Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Grunker, no, I believe you when you state you don't gaf about FR anything. And that's your prerogative, especially as a died-in-the-wool, black-pilled Codexer.

But you haven't answered the question as to why Larian in particular, especially after having been criticized with your observation about their not-so-serious reputation and methods, should be the ones to take something quite central to Forgotten Realms established canon in what appears to be a somewhat radical new direction.

My suspicion is that this is going to be justified through some sort of creative McGuffin magic, but until we see evidence of that, ours is to freely speculate.

Murk

Arcane
More than 20 years later and people still remember quote about elven arse. I can't remember a single line of dialogue from any DOS.

no wait, the one about cheeses, but they patched it out I think.

RED AND ORANGE, YELLOW AND GREEN

THE FINEST VEGGIES CYSEAL'S EVER SEEN

To be honest, I always the thought commonplace dialog of IWD 1 and 2 was better than either BG (or Divinity games for that matter.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gat...n-based-combat-is-a-blessing-for-multiplayer/

Baldur's Gate 3's simultaneous turn-based combat is a blessing for multiplayer
Divinity: Original Sin 2 was a great co-op experience, but Baldur's Gate 3 looks like it'll be even better.

Some nights, my Divinity: Original Sin 2 co-op time was spent in a single fight. Trying to align the schedules of three adults to play any game, let alone a hundred-hour RPG, can feel like a minor miracle sometimes. But my friends and I were dedicated to finishing this game, even with a three-hour time difference (me in California, them on the east coast) limiting our potential play time. For about three months, we hopped into a Discord chat every night we could and quested our way through Original Sin 2. I'm excited to do the same for Baldur's Gate 3, and relieved that it probably won't take as long, this time.

Not because Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be a shorter RPG, though. I don't know how long it'll be compared to Original Sin 2, but Larian seems to be swinging for the fences, and I feel safe assuming it'll be a gigantic game. Larian is doing something a little different with the turn-based combat this time that should make all the difference.

In both the Divinity: Original Sin games, every character in a fight, friend or foe, gets a dedicated turn. This is tracked with a turn order timeline along the top of the screen, which does play into the combat strategy in some interesting ways. It lets you focus down and kill enemies who may have a turn coming up sooner, or hit them with attacks that delay when they'll get to move. I really like the layer of strategy this brings to combat. But the turn-order design also means that, in co-op play, you spend most of a fight doing nothing, just waiting for your turn.

And those fights can be long. Sometimes a dozen enemies get pulled into an encounter across a large area, so my friends and I would spend an hour tactically thinking our way through them. It was mostly fun, but still led to plenty of "Oh, it's my turn? Oops" moments that just added to the delay. I'm relieved that for Baldur's Gate 3, Larian came up with a speedier solution.

The new "simultaneous turn-based" system isn't exactly a revolutionary idea. You get a turn and move all your units, and then the enemy AI takes a turn, and so on. Plenty of turn-based games have used this setup over the years. But they're rarely multiplayer, which is why this is a big deal coming from Original Sin 2. In Baldur's Gate 3, all four co-op partners will be able to move their characters at the same time, take actions, then end the turn and let the AI get mean.

I'm psyched for the time saving this promises, but I also think it's going to make multiplayer more fun, too. In Divinity, my friends and I would occasionally reload when it felt like someone had picked a story path we didn't want to go down—Steven, you know what you did and you should still feel bad—but for the most part we rolled with whatever happened. In combat, we'd talk about who had the best ability to use with what enemy, and that coordination is going to be way more important in Baldur's Gate 3, when we can take our turns in any order.

Honestly, a lot of the fun of Larian's games is scrambling to find a solution when shit goes completely wrong. Simultaneous turn-based combat will taunt each of us to jump the gun and move too quickly before talking out a plan. Maddening mistakes in every fight? That's the stuff.

"It works really well in singleplayer but it works really, really well in multiplayer, because you're constantly discussing combos, and that was the thing we were looking for," says Larian founder Swen Vincke. I joked that implementing this sounded like a nightmare for the programmers, which got a smirking, "Yeah, they've been busy for some time already."

Vincke told me about a few other upgrades to the multiplayer system they've made since Original Sin 2. You'll now be able to see what choices your co-op partners are hovering over in dialogue scenes, so you can try to sway each other in the moment. Baldur's Gate 3 will, undoubtedly, be one of the best argument generators of the year.

Shadenuat

Arcane
it was good. BGs struck a nice balance between jansens and keldorns, over the top villains and mundane moments with waifus and sunsets. it was like playing D&D with your retarded but adorable friends. nowadays either companions for some reason get 567 chapters; or writers try to feed you their wonderful lore TM; or everyone is bisexual romance or it's just grimdork fucking everywhere.

and I am a manchild enough to not pretend I didn't like it and I care fuck what u all think. (hugs aerie pillow)

Although, the same can be said about Pathfinder me boy
I can name a few (debates, main villan(s) etc) but you're not wrong

it was servicable. but never reached any heights. I think it would haven been better if there were no paizo companions honestly.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker, no, I believe you when you state you don't gaf about FR anything. And that's your prerogative, especially as a died-in-the-wool, black-pilled Codexer.

But you haven't answered the question as to why Larian in particular, especially after having been criticized with your observation about their not-so-serious reputation and methods, should be the ones to take something quite central to Forgotten Realms established canon in what appears to be a somewhat radical new direction.

My suspicion is that this is going to be justified through some sort of creative McGuffin magic, but until we see evidence of that, ours is to freely speculate.

That’s because you wrongly assume I think they should. I fully expect the writing to be the worst part of this debacle, I just don’t think tadpole lore has got anything to do with it. The weird fucking past tense dialogue and off-putting characters though... and I personally mostly care about getting a 5E simulator with some fine encounters, great loot to find and fun characters to build. The rest is just icing for me. Sorry my D&D fancying bro

In fact, the only thing giving me any hope that I’ll enjoy anything beyond the game’s mechanics is the sheer amount of kitsch promised by the nautiloid dimension-hopping Githyanki dragon-riding mindflayer accordion-playing mayhem going on.

alhtough when you refer to tadpole lore as central it’s so obviously ludicrous I suspect you’re doing some refined trolling that my puny mind didn’t detect which, in that case, well done sir

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Don't D&D oil flasks go as far as 2e if not earlier?
How big is Larian's reach?!
Flasks of oil appeared in original Dungeons & Dragons, with the note that "Burning oil will deter many monsters from continuing pursuit." :obviously:

"My head began to swim, and throb violently. Then, I was aware of a feeling of acute physical pain in my left hand. It grew more severe, and forced, literally forced, my attention. With a tremendous effort, I glanced down; and, with that, the spell that had held me was broken. I realised, then, that I had, in my agitation, unconsciously caught hold of the hot lamp-glass, and burnt my hand, badly. I looked up to the window, again. The misty appearance had gone, and, now, I saw that it was crowded with dozens of bestial faces. With a sudden access of rage, I raised the lamp, and hurled it, full at the window. It struck the glass (smashing a pane), and passed between two of the bars, out into the garden, scattering burning oil as it went. I heard several loud cries of pain, and, as my sight became accustomed to the dark, I discovered that the creatures had left the window."
- W.H. Hodgson, The House on the Borderland, 1908 +M

Turuko

Learned
More than 20 years later and people still remember quote about elven arse. I can't remember a single line of dialogue from any DOS.

HEAR YE HEAR YE QUEEN JUSTINIA EXECUTES TWO DOZEN NOBLEMEN FOR INSUBORDINATION!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also is it just me or did we really need a Faerûnian halfling to use the word ’fucking’? I mean I like Game of Thrones and The Witcher as much as the next guy but I think we’re taking this a bit too far guys. Next we know an Orc’s gonna violate some poor nixie in a cutscene because it’s pegi 18 and mature and as we all know adults make sure to pepper every conversation with as many uses of the word fuck as possible, especially when they’re woodland folk in a bright high fantasy setting

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Kuno in Disco says fucking and faggot so now every game must have ugly idiot swearing at you :shitposting:

This game manages to scream DOS DOS DOS a little more every day, in my opinion
Man Larian are not good at that Witcher 3 walking talking animations dialogue stuff.

I'm not as 101% antagonistic to this game as some but there's something cringy about this

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

Relying on grotesque shock value VS being actually funny

Larian is going to put Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 to shame.

Ulysa

Scholar
It is very hard to tell if the person that uploaded this made some very weird soft and/or hard cuts, or indeed the animations are "stiff".
I guess they will fix animation, what worries me is how BORING the dialogues are. >.<

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Sorcerers are rounded up and killed, how dark! Does it show the teeth grinding of torture or the screams of anguish of loved ones left behind?
Yes it does. D:OS 2 was almost silly grimd0rk in places.
second act features a chef kidnapping people, cutting them up and cooking them into a stew.
first act has kniles the torturer, enough said.
None of this can be taken seriously though because while you're sneaking past the murderer/torturer you're sneaking around in a barrel or your spell animations are you comically waving your arms around. There's times in a video game where you can have some goofyness but when it's ingrained into all the mechanics of the game it can ruin any attempt at being serious.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Outside the Kkkodex, "HURR FOR DEM EYES BOO! DURR FOR DEM EYES!11" is literally the only thing BG is remembered after.

In both cases, I think some of the companion barks are fairly widely remembered (my wife says 'Heya, it's me, Imoen' regularly just for the hell of it and I've seen Linzi quoted quite a bit outside of the Codex ("Applause please!")).

Not that those soundbites really speak to the overall quality of a game's writing anyway.

Tytus

Arcane

Outside the Kkkodex, "HURR FOR DEM EYES BOO! DURR FOR DEM EYES!11" is literally the only thing BG is remembered after.

In both cases, I think some of the companion barks are fairly widely remembered (my wife says 'Heya, it's me, Imoen' regularly just for the hell of it and I've seen Linzi quoted quite a bit outside of the Codex ("Applause please!")).

Not that those soundbites really speak to the overall quality of a game's writing anyway.

I've broken a nail!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom