Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Karlach is the worst companion in the game and it is obvious bad faith to use her as an example of the writing in general. I feel like shutting down the game whenever she opens her mouth, I don't have that experience with many other parts of the writing.
she is by far the worst, but the other 3 early game companions only look better in direct comparison, and everytime they interact with her and suck on her enlarged roid clit they damage what little good will i had towards them.

I disagree, but even if I didn't, scenes like the Shadowlands hospital can be cherrypicked to make the exact opposite case: that this game has stellar and atmospheric D&D writing.

Which we know isn't the case either (every single tiefling in the game is proof). Looking at the writing holistically it clearly contains a lot of atmospheric and fantastically creative ideas, as well as a bunch of eyerollingly modernized crap.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Love it how retards like Lyric Suite are talking about "writing", meanwhile they're SHIT themselves at writing.

MANY SUCH AUTISTS ON THE CODEX!
As a rule, they are shit at reading too, so it makes sense.

You are projecting too much i'm just trying to assess the game by checking options and gouging consequences and how they are written in the game.
"I'm just trying to assess... maybe just once in the ass, and I won't go gay immediately..."

Man, at least you're playing the game now and hopefully you'll be able to form your own opinions, when you have glimpses of sanity between culture war shit ramblings.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
We need BG3 anime

afbeelding.png

Takamori

Learned
I'm a pally that means with this shit party limit i'll probably won't take her. One full fighter is enough i think and elf waifu can be my back up tank slash healer/buffbot (assuming clerics work the same in 5E as in the past).

Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins. I hope there's a way to bypass the need to have a rogue for that kind of stuff because with a party limit of 4 that would be pretty fucking annoying.

I'm starting to think i should have just rolled as a mage for my main instead, but too late now, i ain't restarting.

BTW, the intro for the black guy (Wyll) was SOOOOO fucking cringe lmao. I also thought he was a Warlock why did he show up like Errol Flynn?
I'd assume they were trying to show that he is a pact of blade warlock?

No idea what that is, was just caught by surprise by how cringy that intro was compared to what i had pictured in my head going by what i assumed a warlock would be like.
Its the warlock that bind his demonic powers in his weapon or just manifest a weapon with his demon pact. Its a nice build to go with, given that you are a human with Wyll you can get a feat with medium armor prof and have nice AC and keep yourself on the frontline + spells.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So i send the waifu to camp to avoid getting a negative yelp review for freeing the gyth (which i have to so what the hell is this) and she hands me the thingy she is holding for some reason. So much for being such a guarded secret.
First you were astounded anyone plays this "tranny game" (disbelief phase). We somehow skipped through the anger phase, you've gone through the bargaining that you won't trigger any gay shit, and even if you do, the game has redeeming qualities, and we're now in the acceptance phase where you play it. :lol:

I get all that, understand you, but why play the game so wrong? It's an RPG not a girls high school simulator where everyone has to like you. Have you been permanently damaged by playing post-BG2 bioware shit? For all your railing against wokeism you've probably played too much of that too.
That’s the kind of stuff that gave us the insta-win button for Shadowheart in the nautiloid. People can’t handle not having the full party slurping their assholes (in a no-homo way).

In a normal game, Shadowheart (cringe name if there ever was one) would be seen as the pathetic fan service waifu option (like Aerie in BG2).

That's exactly what she is in BG3, and you can make up a thousand excuses for why you want to smell her ponytail, but it all sounds very "I... I promise I-I'm not into the-these digital modern thots, i-it's just that she's the *least* bad guys, I-I mean it"

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric
Esoteric?

Yes. It's very unintuitive in my opinion
It's a litmus test to see if people are retarded.

If you see them complaining about the UI, they are low IQ.

Elthosian

Arcane
So i send the waifu to camp to avoid getting a negative yelp review for freeing the gyth (which i have to so what the hell is this) and she hands me the thingy she is holding for some reason. So much for being such a guarded secret.
First you were astounded anyone plays this "tranny game" (disbelief phase). We somehow skipped through the anger phase, you've gone through the bargaining that you won't trigger any gay shit, and even if you do, the game has redeeming qualities, and we're now in the acceptance phase where you play it. :lol:

I get all that, understand you, but why play the game so wrong? It's an RPG not a girls high school simulator where everyone has to like you. Have you been permanently damaged by playing post-BG2 bioware shit? For all your railing against wokeism you've probably played too much of that too.
That’s the kind of stuff that gave us the insta-win button for Shadowheart in the nautiloid. People can’t handle not having the full party slurping their assholes (in a no-homo way).

In a normal game, Shadowheart (cringe name if there ever was one) would be seen as the pathetic fan service waifu option (like Aerie in BG2). In a game where every other female character is one variaiton or another of butch stronk woman who needs no man, there's no way i'm letting go of the waifu lmao. At least i get to have ONE female in the game that looks and acts like a female. I see winning over Shadowheart as my personal act of defiance against this gender bending shit.

What winning over? You can get her to love you 10 hours in without even trying. She gives you approval for either being compassionate or deceitful meaning you have to go out of your way to get her to hate you. “Defiance” lol.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric
Esoteric?

No, it's classic Larian. Instead of doing things in a way that's been working for a long time, they try to reinvent their wheel: the result being identical to the method everyone else uses, just with more steps.

The toilet-chain is the ultimate example of this. It is the most dumbfounding replacement for a system that works flawlessly and has worked flawlessly for 20 years I've ever seen in a game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

In a normal game, Shadowheart (cringe name if there ever was one) would be seen as the pathetic fan service waifu option (like Aerie in BG2).

That's exactly what she is in BG3, and you can make up a thousand excuses for why you want to smell her ponytail, but it all sounds very "I... I promise I-I'm not into the-these digital modern thots, i-it's just that she's the *least* bad guys, I-I mean it"

From what i've seen she is the only female in the game that is actually female. She stands out as a beacon of normality in a gender warped universe and i'll take it. My main is a goodie two shoes pally (also intentionally chosen because i plan to wage war against this game's conception of morality), so she is a good fit.

Who am i supposed to take anyway? Butch woman number 1 and 2? Faggots who want to suck my cock number 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Shin

Cipher
I hope Larian will get to work on a Planescape: Torment sequel next. The Nameless One could be the Genderless One and we'd travel around the material plane having buttsecks with creatures of all different races. Party banter would be much elevated, like the scene wherein one can violently throat-fuck Dak'kon on a table of the Smoldering Corpse Bar while Morte's licking your bunghole. Also, to give a nod to the original game, the theme of the game could be 'What can change the nature of a straight white man', which could be a fascinating subject in the hands of our Belgium masters of prose. (spoiler: the answer is 'playing BG3')

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Who am i supposed to take anyway?

"the writing is faggotry and the love interests are woke bullshit, but I'm going to take one anyway"

"why not just skip having one"

"who else am i going to take, frog lady? faggot vampire?"

"well you could take no on-"

"i'm going to sniff teenage mutant barbarian's ponytail? no siree!"

"i mean it's totally an option just skipping cringe ro-"

"imma go hard on SUPER CRINGE, SUPER NOT FOR ME Shadowheart's tits, my dudes. For science, I promise!!!"

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Esoteric?

Unintuitive, I can agree, if you expect bad, as is the norm, your expectations would be countered.

Try to redesign it mentally, in the way you would like it to be, and you'll see there was much thought put into this UI.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that the game doesn't seem to get enough credit for its map design. I found the temple of Selune an amazing dungeon, taken straight from a PnP module, flexible in how you can play it, violently, non-violently, stealthily, it fits however you go through it.

And now I get to the Rosymorn Monastery and I'm like the Vince McMahon meme, as in it gets better and better. I've played very little of D:OS/2 but I don't think maps were as good there as they are here.

It's evident there has been a very solid and productive relationship between PnP module designers and Larian, but we can only guess how it worked and which parts of this goodness is owed to whom.

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned

Esoteric?

Come on Swen the UI is dogshit.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Esoteric?

How? Which one is sooo much better and why?

It could be more aesthetic for sure but it's really functional.

Elthosian

Arcane

Esoteric?

Unintuitive, I can agree, if you expect bad, as is the norm, your expectations would be countered.

Try to redesign mentally, it the way you would like it to be, and you'll see there was much thought put into this UI.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that the game doesn't seem to get enough credit for its map design. I found the temple of Selune an amazing dungeon, taken straight from a PnP module, flexible in how you can play it, violently, non-violently, stealthily, it fits however you go through it.

And now I get to the Rosymorn Monastery and I'm like the Vince McMahon meme, as in it gets better and better. I've played very little of D:OS/2 but I don't think maps were as good there as they are here.

It's evident there has been a very solid and productive relationship between PnP module designers and Larian, but we can only guess how it worked and which parts of this goodness is owed to whom.

I find the main UI has a few issues with how everything is distributed but it’s gotten better by learning the main keyboard shortcuts.

The inventory UI on the other hand drives me crazy because there’s no space between your equipment and your items and I always try to re-equip my rings and shit.

Agree about the level design. My favorite aspect from the game thus far. Pretty much my favorite CRPG in that aspect along with Underrail.

Takamori

Learned

Esoteric?

How? Which one is sooo much better and why?

It could be more aesthetic for sure but it's really functional.
Of all CRPGs? I remember not having issues with either DoS2 and PoE.
They tried to make it a weird custom UI for users to mess with it, if it was just 3 tabs spells, attack skill/action and items. Not this weird stuff where you lock yourself into a category and have to return to a certain state of the bar to locate yourself again.
Also inventory UI could be better done with sell junk/treasure button but I guess they didnt wanna spoil what items are quest items that you should keep?

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
It's very difficult to discuss how writing is good or bad unless you have the script in front of you. When you're playing a game all you can do is vaguely gesture about how it makes you feel and hope people can see what you mean.

I think the writing is below average for CRPGs but it's fine. The tone is a big improvement over Larian's last two games but the writing and silly cinematic cutscenes still works to undermine the atmosphere often. The game is great overall though, flawed, but great. Really pleasantly surprised since I thought DOS:2 was terrible

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom