there were no extras. They may release more content but it would be an expansion pack and it was huge and it was also fairly priced. But over the decades, shitlords have been constantly seeing how far they can push it. Horse armor, paying for mods, releasing empty crap games and then put some content in later as DLC and charge them again, selling games in an 'episodic' way, games as a service, etc. There is no putting the genie back in the lamp now! Companies are lions and gamers have proven they are an injured 3 legged retarded sheep in handcuffs.
ERB1oo-RXs-Ak-W4-B7.jpg
I don't buy any of it anyway but what does that solve? The "shut up and take my money" generation outnumbers people with brains so you guys won. You got it your way, don't worry.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Sugar is a drug.

Artificial sweeteners turn out to be worse.

Made the break to unsweet tea last year. :kingcomrade:

Quick background - I haven't eaten any pastries for the last 10 years or so.

Recently I bought a loaf of bread, and God damn these things are stuffed with sugar. When someone eats bread and other pastries regularly one doesn't tend to notice, but to someone like me all I could taste was the sugar inside.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This might be interesting to anybody still running the ever so popular Core i5 2500k and similar:

The game was tested on an i5-2400 and it ran fine (minimum of 30 FPS; not sure what the GPU was, or game resolution). For Early Access it was decided to list higher tier CPU, to be safe

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=676814#Post676814
I will play this on my i7 4510U, so I don't see why anyone with a i5 2500k would be worried about it.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
They keep mentioning the city of Elturiel. The last issue of the Minsc comic series has him:
- In Elturiel.
- Suffering from amnesia.
- Wanting to go to Baldur's Gate.

Now I'm just wondering whether we'll meet him in the EA, or the full release.

Salvo

Arcane
So, who's going in on Thursday?

It's a miracle my PC is even functioning at the moment, let alone playing a heavy game such as this. I'll check it out once I upgrade it.

On that matter, what's a decent medium-high tier CPU that's worth upgrading into? My processor is a 7 year old i5-4670, GPU is a GTX 1060 (6GB).

robinox

Educated
Recently I bought a loaf of bread, and God damn these things are stuffed with sugar.
Depends on the type of bread. A lilttle bit of sugar develops naturally (releasing from the flour) during the leavening process (it gives bread its flavor; without it, bread would taste like flour).
Adding sugar (or better honey) as an extra ingredient, is normally done for wholemeal bread to contrast the sourness of the barn.

Theldaran

Liturgist

It's a miracle my PC is even functioning at the moment, let alone playing a heavy game such as this. I'll check it out once I upgrade it.

On that matter, what's a decent medium-high tier CPU that's worth upgrading into? My processor is a 7 year old i5-4670, GPU is a GTX 1060 (6GB).

I have Ryzen 5 2600, but there are even better options.

Thonius

Arcane
The problem probably lies in yeast, to raise the bread you need yeast to give food for yeast you need sugar or carbohydrates otherwise it will take ages to process flour(if possible at all). Granted there are sourdough breads around but it takes time and prep. Anyhow you can make bread with sugar but it will be closer to pitta/tortillas/the thing that arabs bake using just flour and water.
Anyhow, as 6h comes closer I'm not going to lie while I still do not like Larian I kinda got excited about BG3 a bit.

I have Ryzen 5 2600, but there are even better options.
CPU's are almost never an issue in the games. Unless you're playing Dwarf Fortress with gyga old world it will be GPU that's bottle-necking your system.
Granted some new soft drops older CPU for various reasons due to lack of some features that are so mostly irrelevant I can't even name them.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yeah but this is BG3 we're talking about, and hopefully to run it at 60 FPS.

It says on the page that they're working on optimisation, so as the EA progresses, the requirements will decrease.

It's one of those games where it runs on a toaster, but barebones, to get 1080@60 you need a bit of beef. Ah! And don't forget the RAM. 16 gigs are very important today. And with good clock speeds.

Thonius

Arcane
Here how it goes in gaming from high priority to low: GPU RAM HDD CPU. Having old i7 or i5 ( not counting U) is enough to run anything today, check while you play some BF, usually CPU never goes to 80% usage or more.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not sure yet. I have so many other games to play that I might wait a bit. I still haven't even seriously started D:OS2, PoE2, PF:KM, Spellforce 3, Age of Empires 2: DE. I haven't finished UnderRail, Spellforce 2, Age of Empires 1, and I'm thinking of buying Mortal Kombat 11 (seriously discounted) if the rumors of Mileena coming are true. Oh, I'm also thinking of playing some D:OS co-op with ...a friend, if his laptop can handle it. So, yeah, I have a lot on my plate already. Early Access isn't going anywhere soon, so I might jump in in a few months time if I see a reason to.

The Ryzen 3600 (6 Cores, 12 Threads) seems currently the CPU to go to (best performance/price), there are a lot of comparisons on Youtube between old i5s and CPUs of all kind to check whether it's worth your while. However, new Ryzen are just around the corner, plus nobody knows how well BG3 really runs yet.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane

The Ryzen 3600 (6 Cores, 12 Threads) seems currently the CPU to go to (best performance/price), there are a lot of comparisons on Youtube between old i5s and CPUs of all kind to check whether it's worth your while. However, new Ryzen are just around the corner, plus nobody knows how well BG3 really runs yet.

Upgrading my PC is something I will have to do regardless of how well BG3 is optimized. I have 8 GB of RAM, ffs. Either way, thanks for the tip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom