Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Avarize

Magister
Still no companions I like. The drow lady has such a deep and raspy voice. It's unnerving. I hope some mod changes that.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Climatic showdown? Here, have twenty low-level mobs that present no challenge at all! I'm not shitting you, most of it is intellect devourers and lv1 goblins.
How do we alleviate this? You can summon your own 20 low-level mobs!
Now a single round can take 20 minutes!
That's a plus in my book. :incline:

I loved the final fight in Curse against Tyranthraxus, and battling the Beholder Core, and even mobs of kobolds in PoR.
I'd intentionally start a three way New Reno faction fight in Fallout 2, and replay the Regulator fight in Fallout 1.
(I was able to save Zimmerman more than once; but the town always seems to turn hostile afterwards.)

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

MerchantKing

Learned
bear rapekilled everyone in the gobbo jail including annoying gobbo kids and fled to the grove before i could find him. based.
Not only is he a homosexual, but a pedophile? Incredibly woke of Larian.
gnomes are not people.
cool it with the antinanatic remarks.

Would you be upset if I removed gnomes from my game?
Yes. Very upset.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
After I slaughtered the grove inhabitants Halsin showed up at my camp and attempted bear rape on me. Fortunately my companions gay lovers were there to stop him.

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist
wtf bros spying on me with tadpoles and shit

nzFNG2N.png

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Level 5, cleared the goblin camp. So far I like the homebrewing they did to the 5e ruleset. Thief subclass is actually worthwhile since they get second bonus action and it's easier to fulfill sneak attack conditions compared to tabletop. Dual wielding also doesn't feel as useless, though I haven't tried it on fighter or ranger. And GWM + Polearm Mastery combo isn't as attractive option here since you have more stuff to use bonus action on and ability score feels like it matters more. STR doesn't feel such a dump stat on characters who don't use it to attack since jumping is so vital for mobility.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
In all honesty, that's what Swen is actually missing: a good writer.
I think some of the stuff he has in the game is well-written for a game. Equal to BG2.

The problem is zoomer/coomer mentality. You need instant gratification - usually sexual. You need everyone to be a super special snowflake.

These are the two main problems with the characters as is, besides the obvious LGBLT stuff, which is related.
make them unique than shit like "lol i have a bomb inside me feed me magic shit" and so on.
The uniqueness is most of the problem. You'll see later on about that. But that's a byproduct of this being an effectively higher level campaign than BG1, and of giving them all long questlines. BG1 capped you at what 5E would consider level 6 or 7. (In my estimation.) Each of them has to be more interesting in order to hold the interest of players for their quests over a long time, and dealing with powerful enemies in the late game. Some normal character isn't going to have that.

I think that's why BG2 eliminated many of the original cast of NPCs and went with a stripped down list of the more interesting or memorable ones. Edwin and Minsc were cartoon characters. Jaheira had harper drama and Elminster coming to intervene personally. Viconia was being hunted by Lloth. You still had more normal characters like Korgan, Keldorn, Cernd, Valygar, Mazzy, but each of them were already experienced, with friends and enemies that made them facing higher-level enemies natural. The exception being Nalia, but she was special in her own, and offered the player a stronghold.

Also, you don't need to feed Gale magic items forever. It's only in Act 1. I think it was originally, in part, to give the player something to motivate them to deal with the druid grove instead of just dealing with the goblins, or skipping things entirely. Originally, Gale would ask you to help him steal the magic idol in the druid grove. But this results in the druids murdering the tieflings if you don't investigate Kaga first. So, if you wanted to be good and keep Gale, you'd need to do both. If you wanted to be evil, it fell in line with killing the grove one way or another. Eventually, the concept was dropped, and now you just feed Gale some normal magic items.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
The uniqueness is most of the problem. You'll see later on about that. But that's a byproduct of this being an effectively higher level campaign than BG1. BG1 capped you at what 5E would consider level 6 or 7. (In my estimation.) Each of them has to be more interesting in order to hold the interest of players for their quests over a long time, and dealing with powerful enemies in the late game. Some normal character isn't going to have that.

With how much Larian borderd on bancrutpcy in the last 10 years, I imagine they wanted to go all in on the epic feel because no one knew this game would be that popular.
Going "basic" and then deliver on the "high level feel" in a potential but maybe unlikely sequel, probably would've been the higher risk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom