Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Reinhardt

Arcane
there are not enough people even for 4 person party. i had to bring astarion as the least offensive option to fill the ranks.
until mods will add easy way to get custom characters there is no point in party limit increase.

I've seen some self-proclaimed CRPG veterans and D&D enthusiasts saying they have too much trouble with this game on the easiest difficulty. On the "normal" difficulty mode, this game is a breeze and I'm not exactly a TTRPG scholar by any means. What the hell is going on? Is it just ragebait? I regret not choosing Tactician Mode but I'll do it when I play this game again waiting for Starfield to get patched.

Anyway, Act III is pretty buggy. I've had one mission that I needed to re-do in a very particular way involving a prison break for Karlach and the game won't recognize that I saw some dumbass wizard even though I went through the correct portal to see him. Anyone else having similar issues in this area?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I love tracking reception on this game as the hype dies down

Day 1: is this the greatest rpg…ever???
Day 2: you can skip all the gay crap and the combat is great!
Day 3: oh…they just front loaded act 1
Day 4: oh. The writing sucks ass and what they did with the bg2 characters is almost insulting. Easy game to break too…the reactivity was illusionary second time around…

Day 60: meh
Didn't you literally make this same exact post yesterday as well?

Are you retarded?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
it is unreal how fucking shit the writing is. aerie romance looks like high art in comparison, and i am including the "gives birth and puts a baby in her inventory" section in throne of bhaal. the way they went out of their way to deliberately shit on the old characters is also a nice touch. my condolences to the people that actually cared about the bg characters.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
I love tracking reception on this game as the hype dies down

Day 1: is this the greatest rpg…ever???
Day 2: you can skip all the gay crap and the combat is great!
Day 3: oh…they just front loaded act 1
Day 4: oh. The writing sucks ass and what they did with the bg2 characters is almost insulting. Easy game to break too…the reactivity was illusionary second time around…

Day 60: meh
cope-cry-about-it.gif

Orion

Cipher
Quest log says I can reuse the Adamantine Forge if I find more ore - which I did - but it doesn't seem possible to do so. Is it lying to me?

Larianshill

Arbiter
Quest log says I can reuse the Adamantine Forge if I find more ore - which I did - but it doesn't seem possible to do so. Is it lying to me?
I don't know what the issue is. Place the ore, place the mold, turn the valve, use the hammer.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins.
Gale can open any locks with a Knock spell, Lae'zel can cover for pickpocketing and lockpicking with her racial ability that gives her proficiency in skills, a lot of the doors (although not all of them) are breakable. A rogue is not mandatory.

I'm running with a fighter, Shadowheart, Wyll and Karlach. No rogue, no faggot wizard. Any locks so far I've been able to open with the fighter. Or bash it with a sword until it opens.
I've seen some self-proclaimed CRPG veterans and D&D enthusiasts saying they have too much trouble with this game on the easiest difficulty. On the "normal" difficulty mode, this game is a breeze and I'm not exactly a TTRPG scholar by any means. What the hell is going on? Is it just ragebait? I regret not choosing Tactician Mode but I'll do it when I play this game again waiting for Starfield to get patched.

Anyway, Act III is pretty buggy. I've had one mission that I needed to re-do in a very particular way involving a prison break for Karlach and the game won't recognize that I saw some dumbass wizard even though I went through the correct portal to see him. Anyone else having similar issues in this area?

"Balanced" mode is easy, you will almost never die. "Tactician" is a decent challenge sometimes but nothing frustrating. I can't even imagine what a faceroll Easy would be.

Last edited:

Kiste

Augur
it is unreal how fucking shit the writing is. aerie romance looks like high art in comparison, and i am including the "gives birth and puts a baby in her inventory" section in throne of bhaal. the way they went out of their way to deliberately shit on the old characters is also a nice touch. my condolences to the people that actually cared about the bg characters.

Wow, another posting that claims that the writing is "shit" but does not bother to elaborate in what way exactly it is supposed to be shit. Like we didn't have a million of those already.

Come on, at least elevate it to the level of mentioning something about reddit and twitter or maybe regurgitate the Youtube grifter talking point about zoomer writers who have never known hardship except for picking their variety of soy latte, unlike the basement-dwelling spergs frequenting this here shithole forum.

This is extraodinarily lazy, even by current day Codex standards.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So people expecting more AAA TB RPGs in the future with incline gameplay should curb their enthusiasm a little.
Lessons developers should learn from Baldur's Gate 3:
  • Tactical, turn-based combat sells
  • An RPG should have at least a semblance of exploration
  • A considerable amount of interactivity with the world can be accomplished, even in a game with turn-based combat
  • Quests can have various Choices & Consequences associated with them, and there can also be consequences for player actions outside quests
  • RPGs can have a fairly non-linear structure
Lessons developers will learn from Baldur's Gate 3:
  • Sex sells, especially with viral marketing
  • Aside from a single player-generated character, the party members should be pre-generated and have ludicrously convoluted backstories
  • Vast amounts of money should be spent on voice-acting and motion-capture, especially for those pre-generated companions
  • Embrace the most generic fantasy setting possible
  • Players don't care about basing your game on a poor ruleset, such as "D&D 5th edition"

I regret not choosing Tactician Mode but I'll do it when I play this game again waiting for Starfield to get patched.
You can change the difficulty at any time; it's one of the options in the in-game menu. :M

Longes

Augur
Baldur's Gate 3 is conceptually the funniest game ever made because I've never seen anyone slaughter their predecessors that hard.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were revolutionary games that became the foundation of the Bioware style, and the Bioware style became the foundation of Western isometric RPGs for years to come. Even modern games like Wrath of the Righteous and Pillars of Eternity are made in what is clearly and obviously the Bioware style of RPG making.

But Baldur's Gate 3 isn't a Bioware-style RPG. It's not even a fucking Baldur's Gate style RPG. Instead, it's an honorable successor to Ultima 7 and is the most perfect Ultima game to ever be made. Thank you, Swen. You may be a degenerate, but you know a good game to copy when you see one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Wow, another posting that claims that the writing is "shit" but does not bother to elaborate in what way exactly it is supposed to be shit. Like we didn't have a million of those already.

Come on, at least elevate it to the level of mentioning something about reddit and twitter or maybe regurgitate the Youtube grifter talking point about zoomer writers who have never known hardship except for picking their variety of soy latte, unlike the basement-dwelling spergs frequenting this here shithole forum.

How abou you tell us in what way the writing in this game is good?

Because so far it's been mostly boring except when it goes into reddit tier quirky cringe territory. If it wasn't for the good animations and voice acting the game would feel completely anemic.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Because so far it's been mostly boring except when it goes into reddit tier quirky cringe territory. If it wasn't for the good animations and voice acting the game would feel completely anemic.

Fake news. This game is your hypercreative D&D lore nerd GM on steroids with loads of fun ideas but extremely low capacity for structural cohesion. So the writing's a complete mess but full of fun shit. I can't remember a game that made me feel like I was sitting at a pnp table to the same extend, and half of that is the bonkers writing

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Baldur's Gate 3 is conceptually the funniest game ever made because I've never seen anyone slaughter their predecessors that hard.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were revolutionary games that became the foundation of the Bioware style, and the Bioware style became the foundation of Western isometric RPGs for years to come. Even modern games like Wrath of the Righteous and Pillars of Eternity are made in what is clearly and obviously the Bioware style of RPG making.

But Baldur's Gate 3 isn't a Bioware-style RPG. It's not even a fucking Baldur's Gate style RPG. Instead, it's an honorable successor to Ultima 7 and is the most perfect Ultima game to ever be made. Thank you, Swen. You may be a degenerate, but you know a good game to copy when you see one.
BASED my friend.

Seems everyone loves it besides a couple of loser, autistic incels on the codex that are buck broken by the success.

Look at the glowing USER reviews:

afbeelding.png

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
omfg lol you can click the + sign next to the hotbar to expand it with more rows

this ui is very functional when you "get it" (though I'm still missing hotkey functionality?), but fucking hell is it ever uneccesarily esoteric
You... you only found about this... now?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You... you only found about this... now?

yes

tell me i've also missed the hotkey functionality and i'll give you a kiss

not having a hotkey for dash is murdering me

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Fake news. This game is your hypercreative D&D lore nerd GM on steroids with loads of fun ideas but extremely low capacity for structural cohesion. So the writing's a complete mess but full of fun shit. I can't remember a game that made me feel like I was sitting at a pnp table to the same extend, and half of that is the bonkers writing

Can you tell me where the fun starts exactly?

I'm still early maybe i have yet to see it.

So far this could be NWN2 OC.

Kiste

Augur

No, sorry. You claim something is shit, you better tell us why. And no, randomly mentioning the words "reddit" and "cringe" without further elaboration doesn't cut it.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the entirety of karlachs character and introductory quest for example. a veteran of the bloodwar with 5 billion confirmed demon kills, who acts like a plebbitor high on her own farts, much like yourself. as for the latter part of that sentence, what the fuck are you even talking about.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
also btw I met the "tranny" now

apparantly a man dressing up as a woman is a tranny now

which i guess makes the culture war people the true progressives: all you need to transcend your gender, in their opinion, is a dress and some make-up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom