Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1691542912146.png

There's my heavy armor.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Man the only thing I wish is that I could have 6 characters in my party, I wanted to take a druid with me but I can't rationalize dropping Shadow, Gale or Karlach the bulldozer.
I don't suppose you also created a paladin? Though I have no inclination to take a druid with me; actually was quite irritated that the game forced Halsin into the party as a permanent member.

The four-character party limit is perhaps the most baneful aspect of "D&D 5th edition", first making Solasta's combat far worse than it should have been and now doing the same again for BG3.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
So I've played enough of the game to where I think I can give an honest impression. That is that this game is not bad in terms of AAA games go, although that is faint praise. This game is very much overrated and overhyped to all hells. To those that memed that the game is just going to be DOS3 were right. The story beats and plot to this game are a rehash of DOS2. Just switch the voidwoken and source with parasites and that is pretty much Baldur's Gate 3's story. Character customization is utter ass. Side quest do not contribute at all to game ending. There are just there so you can get improved gear. Swen the dumbass did a Todd Howard and boasted that his game has 17,000 endings when really there are only 7 (10 if you chose Dark Urge). There is no ending slides for factions, NPC's and companions. Camera is giving me Neverwinter Nights 2 flashbacks. UI is dog shit. Dismissing companions is an utter chore. The games main story can be beaten in 20 hours or less. The side quests really are just filler and padding to add to the run time. I wish companions would stop coming on to me whenever I try to be nice to them.

All in all, if you want the game either pirate it or if you are one of those people against piracy wait for the game to go on sale during next years Steam or GOG Summer Sale. The game will be massively discounted by then. This game will be forgotten to the winds once Starfield comes out next month and that game will have a much more longer lifespan and replayability with normies and perverts due to the fact that the character creator will be more customizable and the game will have a much bigger modding community behind it unlike this game. Not to say that Starfield will be the better game but it will be more popular with normies and perverts over this game.

Last edited:

Johnny Biggums

Learned
lol, Wyll. I keep forgetting he exists. He is still level 1 in my party and has his old equipment. He just sits in camp all day and yells "BLADE OF THE FRONTIER".
"What say you to joining forces with the BLADE OF FRONTIERS?"
"Sure whatever, go wait in my camp."
"Yes, a tremendous idea."

*3 days later, slaughter Zelnor and claim the grove in the name of the Absolute*
Wyll has permanently left your party

"Who tf is Wyll?"

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I've played enough of the game to where I think I can give an honest impression. That is that this game is not bad in terms of AAA games go, although that is faint praise. This game is very much overrated and overhyped to all hells. To those that memed that the game is just going to be DOS3 were right. The story beats and plot to this game are a rehash of DOS2. Just switch the voidwoken and source with parasites and that is pretty much Baldur's Gate 3's story. Character customization is utter ass. Side quest do not contribute at all to game ending. There are just there so you can get improved gear. Swen the dumbass did a Todd Howard and boasted that his game has 17,000 endings when really there are only 7 (10 if you chose Dark Urge). There is no ending slides for factions, NPC's and companions. Camera is giving me Neverwinter Nights 2 flashbacks. UI is dog shit. Dismissing companions is an utter chore. The games main story can be beaten in 20 hours or less. The side quests really are just filler and padding to add to the run time. I wish companions would stop coming on to me whenever I try to be nice to them.

All in all, if you want the game either pirate it or if you are one of those people against piracy wait for the game to go on sale during next years Steam or GOG Summer Sale. The game will be massively discounted by then. This game will be forgotten to the winds once Starfield comes out next month and that game will have a much more longer lifespan and replayability with normies and perverts due to the fact that the character creator will be more customizable and the game will have a much bigger modding community behind it unlike this game.
To be 100% fair, nobody was expecting a piece of art from a BG title. The BG games have been mediocre and popular. And this one is no different.

So the real question that you need to address is: as a title aimed at the 100 IQ, did you enjoy it?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Swen the dumbass did a Todd Howard and boasted that his game has 17,000 endings
Oh no! Only 10 endings?! :lol:

This is a lie. Larian said there were 17,000 different combinations of player choices. And it wasn't even Swen that said it. It was a youtuber, who put it in the thumbnail as "endings", when the video says variations. Clickbait.

Did you really believe there would be 17,000 unique endings based on a youtube video Larian didn't even make?

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
To be 100% fair, nobody was expecting a piece of art from a BG title. The BG games have been mediocre and popular. And this one is no different.

So the real question that you need to address is: as a title aimed at the 100 IQ, did you enjoy it?
Honestly, it is pretty meh with me. I thought it was okay but I have no desire to play the game again. I have a feeling many people aren't going to replay the game again after their first run.
Swen the dumbass did a Todd Howard and boasted that his game has 17,000 endings
Oh no! Only 10 endings?! :lol:

This is a lie. Larian said there were 17,000 different combinations of player choices. And it wasn't even Swen that said it. It was a youtuber, who put it in the thumbnail as "endings", when the video says variations. Clickbait.

Did you really believe there would be 17,000 unique endings based on a youtube video Larian didn't even make?
Then this goes to show the absolute cope of the Baldur's Gate 3 community and fanboys. It isn't even that great of a game. It is just, okay. I don't understand the hype and defense that people have towards this game. Are people really so desperate to view Larian as the "Saviors of Gaming" that they are overlooking the glaring flaws that this game has? It is just ridiculous to me.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Then this goes to show the absolute cope of the Baldur's Gate 3 community and fanboys.
You quoting clickbait as fact does show cope: your own.
It isn't even that great of a game. It is just, okay.
So even you admit it's a fine game lol.
I don't understand the hype and defense
The hype is marketing. The defense is because people use made up bullshit to attack the game instead of facts.

Then again, I can see why you did it. Whining that it "only" has 10 endings sounds pretty weak without the made-up 17 gorillion ending cope.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Then this goes to show the absolute cope of the Baldur's Gate 3 community and fanboys. It isn't even that great of a game. It is just, okay. I don't understand the hype and defense that people have towards this game. Are people really so desperate to view Larian as the "Saviors of Gaming" that they are overlooking the glaring flaws that this game has? It is just ridiculous to me.

I think the codex, uh, braintrust is already working its way to a balanced take and won't overlook the glaring flaws (ruleset, ruleset implementation, companions, the UI, inventory and party control, it goes on) and we could (and will) argue what else should be included in the laundry list, but you're giving the game too little credit imo.

Perkel

Arcane
Is "Sturdy" not coded properly? It seemed like I needed to roll over 10 damage with just the weapon, instead of the total damage (str and magical bonus at least) being counted towards it.
GWF, greatsword, and a +5 damage modifier should be doing damage pretty regularly against DR 10.

Look at resistances. Usually all sturdy material things have halved or outright null damage from slashing/piercing. You need blunt weapon and actually do 10+ damage.

Hagashager

Educated
To be fair, that's very DnD. It's extremely hard to keep a PnP campaign from devolving into Monty Python, even with veteran players who get into character more aggressively.

I actually quite like Larian's D:OS 2, I'd argue it was pretty good at balancing whimsy with grit.

BG3 looks like it's very much capturing the tone and aburdism of a bog standard 5E group.

This is 1000% more challenging with nu-D&D especially. I was running some 5E Roll20 games online for a few years as a DM with randos from the internet. The amount of "Critical Role" effect cannot be overstated. Everyone wants to be ironic, edgy, "in on the joke", etc. It is seen as thee way to play vs A way to play. There are also a LOT of females in Roll20 games for the same reasons Zoomettes who watched Critical Role and like the social part of the interaction but have little interest in number crunching.
I already shed my own stories previously on the "critical role ruined PNP" thread months ago. Suffice it to say, female PnP players are no better than male, they have a particular brand of embarassing that is distinct from the male neckbeard counterparts. You can go read it if you're so inclined.

I don't actually dislike 5e, but I've played it the least and half the games I did play were truly awful players.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I avoided most information about BG3 prior to release and didn't have anything to do with EA, because I wanted to experience the complete game. As a result I am not really reading this thread (until I have played the game some more anyway), so I am sure what I am about to post has already been discussed but I am going to complain about it again anyway.

I am really not liking how they arbitrarily limit dialog options so far. Making asking one question arbitrarily lock you out of asking other questions is dumb. I am still at the start of the game, but I have seen this enough times that I assume that's how dialog is.

For the example that caused me to log in and comment, why can't I ask the guy at the druid grove about their problem with the druids and about where I can find a healer? How does ending the dialog after I ask about their problem with the druids without letting me also ask about finding a healer promote good gameplay?

The only thing it is promoting is me having to waste my time save scumming conversations just so I can ask multiple questions. If it is supposed to promote replayability, it is a really dumb way to do it and it isn't going to get me to play the game a second and third time just to ask different questions in a new playthrough.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Finally got around playing this shit, decided to make the most cookie cutter character ever:

Screenshot-3.png

His name is Godfrey btw lmao.

Of course, after this i then got greeded with another character screen, some shit about a female guardian, and lo and behold, all of the female faces you can chose from are ugly as shit, except for this one, so i rolled with it lmao:

Screenshot-4.png

Trailer was meh for me. Ye ye sure muh production values after a while i started losing interesting in what was happening. I think the super shitty and generic music is what did it.

Either way, moving on, to the tutorial!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW FSR is pretty good. This is the first game i've actually got a chance to try it on. At ultra pre-set i gain around 20-30 FPS. Haven't really attempted to see if i can spot the visual degradation but i think the gains are worth it no matter what. Currently getting around 60-65 FPS with all the graphics at max setting except for depth of field which i took out entirely. Of course this is just the tutorial and i'm sure the performance will degrade battling large groups or when hitting a town but i'm surprised at how well it plays considering i heard people bitching the game was slow on nu-shit like 4000 series Nvidia cards.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
To be fair, that's very DnD. It's extremely hard to keep a PnP campaign from devolving into Monty Python, even with veteran players who get into character more aggressively.

I actually quite like Larian's D:OS 2, I'd argue it was pretty good at balancing whimsy with grit.

BG3 looks like it's very much capturing the tone and aburdism of a bog standard 5E group.

This is 1000% more challenging with nu-D&D especially. I was running some 5E Roll20 games online for a few years as a DM with randos from the internet. The amount of "Critical Role" effect cannot be overstated. Everyone wants to be ironic, edgy, "in on the joke", etc. It is seen as thee way to play vs A way to play. There are also a LOT of females in Roll20 games for the same reasons Zoomettes who watched Critical Role and like the social part of the interaction but have little interest in number crunching.
I already shed my own stories previously on the "critical role ruined PNP" thread months ago. Suffice it to say, female PnP players are no better than male, they have a particular brand of embarassing that is distinct from the male neckbeard counterparts. You can go read it if you're so inclined.

I don't actually dislike 5e, but I've played it the least and half the games I did play were truly awful players.
Link? cant find

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So BG3 is no faceroll? Good to know. I figure you can make it as easy or difficult as you want by either maximizing or limiting the number of companions in your party. Never played a Dragon Age game and this kind of feels like it would be similar but brought up to modern D&D and technical standards with plenty of eye candy.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So BG3 is no faceroll? Good to know. I figure you can make it as easy or difficult as you want by either maximizing or limiting the number of companions in your party. Never played a Dragon Age game and this kind of feels like it would be similar but brought up to modern D&D and technical standards with plenty of eye candy.
first advice - never go below tactician. enemies will lose their most dangerous active skills.

Lemming42

Arcane
I have a feeling many people aren't going to replay the game again after their first run.
Yeah, I'm a fan of the game but as I near the finale, I'm starting to think this.

It was a very lush and enjoyable experience all around and the superb production values, sound design, voice acting etc all make it very easy to get swept up into, but it definitely won't really stand up to many replays. Maybe just one to see the evil route.

I'm gonna bet that it does have the same problem as BioWare's stuff too - during a first playthrough it looks like there's a huge amount of player agency and choice, but a second playthrough would end up feeling very similar, story and C&C-wise. There is some impressive C&C going on at times which I've noticed but at the same time you're gonna be going through more or less the exact same plot and watching many identical cutscenes and picking the same dialogue options no matter what choices you make.

I can see it as being something it'd be fun to replay once every couple years or so, when you've forgotten enough of it to be bowled over by the sheer slickness and professionalism of it all again. There's nothing wrong with that - it's a summer blockbuster that blows you away with its splendour and gives you a hell of a good time while it lasts, but then it's time to move on to something else.

Kiste

Augur
I wasn't planning on trying BG3 out so soon, but now even I am genuinely curious.

Also LOL if you thought I would ever give Larian even a nickel for their coomer games.
You're still playing the coomer game, you're just being a cheap Jew about it, so joke's on you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom