Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Shrimp

Liturgist
I'm more interested to see which companion got killed off the most.

Gonna bet that it's Asstarion.
Unless there's a huge dropoff in players within the first handful of hours my money would be on Minthara. The statistics show that a majority of players side with the druids which means they'll kill all three leaders in the goblin camp and Minthara is one of them.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.
I kinda sit in an opposite boat. I DO like the "loose" narrative, yet I don't think it lacks cohesion since every quest is somehow linked to the overall narrative which leads to a lack of redundant and illogical side or even fetch questing.
Nah, I meant something more like problems with... oversaturation? There's an every spice in this soup.

The main storyline started with illithid space ship falling down in hell. That's two themes you probably shouldn't combine, unless you are going for wacky Planescape setting. And they start level 1 game with it.
Add origin character to this and you also might happen to be an ex-lover of Mystra with a netheril nuke up your ass.

:bioware:

And it seems there will be even more? Shar? Thultanthar maybe? Dead three? More devils, that's for sure. Gives me a headache.
Gale does have the most retarded background in the game. He fucks the goddess, claims he still adores her and goes around cheating with the very first no name fuck he finds while hiding a nuclear bomb until you feed him 3 magic items. Piece of shit, i will rip his hand off in the next run.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating,
Or they can go back to how it was in the EA and let players choose if they want play in hetero, bi or gay romance mode. Which still would leave the problem of not being able to foster any relationship to companions in a non-sexual way.
Really, was that an option you could take?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm more interested to see which companion got killed off the most.

Gonna bet that it's Asstarion.
Unless there's a huge dropoff in players within the first handful of hours my money would be on Minthara. The statistics show that a majority of players side with the druids which means they'll kill all three leaders in the goblin camp and Minthara is one of them.

I didn't even know you could recruit her. I massacred the goblin camp.

Probably should've tipped me off that she came with underwear and if you loot all her stuff, she ends up naked.

I just thought that was Larian being degenerate, but now it makes sense.

Herumor

Scholar
Anyone here played or playing an evil playthrough? I've started up with the Dark Urge now, just curious how rewarding in content it's going to be.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
That's two themes you probably shouldn't combine, unless you are going for wacky Planescape setting.

I kinda like the weirdness. It even gets more weird in Chapter 2. I don't dare to say "Planescape Torment" quality weird, but you can't say it lacks originality.

As Grunker pointed it out, it's like your crazy nerd GM throws a lot of crazy stuff at you at all times. We have enough basic bitch CRPGs already that scratch that vanilla adventure itch.

But that is highly subjective, I get it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Elthosian

Arcane
What do you think Steam is?
I'm playing it on GoG, though.
They have stats for that too if you're using their launcher to play the game. Either the Lardlauncher or the gog launcher
Sure, but it can't be from achievements alone, since there are no achievements for just picking a race. But this is a minor thing, just curious where they get the info from.
Cloud saves?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating,
Or they can go back to how it was in the EA and let players choose if they want play in hetero, bi or gay romance mode. Which still would leave the problem of not being able to foster any relationship to companions in a non-sexual way.
Really, was that an option you could take?

I thought so, it was brought up multiple times here.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
That's two themes you probably shouldn't combine, unless you are going for wacky Planescape setting.

I kinda like the weirdness. It even gets more weird in Chapter 2. I don't dare to say "Planescape Torment" quality weird, but you can't say it lacks originality.

As Grunker pointed it out, it's like your crazy nerd GM throws a lot of crazy stuff at you at all times. We have enough basic bitch CRPGs already that scratch that vanilla adventure itch.

I just don't understand the setting. We have gods, devils, and what not, and still, the mindworm seems to be beyond them. I'm having a hard time determining the power level of each actor.

Hagashager

Educated
:mca:

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

Are there any bedraggled peasants just trying to plow their fields in this game?

To be fair, that is very much Forgotten Realms. It's part of what I don't like about the setting. Even low-magic stories still involve supernatural circumstances and characters interacting with Void-Walkers and Abyssal creatures.

MerchantKing

Learned
They have stats for that too if you're using their launcher to play the game. Either the Lardlauncher or the gog launcher
Sure, but it can't be from achievements alone, since there are no achievements for just picking a race. But this is a minor thing, just curious where they get the info from.
Steam and gog record playtime. Though for in-game things, it's likely just estimates based on something some polls like a Nielson rating for TV. Those numbers might not even be true if they're even derived in such a way.

Zayne

Scholar
So, I got an option to save the world early
BDLfj6N.jpg

But you know what would be really cool? If everyone but Gale could teleport away. And then in act 3 we would be saving Illithid-infested Baldur's Gate

Shrimp

Liturgist

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

Are there any bedraggled peasants just trying to plow their fields in this game?

To be fair, that is very much Forgotten Realms. It's part of what I don't like about the setting. Even low-magic stories still involve supernatural circumstances and characters interacting with Void-Walkers and Abyssal creatures.
Not really a spoiler at this but point but I'll mark it anyway
Act 2 takes place in a total wasteland so it makes sense for it to be barren and (almost) completely devoid of people. Once you get to the actual city there are plenty of ragged peasants and beggars though.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

It's still pretty mild compared to something like Pathfinders Golarion. At the end the campaign settings of many RPG are not created to convey a realistic world but to enable all sorts of adventuring.

That said, Pillars of Eternity was more toned down and mundane in that way. We all know Eder was the one bro companion everyone is missing all of a sudden.

Hagashager

Educated

It's still pretty mild compared to something like Pathfinders Golarion. At the end the campaign settings of many RPG are not created to convey a realistic world but to enable all sorts of adventuring.

That said, Pillars of Eternity was more toned down and mundane in that way. We all know Eder was the one bro companion everyone is missing all of a sudden.
I know the 'Dex has a problem with PoE 1 and 2, but I think Eora still has potential. Both games do a good job blending mundane Renaissance-Era life with High Fantasy. It's a shame so much of it can be bland. The pieces are all there and occasionally they fit together.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I just don't understand the setting. We have gods, devils, and what not, and still, the mindworm seems to be beyond them. I'm having a hard time determining the power level of each actor.

See, what you have to understand about the gods in DnD is that they're idiots due to generally poor writing. They're like greek gods with 50 IQ on crack.

For example, Shar is literally a god of primordial darkness and one of the oldest gods in existence. Acts like a teenage edgelord bitch.

Mystra is one of the most powerful beings in existence, being literally the goddess of magic. Spends her free time fucking Gale of all people.

People write it off by saying that the gods have to maintain balance (their actual job, btw) or their hands are tied because of their boss, Ao. But the real answer is that DnD has had a long tradition of awful writers and BG3 is glad to continue the tradition.

Here's a list of the most upper-tier entities involved in BG3 from strongest to least strong (might be missing a few):

• Mystra
  • Shar/Selune
  • The Dead Three
  • Netherbrain with the crown
  • Vlaakith
  • Elminster
  • Rapheal

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

When you signed the EULA to play you agreed to let them gather data for what you do in the game. Larian sold this as a Games as a Service model.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Chapter 2:

:philosoraptor:

Forgotten Realms and popular other PnP setting are a giant complete mess by design. It's a necessity of the business model.
Release more and more content, more and more lore. See what sticks. See what nerds will buy and use in PnP.

In a PnP environment, it's moderated by a GM selecting some cool stuff from this giant messy buffet. Or at least that's how we rolled.
Baldur's Gate 1 is also a good example of achieving comfy low level mundane mood in Forgotten Realms.

Seeing FR treated in a straightforward manner, in it's full horrible glory, without any moderation... is headache-inducing.

But you can pick up a goblin and throw him into flames, so... fuck the story, lol.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Let's hope the new patch fixes the horniness issue. Seems to bother most people (aside from the bugs)
I'm not sure "horniness" is anything that can be patched, anyway.
The problem is that the entire system of relationship with companions seems to be designed as some sort of wannabe-dating sim, where approval is automatically equated to romantic affection, rather than considering the build up of friendship/trust/camaraderie the default for most companions and "romance" something that the player needs to actively chase.
It could work for a specific character when deliberately part of their narrative (i.e. "Selune is a slut and a creep by design") but it's really weird when extended to the entire party.
For instance apparently Halsin thought that offering him a drink during a celebration was equivalent to manifest romantic interest toward him and was really disappointed to learn that's not the case... and I already talked in a previous post about how Gale had this "Time to choose between me or Shadowheart" out of nowhere in the middle of Act 2, which was pretty fucking weird.

There is only one solution how this might be patched. You gotta up the threshold for approval (by a lot), maybe record some throwaway voicelines more, then make it a distinct player decision if you want to trigger the romance (or not).

There's a mod already that tones down spring loaded jumps in the approval rating (which i heard can even make you miss dialog lines lel). I haven't tried it but one problem i can forsee with that is that it forces you to start sucking up to the NPCs and "game" the correct responses. The way it is now you can basically roleplay how you want and can still "fix" it later if you want to pacify an angry NPC because of how big a bonus you get from the origin quests themselves.

The only real solution is to separate the sex shit from the approval rating, which is how Bioware did it and how it should have been done to begin with. The way it is now is just nonsensical. You do an action that a certain NPC approves of unrelated to anything even remotely romantic and suddenly he wants to fuck you.

Besides the romance aspect, what do you think of the game so far? Truly interested.

Too early to comment. I can only play for a couple of hours a day and i'm sort of a slow player by nature, so i'm making progress at an extremely glacial pace compared to everybody else here.

Even on tactical combat so far is retardedly easy but again i'm barely fresh out of the tutorial so it's unfair to judge it now. As far as turn based games go it feels relatively smooth at least but that impression could also be premature since the size of the encounters so far have been pretty modest.

As far as the skill check system goes, it just seems too easy to trivialize through save scumming and while i'm pretty good at using self-control or creating house rules in those kind of games it just seems cheap that you can win every check depending on how autistic you are.

The attention to details and interactivity is not something i've tested to any great extend and will only probably revealt itself as i go further and figure out what can and cannot be done with the stuff you see in the world.

Of the few quests i've seen, i appreciated there were peaceful solutions for most of them all though through reloading it doesn't seem there are as many consequences for your actions as it appears at first. NPCs outside of the origin ones don't have that same reddit tier quirkiness where everything they say has to sound try hard or smart ass, at least the ones i encountered so far. I got the whole tiefling/druid camp to talk to and i think that will probably give me a more substantial impression of how dialog and NPCs are handled in this world. For now they sound like they always do in games like this which is not a bad thing since it could have gone a lot worse. In fact after Pillars i sort appreciate a game that doesn't try to make me miserable at every step of the way. If it wasn't for the woke deneracy i'd actually enjoy this game more precisely for being cheerful and inoffensive, given that everything else out there is so fucking depressive.

The presentation is ok. The visuals aren't bad and the detail is good enough but the rendering is just wierd. No matter the settings i use the visuals are either grainy or fuzzy and somehow objects are sometimes hard to see. Like sometimes when i backtrack i notice i missed something just because it is sometimes hard to spot lootable things.

Camera is atrocious and i'm getting nightmarish flashbacks from NWN2. I'm at a point i'm actually considering using a controller just move around the world and switch back to keyboard and mouse during combat. Wish you could toggle loot highlight on and off instead of having to hold alt all the time too. Also, edge panning is just broken i constantly have to hit wasd to make it move with the mouse and it happens often enough but i'm not even bothering to use the mouse anymore, i just use the keyboard. Camera is also shit when dealing with altitude.

UI is ok. Not great but not that dreadful either just somewhat uninspired (moving items is particulary cumbersome for some reason). I dislike the icons for skills and spells, and i also think the effects of spells in the game are relatively unremarkable.

Voice acting and animations during scenes are good enough. People complained the animations are shit. I personally think they look pretty good considering the amount of stuff they had to animate in the game. Yeah sure if you only have an handful of ingame scenes or cinematics you can make it look really good but with a game like this where you can potentially have hundreds of quests you just have to settle for a certain standard and after that you just need to be consisent and i think this game meets this criteria pretty well.

I had a few more first impressions i wanted to report but i sort of forgot while i was writing this lmao.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom