Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Companion Interactions were done well in early versions- you pick who you like, then the rest just fuck off and never hit on you. As it should be.

They chose to add multiple simultaneous romances and butchered the whole system.

This would have been a practical improvement over what we got, granted, but the better solution (I mean, if one insists on companion romances and/or including gay shit at all) would be to give each companion a set sexual preference. Anything less is a fault in characterization.

From another perspective, refusing to characterize them properly is still a characterization, it's just that every companion is in fact pansexual. Each player can experience a facet of a character who is, at core, inchoate and pansexual. I think it's sociologically interesting that the default or compromise solution to thorny issues of sexual identity appears to be converging on pansexuality. 10 years ago the progressive rhetoric was "you have your preference, I have mine," and now it is perhaps becoming that sexual "preference" is by definition exclusionary and morally questionable.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The final combat encounters are the worst thing in the game by far.

Climatic showdown? Here, have twenty low-level mobs that present no challenge at all! I'm not shitting you, most of it is intellect devourers and lv1 goblins.

How do we alleviate this? You can summon your own 20 low-level mobs!

Now a single round can take 20 minutes!

:deathclaw:

Thanks for the tip I'm just about to enter the point of no return. I'll put some bloodlust elixers on my martials.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
BTW, do tieflings look like that because of 5E? They all look the same, i thought the demonic traits were supposed to be varied and sometimes hard to spot?
Even in 2E, you had horns, scales, goat legs and rat tails. Not necessarily hard to spot in most cases.

But yeah, 5E seemed to boil it down to "horns".

https://www.dndbeyond.com/races/7-tiefling
Tieflings are derived from human bloodlines, and in the broadest possible sense, they still look human. However, their infernal heritage has left a clear imprint on their appearance. Tieflings have large horns that take any of a variety of shapes: some have curling horns like a ram, others have straight and tall horns like a gazelle’s, and some spiral upward like an antelopes’ horns. They have thick tails, four to five feet long, which lash or coil around their legs when they get upset or nervous. Their canine teeth are sharply pointed, and their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil. Their skin tones cover the full range of human coloration, but also include various shades of red. Their hair, cascading down from behind their horns, is usually dark, from black or brown to dark red, blue, or purple.
Whereas 2E's Planescape Campaign Setting:
They can be described as humans who've been plane-touched. A shadow of knife-edge in their face, a little too much fire in their eyes, a scent of ash in their presence - all these things and more describe a tiefling. No planar would mistake a tiefling for a human, and most primes make the mistake only once.
And the 2E Monstrous Compendium Appendix for Planescape:
Tieflings are the offspring of the planes, as varied as the places they call home. Superficially human, their appearance always betrays them: some sport small horns, other have pointed ears, scales, a cloven hoof, or just a wicked gleam in their eye that never leaves. What they all have in common is a quick temper and a chip on their shoulder. They’re often confused with alu-fiends, erinyes, incubi, and succubi (which they’ll forgive), but never call a tiefling a bastard or a halfbreed. He’ll take it personal-like. Plane-touched is the word, or “sir” or “lady.”

Ironically, I think the way tieflings were in the Planescape setting was born of censorship. TSR wanted to get away from straight up demonic stuff, so that's why we had Tanar'ri and Baatezu instead of demons and devils. The plane-touched weren't simply demon half-breeds, they could have been anything, or had any trait. Simply having horns alone wouldn't have been acceptable, as it'd be seen as too satanic.

3rd Edition brought the names back, since Wizards clearly doesn't care about being seen as satanic, especially today.

I find it interesting that censoring satanic stuff led to the setting becoming more creative. But now that the censorship is gone, it's dumbed down into demonic horns on everything.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I hope Larian will get to work on a Planescape: Torment sequel next. The Nameless One could be the Genderless One and we'd travel around the material plane having buttsecks with creatures of all different races. Party banter would be much elevated, like the scene wherein one can violently throat-fuck Dak'kon on a table of the Smoldering Corpse Bar while Morte's licking your bunghole. Also, to give a nod to the original game, the theme of the game could be 'What can change the nature of a straight white man', which could be a fascinating subject in the hands of our Belgium masters of prose. (spoiler: the answer is 'playing BG3')
If Chris Avellone were the lead writer, nearly the entire Codex would play a Larian-developed PS:T2. What can change the nature of a Codexer? :M

Avellone was one of the hightlights in Pillars. Even if he adapted to the general depressing tone of the setting he still came up with something interesting.

The fact he is a meme in the Codex shouldn't make people lose sight of the fact when he puts his mind into it he can actually deliver. I think if he had written the NPCs in this game he would have come up with a better way to make them unique than shit like "lol i have a bomb inside me feed me magic shit" and so on.

While it's too early for me to say i suspect in the long run the companions will be seen as the Achilles heel of this game. There's just something about them that wants to make me dislike them, even apart for the gay shit.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know about others but party members and interactions is one of my favorite aspects of party based rpgs. For all bioware criticism they always delivered on that aspect for me. I always had that male comradery and that really made me feel like we were brothers who had each other's backs in life and death situations.

You had Garrus in mass effect. Loved the moment when you did the shooting competition with him and you could miss on purpose and he said the line about this being his favorite place in the citadel. Actually hilarious and great male comradery.

Alistar was awesome in DAO. Great bro and funny. I was happy to marry him with the queen and encourage him to be king because he was my boy.

I don't expect these faggots and soys at Larian to ever be able to capture the vibe and comradery between two masculine men (especially warriors/soldiers) bonding and forming a friendship

Edit: also had Canderous in Kotor.
I have brotherly comradery with goobers like Wyll, spergs like Gale, and even scoundrels like Astarion in rl. A lot depends on what you bring to the table too.

Took me awhile to unlock the code for the brocephuses you esteem - being a sperg myself - but running out of fucks to give helped with that. So did living around black dudes a lot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, do tieflings look like that because of 5E? They all look the same, i thought the demonic traits were supposed to be varied and sometimes hard to spot?
Even in 2E, you had horns, scales, goat legs and rat tails. Not necessarily hard to spot in most cases.

But yeah, 5E seemed to boil it down to "horns".

https://www.dndbeyond.com/races/7-tiefling
Tieflings are derived from human bloodlines, and in the broadest possible sense, they still look human. However, their infernal heritage has left a clear imprint on their appearance. Tieflings have large horns that take any of a variety of shapes: some have curling horns like a ram, others have straight and tall horns like a gazelle’s, and some spiral upward like an antelopes’ horns. They have thick tails, four to five feet long, which lash or coil around their legs when they get upset or nervous. Their canine teeth are sharply pointed, and their eyes are solid colors—black, red, white, silver, or gold—with no visible sclera or pupil. Their skin tones cover the full range of human coloration, but also include various shades of red. Their hair, cascading down from behind their horns, is usually dark, from black or brown to dark red, blue, or purple.
Whereas 2E's Planescape Campaign Setting:
They can be described as humans who've been plane-touched. A shadow of knife-edge in their face, a little too much fire in their eyes, a scent of ash in their presence - all these things and more describe a tiefling. No planar would mistake a tiefling for a human, and most primes make the mistake only once.
And the 2E Monstrous Compendium Appendix for Planescape:
Tieflings are the offspring of the planes, as varied as the places they call home. Superficially human, their appearance always betrays them: some sport small horns, other have pointed ears, scales, a cloven hoof, or just a wicked gleam in their eye that never leaves. What they all have in common is a quick temper and a chip on their shoulder. They’re often confused with alu-fiends, erinyes, incubi, and succubi (which they’ll forgive), but never call a tiefling a bastard or a halfbreed. He’ll take it personal-like. Plane-touched is the word, or “sir” or “lady.”

Ironically, I think the way tieflings were in the Planescape setting was born of censorship. TSR wanted to get away from straight up demonic stuff, so that's why we had Tanar'ri and Baatezu instead of demons and devils. The plane-touched weren't simply demon half-breeds, they could have been anything, or had any trait. Simply having horns alone wouldn't have been acceptable, as it'd be seen as too satanic.

3rd Edition brought the names back, since Wizards clearly doesn't care about being seen as satanic, especially today.

I find it interesting that censoring satanic stuff led to the setting becoming more creative. But now that the censorship is gone, it's dumbed down into demonic horns on everything.

I see.

Yeah my perception of tieflings was based on Torment and that description from 2E, especially the part about the gleam in their eyes being the only visible trait in some cases (also the fact they mention a palanr would never mistake a tiefling for a human, which implies they CAN be mistaken for humans in principle). Because of that description i also assumed Annah's being self conscious about her tail was due to it being a perculiarly notable manifestation, as opposed to stuff like strange eyes or small horns one could hide in their hairs etc.

But i guess tieflings now are just straight up horned devil looking satyrs.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I don't know about others but party members and interactions is one of my favorite aspects of party based rpgs. For all bioware criticism they always delivered on that aspect for me. I always had that male comradery and that really made me feel like we were brothers who had each other's backs in life and death situations.

You had Garrus in mass effect. Loved the moment when you did the shooting competition with him and you could miss on purpose and he said the line about this being his favorite place in the citadel. Actually hilarious and great male comradery.

Alistar was awesome in DAO. Great bro and funny. I was happy to marry him with the queen and encourage him to be king because he was my boy.

I don't expect these faggots and soys at Larian to ever be able to capture the vibe and comradery between two masculine men (especially warriors/soldiers) bonding and forming a friendship

I have brotherly comradery with goobers like Wyll, spergs like Gale, and even scoundrels like Astarion in rl. A lot depends on what you bring to the table too.

Took me awhile to unlock the code for the brocephuses you esteem - being a sperg myself - but running out of fucks to give helped with that. So did living around black dudes a lot.

This weirdly reads like "I have gay sex with black dudes all the time :smug:"

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Seems like you unlocked the true meaning of "tolerance". Which is one of the most abused words in modern political landscape.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Narrator: The title proudly announces this thread to be: "Mating Rituals of Codexers"
Mating rituals require a presence of female, and we don't have any of those on Codex tho. (No Infinitron, the tranny doesn't count as a woman)
We need to lure Lilura back to the Codex so that she can deliver an authoritative analysis of both Baldur's Gate 3 and Jagged Alliance 3.

bTuVPQ4.jpg

Reinhardt

Arcane
bear rapekilled everyone in the gobbo jail including annoying gobbo kids and fled to the grove before i could find him. based.

Reinhardt

Arcane
bear rapekilled everyone in the gobbo jail including annoying gobbo kids and fled to the grove before i could find him. based.
Which is stupid as if you fight him with the goblins they ass rape him without problem.
probably because you dragging him down. hard to kill gobbos and protec bunch of useless "adventurers" at same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom