Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a way to mute the narrator? I hate her.
I don't think so. I read faster than she voice acts, so I just right click to move on to the next dialog.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is there a way to mute the narrator? I hate her.
I don't think so. I read faster than she voice acts, so I just right click to move on to the next dialog.
As with other voiced dialogue in RPGs, this is very useful for console plebs, since reading long lines of text on your TV from a few meters is harder than on your monitor in front of you.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am still in Act 1 but so far I love that there aren't any conspicuous quest-hubs or boring town levels, but that everything is interconnected (not only geography, but also story and quests) and explorable.
Yeah, filled open world is much better than hubs. I'm 36 hours in and still on the first map. Looks like this game will take a long time to complete, but so far it's pure fun, no chance of getting bored any time soon.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW FSR is pretty good. This is the first game i've actually got a chance to try it on. At ultra pre-set i gain around 20-30 FPS. Haven't really attempted to see if i can spot the visual degradation but i think the gains are worth it no matter what. Currently getting around 60-65 FPS with all the graphics at max setting except for depth of field which i took out entirely. Of course this is just the tutorial and i'm sure the performance will degrade battling large groups or when hitting a town but i'm surprised at how well it plays considering i heard people bitching the game was slow on nu-shit like 4000 series Nvidia cards.

Maybe you should worry less about sniffing out faggotry and degeneracy and non-whites in video games and more about not being a poorfag so you can afford a better video card.

Instead of spamming the codex with edgy 4chan anti-woke takes, you could work a couple of hours and earn some money. Something appropriate to your intellect, like shoveling shit at your local pig farm for minimum wage.

It would be an all-around win-win. We would be spared your shitposting, the pig farmer gets the shit shoveled from the pigsty and you might be able to afford a new video card so you can enjoy this great game with better frame rate and image quality.

I think you need to clean the sand in your vagina dude. It's making you cranky.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ok, so I finally beat the actual Act 2 boss. Now I see. It was a pretty easy fight. I think the roof fight was harder.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
For example, one weird consequence, might be the idea that big publishers should revive other late 90s dormant CRPG franchises, that they have sitting in their IP bins. Something like Icewind Dale III.
With Tolkien Jr. dying somewhat recently, that franchise has been whored out a bunch. We could get a Middle Earth cRPG.
I just don't see any good RPG coming out of Middle Earth ever. Whatever gets published will be compared to the Ring trilogy storywise and come short. At best we get something with good gameplay but servicable story in some of the lesser explored regions of the settings but then it will just feel like generic fantasy.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Yeah, I'm a fan of the game but as I near the finale, I'm starting to think this.
As I'm nearing clearing out the first map, I wonder how much front-loaded is the game? What's the proportion of the time you spent on the first map vs the rest, and did you skip much?
Act 1 is potentially 4 maps, with 3 being slightly smaller and less involved than the first with the druids.

Act 2 is much shorter by comparison, but features a tower, a large camp, a main map area that's mostly empty but has several encounters and fairly large and complex dungeon with several puzzles and at least one challenging fight.

I'm just nearing the end of Act 2. However, I've skipped the large camp, since I'm doing an evil playthrough.

I imagine Act 3 is Baldur's gate.

As far as front loading goes, if you're still on the first map, you've seen maybe half of Act 1. Depending on whether you've gone to the Underdark yet and how much content you intend to mine once there.

It really depends though, because if you aren't a completionism, you could do most of Act 1 fairly quickly. But then you might end up under-leveled.

Act 2 has more maps that this. At least 1 medium one as well as a couple scene maps.

Still not as big as Act 1 - but you haven’t seen everything yet.

At what are you referring to talking about maps? The single locations that are marked by an individual waypoint I assume?

jackofshadows

Magister
@Larianshill at least the game recognized my brave stupidity :lol:

6SAbusq.jpg
I didn't try it "normaly" on tactician but judging by what I've seen in the EA, this way (if you're able to deal some damage ofc, I went with buffed Laezel and a maul or something) the fight is actually easier because after you bang him there're adds spawns and I imagine plenty of them on tactician.

To other news, for fuck's sake, game! I'd thought Gale just wanted to talk, you know so I went to talk but when I realized where the things are going I fucked right off. But the game didn't recognize it at all:
2D8477A37714664E00E6FB2265298D3C811D09F0

Reinhardt

Arcane

6SAbusq.jpg
I didn't try it "normaly" on tactician but judging by what I've seen in the EA, this way (if you're able to deal some damage ofc, I went with buffed Laezel and a maul or something) the fight is actually easier because after you bang him there're adds spawns and I imagine plenty of them on tactician.

To other news, for fuck's sake, game! I'd thought Gale just wanted to talk, you know so I went to talk but when I realized where the things are going I fucked right off. But the game didn't recognize it at all:
elf and mage together. can it be more ghey than this?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
lol, Wyll. I keep forgetting he exists. He is still level 1 in my party and has his old equipment. He just sits in camp all day and yells "BLADE OF THE FRONTIER".
"What say you to joining forces with the BLADE OF FRONTIERS?"
"Sure whatever, go wait in my camp."
"Yes, a tremendous idea."

*3 days later, slaughter Zelnor and claim the grove in the name of the Absolute*
Wyll has permanently left your party

"Who tf is Wyll?"
20 hours after putting Wyll out of his misery, I received a message that he approves of something I said. :M IIRC, this is the first time it's happened. His corpse still appears in my camp, though, even as I've travelled through the Underdark to the Grymforge.

And that's the power of love.

But you did spend the night together. Training spells and feeling nested inside Mystra's warm hands. Which does sound like an euphemism for sex, but no.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

6SAbusq.jpg

So many of you fools fail your [perception/wisdom] check even for such obvious stuff.

IT'S EVEN IN THE NAME

You literally cannot pronounce Gale (ɡeɪl) without gay (ɡeɪ).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You are recounting the facts correctly, but what is your point? What you recount confirms what I said: same as BG and BG2 back in the day, same as Witcher 3 in 2015, same as Crusader Kings II, BG3 succeeds on the back of two main advantages: more accessible than before, higher production values.
DAO: Inquisition and Mass Effect had much much more production values than prequels and much more accessible, with heavy marketing. It didn't save them. Production values alone cannot make a good game - studio team is what matters. Owlcat managed to make Pathfinder into a decent RPG with meager resources but a ddgood creative team.
There has to be something solid to start with that you then make more accessible and as you continue down that road eventually that solidity disappears and accessibility is all that remains. No one seems to be able to strike that balance.

I think accessibility is key when it comes to normies but i agree you also need a decently substantial base to start with, which both BG1/2 had, and BG3 may or may not have (i'll find out as i go along i guess).

Accesssibility also comes in many forms. I think Torment was more accessible than Pillars of Eternity despite the fact both games were too overburderning for the average normie on account of their attempt at "deconstructing" the standard fantasy tropes normies tend to gravitate to (normies in general want an easy going escapism, they don't want to be "challenged" or be forced to step out of their comfort zones) because while Pillars was dry and prosaic, Torment was poetic and thus easier to absorb and come to terms with.

Ultimately, i think the fallacy the industry seems to be running on is that they think that because normies want stuff that is easy going and untroubling or unstressful (which means "standard" fantasy settings will always be more popular than alternative ones), they are automatically assumed to be completely braindead, which is not necessarely the case. I think normies can also recognize good design when they see it. In this sense, "production values" that are purely in the service of the presentation can often miss the mark. Blizzard of old had high production values that were in the service of accessibility. The gameplay in their games was more fluid and intuitive than the competition, their systems were easy and immediate to get into despite being difficult to master in the long run, which i'm sure helped a great deal in making their games so massively popular.

Of course, i'm sure the industry people will not learn shit by the success of this game and will continue with their old assumptions, that isometric games don't work, that turn based combat doesn't sell, that the less substance a game has, the easier it is to get into and so forth. I fully predict BG3 will make no actual impact and AAA gaming companies will continue to produce their worthless slop.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
I savescummed, and then went with the savescum only once, and I think it was the harpy fight. But I found there really isn't need to, as I'm swimming in inspirations on all characters and can reroll a lot.

Swimming in inspirations is a good way to tell you play the game as intended.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, they really couldn't bother to make an old school type manual, even just in pdf form? How fucking lame.

A manual for the streamline popamole that is 5E? How OLD are you? 80?

Reading the manual in BG1 is one of the most fun childhood experiences i ever had. I used to carry that thing with me everywhere.

I figured since this game was marketed to nostalgia fags they would have offered something like that, even if in PDF form (Pillars did have some PDF literature for instance). But nope. Guess the fact they kept fucking around the mechanics during the five centuries this game was in EA is probably part of the reason they didn't bother, but still.

Lemming42

Arcane
Really starting to burn out on the game as I get near the end - but that's after over 60 hours of rock-solid fun that kept me playing all through the past few days, so can't complain. Looking like a firm contender for GOTY.

But yes, the game's unfathomable success surely means that good things lie ahead for the genre. At the very least, we're about to enter an age of turn-based, which will hopefully learn the lessons of the nu-XCOM era and come up with something fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom