Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Takamori

Learned
Writing wise only complaint so far is how Halsin and Gale are really thirsty for player cock/vulva. The other companions are well behaved unless you bring that you wanna dick them down they won't touch the subject.

Longes

Augur
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric
Esoteric?

Yes. It's very unintuitive in my opinion
It's a litmus test to see if people are retarded.

If you see them complaining about the UI, they are low IQ.
Come on Swen the UI is dogshit.
How? Which one is sooo much better and why?

It could be more aesthetic for sure but it's really functional.
Add categorization buttons in the inventory. They already exist in the trade screen - just add them to the inventory.
Remove the Barter screen, which is completely useless, and open me to the Trade screen at all times.
Prioritize opening new windows in the free space rather than over existing windows. Whenever there's an environment object that needs something inserted its window is displayed exactly in the center of the screen, so I need to move it every single time because it always overlaps with the inventory window.
Let me sort inventory in the group view (Tab).
Add a button for hoovering up all the ingredients and supplies into the ingredient and supply bags, because they don't go there automatically half the time.
In fact, automatically move all supplies to the camp chest instead of having me do that manually as an extra step.
Add a book bag similar to the two above.
Camp supply selector doesn't know how to split up stacks, so it'll regularly auto-select like 60/40 supplies because it doesn't know how to handle ten stacks of chicken.
Sort inventory automatically to the selected type.

In a normal game, Shadowheart (cringe name if there ever was one) would be seen as the pathetic fan service waifu option (like Aerie in BG2).
Hey, at least I can actively make Shadowheart worse and push her to be the worst version of herself.

My party is Shadowheart, Astarion (he's a delight), and Minthara. Minthara is a lot more hinged than I expected, which is a bit sad, but it is what it is.

Jaunty

Literate
It's interesting that the most relatable and down-to-earth companion is the murderous alien frog girl from another dimension.

Takamori

Learned
Also I didn't inject a single parasite in my brain so far, the game acknowledge to an extent but I remember seeing an interview where you could sacrifice getting power from the parasites and get power from other meanings? I have yet to see those boons the game seems really keen on forcing you to use the brainworms.

Longes

Augur
Really pleasantly surprised since I thought DOS:2 was terrible
Like I said, even the Larian haters love it.

BG3 is the most influential and most succesful CRPG of ALL TIME. It's time for the autistis on here to accept that fact.
Let's not be hasty here. It's no Rance. Get back to me when half the modern anime regurgitates tropes and plot points from BG3.

YOiqS8n.png

Incidentally, this is as close as I could get in the character creator:

n2VSnqS.png
CUbqycV.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The toilet-chain is the ultimate example of this. It is the most dumbfounding replacement for a system that works flawlessly and has worked flawlessly for 20 years I've ever seen in a game.
I'm pretty sure they are keeping this because of some underlying technical problem with reworking it.

It's likely connected to the pathfinding algorithms they use, maybe they've tested "drag-select and click", but it turned out characters bump into each other like idiots.

The current algorithm is that either party members follow one character, who leaves waypoints for them on the road (this is pretty efficient), or you command them one by one, so they are moving in an area where they know which place is occupied.

If you are quick at clicking, you can try assigning individual orders to two characters and depending on how much room there is, you will see that if one character blocks the other from reaching the initial destination, the blocked character will stop in place.

Now imagine this happens when you've lasso-selected all characters, not just two. You'll end up with "shitty pathfinding" because almost every time at least two characters will end up blocked. It will be a nightmare to test this pathfinding with the kind of maps larian are making.

So removing the toilet chain is most likely a huge amout of work and Swen won't even admit it when confronted in his forum or elsewhere, I remember him responding that the toilet chain works ok and they see no need to change it, at some point in the D:OS2 times.

There are many videos explaining pathfinding in videogames in Youtube. Watch some for more information on the different algorithms, it's quite interesting.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Really pleasantly surprised since I thought DOS:2 was terrible
Like I said, even the Larian haters love it.

BG3 is the most influential and most succesful CRPG of ALL TIME. It's time for the autistis on here to accept that fact.
Let's not be hasty here. It's no Rance. Get back to me when half the modern anime regurgitates tropes and plot points from BG3.

YOiqS8n.png
The japanese and weeb minds will blown the fck away about this rpg and will finally know REAL ROLE PLAYING.

Only thing holding it back are the bugs but Larian is working hard on that too. Also I don't know if the japanese language is available yet.

But BG3 being the most influential crpg is just a fact, NO other crpg comes even close in critical or commercial success.

It also buck broke 4chan and the codex. Legendary

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played very little of D:OS/2 but I don't think maps were as good there as they are here.

not even close
My wife played through both of them. Completionist urge "finish the damn thing" after the first couple of chapters. So I've mostly been looking over her shoulder, but I don't remember especially good maps.

Longes

Augur
Actually, if there's one thing I really, really hate in BG3 it's that anyone can start a conversation with anyone. I frequently have to refight bosses because the boss decides to have a post-fight conversation with Lae'zel (melee fighter standing close to the boss) instead of me (person with social skills).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've played very little of D:OS/2 but I don't think maps were as good there as they are here.

not even close
My wife played through both of them. Completionist urge "finish the damn thing" after the first couple of chapters. So I've mostly been looking over her shoulder, but I don't remember especially good maps.

I got more than halfway into DOS2 and didn't even finish it. That happens very rarely for me, I tend to finish even games I don't like if I get far enough into them. I believe I quit in disgust when I found some supersick legendary weapon with the exact right stats for my char, only to find a blue replacement one level later because the level scaling meant the base stat far exceeded my "perfect item"

Elthosian

Arcane
Actually, if there's one thing I really, really hate in BG3 it's that anyone can start a conversation with anyone. I frequently have to refight bosses because the boss decides to have a post-fight conversation with Lae'zel (melee fighter standing close to the boss) instead of me (person with social skills).
Isn’t there a setting for that? Auto-select avatar after combat or sth.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
[EDIT] Ok this shit is confusing me now. So we all have a camp, know about it, can go there at any point. How? We just crashed from the Wraith ship, i mean, the Ilithid ship how the fuck does everybody know of a camp now. And where is this camp anyway? And can i stow my shit to camp? Wouldn't that make equip load redudant?
It's the Netherese waypoints. They let you teleport places.

I think the first time you go to camp, it says something like this being a good area to setup camp.

Obviously it's all just an abstraction though. Like when people give you directions and don't actually tell you were to go, but a waypoint appears on your map. Welcome to modern RPGs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

This is even worse in stealth (where guards that catch you will initiate with a random party member) or after long boss fights. The latter in particular can be frustrating, for example:

I went into the Minsc fight with extremely drained resources and it was a very close fight, and after the fight the game teleported my MC, but not Jaheira with her, to Minsc, so I didn't get Jaheira to calm him down

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Writing wise only complaint so far is how Halsin and Gale are really thirsty for player cock/vulva. The other companions are well behaved unless you bring that you wanna dick them down they won't touch the subject.

Nope. Astarion wants that dick right from the start. And Wyll eventually tries his luck.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Nevermind i take back what I said about it being great. The leap of faith trial is trialing my faith in Larian games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Isn’t there a setting for that? Auto-select avatar after combat or sth.

No, that just makes you select that character after a fight. It has nothing to do with who auto-initiates conversation. Some bosses are scripted to talk to your MC, but some just initiate with who is the closest.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Nevermind i take back what I said about it being great. The leap of faith trial is trialing my faith in Larian games.
It's pretty simple yeah. More annoying than anything. You just have one character go right, go straight up the middle, jump on the platform, jump straight again and then jump to the other side.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Agree about the level design. My favorite aspect from the game thus far. Pretty much my favorite CRPG in that aspect along with Underrail.
But unlike Underrail, in BG3 there is almost never only one way to enter or leave a location.

Nope. Astarion wants that dick right from the start. And Wyll eventually tries his luck.
I swear if I catch Halsin pumping Gale, I'll behead both the sodomites!

So it sounds like everyone in BG3 fucks everyone else, including animals, and people are buying it in droves. I'll fight my cynical interpretation of that fact and say it's because people have just been jonesin' for another BG game, not that the game is validating and normalizing a bunch of players who dream of a world that's inclusive of everything except heterosexuality and who want to fuck their partners, their friends, all of nature itself, and even pay to watch Minsc fuck Boo. My cynicism tells me that it's people who might not even know Minsc and Boo, but no, I musn't gatekeep the good people with bear cum on their lips. I'll silence that cynicism within me. I'm sure it's just doing mega-numbers because of its genre and gameplay alone.

Right?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Agree about the level design. My favorite aspect from the game thus far. Pretty much my favorite CRPG in that aspect along with Underrail.
But unlike Underrail, in BG3 there is almost never only one way to enter or leave a location.

Hmm, are there actually any locations you can't enter from multiple angles? Except for the dungeons, but those don't really count, because once you're in those you can approach them from multiple different directions and go through them in multiple ways.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins.
Gale can open any locks with a Knock spell, Lae'zel can cover for pickpocketing and lockpicking with her racial ability that gives her proficiency in skills, a lot of the doors (although not all of them) are breakable. A rogue is not mandatory.

And you said that Wizards having knock spell is a bad design since it takes the "job" of rogue, is thanks to this spell that we don't need to take Astarion and can kill him. But did they changed his vampirism in the full game? Or he still only get minor actives and passives?

We need BG3 anime

Many games got it. Castlevania, DMC, Cyberbug and so on.

All those tough anti-woke Staffel bitching about the game while playing it nonstop and secretly enjoying it. Swen is plunging the 'Dex into a moral panic.

Just wait till a mod enables middle east localization.

As for LGBT+ stuff, I have nothing against having LGBT+ content for such market portion. My problem is the idea that anything that the average white cisgender male likes is heresy and any shit "against standards", including bestiality p0rn, ""progress"".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom