Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
They put all this cringe fag stuff in the game but the vast majority of players are regular guys romancing shadow pussy and missing a bro party member.

I re rolled dark urge and thoroughly enjoyed chopping off the faggot wizards hand lul

Jaunty

Literate
:mca:

Chapter 2:
I really like the overall vibe. Exploring the cursed land and returning to comfy inn with chill music. Good stuff.
Larian can make top quality "set piece", but the main storyline still seems like confused garbage. We'll see how it develops.

Also, this game severely lacks... normal stuff? Mundane village... tavern... common folk without horns talking about harvest. Gosh, I miss that...
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

Are there any bedraggled peasants just trying to plow their fields in this game?

To be fair, that is very much Forgotten Realms. It's part of what I don't like about the setting. Even low-magic stories still involve supernatural circumstances and characters interacting with Void-Walkers and Abyssal creatures.

:philosoraptor:

Forgotten Realms and popular PnP setting are a giant complete mess by design. It's a necessity of the business model.
Release more and more content, more and more lore. See what sticks. See what nerds will buy and use in PnP.

In a PnP environment, it's moderated by a GM selecting some cool stuff from this giant messy buffet. Or at least that's how we rolled.
Baldur's Gate 1 is also a good example of achieving comfy low level mundane mood in Forgotten Realms.

Seeing FR treated in a straightforward manner, in it's full horrible glory, without any moderation... is headache-inducing.

But you can pick up a goblin and throw him into flames, so... fuck the story, lol.
I think it's a matter of pacing. Neverwinter Night 2 started you off in a swamp bitchfighting lizardfolk, so it actually felt like a big deal when you went to the Fugue Plane in the expansion.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Everything I've seen of BG 3 thus far has looked acutely High-Fantasy. I've eeen far *far* more Red-Skinned Tieflings as NPCs than any other race or class. Everywhere any of these walkthroughs go there's glowing shit, otherworldly nonesense and a general lack of normalcy.

It's still pretty mild compared to something like Pathfinders Golarion. At the end the campaign settings of many RPG are not created to convey a realistic world but to enable all sorts of adventuring.

That said, Pillars of Eternity was more toned down and mundane in that way. We all know Eder was the one bro companion everyone is missing all of a sudden.
I know the 'Dex has a problem with PoE 1 and 2, but I think Eora still has potential. Both games do a good job blending mundane Renaissance-Era life with High Fantasy. It's a shame so much of it can be bland. The pieces are all there and occasionally they fit together.

I agree on the setting. What made PoE "bad" (especially now in comparison to BG3) was the pretentious and bloated writing.

MerchantKing

Learned
What do you think Steam is?
I'm playing it on GoG, though.
They have stats for that too if you're using their launcher to play the game. Either the Lardlauncher or the gog launcher
Sure, but it can't be from achievements alone, since there are no achievements for just picking a race. But this is a minor thing, just curious where they get the info from.

When you signed the EULA to play you agreed to let them gather data for what you do in the game. Larian sold this as a Games as a Service model.
Interesting. Good thing I blocked all this stuff with the windows firewall.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What do you think Steam is?
I'm playing it on GoG, though.
They have stats for that too if you're using their launcher to play the game. Either the Lardlauncher or the gog launcher
Sure, but it can't be from achievements alone, since there are no achievements for just picking a race. But this is a minor thing, just curious where they get the info from.

When you signed the EULA to play you agreed to let them gather data for what you do in the game. Larian sold this as a Games as a Service model.
Interesting.

Always read the EULA and terms and conditions.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, do tieflings look like that because of 5E? They all look the same, i thought the demonic traits were supposed to be varied and sometimes hard to spot?

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
As far as the skill check system goes, it just seems too easy to trivialize through save scumming and while i'm pretty good at using self-control or creating house rules in those kind of game

Yes, that is something I would advise.

Often, "failing a check" does not mean you "loosing", but only different outcome/problem solving for the task at hand. If you put on a PnP-Mindset and just roll with it, you will have more fun I think.

Camera is atrocious and i'm getting nightmarish flashbacks from NWN2

In the settings you can "north" the map, that helped me a lot in orientation. You can also set the camera to follow your movement automatically so you don't have to manually have to rotate the camera.

Also you can rotate the camera with the center mouse wheel, which is much more smooth thant with Q and E.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Made general improvements to cameras, facial reactions, and movements in a dialogue at camp with Wyll.
Oh yeah, I know of those movements:
Jesus, Wyll's idle animation in camp... crazy moves.

DTRRlB4.jpg

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
BTW, do tieflings look like that because of 5E? They all look the same, i thought the demonic traits were supposed to be varied and sometimes hard to spot?

Those Tieflings you meet in the druid grove were mostly humans once, as far as I gatherd. There city Elturel was dragged down to the hells due to hellish plot or conspiracy or something, refering to the Prequel-D&D campaign "Descent to Avernus" or something.

That's why they all behave very "human".

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
These "romances" are really lazy in retrospect what is it one scene per act and most of them are just talking?

I feel like Da:O had better talking. I didn't rest as much as I should have because I ran one bard (has 3 short rests) and 3 martials. Having to sleep for dialogue is fucking stupid also if you sleep you won't get the same event you reloaded for if you have more than one pending.
A lot of things on this game will be fixed by mods.

Maybe some tome in the camp you click for pending story scenes or to replay previous ones. That would be very good. Oh and they can add items that are actually good.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Always read the EULA and terms and conditions.
Always read legal generic boilerplate that isn't even genuinely reflective of what companies do and doesn't change what they're legally allowed to or prohibited from doing? Why even?

That's the one dialogue box you can safely skip.

Because it's a contract moron. Are you going to go cry now?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I finished the Gauntlet of Shar but haven't left yet, so my current take on the game as a whole:
It looks and sounds great. The presentation is faultless, the various areas look fantastic.
Combat is so-so, the AI can be very stupid, 5E is a boring ruleset. Nothing surprising there. At least the barrelmancy and ground effects are kept to a minimum.
Most spells, especially buffs, are completely pointless. The ones that aren't are so far ahead of the rest there's no reason not to always use them. It's feast or famine there.
UI is shit.
Too much clutter, typical Larian problem. You hit Alt and see Silver Tray Silver Spoon Silver Spoon Rotten Tomato Gold Basket Dragon Dildo Rotten Eggs.
Reactivity was a lie. As I said before, the game doesn't react to the player. The only instance I've actually noticed any reactivity was when the Tiefling kids recounted what I did for them at the Last Light Inn. Unless all my decisions come home to roost once I reach Baldurs Gate, but I doubt it. Mass Effect had more reactivity than this game.

I can totally see why it wows the usual journos and romohomos though, it's designed from the ground up to appeal to those people. That's why it's so easy and romances progress so quickly.

N'wah

Novice
I'm enjoying this game, but lets be honest its success (97 on Metacritic?) is almost entirely derived by its nu-Bioware presentation and tapping into the current nerd zeitgeist (Critical Role faggotry). The lesson for a game dev like Bioware is not to make their more games more like BG3, but to unfuck their leadership. It's a joke that it takes a decade to make a new Dragon Age game considering Inquistion was meh but still impressed the game journos enough to win GOTY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom