Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Catering to the 1% weirdos would be devs catering to the most vile persons on this board. Which would resolve in the devs getting broke. You truly are the most clever person on the codex.

Nice to admit that you're in that 1% global demographic. No wonder normies are reacting the way they are to your degeneracy.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
afbeelding.png

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Let's hope the new patch fixes the horniness issue. Seems to bother most people (aside from the bugs)
I hope it fixes the bug where I get bad dice rolls all the time.
It is a mathematical absurdity how often I fail a DC 14 while having +9/12 in bonuses to the roll.

https://www.pcgamer.com/if-youre-pl...ce-on-what-to-do-with-companions-ignore-them/

If you're playing Baldur's Gate 3 multiplayer, Larian's boss has advice on what to do with companions: ignore them​

Whether singleplayer or multiplayer, you'll have the best time focusing on your party and ignoring the companions you don't have room for.

It took me a few hours with Baldur's Gate 3 to fully come to a realization that is pretty dang obvious in hindsight—if you're playing in four-player co-op like I am, there's absolutely no room for more companions in your life.

The first two hours of Baldur's Gate 3 are a flurry of meet-and-greets with other weirdos who got tadpoles shoved in their eyeballs, and pretty soon we'd stacked up companion quests with Lae'zel, Shadowheart, Astarion, Wyll, and Gale with interesting stories splintering off in all directions. But with a party full of custom characters we couldn't have any of our new friends tag along with us, so they just sat back at camp, and I kept running into quest objectives that I couldn't make any progress on without one of those companions tagging along.

It felt wrong to ignore those quests—I mean, they're right there in my journal, begging to be completed! Like many RPG players, I have trouble leaving any quest unsolved, and chatting with my companions every time I came back to camp felt like a half-measure. So in an interview on Monday with Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke, I asked for advice on how best to interact with companions in a four-player game.

His advice? Eh, maybe don't.

"Personally, and this will be different for different people, I would keep them for a singleplayer playthrough or a co-op playthrough with just two players, where you take some companions with you," Vincke said. "A large part of the storytelling of these characters is when they're with you in the world."

Vincke elaborated that if your companions are stuck at camp, any conversation you have with them will be based on a "hearsay" conversation system. In other words, they'll be able to react to what you tell them, but they won't really know what happened because they weren't there, so you'll be missing out on the reactions you'd get if the companions were in your party. You'll also miss out on unique interactions with the many NPCs in the world who already know your companions.

"Your connection to these characters is going to be much shallower than if you had them with you," he said. "I would probably advise if you're playing in multiplayer, focus on your party—as you do in singleplayer, actually, just focus on your party and enjoy it and roleplay it to the full extent. You can have any number of companions in camp, but it's not going to be the same thing. It's going to be much stronger if you're doing it in singleplayer."

Vincke's advice sure makes sense, even if it goes against my instinct to leave no scrap of story untouched. But Baldur's Gate 3 is such a massive game, I'm realizing the surest way to have a bad time is to fret over doing and seeing every last thing. It's incredibly rare for a game to enable and reward truly roleplaying a character in the way this one does, and I'm going to have a much better time focusing on how my paladin fits into my co-op group if I don't worry too much about the folks back at camp who aren't adventuring with us.

If you're also playing in multiplayer, Vincke had one other bit of advice: make sure you know what kind of group you have. Talk about what you want to get out of the game, even, and how much you care about the story.

"There's typical types of groups that play multiplayer. If you have the type that will explain to each other and wait for each other, they'll get a really good sense of the story," he said. "If they go off in all four directions on the map and start shenanigans and don't tell anything to anybody, then it becomes hard."

Vincke gave me an example from earlier in development where two devs were playing together. One really wanted to experience the story, while the other played as a "murder hobo" who, well, mostly just went around killing people. By the time the story-focused dev arrived in the Underdark, his companion had already killed off all the NPCs who could explain the significance of an important drow named Nere, who he kept running into oblique references to.

"He never knew who this was," Vincke said. "He found these references and was like 'Who the fuck is Nere?' I said, 'What do you mean you don't know?' They were all dead! But that is the nature of the game. If that's how you play, that's how you play, and if you can still get to the end that's your experience."

Before Baldur's Gate 3 released, I laughed at Vincke talking about multiple playthroughs and recommending against playing the game for the first time as an origin character. Most players don't even finish short games—who's got time to beat this 100-hour RPG twice!? Now that I'm 15 hours into it, I think the answer is: Me. I do. Because as much as I'm loving this co-op experience, I now know what a dramatically different experience is waiting for me when I play again solo. And Vincke was just being honest about what he'd learned from playing the game himself, not just developing it.

"I've played it multiple times over, and keep on finding new adventures for myself to have. It's certainly rich enough, there's enough content, but certain content works better depending on how you play," he said. "I don't have any real preference [between singleplayer and multiplayer], I find fun in both kinds of play. But when we're playing in multiplayer it's more fooling around with the systems, 'can I do this?' and 'can I do that?' whereas in singleplayer it's more 'this is my story.'"
I don't get what they love so much in a Co-Op mode for a CRPG..
It's fun and there aren't many alternatives, people who want a co-op rpg usually settle for roguelites or the like. It's Larian's niche now

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
At first I was confused that one of the first big mods was an auto-combat mod, where AI takes control of character actions in battle.
But then I see this post:

Man, the game is mostly combat, looting and character building, with looting and character building being tied to combat. If you don't fight, what are you even doing? Just watch a Lets Play on Youtube.
At least playing on easy mode, even if you aren't challenged and not forced to play smart or tactical, you still gain some appreciation for the characters, abilities, still upgrade items and see yourself perform better, still respec and see the fighting style change, still notice how impossible a Mindflayer was first and how easier it is 5 levels later.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Let's hope the new patch fixes the horniness issue. Seems to bother most people (aside from the bugs)

I hope so. It doesn't bug me, but the game and the companions would be improved if romance would be handled less in your face and more nuanced.

Shrimp

Liturgist
Most interesting graphs:
c8f387f585a709e47bd0930984ad89e26453fbd5.png
02d741f91bacc8ab8cc55f23f9314b899e827534.png

It never even began for clericcels
Can't say I'm surprised that all the Charisma based classes are at the most popular ones. Seems like the most logical choice for a first playthrough if you ask me.

I'm not sure "horniness" is anything that can be patched, anyway.
The problem is that the entire system of relationship with companions seems to be designed as some sort of wannabe-dating sim, where approval is automatically equated to romantic affection, rather than considering the build up of friendship/trust/camaraderie the default for most companions and "romance" something that the player needs to actively chase.
It could work for a specific character when deliberately part of their narrative (i.e. "Selune is a slut and a creep by design") but it's really weird when extended to the entire party.
For instance apparently Halsin thought that offering him a drink during a celebration was equivalent to manifest romantic interest toward him and was really disappointed to learn that's not the case... and I already talked in a previous post about how Gale had this "Time to choose between me or Shadowheart" out of nowhere in the middle of Act 2, which was pretty fucking weird.

How do they get this knowledge? Spyware inside the game?
Cheevos?

also, lol @ the linked steam thread.

PETITION TO REMOVE CLOWN AWARDS

29 Clown ratings
• peak concurrent player count – roughly 815,000.
And how many of these are bots? This game is already dead.
Also it's not called a "Tweet" it's called a "X" + the source is a former Activision Blizzard employee so I wouldn't trust that person at all. This game should be in the current state that OW2 is currently in. Step out of the echo chamber and admit that this game is just completely boring and garbage.
EDIT: Why so many clowns next to my name? STOP IT! I'm sorry you baldur's gaters can't take facts!

Roddy | SmokeThePack.tf
15 Clown ratings

PETITION TO REMOVE CLOWN AWARD
Who cares about updates in dead game? Let it rest in peace and go play whatever gay bear sex game you normally play. Developers, please, we want you to stop updating this trash!

No black race choice? This game is racist! The developers need to take some notes from Overwatch 2.

EDIT: Why are so many clowns next to my name? STOP IT! I'm sorry you baldur's gaters can't take constructive criticism!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom