Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

MerchantKing

Learned
BG3 is very good-looking at times, but at other times I keep thinking just what a marginal improvement this is over say, Witcher 3 (2015).

Balder's in a display with true and professional HDR (QD-OLED or MiniLED) is simply gorgeous. And since I got the new ICC from Rtings, I'm having a blast with the game.

Yet, poor fags still in their TN and VA panels dare to say the game is ugly. Sheesh.

Sad.
The terrible stiff janky cutscene dialogue animations when you see everything up close makes it look ugly.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
MerchantKing, how is the reactivity playing as a gnome illusionist? Can you use your illusion powers in dialogs?

MerchantKing

Learned
MerchantKing, how is the reactivity playing as a gnome illusionist? Can you use your illusion powers in dialogs?
It's more like you can use certain spells like charm for checks. As far as reactivity, I hardly see very much of it other than a handful of racial and class options occasionally.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's more like you can use certain spells like charm for checks. As far as reactivity, I hardly see very much of it other than a handful of racial and class options occasionally.
Those racial options must be fun as a gnome.

"Hey, midget. Yer one of those moneygrubbing kinds of midgets, ain't ye?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Aside from the first battle in the Nautiloid, I've only come across three situations where fighting was completely unavoidable, and in a few of these it was pretty easy to make combat trivial by stealing the enemy's weapons beforehand. Seems to me that the guy's only neuron is incapable of looking for alternate routes or strategies.

The problem with this is many combats in this game require you to go in blind, die to some OP bullshit, and then reload with some 'cheese' strat that will nullify the enemy and make the fight trivial. And I assume this is Larians MO from what I have heard about DOS 1 & 2? Its not how I like to play these types of games, feels like some kind of super autism, going in there with your slide rule and calculator before the combat and figuring out the maximum angle and velocity of all the explosive barrels that you somehow managed to drag around all the enemies patiently waiting for you to initiate combat.

I prefer more of a 'fly by the seat of your pants' approach and make do with situations as they happen, and I cannot abide savescumming which would seem to be encouraged by this style of encounter design.

So its hardly surprising when you have stuff like the gnolls and Gith so early in the game that some people will be getting a rude shock even on easier difficulties.

Kiste

Augur

They've been kind of disappointing. It's mainly additional dialogue options when talking to other Gnomes. There is the occasional fun one, though, like when Esther outside the Creche mentions something being as unlikely as Gnomes flying and you get the opportunity to ramble about the possibility of Gnomes flying if they had appropriate foils and sufficient propulsion.

I'm also a bit disappointed with Gnome visuals. As our resident Merchant pointed out, they look more like French midgets than Gnomes. I wish they looked a bit less human.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

They've been kind of disappointing. It's mainly additional dialogue options when talking to other Gnomes. There is the occasional fun one, though, like when Ethel outside the Chreche mentions something being as unlikely as Gnomes flying and you get the opportunity to ramble about the possibility of Gnomes flying if they had appropriate foils and sufficient propulsion.

I'm also a bit disappointed with Gnome visuals. As our resident Merchant pointed out, they look more like French midgets than Gnomes. I wish they looked a bit less human.

They look french ? Well they are already non-human so it fits.

MerchantKing

Learned

If only they were actually good options and not just a different way of getting to the next set of dialogue with little or no difference between them and the normal options.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, the gyth is an annoying bitch and i already made the elf waifu mad by sending her (the Gyth i mean) to camp, which makes little sense since as much as she hates the green bitch (and for good reason) there's that whole cure thing so it's not like we have a choice but to take her. Biggest diappointment is that the party limit is 4.

BTW, i knew shit like tieflings was normalized but i didn't expect to meet devil looking ones (i thought tieflings were suppose to have SOME demonic trait, not be full fledged demon looking?) right in an area where one would assume nobody would see them.

On the plus side, this is the second combat situation i was able to avoid through dialog. Gale seems to approve of those decisions, which means i'm close to him trying to jump on my cock.

[EDIT] Ok this shit is confusing me now. So we all have a camp, know about it, can go there at any point. How? We just crashed from the Wraith ship, i mean, the Ilithid ship how the fuck does everybody know of a camp now. And where is this camp anyway? And can i stow my shit to camp? Wouldn't that make equip load redudant?

Eitherway, if i send the waifu to camp before freeing the gyth i can save myself from getting a negative reaction from her. I don't think this is how it should work though.

Last edited:

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Just spotted this on the Larian forum, by the way:

Thread title: I'M DONE.
As the subject says: I'm fucking done with this game. I've been playing RPGs (and, for that matter, D&D) for nearly thirty years, and I was *so* excited for this to come out. Hell, I even purchased it pretty early in EA just because I wanted to see what Larian would do with it. I didn't play *much* of it, then, because there were some major bugs and technical shortcomings that ruined the experience for me--but that's fine: it was in early access; I knew to expect ample flaws, unbalanced encounters, and so forth.

I was MAD psyched for the full version to release--and for the first fifteen hours or so, I absolutely loved it. Until I began to realize how fucking horrible the combat was.

I love the story. I love the characters. I love everything about this game *but* the combat, and it utterly ruins the experience because even though I try to avoid combat as much as possible, apparently a pacifist/stealth run simply isn't possible--which I find hilarious since Larian has been bragging about the "endless" potential ways of playing. Bullshit.

The "Balanced" difficulty is INCREDIBLY UNbalanced. I have a level 5, well-balanced party, and I still get my shit kicked in 9 out of 10 times. I'm really experienced in turn-based RPGs, and have been known to take waaaaaaaaaaay too much time planning multiple moves ahead as if I'm playing chess. But no matter what I do, no matter what character I use or how heavily kitted-out they are, I get party wiped because every goddamned enemy even *one* level higher than my party one-shots any of them. I'm mainly thinking of those fucking gnolls and githyanki.

So I dropped the difficulty to the lowest setting and guess what? Same results. Literally, same results. My attacks do 2 damage, the enemy's does 10. Oh, and they each have *three* fucking attacks per turn to my *1*. What the hell? I don't know if it's because of this "karmic dice" horseshit (turning it off doesn't seem to make any difference) or something I'm not getting, but I just don't care enough to find out.

I'm out. I will never purchase another Larian title again.

I know people these days love to call this being patronizing, condescending, "a gatekeeper elitist" and so on, but honestly... What kind of mentally impaired or dimwit do you need to be, to have your ass regularly kicked when playing on Easy mode in these games?

this is bait friend, the chess part being the most obvious indicator. any popular game and mentally ill people go to steam to rage bait and troll

as for the game i finished act 2. game is good in everything besides combat, but i ll wait for a difficulty patch to play it again, after i finish it. i know i m repeating myself but this game difficulty is on par with kingmakers core and much easier than DOS 2, even with a party of three i had one good fight in the whole act and two in the first one. really unfortunate

None

Arbiter
[EDIT] Ok this shit is confusing me now. So we all have a camp, know about it, can go there at any point. How? We just crashed from the Wraith ship, i mean, the Ilithid ship how the fuck does everybody know of a camp now. And where is this camp anyway?
It changes based on where you are. So camp looks like a crypt if your in one, a cave, etc. I assume it is just an abstraction of setting up camp in the area you're at, without all the hassle of having to place everyone and everything properly in arbitrary environments.

Perkel

Arcane
I recently replayed that githyanki fight and to be fair frog tells you to wait as she goes there to talk with them. So I think default outcome is frog dying. If you don't have greenshit then no way you will go there with your party as there is fucking dragon there. If you actually RP then you shouldn't be near them only frog. And without frog you should run away.

But gamelogic is different. IT is there so i have to interact.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
[EDIT] Ok this shit is confusing me now. So we all have a camp, know about it, can go there at any point. How? We just crashed from the Wraith ship, i mean, the Ilithid ship how the fuck does everybody know of a camp now. And where is this camp anyway?
It changes based on where you are. So camp looks like a crypt if your in one, a cave, etc. I assume it is just an abstraction of setting up camp in the area you're at, without all the hassle of having place everyone and everything properly in arbitrary environments.

I bit too meta, but ok. I CAN leave all my loot there, right? I can just dumb shit in one of those crates in camp and nothing will disappear, right?

So i send the waifu to camp to avoid getting a negative yelp review for freeing the gyth (which i have to so what the hell is this) and she hands me the thingy she is holding for some reason. So much for being such a guarded secret.

[EDIT] Do NPCs miss out on XP if you send them to camp or they'll level with you even if you don't use them?

Elthosian

Arcane
It changes based on where you are. So camp looks like a crypt if your in one, a cave, etc. I assume it is just an abstraction of setting up camp in the area you're at, without all the hassle of having place everyone and everything properly in arbitrary environments.

I bit too meta, but ok. I CAN leave all my loot there, right? I can just dumb shit in one of those crates in camp and nothing will disappear, right?

[EDIT] Do NPCs miss out on XP if you send them to camp or they'll level with you even if you don't use them?

1. Only on the "Traveller's Chest". You can put any other containers you want inside it (including other chests, lol) if you want to tidy up things a bit.

2. They'll level up alongside you even if they're at camp.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Froggirl already wants my Dark Gnome cock and I’ve brought her along for maybe 10% of the game. Gnome also gets an extra serving of gruel (heal potion).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
only personal inspiration exp for not being in party is lost iirc

I’ve been bringing the members along for events that Inspire them. Will be interesting to try to keel the Harpies with the Warlock.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Wow, the gyth is an annoying bitch and i already made the elf waifu mad by sending her (the Gyth i mean) to camp, which makes little sense since as much as she hates the green bitch (and for good reason) there's that whole cure thing so it's not like we have a choice but to take her. Biggest diappointment is that the party limit is 4.
The gith is the best companion in the entire game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
froggo is pretty good. she reminds me young injun warrior. very eager to prove herself, very open to the idea of violence against other tribes, contempt for everyhing not-injungith but clear lack of experience in the ways world works.

that's my impression from how she behaves.(never talked in depth with any companion)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The attention to detail is beyond any game I've ever seen. In act 2 in the Gauntlet of Shar, where you have to lower the lanterns and extinguish them to make it dark, I did it but still couldn't reach the statue in the middle. Realised my fighter was still holding a light source. Turned it off and the statue became accessible. The plaque wasn't kidding when it said the answer lies in darkness

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm a pally that means with this shit party limit i'll probably won't take her. One full fighter is enough i think and elf waifu can be my back up tank slash healer/buffbot (assuming clerics work the same in 5E as in the past).

Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins. I hope there's a way to bypass the need to have a rogue for that kind of stuff because with a party limit of 4 that would be pretty fucking annoying.

I'm starting to think i should have just rolled as a mage for my main instead, but too late now, i ain't restarting.

BTW, the intro for the black guy (Wyll) was SOOOOO fucking cringe lmao. I also thought he was a Warlock why did he show up like Errol Flynn?

Larianshill

Arbiter
Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins.
Gale can open any locks with a Knock spell, Lae'zel can cover for pickpocketing and lockpicking with her racial ability that gives her proficiency in skills, a lot of the doors (although not all of them) are breakable. A rogue is not mandatory.

Elthosian

Arcane
I'm a pally that means with this shit party limit i'll probably won't take her. One full fighter is enough i think and elf waifu can be my back up tank slash healer/buffbot (assuming clerics work the same in 5E as in the past).

Already i'm compelled to take Astarion because of locked doors and eventual traps shit in the ruins. I hope there's a way to bypass the need to have a rogue for that kind of stuff because with a party limit of 4 that would be pretty fucking annoying.

I'm starting to think i should have just rolled as a mage for my main instead, but too late now, i ain't restarting.

BTW, the intro for the black guy (Wyll) was SOOOOO fucking cringe lmao. I also thought he was a Warlock why did he show up like Errol Flynn?
Shadowheart comes with some stealth/trap disarming/etc proficiency and you can choose a feat to further improve it on level 4. Either that or install the party limit begone + tactician plus mods to get a 5-man party with the same difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom