Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

I've thought the same. Party composition so far seems to be more of a matter of picking what utility you want and letting scrolls and potions fill in the gaps. Haven't encountered a moment where I felt I needed a wizard or sorcerer.
It's D&D 5th edition. Even with its "larian-shaped" changes, you don't really "need" anyone in any class.
Which doesn't change the fact that a mage is one of the best things you can have in your basic party composition, and they get stronger and stronger at higher level.

My party is
My char human warrior.
Karlach Barbarian.
Gale Wizard.
Laezel warrior.
I can perfectly use my warlock for unlock and disable traps.
I'm playing basically with this party plus Astarion Rogue and Shadowheart cleric (yeah, I modded it for 6 characters).
Also, since I'm a barbarian rather than a warrior I respecced Karlach as a paladin (Oath of Vengeance. Not the favorite subclass but it sounded the most "thematically appropriate" replacement to her class and a more useful addition to not make her redundant with my character).

Self-Ejected
My party is
My char human warrior.
Karlach Barbarian.
Gale Wizard.
Laezel warrior.
I can perfectly use my warlock for unlock and disable traps.
I'm playing with this party plus Astarion Rogue and Shadowheart cleric.
Except I'm a barbarian as well so i respecced Karlach as a paladin (Oath of Vengeance. Not the favorite subclass but it sounded the most "thematically appropriate" replacement to her class and a more useful addition to not make her redundant with my character.
Did you play also Solasta by chance?
What do you think is better?
Grid based turn based or free form turn based as it is in Bg3 (Gridless)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Me - Wood Elf Monk (best stride in the game)
Shadowheart - Cleric
Laezel - Warrior
4th slot still open, because I've killed or alienated all male companions so far, and Karlach told me to fuck off after shafting the Grove. (lol)

I did.
Solasta has a better, more faithful implementation of the core rules.
"Grid or not grid" makes basically no functional difference, for me. The "vector based" system used in BG3 (which reminds the one in Temple of Elemental Evil, 3D excluded) would be absolutely fine, as far as I'm concerned.
The main difference between the two is that BG3 is BY FAR the better looking one of the two, while on the other hand Solasta has ACTUAL veriticality: character and monsters can fly, climb walls in combat, you can use ready actions to play "wait and strike" turns, etc.
For instance in BG3 flying creature can just do long jumps and as far as you can reach them you can hit them in melee. In Solasta flying creatures need to be hit with ranged attacks OR melee characters can set their melee attacks as "ready actions" and strike when the flying creature dives in to hit.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I did not do ANYTHING with gale.
For bear druid i made the fatal mistake of offering a drink at the grove after party, nothing about the dialogue suggested i was hitting on him.
I had a similar experience. At the party, I told him he should go mingle. Didn't pick any other dialogue options and ended it right after. In the next dialogue with him I had an option that said something like "hey, let's forget about what happened last night". When I picked it he was like "no" and I had to tell him to forget about it again. It makes no sense. I just went ahead and picked the forget about it dialogue despite not doing anything gay just to cut off any chance of future faggotry.
That is just a realistic depiction of gays in real life. You could ask one about the weather forecast and they would take that as you saying you want to put your finger inside them.

Self-Ejected
I did.
Solasta has a better, more faithful implementation of the core rules.
"Grid or not grid" makes basically no functional difference, for me. The "vector based" system used in BG3 (which reminds the one in Temple of Elemental Evil, 3D excluded) would be absolutely fine, as far as I'm concerned.
The main difference between the two is that BG3 is BY FAR the better looking one of the two, while on the other hand Solasta has ACTUAL veriticality: character and monsters can fly, climb walls in combat, you can use ready actions to play "wait and strike" turns, etc.
For instance in BG3 flying creature can just do long jumps and as far as you can reach them you can hit them in melee. In Solasta flying creatures need to be hit with ranged attacks OR melee characters can set their melee attacks as "ready actions" and strike when the flying creature dives in to hit.
Fair point i liked the combat of solasta a lot however everything else in the game was so freaking bad i could not suffer to play it anymore.

Self-Ejected
Fair point i liked the combat of solasta a lot however everything else in the game was so freaking bad i could not suffer to play it anymore.
Eh, I mean, "the combat" is 90% of what there is in Solasta.
Which I'm perfectly fine with, as far one knows what he's buying into.
I wonder if this success will inspire other AAA gaming studios to create games like this. I really doubt it but.

Latro

Arcane
I love tracking reception on this game as the hype dies down

Day 1: is this the greatest rpg…ever???
Day 2: you can skip all the gay crap and the combat is great!
Day 3: oh…they just front loaded act 1
Day 4: oh. The writing sucks ass and what they did with the bg2 characters is almost insulting. Easy game to break too…the reactivity was illusionary second time around…

Day 60: meh

I can see people are putting effort in some quality modding:

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/761

Jesus Christ, you can always bet on the weirdos being the frontrunners for this stuff, for some reason.

Day 4: oh. The writing sucks ass and what they did with the bg2 characters is almost insulting. Easy game to break too…the reactivity was illusionary second time around…

It keeps getting better and better as I progress through it, though.
Which doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws, shortcomings and blemishes.

Everything does, once put under enough scrutiny.

Silverfish

Arbiter

Larian really are keeping the Bioware tradition alive.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I've reached level 12 almost right after I reached the city area. After that all those experience gain become utterly pointless. They should make it cap at level 14.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My thoughts on bugginess so far.

Act 1: Pretty polished, and it should be after years in Early Access.

Act 2: Okay, starting to break down a bit, but still not anywhere near Bethesda levels.

Act 3:

starship-troopers-traitor-of-mars.gif

Aside for the occasional UI hiccup (i.e. a couple of times I had LaeZel that made the UI disappear entirely when selected and I had to quicksave and reload to fix that) I don't think I've experienced any major bug so far.
I'm sure that there must be a fuckton of them under the surface, though. Stuff like "Ability X is supposed to do this and it doesn't", but...

A) that comes with the territory of big and complex CRPGs and it's basically inevitable to a certain extent
B) I've never been a "number cruncher" when playing this stuff, so it's always things I discover when reported sometime later.

Elthosian

Arcane
Eh, I mean, "the combat" is 90% of what there is in Solasta.
Which I'm perfectly fine with, as far one knows what he's buying into.
I wonder if this success will inspire other AAA gaming studios to create games like this. I really doubt it but.
Shut. The. Fuck. UP

Decline enabling bitch.

Go back to retardera.

Microtransactions purchasers don't get to silence anybody, you are at the very bottom of the chain, stop enabling decline and embrace the light once again before it's too late.

PS: I told you all to install the altered approval mod to make it like the early access, my experience thus far has been flawless in that regard. Half of the party hates me and so far nobody has tried to get into my bed :smug: Serves you all and the idiots at the Larian Forums right for bitching so much about the companions being mean (mommyyy, the frog lady didn't say good morning to meeee) and whatever other thing you saw in capeshit movies and can't cleanse your mind from. Truly blessed experience.

Anything game breaking, so far, gentlemen... ?

As spoiler free as possible, please.

There is a sidequest breaking bug if you use the 'party limit begone' mod. Other than that, nothing I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Just spotted this on the Larian forum, by the way:

Thread title: I'M DONE.
As the subject says: I'm fucking done with this game. I've been playing RPGs (and, for that matter, D&D) for nearly thirty years, and I was *so* excited for this to come out. Hell, I even purchased it pretty early in EA just because I wanted to see what Larian would do with it. I didn't play *much* of it, then, because there were some major bugs and technical shortcomings that ruined the experience for me--but that's fine: it was in early access; I knew to expect ample flaws, unbalanced encounters, and so forth.

I was MAD psyched for the full version to release--and for the first fifteen hours or so, I absolutely loved it. Until I began to realize how fucking horrible the combat was.

I love the story. I love the characters. I love everything about this game *but* the combat, and it utterly ruins the experience because even though I try to avoid combat as much as possible, apparently a pacifist/stealth run simply isn't possible--which I find hilarious since Larian has been bragging about the "endless" potential ways of playing. Bullshit.

The "Balanced" difficulty is INCREDIBLY UNbalanced. I have a level 5, well-balanced party, and I still get my shit kicked in 9 out of 10 times. I'm really experienced in turn-based RPGs, and have been known to take waaaaaaaaaaay too much time planning multiple moves ahead as if I'm playing chess. But no matter what I do, no matter what character I use or how heavily kitted-out they are, I get party wiped because every goddamned enemy even *one* level higher than my party one-shots any of them. I'm mainly thinking of those fucking gnolls and githyanki.

So I dropped the difficulty to the lowest setting and guess what? Same results. Literally, same results. My attacks do 2 damage, the enemy's does 10. Oh, and they each have *three* fucking attacks per turn to my *1*. What the hell? I don't know if it's because of this "karmic dice" horseshit (turning it off doesn't seem to make any difference) or something I'm not getting, but I just don't care enough to find out.

I'm out. I will never purchase another Larian title again.

I know people these days love to call this being patronizing, condescending, "a gatekeeper elitist" and so on, but honestly... What kind of mentally impaired or dimwit do you need to be, to have your ass regularly kicked when playing on Easy mode in these games?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I can't go more than a few minutes without some kind of bug showing up, and they're all completely different too. Like the variety of bugs I'm getting is impressive. Camera angles becoming locked, features not working, interactables can't be clicked on, etc.

Co-op is at least 5x worse than single-player, especially when more than one player is in dialogue.

On the bright side however, I haven't encountered that many hard locks. The only one I've come across is Lae'zel's early companion quest being broken and I had to reload a much earlier save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom