Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
catering to the 1% weirdos is the way to go

Catering to the 1% weirdos would be devs catering to the most vile persons on this board. Which would result in the devs getting broke. You truly are the most clever person on the codex.
If you check the Steam forums, they really did, as there is a large player base that is disappointed with all the sexual stuff. They overestimated the 1% with 50%. Anyway, you know I'm right because you didn't quote the rest of what I said. It will be downhill from here on. Marketers will think this degeneracy sells, and this is on top of what BioWare already created. Every gaming magazine loves it and the nay-sayers will be silenced, as usual. There is already a massive call to protect the LGBT community - to clean up the forums.

Look, I enjoy the game (to a degree), but this is just way too much. I can tolerate the BioWare stuff, but Larian took it to the next level, and suddenly the focus has entirely shifted from telling a story about knights and sorceresses to shag your companions or having them shag you. It's disappointing.

Yeah, my response was a bit harsh. Your nuanced take is something I can get behind (not sexually, mind you). While not a problem for me, the game would only be improved if the horniness would be tuned down and players would be given more choices how to foster their relationship with the companions. After all it is a role playing game with a lot of choice and consequences, so it is weird that the companion system only allows sex relationship. I get that.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Some of these metacritic user reviews are really entertaining.

afbeelding.png

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the butthurt codexers would be review bombing there lol

Edit: seems it really makes final fantasy weebs mad

afbeelding.png
These are SquarEnix devs, 100 percent.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
the game would only be improved if the horniness would be tuned down

Oh so we're right and you're wrong. Nice of you to admit it and very adult of you. Your mother must be proud of you typing that up and looking over your shoulder.

Bro your problem is that you lack any nuance. On top of that you're also an unsympathetic dick.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Bro your problem is that you lack any nuance. On top of that you're also an unsympathetic dick.

Let's review your first reply to me ever in this thread shall we?

Lol, have chuds like you any self awareness while posting this pathetic kindergarten drivel?

"No, I don't cry. I'm tough man. You lie. I stay engaged in this because I just don't care at all. These are no tears, this is sweat."

Jesus Christ. Log off the codex or play a game you like.

If you wanted to be treated with respect then you should have lead with that. You went the asshole dick route and you got it in return. The moral of the story, child, if you want to be treated with respect then you have to give it.

Also, that reply of yours lacked any nuance whatsoever.

What's the matter do you need a hug from your mommy because a person was mean to you in return?

Please let the class know when your balls have dropped.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Let's hope the new patch fixes the horniness issue. Seems to bother most people (aside from the bugs)
I'm not sure "horniness" is anything that can be patched, anyway.
The problem is that the entire system of relationship with companions seems to be designed as some sort of wannabe-dating sim, where approval is automatically equated to romantic affection, rather than considering the build up of friendship/trust/camaraderie the default for most companions and "romance" something that the player needs to actively chase.
It could work for a specific character when deliberately part of their narrative (i.e. "Selune is a slut and a creep by design") but it's really weird when extended to the entire party.
For instance apparently Halsin thought that offering him a drink during a celebration was equivalent to manifest romantic interest toward him and was really disappointed to learn that's not the case... and I already talked in a previous post about how Gale had this "Time to choose between me or Shadowheart" out of nowhere in the middle of Act 2, which was pretty fucking weird.

There is only one solution how this might be patched. You gotta up the threshold for approval (by a lot), maybe record some throwaway voicelines more, then make it a distinct player decision if you want to trigger the romance (or not).

There's a mod already that tones down spring loaded jumps in the approval rating (which i heard can even make you miss dialog lines lel). I haven't tried it but one problem i can forsee with that is that it forces you to start sucking up to the NPCs and "game" the correct responses. The way it is now you can basically roleplay how you want and can still "fix" it later if you want to pacify an angry NPC because of how big a bonus you get from the origin quests themselves.

The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating, which is how Bioware did it and how it should have been done to begin with. The way it is now is just nonsensical. You do an action that a certain NPC approves of unrelated to anything even remotely romantic and suddenly he wants to fuck you.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating,
Or they can go back to how it was in the EA and let players choose if they want play in hetero, bi or gay romance mode. Which still would leave the problem of not being able to foster any relationship to companions in a non-sexual way.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It is one of the reasons I don't like D&D for conversation or narrative heavy games.

D&D is a combat focused system, so if you want to have a talking focused PC you have to either compromise your combat capabilities or use a character that has Charisma as one of the important stats.

So you either arbitrarily limit your class selection or make a gimped character.

I think letting companions be able to make the skill checks in conversation would help alleviate this somewhat.

Although, I have noticed a lot of conversation skill checks aren't really meaningful. Many of them are straight up just flavor or there are still lots of options of resolving stuff to get the same outcome even if you can't pass conversation skill checks. I am still near the beginning, though, so maybe they become more important later on. If not, I guess the feeling that I have to make a character that is good at talking to people is more self-inflicted than reality.

In 5e, CHA-based classes are among the most OP in combat, so it's really a case of having your cake and eating it too.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Let's hope the new patch fixes the horniness issue. Seems to bother most people (aside from the bugs)
I'm not sure "horniness" is anything that can be patched, anyway.
The problem is that the entire system of relationship with companions seems to be designed as some sort of wannabe-dating sim, where approval is automatically equated to romantic affection, rather than considering the build up of friendship/trust/camaraderie the default for most companions and "romance" something that the player needs to actively chase.
It could work for a specific character when deliberately part of their narrative (i.e. "Selune is a slut and a creep by design") but it's really weird when extended to the entire party.
For instance apparently Halsin thought that offering him a drink during a celebration was equivalent to manifest romantic interest toward him and was really disappointed to learn that's not the case... and I already talked in a previous post about how Gale had this "Time to choose between me or Shadowheart" out of nowhere in the middle of Act 2, which was pretty fucking weird.

There is only one solution how this might be patched. You gotta up the threshold for approval (by a lot), maybe record some throwaway voicelines more, then make it a distinct player decision if you want to trigger the romance (or not).

There's a mod already that tones down spring loaded jumps in the approval rating (which i heard can even make you miss dialog lines lel). I haven't tried it but one problem i can forsee with that is that it forces you to start sucking up to the NPCs and "game" the correct responses. The way it is now you can basically roleplay how you want and can still "fix" it later if you want to pacify an angry NPC because of how big a bonus you get from the origin quests themselves.

The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating, which is how Bioware did it and how it should have been done to begin with. The way it is now is just nonsensical. You do an action that a certain NPC approves of unrelated to anything even remotely romantic and suddenly he wants to fuck you.

Besides the romance aspect, what do you think of the game so far? Truly interested.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
:mca:

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.
I kinda sit in an opposite boat. I DO like the "loose" narrative, yet I don't think it lacks cohesion since every quest is somehow linked to the overall narrative which leads to a lack of redundant and illogical side or even fetch questing. That said, it will maybe shift once you reach Baldurs Gate.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Companion Interactions were done well in early versions- you pick who you like, then the rest just fuck off and never hit on you. As it should be.

They chose to add multiple simultaneous romances and butchered the whole system.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I kinda sit in an opposite boat. I DO like the "loose" narrative, yet I don't think it lacks cohesion since every quest is somehow linked to the overall narrative which leads to a lack of redundant and illogical side or even fetch questing.
Nah, I meant something more like problems with... oversaturation? There's an every spice in this soup.

The main storyline started with illithid space ship falling down in hell. That's two themes you probably shouldn't combine, unless you are going for wacky Planescape setting. And they start level 1 game with it.
Add origin character to this and you also might happen to be an ex-lover of Mystra with a netheril nuke up your ass.

:bioware:

And it seems there will be even more? Shar? Thultanthar maybe? Dead three? More devils, that's for sure. Gives me a headache.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm more interested to see which companion got killed off the most.

Gonna bet that it's Asstarion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom